BMIFlyer
Topic Author

BA Plane Evacuated After Arabic Shouts

Wed May 11, 2005 11:19 pm

Quote:
Passengers on a BA flight were evacuated after a man began shouting in Arabic as the plane prepared for take-off...

http://www.itv.com/news/britain_167734.html

What gives??  Sad

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

redflyer

RE: BA Plane Evacuated After Arabic Shouts

Wed May 11, 2005 11:23 pm

Sounds like a nervous flyer that was simply praying loud. Unfortunately, in this environment someone should have told him to keep his mouth shut or at least his voice down.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

rtfm

Thu May 12, 2005 12:58 am

Nice to see that they got an up to date photo for the item....

Wrong a/c type, old livery....  sarcastic 

jacobin777

Thu May 12, 2005 1:10 am

maybe they couldn't speak english....i've been on a few bumpy flights where people where screaming "jesus save us"(which, not being of the christian faith, really didn't mean too much to me)....so it works both ways....

agree, should have been probably a bit more quite.....oh well..as long as all were safe...
"Up the Irons!"

B742

Thu May 12, 2005 1:13 am

Not such a good day for LHR!

A KLM 767-300 engine fire, CX A340-300 emergency landing and now a BA a/c was evacuated!

What was the aircraft, a 767?

Rob!

Shamrock_747

Thu May 12, 2005 1:32 am

"As a security precaution all customers were then asked to leave the aircraft so a thorough search of the cabin could take place to ensure the offloaded people left nothing on board,"

Hardly sounds like an evacuation. Typical tabloid media (in this case a trashy TV channel) sensationalism exaggerating what actually occurred.

Capt.Fantastic

Thu May 12, 2005 1:39 am

They evacuated because a passenger was shooting?

Ridiculous if you ask me.

What is more frightening hearing someone yell or an aircraft evacuation?

Hmmm ...

Needless drama

BritPilot777

Thu May 12, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (Reply 6):

Ridiculous if you ask me.

What is more frightening hearing someone yell or an aircraft evacuation?

Hmmm ...

Needless drama

Dude, you need to remember that this also occured during the Hijackings of the aircraft used in the 9/11 attacks. If I was on an aircraft and I heard someone shouting Islamic prayers, I would be pretty F*&king scared as well, and Im sure 99% of people would agree with me!
Forever Flight

yyz717

Thu May 12, 2005 1:49 am

The person shouting in Arabic should be given cultural sensitivity training. He/she needs a quick lesson on 9-11 and its effect on the Western psyche. Shame on him/her.

Hopefully BA will ban him/her from flying again until he/she has taken cultural sensitivity training and he/she is able to conduct themselves appropriately on a Western airliner.

I also hope BA will fine him/her the costs of the evacuation.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Udo

Thu May 12, 2005 1:59 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 8):
The person shouting in Arabic should be given cultural sensitivity training. He/she needs a quick lesson on 9-11 and its effect on the Western psyche. Shame on him/her.

Are you joking? The man probably had a panic attack or whatever. As long as it's not clear what exactly his motives were you should not draw early conclusions.

Hopefully BA will ban him/her from flying again until he/she has taken cultural sensitivity training and he/she is able to conduct themselves appropriately on a Western airliner.

Cultural sensitivity training? Where? Guantanamo?
You should attend a seminar dealing with respect and tolerance towards other cultures...

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

scbriml

Thu May 12, 2005 2:02 am

Wouldn't you want to evacuate if someone was shooting?  wink 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

gothamspotter

Thu May 12, 2005 2:04 am

If the public had confidence that passengers were being profiled and screened properly on the ground, incidents like this wouldn't happen.

jacobin777

Thu May 12, 2005 2:04 am

Quoting BritPilot777 (Reply 7):
If I was on an aircraft and I heard someone shouting Islamic prayers, I would be pretty F*&king scared as well, and Im sure 99% of people would agree with me!

being a muslim, I understand why people would be freaked out..what I would do is go to the people who were saying their prayers out lout and explain to them the gravity of the situation....hopefully I would be able to make a difference..
"Up the Irons!"

BritPilot777

Thu May 12, 2005 2:10 am

Jacobin777, I have nothing what so ever against Moslims, some of my closest friends are of that faith, however, we must remember, it was not a Christian, nor Jew, nor Hindu who flew 3 Jet liners into buildings.

If someone was saying prayers in the middle of the street no problem, on a bus, no problem, on a plane with 200 other passengers??
Forever Flight

airfrnt

Thu May 12, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 9):

Are you joking? The man probably had a panic attack or whatever. As long as it's not clear what exactly his motives were you should not draw early conclusions.

Quoting Udo (Reply 9):

You should attend a seminar dealing with respect and tolerance towards other cultures..

Last I checked it was 19 Arab guys who flew a plane into a American skyscraper, not the other way around.

And yes, as someone who has many muslim (in this case Bangladeshi and Pakistani, not arab) friends, we should be sensitive. But if the story is as reported, this guy is a absolute moron.

PanHAM

Thu May 12, 2005 2:15 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 9):

Quoting Udo (Reply 9):

You should attend a seminar dealing with respect and tolerance towards other cultures...

Regards
Udo

Hey Udo flach halten - OK? we are in an Anglo environment here and some of the guys think a bit different than the average German voter of the Greens.

I mean it's OK and nice that you step in for that person who created this havoc on the BA plane, but my opinion really is that an airplane should not be mistaken with a football stadium or a Mallorca Tavern either and no one of the other passengers asked to be entertained by a loud voice screaming something which scares the sh... out of them, knowing what happened 9/11. By the way, some Germans deserve cultural training as well, especially when they are overseas or try to slap their political opinions on others.
powered by Eierlikör

yyz717

Thu May 12, 2005 2:15 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 9):

A panic attack is one thing. Shouting in Arabic on a Western airline is NOT COOL. Those other Western passengers were rightfully terrified. His lack of cultural sensitivity to those Westerners is shocking and ignorant.

Quoting Udo (Reply 9):

Why not London since he seems to transit to/thru there?

Quoting Udo (Reply 9):

Haha....so says a German. The irony is too funny.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

ahlfors

Thu May 12, 2005 2:18 am

I have flown so many times into Latin America (SJU especially) and often there are people praying very loudly in Spanish. Why? I suppose they want to have a safe flight. And I've never had a plane evacuated because of that.
So I don't see any problem with shouting Allahu Akbar (God is great) if you want God to make your flight safe. Muslims around the world pray five times a day and most of them are very peaceful. It is culturally insensitive to let the very few extremists give a bad name to the vast majority of Muslims that are peace loving.
Treating the adherents of one religion differently than those of another is purely discriminatory. We Westerners are the ones who need to be taught some lessons in cultural insensitivity, as we expect every Muslim who acts a bit weird in our view to be a terrorist. Let us not forget that there are extremists of every religion that have at one time or another blown up something.

MaverickM11

Thu May 12, 2005 2:24 am

"You should attend a seminar dealing with respect and tolerance towards other cultures.."

Given that the overwhelming vast majority of air terrorism is perpetrated by Muslims, including 9/11, it's not unexpected that people are frightened when anyone starts shouting in Arabic on an aircraft.
E pur si muove -Galileo

jacobin777

Thu May 12, 2005 2:29 am

BritPilot777....if you noticed, I wasn't disagreeing with you.....but maybe the travelers didn't even speak english, and they didn't know of it would affect the other pax...i see that with lots of people....

as i said, as a Muslim, I would try to resolve the problem as best as I could, especially if those people spoke urdu/arabic..

Ahlfors..welcome to my RUL... Wink

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 16):
A panic attack is one thing. Shouting in Arabic on a Western airline is NOT COOL.

As UDO stated, do you know the facts of the situation? Maybe the only language which the pax spoke was arabic.... Are you a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist? Maybe thats how they dealt with their panic attack...which indeed is a possibility (clinica/medical data/journals show this to be true)

UDO..whats going on here, we seem to be agreeing a bit more if you ask me...quite scary  scratchchin   scared 
"Up the Irons!"

ACDC8

Thu May 12, 2005 2:42 am

Dude, you need to remember that this also occured during the Hijackings of the aircraft used in the 9/11 attacks. If I was on an aircraft and I heard someone shouting Islamic prayers, I would be pretty F*&king scared as well, and Im sure 99% of people would agree with me!

Only 7 replies until someone mentiones 9/11, not bad. Well, I'm one of the 1% that it doesn't freak out when someone starts shouting, regardless the language.

Total over-reaction if you ask me. Now, if he'd have gotten out of his seat and started running up and down the aisles, then you have grounds to take action.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Capt.Fantastic

Thu May 12, 2005 2:48 am

Did the crew take a moment to assess the situation? I think if they had, any uncertainty or concern would have been resolved. I think the crew paniced much too quickly - not professional. The evacuation posed more of a threat to passengers than some scared passenger This was a an innocuous occurrence and should not have warranted an evacuation. I think BA should investigate and determine if the crew acted properly. One should not initiate an evacuation simply because you freak-out when Arabic is spoken on an International flight

trintocan

Thu May 12, 2005 3:00 am

This is exactly the sort of topic that unearths everybody's prejudices. If the person did have a panic attack then this sort of action is unwarranted - if he were praying, ditto. Without knowing all that transpired, why consider the man guilty until proven innocent? I always thought the West meant innocent until proven guilty.

If he ran up the corridor, now that is a different matter. I agree with you ACDC8. That I have experienced once last year. As the plane landed 1 of the passengers jumped out of his seat and ran to the bathrooms at the rear - he was promptly sent back to his seat and sternly told off by the crew after the plane parked at the gate, even so far as being threatened with a ban from the airline for endangering everybody onboard.

This BA episode was over the top but in today's environment of paranoia, anything seems possible, sadly.

TrintoCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

columbia107

Thu May 12, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 9):

Come on Udo. Regrettably, terrorists emanating from the Arab world do not tolerate Westerners but we have to. And I can say this with some authority as I have very good friends who are Muslims and they are concerned about the actions of terrorism carried out by their fellow Muslims.

When dealing with different cultures, Gibraltarians are an example to the rest of the world. In less than 7 square miles, Christians, Jews, Hindus and Muslims live peacefully expressing religious tolerance.
In God we trust

jacobin777

Thu May 12, 2005 3:09 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 18):
Given that the overwhelming vast majority of air terrorism is perpetrated by Muslims, including 9/11, it's not unexpected that people are frightened when anyone starts shouting in Arabic on an aircraft.

your comments are nothing but frivilous drivel, bodering on racism and prejudism

....based on your analogy, the next time an african american walks down the street, I should be concerned..... sarcastic 

----------------

"One in three black men between the ages of 20 and 29 were under some form of criminal justice control (in prison, jail, parole or probation) in 1995.12 Other studies have shown that half the young men in Washington, DC, and more than half of the young men in Baltimore are under criminal justice control;13
A black male born in 1991 stood a 29% chance of being imprisoned at some point in his life, compared to 4 percent for a white male born that year;14 "

CENTER ON JUVENILE AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE

http://www.cjcj.org/pubs/punishing/punishing.html
"Up the Irons!"

KLMA330

Thu May 12, 2005 3:21 am

Alot of people are nervous to begin with on taxi during take off.. hell, i'm an aviation enthusiast, and still get just a tad shaky before the metal tube I'm on starts speeding down a runway that ends! lol... so, you have 200 people of whom at least half are jittery, you're in Cyprus, which is a stone throw away from Israel and the Middle East, and you have someone starting to scream out ALLAH, during these unfortunately turbulent times between West and Islam. No matter how you look at it, it's understandable that people got scared... certainly not the conditions I'd like to take off under... simple as that.

ahlfors

Thu May 12, 2005 3:25 am

Jacobin777,

You know, you make a good point about blacks in the US criminal system. However, the case of being scared of being scared of Muslims is in fact even more ridiculous. It is taught in the US that despite the fact that one in three young black men get entangled in the criminal justice system, it is wrong to do racial profiling. There are over a billion Muslims in the world, and the proportion of them who have committed terrorist acts is miniscule, and even with the wildest statistics you can't even get close to 0.01%! So if less than 0.01% of the world's Muslim population has a penchant for terrorist acts, it really is even more ridiculous to consider profiling Muslims than it is to consider profiling blacks.

In the end, what we have in the Western world is a case of a mass belief in what is ultimately a fallacy. That most terrorist acts committed against aircraft are committed by Muslims DOES NOT mean that most Muslims commit such terrorist acts.

[Edited 2005-05-11 20:28:08]

ContnlEliteCMH

Thu May 12, 2005 3:30 am

Funny funny! Did anybody shoot back?  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

jacobin777

Thu May 12, 2005 3:46 am

Ahlfors, thats why I brought the topic up..the whole concept is ABSURD...there are 50,000 car related deaths in the US alone (don't know the rate in Europe)........ Add in alcohol/tobacco/firearms/heart disease (due to obesity) and those numbers are astronomical!!

what the probability of being in another terrorist attack on a plane?

this is nothing more than ignorance and blind prejudice.
"Up the Irons!"

scott0305

Thu May 12, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting Shamrock_747 (Reply 5):
Typical tabloid media (in this case a trashy TV channel) sensationalism exaggerating what actually occurred.

Pretty much all media tends to sensationalise these things and the media is notoriously bad at getting the detail right when it comes to aviation. But I don't think you can call ITV (the UK's largest commercial TV station) trashy.

lazyshaun

Thu May 12, 2005 3:51 am

Nice to see that they got an up to date photo for the item....

Wrong a/c type, old livery....

You took the words right out my mouth, RTFM!!  Confused
I came. I saw. I conquered

MaverickM11

Thu May 12, 2005 4:15 am

"your comments are nothing but frivilous drivel, bodering on racism and prejudism"

You can't deal with the FACT that most air terrorism is perpetrated by one group of people?

"...based on your analogy, the next time an african american walks down the street, I should be concerned..... "

No, based on my analogy if I was on the bus with said black person and he started screaming in a language I didn't understand, I bet a few of the passengers on the bus would be concerned. It's human nature, and human nature isn't politically correct.

"It is taught...it is wrong to do racial profiling"

Only for politically correct ends, not any rational reason.

"That most terrorist acts committed against aircraft are committed by Muslims DOES NOT mean that most Muslims commit such terrorist acts.
"

No one ever said that, but to assume that people that are in a situation like this will react with reasoning rather ("Oh, it's just a random guy screaming in Arabic, like you normally do on an airplane all the time  Yeah sure") than suspicion ("WTF is that??) is to be sorely detached from reality.
E pur si muove -Galileo

RedDragon

Thu May 12, 2005 4:31 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 4):
Not such a good day for LHR!

It was in Larnaca...

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (Reply 21):
The evacuation posed more of a threat to passengers than some scared passenger This was a an innocuous occurrence and should not have warranted an evacuation.

To echo Shamrock_747 in reply 5, it really doesn't sound like an evacuation!

Quoting Scott0305 (Reply 29):
But I don't think you can call ITV (the UK's largest commercial TV station) trashy.

Maybe not quite the extreme of "trashy", but ITV News is hardly noted for its thoughtful and credible news coverage, is it?

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 22):
Without knowing all that transpired, why consider the man guilty until proven innocent? I always thought the West meant innocent until proven guilty.

Hear hear.

Rich

Udo

Thu May 12, 2005 5:35 am

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 14):
Last I checked it was 19 Arab guys who flew a plane into a American skyscraper, not the other way around.

I didn't deny that. All I said was to be careful in pointing fingers at the guy as long as we don't know all the facts. Probably he was in panic (simple fear of flying?), and probably he doesn't speak other languages than Arabic.

Did the guy run around the cabin? Did he go to the front? Did he threaten other passengers? Until that point we just know he shouted in Arabic. Last time I checked that language wasn't banned from aircraft.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 15):
we are in an Anglo environment here and some of the guys think a bit different than the average German voter of the Greens.

Oh, who is a voter of the Greens?  Confused Definitely not me. If you knew some of my previous postings of the past years here you would know better.

By the way, some Germans deserve cultural training as well, especially when they are overseas or try to slap their political opinions on others.

Just in case your statement is aimed at me: where exactly did I "slap a political opinion?"
And as far as Yyz717 is concerned: I recommend to read some of his permanent racist stuff on the non-av board. He doesn't let an opportunity pass to spread his anti-Arabic, anti-Muslim propaganda. But you are new here, so you cannot know.

A panic attack is one thing. Shouting in Arabic on a Western airline is NOT COOL.

Oh, there are many things in the world which I don't rate "cool". The question is: has he attacked anyone? Threatened anyone? Or did he just shout in a language which others simply don't understand? And probably a panic attack sometimes lets people shout? In which language do you shout when you get hurt?

Those other Western passengers were rightfully terrified. His lack of cultural sensitivity to those Westerners is shocking and ignorant.

In a case of a panic attack no person is really able to care about "sensitivity".

Haha....so says a German. The irony is too funny.

And? What's your point? What do you want to tell me? That Germans in general don't show tolerance and respect towards other cultures? One more of your well-known dumb generalisations against other countries and races?

The irony is that many people from a country which once taught my ancestors lessons in tolerance and democracy now seem to be in greatest need of education themselves...

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 19):
As UDO stated, do you know the facts of the situation? Maybe the only language which the pax spoke was arabic....

Exactly, that's the point. At least some guys are mentally able to understand what I wrote.

Are you a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist?

No, but he's an expert in racist remarks against Arabs and muslims.

UDO..whats going on here, we seem to be agreeing a bit more if you ask me...quite scary

Indeed, it's amazing. If that goes on we end up at our respective RU lists...  Wink

Regards
Udo

redflyer

Thu May 12, 2005 5:53 am

If I was on an aircraft and I heard someone shouting Islamic prayers, I would be pretty F*&king scared as well, and Im sure 99% of people would agree with me!

Angry, not scared. And I'd be inclined to take action. But I agree with your point.

I mean it's OK and nice that you step in for that person who created this havoc on the BA plane, but my opinion really is that an airplane should not be mistaken with a football stadium or a Mallorca Tavern either and no one of the other passengers asked to be entertained by a loud voice screaming something which scares the sh... out of them, knowing what happened 9/11. By the way, some Germans deserve cultural training as well, especially when they are overseas or try to slap their political opinions on others.

That deserves an add to my RU list!

Quoting Ahlfors (Reply 17):
So I don't see any problem with shouting Allahu Akbar (God is great) if you want God to make your flight safe.

Why shout it? Especially when it's known that certain Muslims shout it just before slaughtering countless innocents along with themselves? That alone would concern me if someone shouted it aloud on an aircraft in this post-9/11 environment.

Muslims around the world pray five times a day and most of them are very peaceful.

I totally agree with that statement.

It is culturally insensitive to let the very few extremists give a bad name to the vast majority of Muslims that are peace loving.

Again, I agree. But an aircraft is a different environment that requires vigilance in situations that shouldn't otherwise garner attention in any other public arena.

We Westerners are the ones who need to be taught some lessons in cultural insensitivity, as we expect every Muslim who acts a bit weird in our view to be a terrorist.

I won't argue with your point on this one; however, do you think the Muslim on that plane who was praying loudly should have been taught some lesson in cultural sensitivity as well, such as being told to pray in a low voice when on a Western airline? Or does the cultural sensitivity you speak of only go in one direction?

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):
Now, if he'd have gotten out of his seat and started running up and down the aisles, then you have grounds to take action.

What if he was saying in a loud voice "Allah Akhbar" knowing that a bomb in the cargo hold was about to go off? It wouldn't require him to get out of his seat to set off alarms.

The bottom line is I'm reading in these posts so much about Westerners' lack of cultural sensitivity but no one has addressed the fact that this moron didn't possess the same cultural sensitivity when he boarded a Western flight in a Western country, carrying predominantly Western subjects. And in a post-9/11 security heightened environment.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

MaverickM11

Thu May 12, 2005 6:02 am

"Now, if he'd have gotten out of his seat and started running up and down the aisles, then you have grounds to take action."

The shoe bomber never got out of his seat... Where do you draw the line between "normal behavior" and behavior that warrants concern?
E pur si muove -Galileo

ConcordeBoy

Thu May 12, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 24):
your comments are nothing but frivilous drivel, bodering on racism and prejudism

...how convenient that you forget to mention "based on recent history" to that as well though.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

ahlfors

Thu May 12, 2005 6:06 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 34):
I won't argue with your point on this one; however, do you think the Muslim on that plane who was praying loudly should have been taught some lesson in cultural sensitivity as well, such as being told to pray in a low voice when on a Western airline? Or does the cultural sensitivity you speak of only go in one direction?

I do agree that shouting in a plane is something that is not particularly culturally accepted, but I do not think someone shouting "Allahu Akbar" should be reacted to any differently than someone (Western) shouting "Jesus Christ" or "God is Great" or anything else non-threatening in a European language. It seems there was a reaction given the language he used and probably his ethnicity, which is inappropriate.
In all cases, someone should probably go confront the person shouting, and tell them its making the other passengers uncomfortable.

Just the fact that one reacts differently to an Arab shouting "Allahu Akbar" than to an Englishman shouting "God is Great" shows that one is being very prejudicial.

aa757first

Thu May 12, 2005 6:08 am

I seriously doubt the aircraft was evacuated. I would say a rapid exit took place. That would mean the aircraft pulled off the runway and have airstairs or a jetway positioned and passengers would be directed off the aircraft as quickly as possible. I would find it hard to believe all of the slide packs on whatever type of plane they were on could be repacked so quickly.

AAndrew

CORULEZ05

Thu May 12, 2005 6:09 am

Hey, I would be the first one off that plane if this happened to me. I am definetly in favor of the actions BA took. An Arab man shouting arabic nonsense??? He is lucky he didn't get jumped by the people on the plane out of fear!!

Quoting GothamSpotter (Reply 11):
If the public had confidence that passengers were being profiled and screened properly on the ground, incidents like this wouldn't happen.

Can never be 100% sure. 9/11 ring a bell??? Regards of the security or lack of it, passengers need to be aware of what is going on.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

Udo

Thu May 12, 2005 6:11 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 35):
The shoe bomber never got out of his seat... Where do you draw the line between "normal behavior" and behavior that warrants concern?

But the shoe bomber didn't shout, right? Indeed, where draw a line? What would you recommend then? Ban the use of Arabic on board of airliners? There are some paranoid people which would even interpret a normal Arabic conversation as a "shouting of Arabic".
I was several times "interviewed" for only using binoculars inflight. PARANOIA can interpret ANYTHING as a threat. That's the problem today.

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 36):
...how convenient that you forget to mention "based on recent history" to that as well though.

"Recent history" does not justify racist remarks and permanent prejudices.

Regards
Udo

pilotaydin

Thu May 12, 2005 6:12 am

great, another bs post by certain ppl on here towards the fact that we need to be sensitive before we yell in arabic...how much more can we diss and put down the middle east, arabs and the islamic world?
some people need to grow up, and FAST, and if not, let the mature people run the globe...
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

kevi747

Thu May 12, 2005 6:22 am

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (Reply 21):
The evacuation posed more of a threat to passengers than some scared passenger This was a an innocuous occurrence and should not have warranted an evacuation.

I read the article and it doesn't sound like a full evacuation using slides. The PAX were more likely asked to deplane via a rampstand or jetbridge after the security guards removed the man who was shouting. In other words: the crew didn't freak out and blow the slides.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

AsstChiefMark

Thu May 12, 2005 6:24 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 33):
Probably he was in panic (simple fear of flying?), and probably he doesn't speak other languages than Arabic.

Did the guy run around the cabin? Did he go to the front? Did he threaten other passengers?

Maybe his shouting was a signal to others on the airplane to initiate their plan. Maybe the shouting was a "kamikaze scream" just prior to taking physical action. Maybe his shouting was something like, "You're all going to die," or "You heathen infidels! You will pay for your indiscretions." Since I don't understand Arabic, I would err on the side of safety and assume that's what he was shouting. The longer you "wait and see" if something will escalate the less time you have to remain safe.

The airline professionals made the correct decision. Period.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail