Los Angeles-Singapore Question

Sun Apr 16, 2000 12:18 am

Until the arrival of the A340-500 and the B777-200LR, the Los Angeles-Singapore route has to be flown with a stop. I believe Singapore Airlines currently operate this flight via Taipei. I have a few questions about this, which I was wondering if anyone could answer;

Is the Taipei stop just an en-route refuelling stop, or can Singapore Airlines carry Los Angeles-Taipei and Taipei-Singapore passengers on these flights?

These flights will obviously be "heavy" crewed, is there a crew change in Taipei, or can the existing crews continue due to there being supplementary pilots on board?

Also, related to the above question, what is the total journey time (ie flight time + transit stop) for LAX-SIN and SIN-LAX?

Also, where do other airlines flying from the USA to Singapore stop, Northwest go via Tokyo don't they - Is that flight a through stop or an aircraft change onto a "local" DC-10?

Cheers,
James

The777Man

RE: Los Angeles-Singapore Question

Sun Apr 16, 2000 2:53 am

Hi !!Singapore does have traffic rights on LAX-TPE sector as well as TPE-SIN. There is a crew change because the flight from LAX is very long to TPE, close to 15 hrs. NW flies a route from somewhere in the US with a thru plane service to SIN. UA flies a thru plane LAX-HKG-SIN and also SFO-NRT-SIN. SQ also flies a LAX-NRT-SIN as well as a SFO-HKG-SIN. I'm not sure about total elapsed time. I'll get back to that later. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777