eatmybologna

Have A & B Ever Considered Working Together?

Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:44 pm

I've been reading all of your posts on Airliners.net now for about a month and just decided to sign on as a member. What I see here is a very aggressive business war going on between the two major aerospace companies. This competition is fantastic for obvious reasons. But what I'm wondering is, have A & B ever worked together on a project or plan to collaborate with each other in the future? I thought I remember watching the Wings channel a year or two ago that touched on the two possibly working together and pooling their resources to develop a large wing shaped civil airplane.

Regards,

eatmybologna

by the way, how do I obtain those cool smileys?
Isn't knowledge more than just the acquisition of information? Shouldn't the acquired information be correct?

brons2

RE: Have A & B Ever Considered Working Together?

Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:48 pm

Boeing and Airbus collaborated on some VLA designs in the mid-90s, but nothing became of it. Of course, Airbus went on to launch a clean-sheet VLA, the A380.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

DfwRevolution

Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:48 pm

Yes, around 1990-1995, Airbus and Boeing considered collaborating on a very large airplane seating about 700-800. For a variety of reasons, it fell through: there was likely cultural clash, and Airbus felt that Boeing was aiming for a seating capacity too high just so they could continue to market the 747.

They went their own ways, and Airbus launched the A3XX/A388 on their own.

777DadandJr

Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:56 pm

I was told by a Boeing insider that the wing box on the 777 was made by EADS, which I believe is a majority owner of Airbus.
Is this true?
Would that be considered a collaboration?

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

DfwRevolution

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 3):
I was told by a Boeing insider that the wing box on the 777 was made by EADS, which I believe is a majority owner of Airbus.

Nooo.... the 777 wingbox is made in Japan

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/148285_boeingjapan14.html

monteycarlos

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:06 pm

I "heard" (and by heard I mean it may not be correct) that Airbus approached Boeing with the idea of super-capacity jetliner and after short collaboration they decided to go their seperate ways, with Airbus eventually coming out with the A380.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 2):
For a variety of reasons, it fell through: there was likely cultural clash, and Airbus felt that Boeing was aiming for a seating capacity too high just so they could continue to market the 747.

Is this where the two different philosophies came from? (i.e. point to point v. high capacity)

Oh, and regarding the smileys... just click on the link right below this text box that you right your post in (Read how to include links, pictures and smilies! (opens in new window) and it tells you how to include them!

Edit - Typos

[Edited 2005-04-30 06:07:58]
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:46 pm

Be shweet to see the two of them work together, perhaps in Tandem with the Japanese, on a new SST.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

leelaw

Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:24 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 6):
Be shweet to see the two of them work together, perhaps in Tandem with the Japanese, on a new SST.

This is likely the only way it could get done. I would add the Chinese as potential partner risk sharing partner as well.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae