777ER
Crew
Topic Author

QF Baggage Handlers In Drug Deals

Wed May 11, 2005 7:55 pm

A drug smuggler who has been arrested following several others arrests, including in Indonesia has said that QF based SYD baggage handlers had been payed thousands of dollars by drug smugglers. He said drug smugglers used QF employees to get the drugs passed Australian Customs.

SOURCE: One News (nzoom.com)

monteycarlos

RE: QF Baggage Handlers In Drug Deals

Wed May 11, 2005 8:01 pm

This is a very big news story tonight...

Apparently a syndicate is bribing them into smuggling these drugs. Security measure are of course being stepped up.

This hasn't been aided by the "Bali 9" or Chapelle Corby (spelling?) who are currently awaiting trial/being trialled in Bali for smuggling.

Interesting... QF seem to have more and more of these issues now including people running around with camel heads on etc.
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

globetrekker

Wed May 11, 2005 9:16 pm

This is nothing new in the business. That's how most drugs het smuggled through airports... by way of baggage handlers and also Service Agents.

A few years ago some strange man approached me on my lunch brake at the airport in AUA and asked me if I would be interested to check-in one piece of luggage containing an undisclosed amount of cocaine to AMS (under someone elses name). He offered a significant amount of money to do so, but I refused.

I am too afraid of prison, and no amount of money is worth ruining your life for!

I know enough agents/baggage handlers who did it and openly told me so and I know of those who were caught, arrested and prosecuted. They will never (I think) work at the airport for any airline again.

Definitely not worth it!

Globe Trekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2005 3:31 pm

QF have said that drugs arrived in Australia, the same day that the Australian model was flying to Bali and are not rulling out QF employees put the drugs in her bag. Sounds like the models prayers are being answered.

PER744

Thu May 12, 2005 5:21 pm

Well, for the Bali 9 at least, unless the baggage handlers were strapping drugs to passengers' bodies the case isn't really related.