flyKiWi

What Happened To Rex Aviation, NZ?

Fri May 06, 2005 6:21 pm

I did a topic search on this subject, and found nothing.

Way back in the early 90s I lived in Wellington, NZ, and being an aviation buff I remember watching planes at WLG, my favourites being the Saabs, Metros and the Bandits. Upon visiting the maintenance hangar, I had a chance to climb into ZK-REX, and after that I kept a lookout for her everytime I visited the airport (which I did..er..quite often  Smile ) After moving home to Hungary in 1997, I kinda lost track of changes in the NZ regional airline industry, and after a reg search no long ago I found REX:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Glen Reid

...but after that, the next photo was ...  Sad

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Johnson

...so goodbye REX.

Could any of you kiwis here give me some more info on Rex Aviation - did it go bankrupt? or - being on of their feeders - did it just disappear after Ansett's demise?

Thanks,

(once proud to be a) kiwi
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

aerorobnz

RE: What Happened To Rex Aviation, NZ?

Fri May 06, 2005 6:45 pm

I have always understood that it went under when Ansett NZ/Qantas NZ went under. I'll try and hunt something out for you. According to the NZ CAA sight it was still around in 23 December 2003, but I can't find anything since.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

777ER
Crew

RE: What Happened To Rex Aviation, NZ?

Fri May 06, 2005 7:07 pm

Rex Aviation no longer exists, it went under when QF New Zealand went under. Rex Aviation operated under the Tasman Pacific Connection banner with QF New Zealand
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact