Aloha717200
Topic Author

HP/US - Will They Actually Re-Brand?

Fri May 13, 2005 5:55 am

In most of the threads here on a.net about the HP/US merger, people mention at least once that HP will only be US Airways for 1 year, and then they will re-brand themselves with a new name.

But in every article I've seen online regarding this possible merger, I haven't seen any mention of the US name being "only temporary".

They all say that US Airways will be the surviving name, but that's it. The only place I've heard of it being temporary, is on these forums.

So is there really any confirmation that it would be temporary or is this just speculation on the part of a.net members themselves? Is there a quote from someone within HP management about whether the US name really is just an interim name until a new brand is unveiled, or no?

Byrdluvs747

RE: HP/US - Will They Actually Re-Brand?

Fri May 13, 2005 6:22 am

I've seen it mentioned in a few articles, but which article out of the hundreds of neswire releases I can't remember.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

gigneil

Fri May 13, 2005 6:22 am

I doubt it. US is a strong, well known brand. They will keep the name.

N

DL WIDGET HEAD

Fri May 13, 2005 6:27 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Thread starter):
So is there really any confirmation that it would be temporary or is this just speculation on the part of a.net members themselves?

How can there be confirmation on this if we don't know yet whether a deal has been struck? I think the name change after a year thing was reported by some news agencies quoting anonymous sources and then spread to ANET.

TWFirst

Fri May 13, 2005 6:28 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 2):

I agree.... rules of building a strong brand dictate: why start from scratch?
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

skidmarks

Fri May 13, 2005 6:30 am

So, is it definate that America West and US Airways are merging? I thought they were just in serious talks.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Byrdluvs747

Fri May 13, 2005 6:34 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 4):
why start from scratch?

Because a name is associated with mismanagement and incompetence.

US is a strong, well known brand.

In many cases, they're known for all the wrong reasons.

redngold

Fri May 13, 2005 6:35 am

Well, if they do merge, here are two options:

America Airways (let's really confuse the passengers!)

US West (no, wait... we don't want to name ourselves after a horrendous telephone company...)

stirthepot  redngold
Up, up and away!

mariner

Fri May 13, 2005 6:37 am

Um -

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 6):
Quoting Gigneil (Reply 2):US is a strong, well known brand.
In many cases, they're known for all the wrong reasons.

- I think you're being a tad biased. After all, America West has an alternate name which isn't exactly a trumpet call of excellence.

It begins with W and ends with T, but it ain't West, it has one more letter.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

aa757first

Fri May 13, 2005 6:39 am

N

I agree. US Airways much more known throughout the East, although they do have little recognition in the West. But, US Airways also has a name in the Carribean and Europe, two of the most important markets the new airline would be/will be dealing with. Add to the fact America West would sound silly in Europe (a very regional name, imagine flying America West PHL-LGW) and has little recognition in the East, and US Airways seems to be the only way to go.

I hope the US Airways name survives, even if it is just to see that fantastic livery still flying.

AAndrew

flashmeister

Fri May 13, 2005 6:41 am

To be fair, Mariner, both US and HP have their alternate names. America West might be dubbed America Worst by some, but US Airways was long known by more than a few folks as US Scareways. Not terrific.

kcrwflyer

Fri May 13, 2005 6:48 am

wouldnt this merger make them the largest US airline? also i think they should go with US AIR. you know.. before they slapped ways on the end.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Fri May 13, 2005 6:49 am

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 11):
wouldnt this merger make them the largest US airline? also i think they should go with US AIR. you know.. before they slapped ways on the end.

Not even close.

mariner

Fri May 13, 2005 7:29 am

Flashmeister:

No, I agree. But why dump on one and ignore the dump on the other?

Then again, why dump at all? A name is just a name and some wag will find a way to play with any name, justified or not.

Try Walking Across? It didn't even raise a smile out of me.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2005 7:30 am

Agreed. The US name and colours need to go.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Fri May 13, 2005 7:35 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 14):

Agreed. The US name and colours need to go.

I also agree. I think the US Airways name would ultimately be bad for the new company. They need a completely new name and color scheme IMO.

Midway2AirTran

Fri May 13, 2005 7:43 am

Everything I have come across indicates the idea that the combined airline will be US Airways, of course run by HP management. No significant indicators of any name change yet. IMO it would be best to run on the US Airways name, colors scheme changes that reflect the combination in some sort would be another step.

Of course if the name change is totally necesary, just go back to US Air! Actually I think I like that better too...
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

dutchjet

Fri May 13, 2005 7:48 am

What I do not understand is the rationale behind using the name for one year - if the carriers merge, and the management made the determination to keep the US name, I could understand that decision (I dont agree with it, but I understand it). Or, if the management determined that it was best to launch a new name and image upon the merger being completed, and the combined airline would start off with a new name, I could understand that decision as well. But I dont understand the benefit of changing the airline's name TWICE on the America West system.

What is the benefit of using the US name on the America West system for just one year?

On the other hand, its probably not that important, I think its unlikely that this deal will go through.

kcrwflyer

Fri May 13, 2005 7:59 am

how about Trans American?

zippyjet

Fri May 13, 2005 8:12 am

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 18):
how about Trans American?

Not bad but, there was an airline called Trans America which was part of a movie company I think. And then that name could be confused with us, FL, or imagine the confusion with America Trans Air.
A couple of ideas for a rename:

• General Jet
  • General Aviation
  • Oceanic he, he, he just kidding on that one. The infamous name used in airline disaster movies, including Lost.
  • Dyna Jet
  • WEO Where Economy Originates.
  • Phoenix World Airways: HP is big in Phoenix and US Airways always seems to stay alive by the skin of it's teeth.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

ER757

Fri May 13, 2005 8:49 am

Quoting Flashmeister (Reply 10):
US Airways was long known by more than a few folks as US Scareways

I've also heard them referred to as "Useless Air".

Quoting Mariner (Reply 13):
Try Walking Across

I always thought it stood for "The Worst Airline"

FA4B6

Fri May 13, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 11):

I would hope for a total rebranding, and a livery similar to US', just not as serious looking.

What about Air America? Air US?
"Leap! And the net will appear."

aa757first

Fri May 13, 2005 8:58 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 19):
* General Jet
* General Aviation
* Oceanic he, he, he just kidding on that one. The infamous name used in airline disaster movies, including Lost.
* Dyna Jet
* WEO Where Economy Originates.
* Phoenix World Airways: HP is big in Phoenix and US Airways always seems to stay alive by the skin of it's teeth.

Oh, dear God! Are you serious about those names? Why not just name it Fly-A-Wreck? Then the airline can partner with Rent-A-Wreck.

AAndrew

laxtwin

Fri May 13, 2005 9:15 am

What if they ignored the US/America concern and went with something diffrerent like Jetblue and Song did?

If so, I'd like to suggest: Idunno.

Their ad campaigns could feature that. "What airline did you fly?" "Was your flight on time?" "What airline flies to Phoenix, Philadelphia and Frankurt?" They could all be answered with "Idunno." And their logo could be an airplane wearing a dunce cap.

malaysia

Fri May 13, 2005 9:38 am

American Travelways Airlines? hehe

how about the Simpsons episode that played on the words on HP
as a fake airline in the cartoon that Bart took to Hong kong

Ameri Westica?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

jmc1975

Fri May 13, 2005 9:38 am

Something new and fresh is absolutely necessary. Here are some examples:

Virgin America
Liberty Airways
Cactus Airlines

The USAirways name has bad connotations....USAirworst, You Ess Errorways. Also, the black paint scheme would not hold up to Arizona's scorching summer sun and inside the cabins will be hotter than hedes!

kcrwflyer

Fri May 13, 2005 10:03 am

if theyre gonna be a LCC how about something like East2west airways? then the paint scheme could start out with a beach then fade to a desert or something? thated probably be too elaborate and expensive but ited look cool.

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 13, 2005 10:24 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 8):
- I think you're being a tad biased. After all, America West has an alternate name which isn't exactly a trumpet call of excellence.

It begins with W and ends with T, but it ain't West, it has one more letter.

cheers

mariner

Exactly the point I made in another thread. Afterall, it isn't like it's US+Legend or US+Singapore or US+Alaska.

-Dave
-Dave

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 13, 2005 10:31 am

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 15):
They need a completely new name and color scheme IMO.

Actually, rebranding doesn't necessarily mean a new name would be needed. Look at USAir to US Airways. While the name was basically the same, the branding of it was all new. It went from it's regional routes to a new national image that better fit their ambitions. There's no reason the name couldn't be kept but with an entirely new colorscheme and image selection.

-Dave
-Dave

EA CO AS

Fri May 13, 2005 10:55 am

Here's a random question - if a merger occurs, do you see US migrating to SHARES or HP migrating to SABRE?

Having worked on both systems, I think SABRE is the superior system - and they'd probably get a better financial deal from them as well.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Byrdluvs747

Fri May 13, 2005 11:07 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 28):
Actually, rebranding doesn't necessarily mean a new name would be needed. Look at USAir to US Airways. While the name was basically the same, the branding of it was all new. It went from it's regional routes to a new national image that better fit their ambitions. There's no reason the name couldn't be kept but with an entirely new colorscheme and image selection.

If I paint my dogs poo gold, it doesn't change that fact that it's poo.  Big grin

cha747

Fri May 13, 2005 12:48 pm

People...the answer is obvious!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jay Selman
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruce Highland

You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

zippyjet

Fri May 13, 2005 12:54 pm

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 25):
Something new and fresh is absolutely necessary. Here are some examples:

Virgin America
Liberty Airways
Cactus Airlines

The USAirways name has bad connotations....USAirworst, You Ess Errorways. Also, the black paint scheme would not hold up to Arizona's scorching summer sun and inside the cabins will be hotter than hedes!

You Ess Errorways is clever, never thought of that one but, US Scareways?
Might be time to let the US Airways, Allegheny names and liverys pass on to that airport in the sky.

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 22):
* General Jet
* General Aviation
* Oceanic he, he, he just kidding on that one. The infamous name used in airline disaster movies, including Lost.
* Dyna Jet
* WEO Where Economy Originates.
* Phoenix World Airways: HP is big in Phoenix and US Airways always seems to stay alive by the skin of it's teeth.

Oh, dear God! Are you serious about those names? Why not just name it Fly-A-Wreck? Then the airline can partner with Rent-A-Wreck.

AAndrew

Sort of serious. And, passengers would have a product they laugh with and laugh at. Name recognition will be easy and in the business world, some of the most effective branding and advertising is stuff that is stupid, funny or lacking common sense. No one will confuse "Dyna Jet" with WN, ATA, us FL.
Same goes for the General names. If it wasn't copywrited, they should name the combined airline Spectre! or Smersh
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 13, 2005 1:25 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 30):
If I paint my dogs poo gold, it doesn't change that fact that it's poo.

True. By the same token then, despite the revised scheme/image, it's still the same old America West Airlines.

-Dave
-Dave

flyboyaz

Fri May 13, 2005 1:38 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 33):
True. By the same token then, despite the revised scheme/image, it's still the same old America West Airlines.

Let's hope that turns out to be true, then the airline will stand a better chance of surviving!
Catch a ride on a smile!

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 13, 2005 2:10 pm

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 34):
Let's hope that turns out to be true, then the airline will stand a better chance of surviving!

Actually, I agree. I was just trying to illustrate a point - not trying to bash HP. Sorry if it came across that way.

-Dave
-Dave

Singh4US

Tue May 17, 2005 11:33 pm

Everything indicates that the US Airways name will continue.

But, I vote for Phoenix Airways as U is like a phoenix:

: a legendary bird which according to one account lived 500 years, burned itself to ashes on a pyre, and rose alive from the ashes to live another period; also : a person or thing likened to the phoenix

USairways16BWI

Tue May 17, 2005 11:45 pm

Also, the black paint scheme would not hold up to Arizona's scorching summer sun and inside the cabins will be hotter than hedes!

its not black...its dark blue. and i dont think the paint color has anything to do with the temperature inside the cabin.

columba

Wed May 18, 2005 12:16 am

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 21):
What about Air America?

Would that not also be confusing with the airline" operated from Laos during the Vietnam war.

Quoting Cha747 (Reply 31):
People...the answer is obvious!

Accepted -would be a good idea, I know that the Piedmont name belongs to US Airways so they don´t have to pay for the name -but wouldn´t it be great if they could buy the name and brand of "Pan Am" or "TWA". These are names Europeans and Americans are very familiar with and if they want to become one of the leading airlines on the Atlantic route one of these two would be the perfect name  Smile
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

Byrdluvs747

Wed May 18, 2005 12:23 am

The mortuary livery that US currently has, while appropriate for a dying airline, needs to go after the merger. HP needs something bright and more lively.

Quoting UsAirways16bwi (Reply 37):
its not black...its dark blue. and i dont think the paint color has anything to do with the temperature inside the cabin.

Clearly you've never been to Phoenix. Didn't you learn in high school science that a darker color will absorb more light(heat) than a lighter color? Those dark blue(might as well be black) jets sitting on the PHX tarmac in July will be roasting. Why do you think HP has always painted their jets white?

Look at some of the theme planes in HP's fleet. The sun wreaks havox on those darker liveries.

flyboyaz

Wed May 18, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 39):
The mortuary livery that US currently has, while appropriate for a dying airline, needs to go after the merger. HP needs something bright and more lively.

I think US has one of the classiest color schemes going, but yes it will probably change if the merger happens.
Catch a ride on a smile!

LGA777

Wed May 18, 2005 4:56 am

I think a very likely name and image change would be called "Virgin America". Many may disagree with me on this and yes there are obstacle's but it would not surprise me at all. Many people believe that Richard Branson and the Virgin America product really want a piece of the U.S.A. market, but many believe including myself that the last thing the US market needs is another carrier. If Virgin America could enter the market but instead of being an extra carrier become an existing one that would also indirectly reduce by one the number of carriers in the US market, then there would be room for the Virgin America product in the US after all. And for those of you who have forgotten Virgin America's planned/ordered fleet is A-320 family aircraft !!!

Cheers

LGA777

srbmod

Wed May 18, 2005 6:03 am

They can always reach way back in the US Airways' history and call themselves All-American Airways.

Xkorpyoh

Wed May 18, 2005 7:44 am

General Jet

General Aviation

Oceanic he, he, he just kidding on that one. The infamous name used in airline disaster movies, including Lost.

Dyna Jet

WEO Where Economy Originates.

Phoenix World Airways: HP is big in Phoenix and US Airways always seems to stay alive by the skin of it's teeth.

You forgot: TRANSGLOBAL. hollywood also loves this name for disaster movies  

My suggestion: since the combined airline will need to fight heavely with VIRGIN AMERICA and because Las Vegas will be a major hub, what about: SLOT AMERICA, "ride we us, we are easy"   

[Edited 2005-05-18 00:57:24]

Planesmart

Wed May 18, 2005 7:57 am

Perhaps there is another merger or ownership change still to be added to this mix, so a name based on the 2 known participants may be an interim issue only.

DLKAPA

Wed May 18, 2005 7:57 am

Quoting Laxtwin (Reply 23):
Their ad campaigns could feature that. "What airline did you fly?" "Was your flight on time?" "What airline flies to Phoenix, Philadelphia and Frankurt?" They could all be answered with "Idunno." And their logo could be an airplane wearing a dunce cap.

Because the smart business traveller flying from Philly to Frankfurt to close a big business deal is going to want to come in on a dunce cap.

scorching summer sun and inside the cabins will be hotter than hedes!

...you do know that hades is a guy, right?

Dark paint absorbs light and heat.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

HPRamper

Wed May 18, 2005 8:08 am

Forget the temperature in the cabin, I feel sorry for the rampers unloading those bins in the middle of August.

Why not America West? It's not like European markets suddenly won't know who they are, this whole merger thing is huge news not only in the US but in other countries as well. Besides, who says an airline name has to make perfect sense? Look at Northwest...what's so northwest about them?

I see America West meaning something else to Europeans, they aren't thinking of the American West, but they all know that America is West of Europe. Seems actually pretty practical to me.

Byrdluvs747

Wed May 18, 2005 1:03 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 46):
Why not America West? It's not like European markets suddenly won't know who they are, this whole merger thing is huge news not only in the US but in other countries as well. Besides, who says an airline name has to make perfect sense? Look at Northwest...what's so northwest about them?

I see America West meaning something else to Europeans, they aren't thinking of the American West, but they all know that America is West of Europe. Seems actually pretty practical to me.

Forget trying to convince these people. They act as though the name US Airways and its awful livery were designed by jesus himself.

DLKAPA

Wed May 18, 2005 1:07 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 47):
Forget trying to convince these people. They act as though the name US Airways and its awful livery were designed by jesus himself.

Whoa dude no need to be condescending about it. Some people just like the darker subdued livery. I myself think it's mediocre, not crap, but not an animal on the tail.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

SonOfACaptain

Wed May 18, 2005 1:11 pm

For some one who constantly fly's US in TX during the summer, I don't really notice that much of a deference. It is not that bad. Unless you get some 737's whose air conditoners are going bad, than it is hot no matter what.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum