thomasphoto60

IAH & SFO On AI's Radar?

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:57 am

According to the NYT, IAH and SFO will be serviced by AI at years end. Cautiously optimistic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/27/business/worldbusiness/27india.html

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

jacobin777

RE: IAH & SFO On AI's Radar?

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:59 am

interesting...though I was hoping PK would fly out of SFO/SJC or LAX with the 777-200LR...... Sad
"Up the Irons!"

jaysit

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:02 am

The article also got the A/C wrong.

It should be 773, not 737.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

cathay747

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:56 am

And IIRC AI has indicated they plan to fly to IAD, but this is the first I've heard about IAH!
Try a Little VC-10derness

mrniji

Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:55 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 1):
interesting...though I was hoping PK would fly out of SFO/SJC or LAX with the 777-200LR......

What does one have to do with the other???

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 2):
It should be 773, not 737.

It is interesting to see how this error has been carried forward through different newspapers. Some Indian journalist talked about the brandnew 737-200 LR, and many newspapers c&p this error forward
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

shawnnyc

Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:08 pm

I would have thought IAD would come before IAH. DC's Indian population is significantly higher than Houston's. SF needs to be added ASAP. Up to the mid 90's LA used to have a higher Indian population than SF. Now if you use the Census department's updated numbers since the 2000 census, the SF metro has about 235,000 Indians while LA has about about 145,000 (not to mention more business traffic to India). SF has the second largest Indian population in the US after the NY metro area.

texdravid

Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:17 pm

Everyone needs to stop the "AI needs to come to xxx and NOT to yyy".

To be honest, there are enough Indians spread out over many U.S. metros to warrant AI service. Some metros will merit daily service, and others maybe several times a week. Either way, let's all hope that one day, AI will have a reach into the U.S.A. a la AF, BA, or LH.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

aseem

Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:25 pm

what is more important is that they are direct flights, or at least one stop.
not that lousy DEL-ATQ-BHX-YYZ, so something similar they are about to try from HYD/MAA.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

texdravid

Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:28 pm

I completely agree, Aseem.

AI needs direct, nonstop flights from MULTIPLE gateways to India to Europe/USA.

Stop making people in Bangalore, Madras, Hyderabad stop in BOM first before heading west. It's insulting and a waste of time.

shawnnyc

Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:19 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 8):
Stop making people in Bangalore, Madras, Hyderabad stop in BOM first before heading west. It's insulting and a waste of time.

I think insulting is a bit harsh. I have flown many times AI JFK-LHR-DEL-BOM and never felt insulted that the flight stopped in DEL so I don't know why someone in BLR should. AI needs a hub that people can easily transit in and flights from the hub that are nonstop so people can reach their destinations in one stop. US airlines rely on the fact that people will connect once (and here we have to clear customs at the first US stop even when we are supposedly on a flight say LHR-jfk-lax. In India you don't).

Its interesting that Jet / Sahara are not jumping first to fly from BLR or HYD to the West. Rather they want to fly BOM / DEL to the West first even with a TON of competition. That should speak something about the market and aviation relalities.

All of the above being said, I think Indian carriers must quickly set up secondary hubs in a smaller city to capitalize on the growth in traffic (love Sahara's HYD hub, they should fly to London from there first). At least one Indian carrier should be flying from the main Indian cities nonstop to say NYC. But I don't know if AI needs to serve all these cities nonstop to the US. I liked their FRA hub idea (which seems long forgotten).

texdravid

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:47 am

Shawn,

Well if you like BOM or DEL layovers, then keep using them. For the rest of us, many of us who are proud South Indians, we want and deserve to go to the west without stopping in BOM or DEL.

mrniji

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:05 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 10):
For the rest of us, many of us who are proud South Indians, we want and deserve to go to the west without stopping in BOM or DEL

What does that have to do of being a proud South Indian..?
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

jr

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:47 am

I don't know about the proud south indian part, but practicality makes the current AI routings a royal pain in the ass to really make it work for most of us. If AI really started easier, more practical routings with the new aircraft they have ordered, I would be all for using them on a more regular basis.

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 6):
let's all hope that one day, AI will have a reach into the U.S.A. a la AF, BA, or LH.

Now that would be nice if it ever happened. AI would have to be taken seriously by the competition if and when that happens.

p.s: OT: Has AI ever considered joining any of the alliances? Any background or info on that?
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

texdravid

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:49 am

Because we are sick and tired of having inferior service on AI. AI clearly favors and caters to the North Indians with their schedules.

That's why a lot of South Indians fly airlines that bypass BOM/DEL like LH, BA and next month, DL.

It's like if an airline only offered transatlantic flights out of JFK and IAD and a person in a place like ORD or MIA had to connect first to those cities before flying transatlantic. How long would that last in America?

jacobin777

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:56 am

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 4):
What does one have to do with the other???

none really...
"Up the Irons!"

Speedbird2025

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:59 am

Hey Thomas

Boy I sure hope we get AI by the end of this year.. That would be great!! And hopefully it will not be like CI that comes in at 0'dark thirty  Smile

How ya been by the way??

--Nathan

jaysit

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:12 am

Well, if you're a "proud" South Indian, I guess you're also a proud Indian.

But giving your business to LH, BA, AF, EK, etc, your "south indian pride" (whatever that may be, God only knows) is essentially filling European and Arab coffers.

In any case, there is no reason why Air India should have nonstops from every South Indian port just to appease your hurt sentiments. Have nonstops if it makes business sense. Its not like Lufthansa flies you nonstop to Texas from Madras - you go through its hub in FRA; ditto for AI -- you go through its western hub of BOM. The next thing you know, Mizoram will claim Mizoram pride, and Biharis will claim BIhari pride (not that they have anything to be proud of), and it will never end.

karan69

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 16):
But giving your business to LH, BA, AF, EK, etc, your "south indian pride" (whatever that may be, God only knows) is essentially filling European and Arab coffers.

Well said Jay.

I dont see Brits complaining that BA flies 90% international destinitions from it hub at LHR, they perhaps have few or no flights [transatlantic/asian] from cities of Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff etc..

Then why complain if AI takes it pax from its hubs at BOM or DEL

ConcordeBoy

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:35 am

....bet some of you would be amused to know that AI's also got its eye set big on DEN (yes, Denver).
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

aseem

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:37 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 18):

your inputs cannot be rebuffed just like that, but it is indeed surprising that they are contemplating DEN, when they are yet to fly SFO/IAH/IAD..
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

ConcordeBoy

Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:15 am

Quoting Aseem (Reply 19):
but it is indeed surprising that they are contemplating DEN

...not really, considering that the potential future pro-rate (as it currently stands projected) allows them to essentially rape the hell out of that gateway's dominant carrier.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

shawnnyc

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:48 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 10):
Shawn,

Well if you like BOM or DEL layovers, then keep using them. For the rest of us, many of us who are proud South Indians, we want and deserve to go to the west without stopping in BOM or DEL.

What does the North / South thing have to do with it? I grew up in LA, and we connected in NY for many of our Europe and India flights (just as I connect in LA today for my flights to BKK). Your issue should be with AI's limited resources and not the North/South ethnic card. AI screws everyone. Flying from BOM to the east you have to fly through DEL or MAA. That's just AI's thing...its not discrimination. Btw the group that should complain the most are Gujaratis. They are the most numerous in the States, and they have to fly EWR-CDG-BOM-AMD. But unlike you, they thanked AI for introducing same plane service to their city.

I won't comment on the North / South thing except that I can't believe people still bring that up in 2005. I, and all my other friends born here, would never describe or label someone as anything other than Indian.

trvyyz

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:49 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 13):
That's why a lot of South Indians fly airlines that bypass BOM/DEL like LH, BA and next month, DL.

Wow, now we have fight different from the 1st world and 3rd world, India-Pak etc. Now it is within India itself.

Myself being a Keralite from Trivandrum, I can have a fight on TRV and COK issue also, but I don't care.
It has got nothing to do with pride or hatred towards the north, it's like everybody loves their home place.
Personally, I would never fly out of India from BOM or even COK.
But Bombay, as a place, is one of the cities I like the most, but I wouldn't want to fly from that airport for only one reason, not because of any pride issue, it is simply inconvenient and I have better options. I can fly a dozen( exagerrated) flights from TRV completing customs/immigration. It is best to finish all formalities at the boarding point itself, if at BOM they give me some problem,deny boarding etc. I'll be nowhere.

JOYA380B747

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:39 am

AI needs direct, nonstop flights from MULTIPLE gateways to India to Europe/USA.

Exactly Texdravid,
It is high time AI must put things right. Otherwise we will see the US carriers rushing in with better connections to/from US. And then there is Jet Airways, which might spell wonders at any time.
Speaking of AI, I think along with IAH-SFO, SEA and IAD might also be considered as I had read a newspaper a month back where Praful Patel expressed his wish to fly AI to all these US majors....hope it may come true soon. Regs:
JOY
 bouncy 
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

aseem

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:49 am

Quoting JoyA380B747 (Reply 23):
I think along with IAH-SFO, SEA and IAD might also be considered

IAD is already on the agenda. SEA doesn't seem to be on AI's radar as yet, but have heard that NW might just be considering via MSP.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

mrniji

Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:26 pm

and Biharis will claim BIhari pride (not that they have anything to be proud of)

:D - Jay, as I know him..! When I was researching on sth, I found the minutes of a question session in the Lok Sabha, where the RJD demanded direct flights of AI from Patna to LON, NYC (nonstops, as they might have read that this is possible), SIN etc.. Big grin

Otherwise, I second your response.. even with EWuropean carriers, you will have to use another gateway.. so why not BOM (yack.!)? Texdravid has a point though: the South offers a great market westwards... but still: why pride? I myself am only proud of things I have achieved myself and not of things which "Bhagvan has given me", as my Panju origin.. wrong national pride leads to conflicts I do not want to subscribe to and which I cannot identify with...

Quoting Aseem (Reply 19):
your inputs cannot be rebuffed just like that, but it is indeed surprising that they are contemplating DEN, when they are yet to fly SFO/IAH/IAD..

I read similar things.. though in the frame of the MoU with LH, i.e. codeshare on LHs FRA-DEN.. which is not that surprising as DEN is a UA hub (Keyword STAR)  Wink

Quoting Shawnnyc (Reply 21):
Btw the group that should complain the most are Gujaratis.

They have a gr8 nonstop LHR-AMD (and the privillege of flying 742 for a limited rtime, as Sean said Big grin ) - they offer another big market, as many of these gujus are "proud" (see above) to fly their nationa carrier... I would not be surprised if AI flies AMD-NYC, LAX (or even BRU or so) sometimes. Some of their flights, I think those from EWR, even terminate in AMD

This brings me to another point.. best of AI to compete are good feeders to more 'remote' areas in India, as they will have an advantage towards the international competition.. but this has been discussed amongst ourselves often (keyword: merger IC). I think 9W will do much better here in the process of time

Quoting Aseem (Reply 24):
SEA doesn't seem to be on AI's radar as yet, but have heard that NW might just be considering via MSP.

And I read last year here that even Las Vegas is considered  bigthumbsup  - older anetters know what I am talking about.. lets just stay in the limit and talk about SFO and IAH (maybe IAD)...

texdravid

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:29 pm

Jaysit,

You speak like a snobbish North Indian telling us down south to shut up and accept AI whether we like it or not!

Whether you care to know or not, South Indians would rather go to the middle of Beirut rather than transit thru BOM/DEL.

I'm not asking for nonstop flights out of MAA to USA!!
When did I ever ask for THAT?!

AI seems to be using FRA as a European transit point. Fine.

Make the following:

MAA-FRA-JFK/LAX/ORD, etc
BLR-FRA-JFK/LAX/ORD, etc.
HYD-FRA-JFK/LAX/ORD, etc.

I realize that the above may not be feasible daily. Fine. Make it three times a week.

Just don't ask south Indians to do MAA-BOM-FRA-AMERICA.
Don't ask south Indians to tolerate 2 stop service to America.

MAA is India's fourth largest city and the gateway to deep South India. It deserves wide international service and if AI continue to treat it like an ugly stepchild, then as a proud south Indian I will by my checkbook, look elsewhere.

mrniji

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:53 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 26):
You speak like a snobbish North Indian telling us down south to shut up and accept AI whether we like it or not!

He is not North Indian

Whether you care to know or not, South Indians would rather go to the middle of Beirut rather than transit thru BOM/DEL.

So, you are a proud South, without the Indian?? I think your decision to rather go through BEY makes you unique

MAA-FRA-JFK/LAX/ORD

I realize that the above may not be feasible daily

There are already one a/c services MAA-BOM-FRA-USA

Don't ask south Indians to tolerate 2 stop service to America.

Well, price seems to good enough,a nd the option of not needing to leave the plane, transit at a lousy airport like LHR or CDG makes this option attractive

MAA is India's fourth largest city and the gateway to deep South India.

Well, in regard to the gateway.. I am sure the Keralites are not happy about your comment.. South India is more than Chenai and Tamil Nadu

proud south Indian

See my other quote above and Re# 25.. rather call yourself a proud South, without the Indian..

Bottomline remains that we all applaud services from South India, and that steps are gradually happening.. if this does not make you happy, go via BEY or so.. I do not understand your hate of transiting through BOM/DEL and your preference to use any other point which is out of India..

dfwking

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:59 pm

I apologize in advance for any illogical or stupid remark. This is my first post.

Hmm...After i read this post i just had to join Anet and post a reply. Texdravid, as an Indian from Chennai i would just like to say that it is insulting is just not right man. And I also believe the AI already gives the main south Indian international market enough coverage. ie: (MAA to SIN and KUL)&(Kerala to the gulf). Texdravid, To be fank i think there are more bombay and delhites in the US than south indians and i dont get why you complain about them using their meager resources to routes where money can be made. (btw..just commenting no pun intended)

But giving your business to LH, BA, AF, EK, etc, your "south Indian pride" (whatever that may be, God only knows) is essentially filling European and Arab coffers.

Come on Jay, that’s almost just as insensitive as the other comment. You know that all passengers take whatever option is best for them and are you seriously saying passengers should go through all those stopovers just to support the "national" carrier.

Waow dude, what is up with you. By the way I have transited through BOM before from MAA and it was waaay easier than even JFK and sometimes LAX.

Just as an overall comment. All south indians dont think this way.

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 27):
Well, in regard to the gateway.. I am sure the Keralites are not happy about your comment.. South India is more than Chenai and Tamil Nadu

Come on dude, dont be hate'in on the Tamils. LOL...

Anyways, what i think AI should do is have a European hub with many Indian connections or develop their BOM hub from what it is to something that can efficiently be used to transit passengers.
so fly...like a triple seven...

Nimish

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:52 pm

Anyone who likes having to change from domestic to international terminals (or v.v.) at BOM / DEL is clearly out of their mind. However, a stopover (on an international flight) at BOM / DEL is not that bad an option.

I don't know if TexDravid is referring to the need to fly 9W/S2/IC from BLR/MAA/HYD to BOM / DEL, and then take the horrendous scam of a bus to the international terminals, spend another hour going through checkin, customs, security etc., and then wait at the gate for another hour before boarding the international flight. If he is, then I tend to agree - this is an abysmal situation!

With AI's order for the 787, we should see more of non-stops BLR-FRA, MAA-FRA. Currently AI does not have the aircraft to service such a market, *hence* they loose out big time to the likes of LH/BA etc, that do offer non-stops from the southern airports.

Hell - I prefer doing the domestic-International change at MAA, rather than BOM/ DEL, since I can walk from domestic to international terminals!
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

aseem

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:03 pm

i happen to follow Texdravid's comments over a period of couple of months and I am sorry to say that he has just one issue to talk about. And from what I can gather, he hasn't spent much of his life in India. So, what he talks about is from stories he has heard from here an there. Those who have spent substantial part of their formative years in India don't talk like him.
Go take a vacation in back waters of Kerala..you really need it. And, yes AI will fly you there.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

mrniji

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:20 pm

Quoting Aseem (Reply 30):
Go take a vacation in back waters of Kerala..you really need it. And, yes AI will fly you there.

As you have mentioned yourself, the Backwaters are not in TN. Hence I seriously doubt that he will consider this place of vacation.  Wink

Quoting DFWKING (Reply 28):
Come on dude, dont be hate'in on the Tamils. LOL...

No no, I would not dare to..- otherwise a lady like Jaylalalitha (spelling) will beat me up Big grin

trvyyz

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:14 pm

Just a stupid question.
Is it possible for AI to have middle eastern hub, eg. DXB.?
Then the S.I. guys could switch from their Gulf AI flight to a European/American AI flight. Transit at DXB would be better than a domestic one. Also, no problem with the checked in baggage, customs/immigration etc.
I think DEL and BOM guys do something similar at FRA.

aseem

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:19 pm

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 32):
Transit at DXB would be better than a domestic one. Also, no problem with the checked in baggage, customs/immigration etc.
I think DEL and BOM guys do something similar at FRA.

I'd say rather than creating such a hub, it'd be better to wait till BOM and DEL airports are revamped and AI starts bunch of direct flights to US. Direct to Europe already exist.
Would wonder why UAE will allow such an arrangement when EK is "sheikh" over there.
Yes you're right AI passenger so similar stuff at FRA for onward journey to LAX/ORD.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

trvyyz

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:25 pm

Quoting Aseem (Reply 33):
Would wonder why UAE will allow such an arrangement when EK is "sheikh" over there.

They squeeze all the money from the Indians. They better allow, they need us more than we need them. Easier said than done. AI should think of getting back all the money going to these M.E. guys.

jaysit

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:54 pm

I'm not North Indian, and I'm not telling you to accept AI's hub service from BOM. Gosh, you can fly Ariana if you want. Its your $$$. But when you start dangling your Dravidian pride, then you're up for ridicule.

Then they should.
Beirut is lovely this time of the year.
I understand that Iraqi Airways is beginning operations this year too. I'm sure the Idlis made at the Baghdad inflight catering center are delicious too. If all else fails, you can use them as a shield for bullets.

Come on Jay, that’s almost just as insensitive as the other comment. You know that all passengers take whatever option is best for them and are you seriously saying passengers should go through all those stopovers just to support the "national" carrier.

I'm saying no such thing.
It's just a sarcastic response to A.net's very own Jayalalitha doing her proud South Indian Bharat Natyam. Besides, what do you mean by "all those" stopovers? If you flew say Delta or Northwest from points in the US that don't have nonstop DL or NW flights to CDG or AMS, then you'd be making a 2 stop flight to India through their North American hubs anyways.

Please. South Indians, like South Americans or South Togonese or South Martians will take the flight that costs the least. Btw, I hope that you make a big racket on an airplane when Helga trots out on Lufti and barks "Cheeeken or Beeeeef" and says "No, No Idlis, vaat do you theenk thees ees? Air India?"

mrniji

Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:01 pm

These are by far the funniest comments I read on anet  bigthumbsup  !!!

Please keep on going, a good change! Big grin

Great, excellent, brilliant!

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 35):
Gosh, you can fly Ariana if you want. Its your $$$. But when you start dangling your Dravidian pride, then you're up for ridicule.

I understand that Iraqi Airways is beginning operations this year too. I'm sure the Idlis made at the Baghdad inflight catering center are delicious too. If all else fails, you can use them as a shield for bullets.

It's just a sarcastic response to A.net's very own Jayalalitha doing her proud South Indian Bharat Natyam.

Btw, I hope that you make a big racket on an airplane when Helga trots out on Lufti and barks "Cheeeken or Beeeeef" and says "No, No Idlis, vaat do you theenk thees ees? Air India?"

trvyyz

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:44 am

Come on I guys, stop the South and North fight.
I would love to see a BOM and DEL fight instead. bigthumbsup 

texdravid

Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:21 am

I can't believe that all of you guys who criticize me can't understand that the significant population base in Madras deserves and needs direct flights to Europe and beyond without stopping in BOM/DEL.

Before you criticize me further, why are you so against MAA have as many international flights to Europe and beyond? I mean, why do guys care, anyway?

I have spent much time in Chennai and the south and your comments about idlis and such are insensitive and boorish. I have personally gone to India about twice a year on pleasure and business, and know the language of Tamil fluently. So people like Aseem don't know what they are saying, because they don't know me. Furthermore, look at the AV and Non-AV threads. I reply to many different topics, so again Aseem you are wrong. Who asked for YOUR great opinions, anyway?

All of these posts never addressed the point of direct flights, just holding me up for some ridicule, which is ridiculous. Thanks for egging him on, Mrniji, I had more respect for you, before this thread.

texdravid

Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:25 am

Thanks for the statement, Nimish. That's exactly what I was saying.

Everyone else here is making these wild and not so funny insults at south Indians and me and that is just wrong.

shawnnyc

Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:58 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 38):
Before you criticize me further, why are you so against MAA have as many international flights to Europe and beyond? I mean, why do guys care, anyway

I can't speak for the others, but I never said AI shouldn't have flights from MAA to Europe. They should 100% start those flights (and BOM-SIN without the MAA stop). They just need the planes. I commented about your post because you make it seem that AI doesn't fly those routes because of North/South bias. Plus it seems that the reason you won't fly through BOM is because of your issues with the North. Remember Gulf carriers mostly offer US-Europe on an American carrier change to the gulf carrier then on to the gulf and change again to fly to the South. That's two airlines, three flights and two stops. Other than price, and ethnic pride, why would someone pick that over JFK-LHR-BOM-MAA on AI with no change of carrier and plane? Also AI does not change the aircraft to a smaller one for the domestic leg (US carriers usually do that for the domestic leg of a international flight).

jaysit

Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:16 am

Everyone else here is making these wild and not so funny insults at south Indians and me and that is just wrong.

Dude, you opened yourself up for ridicule with your proud south Indian bit and your evil North Indian nonsense. It came of as silly jingoism.

You also conveniently ignore the basic reality that the European airlines can take you to MAA on a one-stop flight because of the location of their hubs. Geography and political realities dictate that AI have a hub in India, which is BOM, given that it accounts for nearly 40% of international traffic and because its the Western-most major city in India.

As non-stops to the US from India are only now possible with the advent of new aircraft, multiple stops on flights to India were a necessity.

I suspect that even if AI begin nonstop flights from BOM to the US, you will still be whining, and your mantra will change from "Don't ask south Indians to tolerate 2 stop service to America" to "Don't ask south Indians to tolerate 1 stop service to America."

Admittedly, BOM airport is a dank and nasty place that should only be used to imprison criminals, but then so are 95% of Indian airports.

mrniji

Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:28 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 38):
Before you criticize me further, why are you so against MAA have as many international flights to Europe and beyond? I mean, why do guys care, anyway?

Texdravid, no one is against that. In fact, I am sure that 99,9 % of a.netter second your request for direct flights from MAA. At least I do!  Wink - Really, as I second any comment that India goes beyond the Hindi Belt and that AI should serve points beyond BOM/DEL!

See, the language you used yourself was tough, so do expect hard replies. The point I was criticizing was your incoherent argument, as I think it is. First, I criticized your your statement toward South Indian Pride, which, as I read it out of your comments, you identify as being opposed against the rest of India. This was followed by your bashing against 2 stop flights and against transiting in BOM but rather, as you say, BEY (even I hate BOM to transit, so I agree here - but your comments were rather directed against transiting somewhere else in India than in BOM per se).

and you should take our comments rather with irony and humor than as offence in all seriousness. You need to have a tough skin on anet. And, as my friend aseem said once, we desis tend to fight acrimoniously and be best friends 5 min later again.. so just don't feel that offended. However, I found your remarks about the pride and against anything in India besides the South rather incoherent.

Take it easy, man!  Smile

aseem

Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:11 am

Let us all cool down, and I can bet that nobody is against direct flights to southern part of India. It's just that AI has had limitations we all are aware off, which they are trying so hard to overcome.
Also, nobody's pride is involved here. Texdravid, you agreed to my first post on this thread (read reply 8), but you yourself should realize that provocative and harsh language does not solve any problem.
So, lets put it behind our back for now.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

RMenon

Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:37 am

Hello, I'm Rmenon and I am South Indian .... sorry I just came back from an AA meeting  Wink

Routes, hubs and service are based on business perceptions (or lack thereof) - not regional pride (unless you are poor old IC)

But - comparing Germany (FRA), UK(LHR), Singapore (SIN), Switzerland (ZRH) to India and justifying BOM as a single hub is useless. India is more geographically dispersed and has different population densities, and commercial centers to these countries.

India has more in common with the US in this regard than Pakistan  Smile (why not get into a Ind vs Pak while we are at it...)

e.g. UA flies to London, FRA, NRT from multiple airports, so does AA: NW, DL, CO fly long-haul out of more than one hub city.

India has BLR, MAA, HYD, DEL as signficant population and business centers - and Govt O&D figures don't fully reflect their importance due to connections that are not transparent to airlines or Govt authorities. This is not a North-South issue - its short-sightedness and lack of resources on AI's part.

You think all those US/Eur BPO and ITO customers going to BLR will transit through BOM on AI or choose an available direct on LH, BA etc? No North vs South here - just plain economics - and unfortunately for AI and the Indian taxpayer, its only the price-conscious who end up connecting through BOM on AI.

UALAX

Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:42 am

I don't think AI has a North Indian bias, just a lack of aircraft to have multiple hubs. But for most South Indians, especially on the West Coast (including me), AI has never really been an option till recently with their LAX service. We've almost been ingrained to fly SQ or other Asian airlines Now with more European (BA, LH, AF) and American (NW to BLR and DL to MAA) options, South India is pretty well served, so I don't think there's any reason to complain.

UALAX

JOYA380B747

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:18 pm

Whatever be the situation IAH will be accepted. The reason...PIA can fly there, why not AI. Besides there are lot of Desi PAX to IAH.
This is my suggesion...If AI thinks it should have more US destinations but feels they might not have enough PAX thay can well go for 2 dest. in US on a single routing. Like BA's earlier IAD-IAH flight or maybe an NRT-SFO-IAH with their new 744's. How's that for a new AI strategy.  bigthumbsup 
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

jr

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:34 pm

If it doesn't make business sense, why does BA want to up frequencies to the south indian cities? And why does DL want to fly MAA daily?

I don't fly AI because its not convenient to get me into MAA. And as long as there are other carriers that can make business sense out of MAA as a destination, I'd be happy to give them my business. Has nothing to do with me being a south or north indian - just being pragmatic, and wanting to arrive in MAA a tad less frustrated. Hopefully the recently announced order-to-be will change things and make AI a truely global carrier that connects India to the world in a practically robust way.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

mrniji

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:36 pm

Moreover, let me remind you of AIX.. they are basically tailor-made for South Indian people! The good thing is that AIX is basically a poject for the 'common man and woman' and not for the Business..

Quoting Rmenon (Reply 44):
to India and justifying BOM as a single hub is useless. India is more geographically dispersed and has different population densities, and commercial centers to these countries.

its short-sightedness and lack of resources on AI's part.

I completely agree.. India offers the potential for at least four hubs (though I have to say that they should start with one.. BOM is not really a hub yet, as transits can be well than 10 hrs, and as the infrastructure lacks behind the necessary)

(why not get into a Ind vs Pak while we are at it...)

I prefer to ally with Punjabi my Punjabi-speaking fellows from the other side of the border against everything South form DEL Big grin

its only the price-conscious who end up connecting through BOM on AI.

And this is a HUGE group! See the success of LCCs.. and even rich people are price-conscious, even Businesses.. I wrote in another thread that AI FRA-LAX Biz is considered by German companies, coz it is just cheaper as LH!.. and see the 15-head Indian family tavelling.. even to save GBP 10 per ticket gives them a couple of hundred visits with the local Idli/Vada valla  Wink

Nimish

Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:08 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 39):
Thanks for the statement, Nimish. That's exactly what I was saying.

Hi TexDravid - you're welcome. Unfortunately your presentation of this issue has been muddled with jingoistic Southie pride, which is not so welcome (as you might have guessed  Smile).

The issue itself is quite serious, and I'm sure a BOM / DEL guy is not too happy flying BOM-MAA-SIN or similar, the same way a MAA/BLR guy is not happy flying BLR-BOM-LHR-NYC or MAA-BOM-FRA-NYC (imaginary routings!). In that sense AI's current lack of a decent sized fleet is ending up screwing all Indians, with only the international carriers making merry.

Luckily now we should be able to stop worrying, as AI/GOI have stopped wringing their hands and actually placed a much needed order for AI  champagne  cool  champagne .
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR