ben88

Trip Help. I've Got It Narrowed Down To 3 Options

Sat Apr 15, 2000 10:33 am

Ok we've decided that we want to fly non-stop. Please give me your honest opinions.(we are flying economy, can't afford business) Here are the 3 options. Listed from cheapest to most expensive:

1.) AOM LAX-ORY A340-200

2.) United LAX-CDG 777-200

3.) Air France LAX-CDG 777-200 or 747-400

We are so indecisive. I promise this will be the last post regarding our trip this summer. Thanks in advance,
Ben

Louis

RE: Trip Help. I've Got It Narrowed Down To 3 Options

Sat Apr 15, 2000 10:37 am

I've heard different things about UAL, but never anything bad about AF. Try AF. But then, it's your pocketbooks that will determine your final decision.

Sat Apr 15, 2000 5:27 pm

I've taken a UA 777 SFO-CDG. It isn't bad. You have a personal tv and food is good. The seats are ok, although I don't think all rows are equal. Some rows, particularly in the center section, are more cramped than others. So watch out. If you get a good row, the pitch (32") is decent.

I have no experience with either AOM or AF. But I don't imagine AF would be THAT much better than UA, so I guess you can determine whether the price differential is worth it.

You probably know this already but just to mention quickly...I hope you're using a good travel agent or a consolidator vs. booking direct with the airlines. The price differences can be extreme. I'm currently planning a trip to India and the differences between published fares and consolidator fares are approaching $1000. Anyway, sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. Hope you have a nice trip -- Paris is amazing.

avion

Sat Apr 15, 2000 5:50 pm

Take AOM. If you fly LAX-ORY you get enough mlieage for a free domestic flight. Go to http://www.qualiflyer.net to enroll in their programme.

The service on AOM is usually good and the 2-4-2 layout doesnt give you the feeling of being in a cattle car. If you fly later than August you also have a PTV.

Thanks

Avion

ben88

Sat Apr 15, 2000 6:20 pm

Yes i'm using a travel agent. The price difference between published fares and fares through the agent is approximately 200 dollars. For example, the published fare for Air France is $1100 and the travel agent can get it for $870. FYI, the price differential between AOM and Air France is less than a hundred bucks. (the AOM flight is $790) The question is, is Air France worth the extra 80 bucks per ticket?

ZRH

Sat Apr 15, 2000 8:50 pm

I recommend AOL. The service is quite good and the A-340 is not very cramped. Last but not least you get the best price.

avion

Sat Apr 15, 2000 9:18 pm

lol

Udo

Sat Apr 15, 2000 9:21 pm

I don't like AF very much as I bad experiences with an old B747-100 and their ground staff, but I know from different sources that AF's B777-200s are very well equipped, for example with a much better entertainment system than UA's B777s (more channels, games). AOM doesn't offer PTVs, so I would take AF and pay more.
But don't take AF's B744, they don't have PTVs.

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos