ASTROJET707

Using The Lav In Your Ticketed Cabin...not!

Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:27 pm

In the past two weeks I have flown NW regional and mainline, DL regional and mainline AA regional and mainline and HP regional and mainline. AA is the only carrier of these f that makes the "security" announcement. The TSAs new policy requires passengers to only use the lavatory in their ticketed cabin. On my flights NW, DL and HP made no such announcement. Any comments? Are the airlines using the TSA to keep Y folks from F lavs? Thanks.

AJ707

zippyjet

RE: Using The Lav In Your Ticketed Cabin...not!

Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:33 pm

Not that I know of. Maybe there was some security or safety issue on that particular flight and, maybe the cabin crew felt what you don't know won't hurt you. Again, this is news to me. In three years with my company, FL I have never heard of any instances from passengers or fellow crewmembers regarding "lavatory turf rules."
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

snaiks

Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:36 pm

DL did on both flight i traveled with them MSY-ATL-PTY and PTY-ATL-MSY

Newark777

Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:39 pm

I flew DL EWR-SLC a week ago, and I used the first class bathroom. Guess I'm considered a terrorist by some people.  Yeah sure

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

SHUPirate1

Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:49 pm

On every flight I have taken in the last year on either United Airlines or US Airways that has had a first-class cabin, the announcement has been made about passengers using the lavatory in their ticketed cabin only. Of course, does that mean that when I was ticketed in first, but seated in coach, on one of my flights a few weeks ago (due to a near-misconnect), I'm supposed to use the first-class lavatory or the coach lavatory?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

fbgdavidson

Sun May 01, 2005 7:28 am

I flew on UA last year and an annoucement was made, as desribed above, only ticketed passengers to use their respective bathrooms. Didn't stop folks in the front few rows of coach moving forward and queuing for the J lavs though  Yeah sure
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

jafa39

Sun May 01, 2005 7:37 am

More likely some US politicain found evidence that "poor people" had used the lav in 1st class and is using TSA to reinforce snobbery.

Mind you, it never occured to me to use the upgraded lavs, after the obnoxious little arse who wouldn't let me go into Business class on NZ1 to check on my aged father-in-law, i tend to keep my station!

BTW, after a change of FA's at LAX we got a much friendlier bunch and all was well.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

ANCFlyer

Sun May 01, 2005 8:30 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 4):
does that mean that when I was ticketed in first, but seated in coach, on one of my flights a few weeks ago (due to a near-misconnect), I'm supposed to use the first-class lavatory or the coach lavatory?

Split a few more hairs there, SHUPirate.

The announcement needs no explanation . . . if you're ticketed and seated in Y, use the Y lav. If tickets in F and sitting in F, use the F lav. Sounds too simple to screw up.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

dutchjet

Sun May 01, 2005 8:36 am

My experience is that aside from the general ""use the lav in your own cabin and the first class lav is reserved for customers sitting in that section and we ask you to respect this arrangment" line that most cabin crew use as part of their pre-flight announcement, on flights from foreign destinations into the USA, an additional annoucement is made about new TSA regulations that require a pax to remain in the cabin in which they are seated, not to use lavs in other cabins, and a request is made not to congregate in the areas by the lavs or galleys so that F/As always have a clear view down the aisles. On certain flights, the pilot or first officer repeated this direction and specifically asked that the pax follow these rules.

I am not trying to be cute, but do international flights have stricter lav rules than domestic services?

deltairlines

Sun May 01, 2005 8:48 am

I've heard it on quite a few DL flights now...they also announced it on one of my NW flights last month, and on both my US flights.

This week, I'm flying US to SFO on Wednesday, and the DL to MCO on Thursday (7 flight, 6700+ miles in two days...it's gonna be a long day)...I'll have to see whether or not they make these announcements on the mainline flights (my GSO-CLT-GSO and GSO-MCO flights are on RJs).

Jeff

jacobin777

Sun May 01, 2005 10:01 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 1):
Maybe there was some security or safety issue on that particular flight

i fly on AA every few weeks, and I can't recall the last time it WASN'T mentioned...I know its standard policy for AA.
"Up the Irons!"

SLC1

Sun May 01, 2005 10:09 am

The closest thing that I've heard is that you're required to wait so many rows back when waiting for the lavatories at the front of the aircraft.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

tundra767

Sun May 01, 2005 10:36 am

It is a security directive from the TSA that passengers are to use the lavatory in their respective cabins. I will have a look in our company website and see if I can't find the exact bulletin from the TSA on this matter.

AAR90

Sun May 01, 2005 10:37 am

Quoting Astrojet707 (Thread starter):
Are the airlines using the TSA to keep Y folks from F lavs?

No, it is not AA "policy" but rather a TSA regulation requiring compliance by all USA airlines.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

PA110

Sun May 01, 2005 11:55 am

Ya know, its just basic common courtesy to use the lav of your ticketed cabin. There was a recent thread about someone whining that AA discontinued special meals in F class domestically. Wow! News Flash! SERVICE IS DECREASING!!!

However, the price of a First Class ticket does come with the expectation that there will be fewer passengers per lav, and access to them will be easier than back in the cheap seats. Same for Business Class. Now, it may not be fair that there just aren't enough lavs, or that the configuration of the aircraft makes it inconvenient for some Economy passengers to get to their designated lavs, but, that's life. Deal with it. Just stop whining.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

stlgph

Sun May 01, 2005 2:37 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Split a few more hairs there, SHUPirate.

The announcement needs no explanation . . . if you're ticketed and seated in Y, use the Y lav. If tickets in F and sitting in F, use the F lav. Sounds too simple to screw up.

well, it seems too simple to screw up simple grammar. somehow, you did.

SHUP babes said-
"On every flight I have taken in the last year on either United Airlines or US Airways that has had a first-class cabin, the announcement has been made about passengers using the lavatory in their ticketed cabin only. Of course, does that mean that when I was ticketed in first, but seated in coach, on one of my flights a few weeks ago (due to a near-misconnect), I'm supposed to use the first-class lavatory or the coach lavatory?"

if you're ticketed for first class, per the age old tradition of, following the directions, it would be for him to use the first class shitters even if he's in the back, because after all, that's where he is ticketed.

shup babes is phunny. i wish i would have been in his position, i could have had a lot of fun with that one.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

GQfluffy

Sun May 01, 2005 2:48 pm

Hey, if fluffy here has to go, fluffy will go. Doesn't matter where fluffy goes, as long as it isn't in fluffy's seat. Besides, fluffy likes the F lav's tp. More bang for the buck, fluffy says.

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

jafa39

Mon May 02, 2005 7:35 pm

Passenger Pee-Pee On The Aisles In Flight!

Check out this thread, kinda puts the argument into perspective .Lol!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

adam

Mon May 02, 2005 7:38 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 4):
On every flight I have taken in the last year on either United Airlines or US Airways that has had a first-class cabin, the announcement has been made about passengers using the lavatory in their ticketed cabin only.

ditto on UA and US.

adam
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

jox

Mon May 02, 2005 10:05 pm

I have been on 3 UA flights the last week. As I can remember, they didn't make that announcement about using the lav in the ticketed cabin on any of those flights. Nor did they object when one passenger from Y+ went to the F lav.

mcdu

Mon May 02, 2005 10:22 pm

The announcement is required per the TSA for international flights and is supposed to be worded similarly as follows.

"Per TSA and FAA security directives passengers are required to use the lavatories in their ticketed cabins. Also passengers are not allowed to congregate in one area. Please keep all aisle ways and passages clear at all times."

The Pilots are supposed to make this announcement on the inbound segments to the US. I believe most airlines have now adopted this as a standard policy for all segments as it provides a bit better crowd control.

Keeping large groups from migrating from coach to the F class loos may prevent some groups of rowdy passengers from being the recipient of a lead adjustment by a Marshal.

Bridogger6

Mon May 02, 2005 10:57 pm

On the last HP flight I took, they said that passengers couldn't line up for the first class lav, but they didn't say that they couldn't use it.

TomFoolery

Mon May 02, 2005 11:03 pm

So, I guess the issue here is :
Is this actually a FAA/TSA regulation? If so, does any one have a reference to the FAR?
OR
Is this something that the airlines say in order to avoid being the "BAD GUY" in a situation where of the 4 cans on a plane, the 2 in front serve 8 F/C pax, and 2 in back serve 125 Y PAX and more than 2 Y pax REALLY gotta go?

MD80's come to mind

Tom
Paper makes an airplane fly

Mon May 02, 2005 11:13 pm

I have just spent three hours reading regulations and I found

NO TSA REGULATION REQUIRING USE OF TICKETED LAV's OR EVEN STAYING IN YOUR CABIN !

What I did find (among other things is this):

- You may not stand in line for the lavatory. Such accumulations are "a threat" and hence "illegal".
- You MAY bring Transformer toys aboard (Yeah!)
- You MAY bring matches, but no lighters....
- Airlines MAY have curtains - all types. Mesh is "recommended".

So it seems to me like the TSA is just a good excuse......

mcdu

Mon May 02, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting TomFoolery (Reply 22):
Is this actually a FAA/TSA regulation? If so, does any one have a reference to the FAR?
OR

It is a TSA bulletin. The following is information regarding this issue. Why does everyone seem to want to fight this issue? It is a bit like the seat belt sign. No one seems to care anymore that they are violating any type of FAR or directive. They just seem to be the "me" generation. This is a SECURITY directive. Please be mindful of this and cooperate with the airlines on this issue.

There is much more to the bulletin but for security reasons will not publish.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires the following security
procedures.

� Passengers must use the lavatory in their class of cabin.

TomFoolery

Tue May 03, 2005 12:14 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 24):
Why does everyone seem to want to fight this issue?

I don't think it is an act of defiance, rather, a request to cite a source. Part of being a critical reader is to identify both sides of an issue, and go from there to resolve the issue.
In my search, I did not find any available published information regarding such a regulation. When people cant find any available evidence of cited regulations, I personally believe that it is reasonable for concerned people to call such claims to question.

Tom
Paper makes an airplane fly

ASTROJET707

Tue May 03, 2005 7:28 am

Hey for what it is worth I would wear Depends and pee in my seat. The reason I started the thread is the inconsistency in the industry. Some carriers seem to make the announcement, some don't. I fly AA a lot now and they seem to hit 99% for consistency. If it is a TSA-OCD(obsessive-compulsive directive) then why aren't all airlines giving the speech all the time.

AJ707

Newark777

Tue May 03, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting Astrojet707 (Reply 26):
Hey for what it is worth I would wear Depends and pee in my seat

Oh god, you should go read that thread about the aboriginal who pissed in the aisle. I just hope I never have to sit next to you.  crazy 

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

CAL

Tue May 03, 2005 7:41 am

Continental's does an announcement that says

"This aircraft is equipped with ______ lavatories. They are located throughout the cabin. The lavatory(ies) located in the forward cabin(s) is (are) reserved for our FirstClass/BusinessFirst customers.

Don't know if is a TSA regulation but it intended to keep more people away from the flight deck door.
CAL........Continental Airlines....... Work Hard, Fly Right

FA4UA

Tue May 03, 2005 7:43 am

Important distinction:

The TSA requires passengers on US bound flights to not cross between cabins for any reason.

At UA, it is OUR security policy to ask all passengers on all Mainline flights to use the lavs in their ticketed cabins to prevent congestion in any one area.

Playing potty police is no fun as a FA. People can get really upset when confronted about using their cabin's lav. SO RIDICULOUS! Why can't people just follow the rules without acting like 3 yr olds?!?! (Especially Americans!)

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

10mid

Tue May 03, 2005 8:29 am

If I was ticketed in Y but recieved an upgrade to F, do I still use the Y lav?

fbgdavidson

Tue May 03, 2005 8:39 am

Quoting 10MID (Reply 30):
If I was ticketed in Y but recieved an upgrade to F, do I still use the Y lav?

haha of course!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey