TriStar500
Topic Author

Hapag-Lloyd To Be Renamed "Hapagfly"

Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:57 am

Seemingly the overrated and overpaid MBA and marketing types still haven't learned from the marketing blunder surrounding "Condor - formerly known as Thomas Koch"... I wonder, how much money the management of TUI has pi$$ed away for this bull and how long it will take until deteriorating passenger feedback will force them to pull this back...

Anyway, here is the press release in German:

Hapag-Lloyd Flug heißt künftig Hapagfly

HANNOVER (dpa-AFX) - Die Charterfluggesellschaft Hapag-Lloyd Flug startet künftig unter dem Namen Hapagfly. Der bisherige Name sei oft "mit Container-Schifffahrt und Kreuzfahrten in Verbindung gebracht worden", begründete Hapagfly-Chef Wolfgang John am Donnerstag in Hannover die Änderung. Der Verkauf von Einzeltickets in der Sommersaison ist nach seinen Angaben gegenüber dem Vorjahr um 40 Prozent gestiegen. Auch die Buchungen im Internet seien stark im Aufwind.

full article to be found here: http://finanzen.sueddeutsche.de/nws....p_id=1000003943&ntp_id=362,383,385
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Sabena332

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:01 am

Oh God, the stupidity continues, did these morons not learn from the Condor -> Thomas Cook -> Condor re- rename action?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Beaucaire

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:02 am

Well it seems some never learn..!
They should put that money into improving flight-service and merging HLF with Hapag Lloyd Express into one singe entity - like Air Berlin does.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:02 am

In line probably with that other TUI-owned LCC - Thomsonfly.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Sabena332

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:04 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 3):
In line probably with that other TUI-owned LCC - Thomsonfly.

So in a few months maybe we will read here that Corsair has been renamed into Corsfly.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Udo

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:07 am

What a load of b***s***! I thought renaming Condor into "Thomas Koch" would the all time dumbest, but "Hapagfly" is even worse. What a cheap, brainless decision by these overpaid beancounters... vomit 

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

Udo

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 4):
So in a few months maybe we will read here that Corsair has been renamed into Corsfly.

Oh my god...that's even wooooorse....now I really have to go BATHROOOOOM.....trying to be back tomorrow... vomit  vomit  vomit 

Regards
Udo

VivaGunners

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:11 am

Another unhappy decision, in the long series of unhappy decisions about airlines names/liveries going on these days.... ;(

regards
Any ideas for a signature?

UK_Dispatcher

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:12 am

I imagine Hapag Lloyd Express will not be affected by this - just Hapag Lloyd?

Sabena332

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:14 am

Here is the new logo:

Their site is already reachable via www.hapagfly.de

Patrick

NoUFO

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:20 am

Hapagfly? Is that more sort of a Dragonfly or a Hessian Fly?
And how dare they to rape such a traditional name like Hapag Lloyd?  gnasher 
I support the right to arm bears

TriStar500
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:31 am

The "best" part of the reasoning is the statement that HF's passengers would associate "Hapag-Lloyd" primarily with containerships and big passenger cruiseships.
 banghead 
Seriously, I strongly doubt that the average Michael Mueller, who is flying to his Ballerman binge drinking vacation or Grandpa and Grandpa Mueller, who are flying to their appartment in Spain over the winter, really know, what the other branches of the "Hapag-Lloyd" corporation really are about.

Well, at least someone at TUI will have received a big bonus payment for this brain fart... and a marketing agency will have made some serious cash.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Sabena332

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:32 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 10):
And how dare they to rape such a traditional name like Hapag Lloyd?

I am asking myself the same, this is not the UK where charter airlines get renamed every 4th or so month.

At first they introduced this ridiculous livery which is butt ugly and now they drop such a well known name like Hapag-Lloyd in favour of such a cheapo name like Hapagfly.

Patrick

BREmer

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:39 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  gnasher 

Hapag-Lloyd is a brand that is well known around the world!! As a Hanseatic citizen, I'm proud that it reminds people of the world-famous shipping company!

That's what happens when rich people only let rich people into the top positions - you lose contact with everything else! Condor was the perfect example how this concept can backfire.... Human stupidity never dies!!!  banghead 

Lukas

Chiguire

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:39 am

Great - now they will have to rename Hapag Lloyd Express in HapagFly Express.  banghead .
When will they finally put those two together !
At least HLX is paying more comission than "HapagFly" now !  cool 

NoUFO

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:44 am

They have a guestbook there. File a complaint - I did.

Sabena332

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:45 am

The planes will have the same look like the Thomsonfly planes (with the XXXfly.com titles):

Hapagfly livery:

Thomsonfly livery:

Patrick

[Edited 2005-04-28 19:53:07]

TriStar500
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:51 am

Here's the link to their guest book:

http://book.hapagfly.com/statics/gaestebuch_eintragen.php

I wonder if they will actually publish constructively negative comments there...

Leskova

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:26 am

This must truly qualify as one of the dumbest ideas of this year - if not the decade...

Why does HLF/TUI feel the necessity for repeating TC's mistake? Isn't anyone capable of learning from other people's or other company's mistakes anymore???

Hapagfly... oh lord... what next? TUI to be renamed to TUIholiday? Or TUI's hotels into TUIstay?

And yes, I, too, will be leaving a comment on their guestbook in a moment...

... will the madness never end...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

FlyCaledonian

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:16 am

Not every UK charter carrier goes and constantly renames itself! It's only a fairly recent thing, though Thomas Cook have to be one of the worst offenders for rebranding. TUI is really taking this corporate branding thing to heart though. They've killed Britannia Airways and Lunn Poly travel agents, and are now turning their attention to Germany. Thank goodness we've still got Monarch with a traditional name.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

N1120A

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:38 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 1):
Oh God, the stupidity continues, did these morons not learn from the Condor -> Thomas Cook -> Condor re- rename action?

Or perhaps the idiotic naming of LCC's things like Volareweb.com. I mean, of course they went out of business with a name so bad as that.

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 8):
I imagine Hapag Lloyd Express will not be affected by this - just Hapag Lloyd?

Aren't they just calling it HLX now?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Udo

RE: HF To Be Renamed "Hapagfly"

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:50 am

I just made a guestbook entry. Here's my comment (sorry, only in German):

"Ich protestiere in aller Entschiedenheit gegen die Umbenennung von Hapag Lloyd in "HapagFly".

Ein altehrwürdiger Markenname der deutschen Luftfahrt wurde gegen eine Bezeichnung getauscht, die an Lächerlichkeit kaum zu überbieten ist. Scheinbar halten es einige "dynamische" Jungmanager oder so genannte "Marketing-Experten" für "hip" und "trendy", den traditionellen Begriff "Hapag" mit dem englischen "Fly" zu vermischen. Das Resulat ist jedoch ein billiges, unprofessionelles Flickwerk, das bei den Passagieren sicherlich auf Ablehnung stoßen wird.

Eigentlich sollte man annehmen, das peinliche Debakel um Einführung und Zurücknahme der Bezeichnung "Thomas Cook" bei Condor war ein warnendes Beispiel. Doch die Damen und Herren bei Hapag Lloyd haben bewiesen, dass es in negativer Hinsicht immer noch eine Stufe tiefer geht. Wenigstens hat man bei Condor den Fehler erkannt, Mut gezeigt und den alten Markennamen wieder eingeführt.

Bleibt nur zu hoffen, dass auch bei "HapagFly" der Geist der Erkenntnis noch Einzug hält - aber bitteschön bald!"

Regards
Udo

RayChuang

RE: Hapag-Lloyd To Be Renamed "Hapagfly"

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:02 am

You know, I wished someone will kindly point out that the TUI logo looks like a water closet.  no 

gkirk

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:22 am

Get it up you Germans for ruining Britannia  bigthumbsup 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ushermittwoch

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:38 am

Udo, man, that hurt!
And rightly so!

What the hell are they thinking?!
I guess the "Denglish"-Trend continures and people in this country still do not understand that it is NOT cool to get rid of tradition or the German language just to jump on the latest fad.
But after LH's latest workings, maybe they too will go with a new name.
How about Luftfly (sounds dumb enough, doesnt it).
But rest assured that I could make a load of money with the name "fLyTU".
Which I hereas declare as my copyrighted idea!
 Smile
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

gkirk

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:43 am

Hmmm...the Germans didnt like Thomas Cook, so it was changed. They wont like Hapagfly so it'll be changed. The Brits hate Thomsonfly...it wont be changed....why? Because TUI and Thomas Cook are German companies...makes me sick  yuck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Sabena332

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:47 am

Quoting Ushermittwoch (Reply 24):
I guess the "Denglish"-Trend continures and people in this country still do not understand that it is NOT cool to get rid of tradition or the German language just to jump on the latest fad.

Didn't everything start with "Einslive" ?

But after LH's latest workings, maybe they too will go with a new name.

They should better liquidate and go for something complete new.

How about Luftfly (sounds dumb enough, doesnt it).

They don't need a stupid name to be a complete disgrace.

But rest assured that I could make a load of money with the name "fLyTU".

rotfl 

Patrick

kl911

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:37 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 2):
They should put that money into improving flight-servic

No way! I don't need any service as long as the fare is not above 20 euros for a 1 hour flight MRS-CGN. Improving service means higher fares, and who wants that. Just sit still in your seat for 1 hour isn't that difficult is it? Bring your own paper, food and drinks if you need it... pfff

KL911

Leskova

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:15 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 27):
I don't need any service as long as the fare is not above 20 euros for a 1 hour flight MRS-CGN.

Hapag Lloyd does not fly MRS-CGN, that's HLX... HLX is a low cost carrier, HLF is not.

And, by the way: I just had a look at Hapag's website - when I tried to get a price for CGN-MRS, a dialog-box opened up and said...

Quote:
Der von Ihnen ausgewählte Flug wird von unserer Partner-Airline Hapagfly Express angeboten.

Ihre Flugbuchung wird auf der Seite von Hapagfly Express fortgesetzt. Alle bisherigen Eingaben bleiben erhalten.

So much for the question if HLX will change as well...

Regards,
Frank

TriStar500
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:20 pm

At least their rebranding is consequently stupid.  stirthepot 

I am not so sure if I should really wish them to experience the "Thomas Koch effect" - after all, it is usually not the management or the marketing bozos, who pay for their mistakes, but the regular employees do so with job losses or wage cuts.
 weeping 

columba

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:52 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 11):
The "best" part of the reasoning is the statement that HF's passengers would associate "Hapag-Lloyd" primarily with containerships and big passenger cruiseships.

Seriously, I strongly doubt that the average Michael Mueller, who is flying to his Ballerman binge drinking vacation or Grandpa and Grandpa Mueller, who are flying to their appartment in Spain over the winter, really know, what the other branches of the "Hapag-Lloyd" corporation really are about.

Well, at least someone at TUI will have received a big bonus payment for this brain fart... and a marketing agency will have made some serious cash.

Absolutely unneccessary to change the name now after 45 years or so in the airline business, no one would confuse Hapag Lloyd with containerships and passenger cruisehips anymore.........most people already did fly with Hapag Lloyd once before and they know that they won´t travell in a containership.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

miamix707

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:03 pm

no way.. eek  HAHAHAHHAHAA!  rotfl   spit 

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 11):

Will they now associate it with a mosquito or a fly?

Do you guys think they'll eventually rename it TUIfly?

What planet is the current crop of airline marketing people coming from? Besides telling airlines to adopt the ugliest liveries possible as of late, now they're telling them to name themselves either blue or fly..

I'm too lazy to go to their guestbook and make any comments but anyways they already ruined the brand of some of the member airlines by deciding to paint all the planes in that retarded looking paintscheme.

let's see so far..

1. Stupid looking tasteless logo
2. Stupid looking tasteless livery
3. Now a stupid name.

It really can't get any worse..

jafa39

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:36 pm

Hapagfly, I think you need to spray your Rose beds with urine to get rid of them......
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

jafa39

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:37 pm

Hapagfly, I think you need to spray your Rose beds with urine to get rid of them......
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

airsicknessbag

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:40 pm

Oh well, I can just echo what everybody else said so far...

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 15):
They have a guestbook there. File a complaint - I did.

When the current atrocious livery was introduced, that same guestbook was overflowing with negative comments. Nobody paid attention, obviously...

Quoting BREmer (Reply 13):
As a Hanseatic citizen, I'm proud that it reminds people of the world-famous shipping company!

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 10):
And how dare they to rape such a traditional name like Hapag Lloyd?

At least "Hapag" is still there. Thomas Cook did away with Condor (nearly) completely, and, given that there is already one "TUI Airlines", I wouldn't have been surprised to see that brand extended over all TUI's airlines. Maybe as the next step.

Quoting Leskova (Reply 28):
Der von Ihnen ausgew�hlte Flug wird von unserer Partner-Airline Hapagfly Express angeboten.

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 29):
At least their rebranding is consequently stupid.

Dang, they manage to kill two established brands with one stone - Hapag-Lloyd and HLX. While the latter is not too old, I believe it is by now firmly entrenched in (and popular with) the German (or European) low cost customers' minds. Is that HFX then? Both hfx.com and .de are taken, btw.

Another btw:

HF currently operate SEVEN A310s in FIVE liveries:

Good old orange/blue: D-AHLA

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Christoph Röckerath

Bad new TUI blue: D-AHLX, D-AHLV

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Unmuth - VAP

Brain dead hapagfly: D-AIDF

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Christian Winkel

Boring all white: D-AHLW, D-AIDD

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jorge Abreu - Madeira Spotters
View Large View Medium

Slimy green Braniff, uh, I mean Sibir: D-AHLZ

View Large View Medium

Is this some kind of record or what???

Daniel Smile

ushermittwoch

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:25 pm

I am now wondering if TUI will also push Hannover 96 to call themselves HannoverFußball 96 and to adopt baby blue jerseys...  vomit 

When will companies learn that re-branding, especailly when you are in business quite well hurts the company more often than it benefits them, at least in the airline sector.

But as it is reasoned by the marketing mogules, now at least no sun-hungry Mallorca tourist will think that a container ship will fly him to PMI.

TriStar500
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:30 pm

Following TUI's logic, Hannover 96 would be HannoverKick 96.  silly 

ushermittwoch

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:32 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 36):
Following TUI's logic, Hannover 96 would be HannoverKick 96.

My bad, I forgot that you HAVE TO use "Denglish" in today's marketing world.

TriStar500
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:36 pm

Check out the updated guest book on the HF homepage - seems like some a.net regulars and even some other folks really needed to vent. Big grin

http://www.hapagfly.com/westsite/content/module/gb_deu_001.html

Udo

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:31 pm

They really updated the guestbook! And my entry is there, though somebody apparently has copied it from here and put it there with his name. Still strange, because I sent the entry before I published it here. And I used my name and e-mail address, no nickname.

Regards
Udo

Sabena332

Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:26 pm

Quoting Udo (Reply 39):
And my entry is there, though somebody apparently has copied it from here and put it there with his name.

Sue that twat, this is clearly copyright violation.  Wink

Patrick

NoUFO

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:00 am

Taken from their English website:

"When Hapagfly was founded in 1972 it set itself the aim of allowing passengers to start their well earned holiday as soon as they boarded the plane. On 30 March 1973 a Boeing 727-100 with 125 seats flew south for the first time in the Hapagfly colours."

That's more than inaccurate; it's a damn LIE to make Hapagfly look like an long-established carrier.  Angry

The German website reads:

"Am 30. März 1973 startete die Fluggesellschaft Hapag-Lloyd Flug ihren Jungfernflug von Hamburg nach Ibiza. Seither entwickelte sich die Ferienfluggesellschaft zu einer der führenden Airlines in Deutschland."

"On March 30 1973 Hapag-Lloyd Flug's maiden flight took off from Hamburg to Ibiza. Since then, the holiday airline became one of Germany's leading carriers."

If that's so, how come they saw a need to rename this very leading airline?  banghead 

N1120A

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:16 am

Quoting Columba (Reply 30):
Absolutely unneccessary to change the name now after 45 years or so in the airline business, no one would confuse Hapag Lloyd with containerships and passenger cruisehips anymore.........most people already did fly with Hapag Lloyd once before and they know that they won´t travell in a containership.

Hence the name was Hapag Lloyd FLUG. How the hell can they say people will confuse the two when the name says FLUG????  scratchchin 

Following TUI's logic, Hannover 96 would be HannoverKick 96.

rotfl  rotfl 
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Leskova

Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:36 am

Following TUI's logic, Hannover 96 would be HannoverKick 96

Unfortunately for my old home-team, the more likely new name would be...

HannoverLost 96

... but anyhow, I was quite surprised when I looked at the guestbook to see that quite a few people were now actually saying something against this moronic rebranding: before, it was all just along the lines of "Why don't you have more flights from Hannover to Ibiza", or "I flew with HLF a while ago and it was a great flight"...

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed - but I doubt we'll see them taking that rebranding back anytime soon...

columba

Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:17 am

The guestbook of Hapagfly now reads as the who is who of airliners.net  Smile
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

DAL767400ER

Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:43 am

Unfortunately, they don't seem to post all comments in their guestbook. I wrote a comment prior to 3 pm, citing how Hapag Lloyd has such a long history and a well-renowned name, but the comment has yet to be posted (and yes, I was polite and politically correct).

Orion737

Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:57 pm

I am British but I am so sad that TUI have dropped the Hapag Llod name.

TUI are meglomaniacs, they want to take over the world. First they raped Britannia and now their 'home grown' Hapag Lloyd.

Orion737

Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:58 pm

Also, many people who have provided years of loyal service to Hapag Lloyd must be upset by this. Why dont they flight for the name of their company?

dc10tim

Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:33 pm

Exactly what were they smoking when this one was thought up?!!!

What are the TUI organisation frightened of with heritage? They seem to want to be one of these English-speaking, nationless, politically correct companies that have absolutely no identity and no soul, but packed to the roof top with 1990s advertising cliches.

They've already killed the Britannia and Hapag-Lloyd livers. Both very famous in their home nations, but also internationally. Now the homogenisers are systematically eradicating the airline names. Britannia have all but gone, Hapag-Lloyd next, watch out Corsair and Sobelair, you're next!

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

B742

Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:44 pm

So what airlines make up the TUI group, Britannia (Thomsonfly), Hapag-Lloyd (Hapagfly), Neos....?

Rob!