hardiwv

Abuja International Airport

Wed May 04, 2005 1:25 am

BA, KLM and LH serve Abuja/ABV airport. How are connections from Abuja to the rest of Africa? Which African airlines and destinations in West Africa are served from Abuja in a way that you would avoid connestions in crowded Lagos/LOS Airport?

Tks,

AF022

RE: Abuja International Airport

Wed May 04, 2005 2:15 am

according to OAG, there are only five points served from ABV, although there are certainly non-IATA carriers serving ABV.

ABVAMS - KL
ABVFRA - LH
ABVKAN - B3
ABVLHR - BA
ABVLOS - AJ, B3

West Africa is terrible for connections. Basically, if you are going ANYWHERE you have to get on a direct flight from Europe rather than connect in Africa.

hardiwv

Wed May 04, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting AF022 (Reply 1):
est Africa is terrible for connections. Basically, if you are going ANYWHERE you have to get on a direct flight from Europe rather than connect in Africa.

You are totally correct. I never seen such a horrible situation for flights...
Abuja is better connected to Europe (oil destinations) than to neighbouring countries...

Tks,

arkhem

Wed May 04, 2005 2:28 am

I don't have specific information right now but ABV has a lot of domestic flights but not too many international ones. LOS has many more international connections. You could always connect through ACC...

edit: Maybe Virgin Nigeria? http://www.virginnigeria.com/

[Edited 2005-05-03 19:34:37]

soups

Wed May 04, 2005 6:11 am

ABV dont have any flights to accra.. i believe the only african flight (outside nigeria) is Khartoum
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

hardiwv

Wed May 04, 2005 6:26 am

Quoting Soups (Reply 4):
ABV dont have any flights to accra.. i believe the only african flight (outside nigeria) is Khartoum

This means that to travel from Nigeria's capital to any other destination in Africa (avoiding Europe) a connection in LOS would be neccessary.

Anyone with information about connection procedure in LOS? The reports I've heard about LOS are horrible...and what about Bellview airlines, the carrier which makes the ABV-LOS run?

Tks,

Fly-K

Wed May 04, 2005 3:07 pm

ABV has a very nice international terminal, but the domestic terminal some kilometres away is as basic as any domestic facility in the country. There are maybe half a dozen or more carriers with domestic flights: Bellview, Chanchangi, Albarka, Dasab, AeroContractors, ADC, EAS, Space World, Overland etc - see my recent trip report for some details:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/56998/
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

soups

Wed May 04, 2005 4:41 pm

people travelling to ABV from other african cities like accra have o go via lagos and transfer from internationa to domestic terminal which is a pain
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

AF022

Wed May 04, 2005 9:54 pm

Lagos airport really isn't that bad. I've been to the international terminal a few times (I don't know if there is a domestic terminal), and it is fine.

Fly-K

Wed May 04, 2005 10:07 pm

Yes the international terminal is LOS is quite OK. The domestic is on the other side of the runway, making transfer difficult and time-consuming.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

PhilSquares

Wed May 04, 2005 10:20 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 8):
Lagos airport really isn't that bad. I've been to the international terminal a few times (I don't know if there is a domestic terminal), and it is fine.

The domestic terminal is on the other side of the airport. In one word, DUMP.

No offense to anyone, but it's probably the worst place I've ever been. Worse than Kano and similar places.
Fly fast, live slow

EurostarVA

Wed May 04, 2005 10:28 pm

Gentlemen,

Sigh of relief... there is a brand new Lagos domestic flights terminal currently under construction adjacent to the existing domestic terminal (on the other side of Runway 19L). Stabilini Visinoni is the general contractor. This will have four levels, 12 aviobridges, a parking structure, restaurants, duty free shops, etc, all the ameneties of a modern airport terminal. Hopefully, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) will be privatized by the time the terminal is opened somewhere in 2005/2006.
If there is a will, there is a way

PhilSquares

Thu May 05, 2005 12:15 am

EurostarVA,

Not to quibble, but I can guarantee you when the new terminal is open, it will be only a matter of minutes until the interior fittings are stolen. Although ABV is relatively new, it is suffering just like the LOS int'l terminal is.

Just look at Abjua the city. It was built as the capital to replace Lagos. It has fallen into a state of disrepair. Basic things like traffic signals don't work because the copper wire has been stolen. Perhaps I am just too cynical, but if given the choice, I'd avoid LOS at any cost and then I'd use ABV only as a last resort.
Fly fast, live slow

hardiwv

Thu May 05, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 12):
, I'd avoid LOS at any cost and then I'd use ABV only as a last resort

Only worries about structural problems, or you could also risk crime ref. connection from LOS domestic to international? Is it dangerous or too risky to transit in LOS?

Tks,

PhilSquares

Thu May 05, 2005 12:28 am

I have been on the taxiway behind a narrow body aircraft (DC-9) and have watched people come out of the bushes and open the cargo doors. They then helped themselves to the belly cargo (luggage). Atleast they were kind enough to close the cargo doors!

Judge for yourself! Me, after operating out of both airports as well as Port Harcourt, I'd avoid all three if I could! Especially if I had to transfer to an internal flight.
Fly fast, live slow

EurostarVA

Thu May 05, 2005 4:23 am

PhilSquares,
Do you mind me asking, when were you last in Nigeria? Because things have changed, not quite to an ideal level, but getting there (especially with MMIA being upgraded to receive Virgin Nigerian ops, and PHC changed dramatically with a brand new perimete. LOS,PHC, and ABV all have restricted ramp access and all employees are expected to wear their badges at all times.
If there is a will, there is a way

PhilSquares

Thu May 05, 2005 8:19 am

EurostarVA,

How about a month ago. LOS hasn't changed at all in my opinion. PHC has always been much "nicer" but that's a relative comparison.

The idea of restricted ramp access at LOS is a joke. The perimeter fence that was installed has been stolen!
Fly fast, live slow

xms3200

Thu May 05, 2005 10:08 am

PhilSquares, You are absolutely right about your opinions on Nigeria, especially Lagos. I know from first hand experience 24 years ago it was a mess, you always had to bribe people. The corruption is rampant.
By the way, have you ever flown to a Nigerian city name Maiduguiri, in Borno State, DNMA is the ICAO code, MIU is the three letter code

PhilSquares

Thu May 05, 2005 10:29 am

Xms3200,

Believe it or not I have flown in there and even spent the night in a "5 star" hotel there. What I really loved were the notes on the approach about all the navaids being unreliable because of frequent power outages!
Fly fast, live slow

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos