HAWK21M
Topic Author

CNG Vehicles At Airports

Fri May 06, 2005 2:24 pm

Is there any restrictions on the use of CNG/LPG driven Vehicles at the Airports.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Boeing7E7

RE: CNG Vehicles At Airports

Fri May 06, 2005 3:15 pm

No. Many airports actually use them for environmental mitigation.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2005 5:53 pm

Any safety issues,especially with LPG.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Boeing7E7

Fri May 06, 2005 11:43 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):
Any safety issues,especially with LPG.

The cars I've seen them on are Fords. The run like crap after a couple of years though. Maintenance is a pain in the ass. But no safety issues, could be a Ford issue though.

Tom in NO

Sat May 07, 2005 12:10 am

Kind of a complicated discussion, but basically, in the US, many cities have been designated as "non-attainment" for certain air pollutants. One of the results of that designation is that governments and certain agencies have to initiate programs to reduce pollutants through the use of various AFV's (alternative fuel vehicles). Airports are included in those agencies that are required to an alternative fuel program.

Link to map of areas designated "non-attainment":
http://www.epa.gov/ozonedesignations/nonattaingreen.htm

This link is to the Clean Cities web-site, and has a search engine from which people can view the various success stories, as well as various alternative fuel programs at airports.
http://www.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/success_stories.html click on "Airports" under "Category", then click "Select".

Here at MSY, I'm involved in finalizing a draft alternative fuel cost/benefit analysis that involves all possbile future "stakeholders" including the airlines, shuttle bus/limo's, FBO's, etc, etc, and all possible scenarios for developing anything from a small scale to large scale AFV fueling site.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina