John
Topic Author

For The Artists: An HP Plane In A US Hybrid Livery

Thu May 12, 2005 11:56 am

Please share with us your ideas on how you'd envision an America West transitional (interim) livery to look like....Thanks.

Cody

RE: For The Artists: An HP Plane In A US Hybrid Livery

Thu May 12, 2005 12:19 pm

I don't know if they will have one. I thought they were planning on keeping the operations seperate for a while. It might be like the AirTran/ValuJet merger. No hybrid, just a complete repaint when the time comes.

midex461

Thu May 12, 2005 3:00 pm

Here's some more ideas.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Durbin

Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

SHUPirate1

Thu May 12, 2005 3:19 pm

You know, the premise of this thread was a good idea, however, the responses with the pictures of planes from airlines that have gone under are, if you ask me, tasteless. Expect a deletion request for those posts, and in fairness, if that happens, I will request this post to self-destruct as well.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 12, 2005 3:26 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 5):
Expect a deletion request for those posts, and in fairness, if that happens, I will request this post to self-destruct as well.

That'd be too bad, as this forum can be way too uptight. I have nothing against those airlines, nor HP or US, but it illustrated his thoughts as good, if not better, than words. It's not like he went on and on about the people, shareholders, killer competition, etc. It was an illustration. Period.

-Dave
-Dave

midex461

Thu May 12, 2005 3:37 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 6):
It's not like he went on and on about the people, shareholders, killer competition, etc. It was an illustration. Period.

Exactly. Since I'm working for HP out in PHX, I don't want to see the company go under. I just think that CEO Parker is rushing to the altar of merger a little too quickly.
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

aviatortj

Thu May 12, 2005 3:39 pm

See this in Phoenix next month:

Maybe the orange in the tail lets a little too much HP through. Maybe I'll throw another together.

UAL-Fan

Thu May 12, 2005 3:45 pm

I sure hope that America West keeps itself out of US Air's mess.

BNE

Thu May 12, 2005 4:03 pm

AviatorTJ thanks for getting the thread back on track, looks like your plane had an engine change.

The white fuselage is good, the US Airways flag logo is good, you just need to play around with the colours, the orange, red, green.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

midex461

Thu May 12, 2005 4:23 pm

I dunno, you think maybe the US logo with the HP background on the tail? Other than that, looks pretty good.

aviatortj

Thu May 12, 2005 4:26 pm

Thanks, I was noticing the engine as I was looking at the photo on here. Crazy the things noticed. I'm thinking that the "US Red" gets that plane taken care of. The tail and front titles would be a decal. I'm guessing any additional work would be done in a paintshop and would look like this:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Adam Wright

flyboyaz

Thu May 12, 2005 10:52 pm

Actually that's not bad...I mean for a recently merger airliner to look like. Usually in the interim, the old colors stay and the new name is just plastered on the side.
Catch a ride on a smile!

John
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2005 12:00 am

AviatorTJ, that's interesting....anyone else want to give it a try?

MaverickM11

Fri May 13, 2005 12:05 am

"the responses with the pictures of planes from airlines that have gone under are, if you ask me, tasteless"

A) Get a life.

B) The chances of a US/HP merger being anything but a parking lot at the PHX and CLT airports are slim.
E pur si muove -Galileo

John
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2005 12:18 am

From my understanding, every indication is pointing to a DONE deal and this MERGER could be announced as early as next week...so we'll see who'll be eating crow.

SBN580

Fri May 13, 2005 1:14 am

Why is it that the America West name is the one to go away? US Airways is one of the most boring names, livery and logo in airline history! And yeah, HP should stay out of US Airways. Hopefully it won't come to pass. But hey, if so, let's call it Allegheny West or Piedmont West!  wink 
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

EA CO AS

Fri May 13, 2005 1:19 am

Actually, I really like this livery - I'd love to see the ENTIRE combined fleet painted this way!

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Azul320

Fri May 13, 2005 1:25 am

It's hideous, make it go away.
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

gigneil

Fri May 13, 2005 1:27 am

Quoting SBN580 (Reply 15):
US Airways is one of the most boring names, livery and logo in airline history

Boring name, perhaps, but its the single finest livery to ever grace a US carrier ever.

N

Azul320

Fri May 13, 2005 1:28 am

I always thought Continental's livery was boring and tasteless.
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

CBERFlyer

Fri May 13, 2005 1:35 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 18):
Boring name, perhaps, but its the single finest livery to ever grace a US carrier ever.

I agree... I think the US livery is the most classy and dignified of all of the legacy carriers. As for the LCCs, F9 is the best.

Byrdluvs747

Fri May 13, 2005 1:37 am

That livery would be sort of ok, but get rid of the "us airways.com". The dotcom bubble has been popped for five years now. Also put the name above the windows, and maybe paint those flap-pylon thingies under the wing like WN does.

Let's not go overboard shall we. US' paint doesn't even come close to the beauty of HA(even with all the white). Everytime I see a US plane I think of a hearse.

[Edited 2005-05-12 18:38:01]
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

SBN580

Fri May 13, 2005 1:45 am

Let's agree to disagree on that one. That logo is just awful. That super stylized American flag just sits there and does nothing. What is it? An airline? The postal service? Corporation X? And all white? Could the little blue square meant to symbolize the field in the flag at least have been blue and the stripes red and white? It's no accident that this livery and logo came under the Stephen Wolf regime. He gave Republic a branding that was a stupefying, similar, blase makeover. The colors are just moved around different on US. zzz  I say this, the livery is better executed on US than on RC. The font is dull but better than RC. The navy blue fuselage is the best part.
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

ALB2ATL

Fri May 13, 2005 1:58 am

The US AIRWAYS name is perfect. How is US Airways any more "boring" than American Airlines?? I like the name US Airways because it would be instantly recognized around the world as a "US Airline."

I would like to see a new livery - unpainted or white would be nice, however I do like US's current scheme.

I hope the rumors of a merger are true - and hope it works out. I had written off US months ago, but it looks like they may pull thru.

burnsie28

Fri May 13, 2005 2:11 am

Im thinking the airline name will be US West, with HP being the main company over US.

ALB2ATL

Fri May 13, 2005 2:21 am

I don't think using "West" in the new name makes much sense. The combined airline would operate in Europe, the Carribean and all over the country. I hope something more original than US WEST comes out of this. Not to slam any ideas - just my opinion.

gigneil

Fri May 13, 2005 2:24 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 24):
Im thinking the airline name will be US West, with HP being the main company over US.

I'm positive that name is still a registered trademark of Qwest Communications.

N

MaverickM11

Fri May 13, 2005 2:34 am

"I don't think using "West" in the new name makes much sense. The combined airline would operate in Europe, the Carribean and all over the country"

Except for the middle of the country...it'll be like a big donut.
E pur si muove -Galileo

MarkATL

Fri May 13, 2005 2:37 am

Does this mean we'll get Pennsylvania, New York, Virginia and North Carolina flag painted 757s?
"...left my home in Georgia, 'n headed for the "Frisco" Bay...

PVD757

Fri May 13, 2005 2:47 am

With the new airline having a true coast to coast network and it being named "US Airways," I think it should incorporate a more red/white/blue scheme. If AviatorTJ has time, try leaving what is white on HP and changing the underbelly and tail to a blue that matches the US Flag, with the red trim...???

aviatortj

Fri May 13, 2005 2:48 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 21):
That livery would be sort of ok, but get rid of the "us airways.com". The dotcom bubble has been popped for five years now. Also put the name above the windows, and maybe paint those flap-pylon thingies under the wing like WN does.

The usairways.com was inspired from their silver planes. The placement is similar to the star alliance version, and I think it fits this combo. Also, if they were to paint the "pylon thingies" they would do it in the paintshop and the plane would come out looking like this:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Carter

captaink

Fri May 13, 2005 3:06 am

I think the name US Airways should stay, becuase it is powerful name, instantly recognizable anywhere in the world. America West could work, but the "WEST" in the name is pretty limiting in my opionion, sounds like a regional airline.

The scheme should change though. The current US scheme is nice, quite unusual but I think a rebranding to a brighter base color, possibly incorporating the US flag colors would be nice. Imagine this...

The tail would be the blue that is found on the American flag. The flag on the tail would still be white, and the red tip would remain. That blue from the tail would continue on the fuselage, but not the entire top of the fuselage, but just above the cabin window level. Under that blue on the fuselage would be the red stripe, and the white bottom. Above the blue would be white again, with the name US Airways in the same blue found on the tail and fuselage. Can you imagine this? Sounds good I think...
There is something special about planes....

Byrdluvs747

Fri May 13, 2005 3:19 am

Quoting ALB2ATL (Reply 25):
I don't think using "West" in the new name makes much sense.

Yeah sure

What is this obsession with pigeon-holing an airline into a region because of it's name. I can't believe that kind of dumb logic persists on an aviation board. So NW shouldn't fly to Asia, and AS should never leave the state of Alaska?

By the way. The new name will eventually be Pan Am. Big grin

captaink

Fri May 13, 2005 3:53 am

I think this site give people the opportunity to express their opinions.. And saying you prefer a name that doesnt identify with a particular region of a country is only just that, an opinion of what you think is better. Not a case of what is right or wrong. Noone said NW or AS was wrong in thier choice of name, or that it would be wrong for America West to retain it's name, some people just think that US Airways would be better.
There is something special about planes....

miamix707

Fri May 13, 2005 4:22 am

The US Airways scheme is quite elegant, after all it's a cheap copy of Royal Jordanian. However, on those A319s it makes them appear even less graceful than they already are.

I never liiked the US.Airways font or how the name sounded. USAir is easier to say. Now, I think US (and HP especially) are one of the few decent liveries among all the North American majors. HP special schemes are a real treat to see also.

[Edited 2005-05-12 21:30:09]

EnviroTO

Fri May 13, 2005 4:24 am

I agree with those that think that US Airways has one of the classiest paint jobs out there. I think the US Airways name is fine as well and having "West" in a new name wouldn't make much sense unless the name was Eastwest Airlines.

Hopefully if they change the livery they don't go with schemes with too much white or grey (or the almost white with sparkles / almost grey with sparkles). Go with colour, or maybe even a colour with sparkles. That is my opinion.

galapagapop

Fri May 13, 2005 5:13 am

N

I can agree with that as the Deep Dark Royal Blue is just beautiful. Although HP has a nice livery as well.

nucsh

Fri May 13, 2005 5:16 am

It seems that you all have forgotten some of the terms of this merger... They will use HP management and the US Airways name for the first year, and then rebrand themselves after that. (of course, HP management will stay - and that is just awesome, IMO)
If landing is about "kissing" the ground, you just about raped it.

USairways16BWI

Fri May 13, 2005 5:22 am

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!!  hissyfit   mad 

but its the single finest livery to ever grace a US carrier ever.

TRUE!------^

Aloha717200

Fri May 13, 2005 5:38 am

Quoting Nucsh (Reply 37):
They will use HP management and the US Airways name for the first year, and then rebrand themselves after that.

There is no guarantee of that, though. In all the press releases that I have read, all have only said that the combined airline would be "US Airways".

None, except for people on this forum, have said that the name would only be temporary until they re-brand.

So how do we know?

I just hope that it IS true and that the US name DOES die once and for all. I'm also in the "US has a boring livery" camp. Big grin

laxtwin

Fri May 13, 2005 6:07 am

I read in the Phoenix newspaper that US Airways would be kept as a transitional name and a new one would be chosen.

AeroVodochody

Fri May 13, 2005 6:49 am

single finest livery to ever grace a US carrier ever.

True, especially on the A333, but UA's new one comes pretty close too.

Anyway, here's my idea, keep the US livery and replace everything but the black with orange, or do it the other way, orange where the black is now, and the rest black. wow that sounds confusing! I wish I could make a pic.
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

Tom in NO

Fri May 13, 2005 6:59 am

Any livery that one can't even see after the sun goes down is lame. (That goes for you too, UA.)

And here's to hoping that HP's employees get treated better than either PS's or PI's did after those buyouts.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

PVD757

Fri May 13, 2005 7:10 am

I think that this new company if formed, will not do any merging of a new livery until they start their long-term fleet planning. They need to address whose engines and whose aircraft they keep long term. I hope they go in a totally new direction. AmWest does not have any clout on the east coast. US has a bad reputation. Period. They need to find some sort of American or US without pissing in AA's backyard too badly.

sacflyer

Fri May 13, 2005 7:44 am

Is the ghost of PSA going to keep showing up with the occasional smile painted on a plane? That would be cool.  smile 

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

AirEMS

Fri May 13, 2005 9:32 am

Call me crazy flying in helicopters over the divide will do that to a person but I have always liked A West's livery it stands out in a world of bland liverys and it wasn't painted by Peter Max lol

Fly Safe
-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

USairways16BWI

Fri May 13, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting AeroVodochody (Reply 41):
Anyway, here's my idea, keep the US livery and replace everything but the black with orange, or do it the other way, orange where the black is now, and the rest black. wow that sounds confusing! I wish I could make a pic.

...just a slight correction, its not black, its dark blue

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri May 13, 2005 9:56 am

Here is my little suggestion. And yes, I know I'm not good at Photoshop, but you get a general idea  Wink

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Byrdluvs747

Fri May 13, 2005 10:19 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 39):
I just hope that it IS true and that the US name DOES die once and for all. I'm also in the "US has a boring livery" camp.

It seems as though it's just the two of us in this fight.

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 42):
And here's to hoping that HP's employees get treated better than either PS's or PI's did after those buyouts.

I think for once, the US employees will end up on the short end of the stick.

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 43):
AmWest does not have any clout on the east coast.

That doesn't mean that HP can't build it's brand. Just the act of merging with HP will give them massive exposure.

Byrdluvs747

Fri May 13, 2005 10:33 am

KaiGywer,

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 47):
Here is my little suggestion. And yes, I know I'm not good at Photoshop, but you get a general idea

Good effort, but one thing that needs to stay in the livery is the zig-zag lines(sorry to the native american culture for not knowing) on the rear of the fuselage.

That's something that is unique to only HP, and it would be nice to export that to other parts of the world.