tgocean

Fate Of FF Miles And Status If UA Dies?

Wed May 11, 2005 5:07 am

If, as looks increasingly likely, the F/A's and their allies succeed in killing UA this week, will any legacy carriers be interested in recruiting my future loyalty by crediting me with an equal number of their FF miles and equivalent elite (1K) status? Other than TWA miles converting to AA miles (because AA subsumed TW), is there any precedent for this sort of thing?

ahlfors

RE: Fate Of FF Miles And Status If UA Dies?

Wed May 11, 2005 5:15 am

Elite status: maybe, as it makes business sense by trying to get a hold of loyal customers. Miles: no way.

commavia

Wed May 11, 2005 5:23 am

Quoting Tgocean (Thread starter):
If, as looks increasingly likely, the F/A's and their allies succeed in killing UA this week, will any legacy carriers be interested in recruiting my future loyalty by crediting me with an equal number of their FF miles and equivalent elite (1K) status?

First, I don't think UA is going to be gone because I think the FAs are going to back down, based on what FAs on this board and others have been saying about how the AFA MEC leadership is out of step with the thinking of most rank and file UA FAs. (Or, at least, I hope this is what happens as I don't want to see UA collapse and all those people lose their jobs.)

However, that being said, I think that while your miles will be probably be lost in a UA collapse, your status may not. Much like in 1985, if UA goes on strike for a prolonged period or collapses, AA will probably set up folding tables in the ticketing lobby of ORD Terminal 1 and other UA terminals around the country and start signing up new AAdvantage members. They may be willing to recognize your status.

Regardless of whether UA survives, collapses, FAs strike, don't, I don't think it is such a bad idea to print off a paper copy of your mileage statement just so you can have status proof in the (unlikely) event that UA should cease to exist.

jcs17

Wed May 11, 2005 5:28 am

First of all, the FA's won't be striking or instituting a CHAOS plan. Most FA's are quite intelligent and know that this move would cripple and kill the airline--and kill their job in the process.

An airline would probably match your status. As for the miles, it all depends on how generous some airlines are feeling. I remember when PA went under and all of my father's miles were transfered to his DL FF account (they didn't have SkyMiles back then). I'd guess that airlines would probably give you 25%-50% of your UA miles.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

dugway

Wed May 11, 2005 5:35 am

Sadly, when Ansett collapsed in Australia, all of those hard earned miles and status became as totally worthless.

When Ansett was liquidated, Frequent Flyers were counted as creditors, but after the government and suppliers, so in the end got nothing back...

Essentially because there was really only one 'full service' (compared to low cost) carrier in Australia, regular travelers had no choice, so not much was offered to frequent travelers to entice them over. In the US there is a lot more competition, so I would think that some carriers would be wanting to entice regular travelers.

Just my two cents...

D P G

aa777jr

Wed May 11, 2005 9:33 am

When UA employees kill their airline, the majority of the frequent flyers at UA will more than likely be welcome at other legacies...AA, CO, and NW would accept a transfer of the passengers mileage status.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

deltairlines

Wed May 11, 2005 9:44 am

As for miles, most of them will be gone, if not all of them.

As for status, you mentioned you are 1K (highest official level of Mileage Plus). My gut feeling is that you might be able to be comped over to a mid-elite status on another carrier (Gold Medallion on Delta, maybe Platinum on AA...). My feeling is that unless you are Global Services, you will go down one step, as airlines are pretty protective of their own top status (I know that airlines will routinely comp status, but if you are the highest status, you will get mid-level status on the comp). PremExs might get Silver, while Premiers probably won't get anything (maybe Silver if they're lucky).

Jeff

United_fan

Wed May 11, 2005 9:45 am

Since UA miles are Star Alliance miles,couldn't they be used on all Star carries ?
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

TWA902fly

Wed May 11, 2005 10:05 am

I would assume US would take them as they are a Star Alliance member and those miles can be used on them anyways?

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

zrs70

Wed May 11, 2005 10:18 am

Quoting United_Fan (Reply 7):
Since UA miles are Star Alliance miles,couldn't they be used on all Star carries ?

UA miles are NOT *A miles, though they can be used for travel on any *A carrier.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Kahala777

Wed May 11, 2005 12:00 pm

Quoting Tgocean (Thread starter):
If, as looks increasingly likely, the F/A's and their allies succeed in killing UA this week

Managment could have changed that years ago!

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 5):
When UA employees kill their airline, the majority of the frequent flyers at UA will more than likely be welcome at other legacies...AA, CO, and NW would accept a transfer of the passengers mileage status

Why should other airlines offer freebies when they theirselves are not in the best of shape!

Quoting Commavia (Reply 2):
First, I don't think UA is going to be gone because I think the FAs are going to back down, based on what FAs on this board and others have been saying about how the AFA MEC leadership is out of step with the thinking of most rank and file UA FAs. (Or, at least, I hope this is what happens as I don't want to see UA collapse and all those people lose their jobs.)

All Talk and Very Little Action  no 

Regards - Kahala777

aa777jr

Thu May 12, 2005 8:50 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 10):

Why should other airlines offer freebies when they theirselves are not in the best of shape!

UA is doing bad right now, but the potential business cliental that other legacies could gain from UA Business travellers would be well worth giving up a few million miles for...IMHO. UA still has a very devoted group of elite business flyers taking trips daily.

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.