BestWestern
Topic Author

BMI's Saudi Dreams Ending In Tatters.

Mon May 16, 2005 9:49 pm

BMI have 'unofficially' postponed (read cancelled) their Saudi Arabian flights till early 2006 it seems. Looks like they never asked the Saudi Arabian government if they could fly there, and are now stuck in the middle of a bureaucratic nightmare.

Well, Bishop seems to be blaming the Saudi government anyway! From a route announcement - all Bishop is saying these days is “We hope to start services to Riyadh later this year”. Considering they also have also announced plans to go daily Mumbai BOM at the same time something else doesnt add up.

Dont Bmi have project managers and regulatory advisors.... Cant they just do someting properly for change???

So, the question that begs asking is what they are going to do with the A330 that will sit on the ground three days a week in Heathrow for the rest of the year?? Wonder if the rumours of A330’s to KIR weren’t all wrong!  Wink
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

JGPH1A

RE: BMI's Saudi Dreams Ending In Tatters.

Mon May 16, 2005 10:47 pm

Oopsie - clearly the baksheesh ended up with the wrong Prince. Back to the drawing board  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

7LBAC111

Mon May 16, 2005 11:05 pm

I for one am shocked and saddened. How could BMI get this wrong. They NEVER get things wrong.....  banghead 

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

MYT332

Mon May 16, 2005 11:14 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Thread starter):
what they are going to do with the A330 that will sit on the ground three days a week in Heathrow

Or send it back to MAN for the IAD run and use the B752 for something else. Maybe start a new route to IOM. I wouldn't put it past them.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

col

Mon May 16, 2005 11:15 pm

As I have said before, no matter what they screw up it has stopped being a shock now!

cloud4000

Mon May 16, 2005 11:26 pm

Honestly, I don't think BMI's management is all that sharp. Their strategy seems scatter-brained. And now this?

What else are they not telling us?
Boston, USA

BestWestern
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2005 11:48 pm

They also dismissed the security as a 'BA issue' For once they are probably right- Terrorists wont recognise the BD aircraft - considering BD now have at least 7 logos.

1 BD old (still on RJ's)
2 BD interim (fleet wide)
3 BD New
4 BD new interim (752's)
5 Star old (A320's)
6 Star New (A321)
7 BD ATR carribbean (ATR)

They also slammed BA for overnighting their crew in Kuwait for safety reasons. Obviously terrorists only attack English people in Dark blue uniforms with red scarves, and not those in Dark Blue uniforms with blue scarves. Should remember that!
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

mhodgson

Mon May 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Whats happenening to the ATR now the LBA-LCY route has ended?
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

7LBAC111

Tue May 17, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 7):
Whats happenening to the ATR now the LBA-LCY route has ended?

It's due for the MAN-LAX route. Via GLA, WIC, KEF, YQX, EWR, ORD, DEN and LAS. Being refitted now in the BMI 3 class concept. 1F, 2J, 14Y.

7LBAC111

BestWestern
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2005 1:09 am

When did their LCY expansion plans come to a shuddering end?

col

Tue May 17, 2005 1:17 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 9):

Just about when it became a money maker I would guess, seems to be the norm for BMI!

Gofly

Tue May 17, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 6):

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 8):

rotfl 

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 9):

Would that be when their LCY-LBA service didn't turn out any decent loads? I can't really see why, they did no advertising, leased a 300 million year old prop aircraft (to fit nicely with their jet fleet) and just to make sure they didn't get anything wrong, they painted it in another scheme  Wink
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

EK156

Tue May 17, 2005 2:32 am

What airports do BMI serve in the gulf region? Do they serve Dubai?

B742

Tue May 17, 2005 2:42 am

EK156, currently Bmi only serve only US and Carrabean destionations and soon (or have started) Mumbai/Bombay!

Rob!

dutchjet

Tue May 17, 2005 3:08 am

Woops, we forgot to apply for authority?

You gotta be kidding me, its getting harder and harder to take BMI seriously.

donder10

Tue May 17, 2005 4:32 am

What airports do BMI serve in the gulf region? Do they serve Dubai?

None although I'm sure there has been much talk from them about starting flights to Dubai.

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 5:42 pm

Well I was out and about yesterday, if you were wondering why I didn't respond to a BMI thread.....

When the Saudi flights were first announced, it came about very quickly after BA's announcement that they were dropping them There were some noises about VS wanting the routes, and at the time I expressed some surprise in another thread that they got the licence so quickly from the authorities.

As the service was clearly going ahead, I naturally (like everyone else) assumed they must have got the go-ahead.

So now I ask the question how anyone can take the management of this airline seriously any more? How can an international airline annouce such a major route that they are unable to fly.

BMI are now left with a long haul network out of LHR of only one city without even operating daily flights. This is pretty ridiculous. I know there is the view that a lot of people here are merely armchair CEOs, but it is no coincedence that many of us who work in the industry are questioning BMI's strategy, or should I say strategies  Wink

I get the impression that BD were hoping for rather more from the India negotiations (even though they were the least likely to get a significant portion of what was on offer). Having got a less than daily frequency, they clearly jumped at the Saudi flights when they thought there was an opportunity there. The danger is that they could lose out to VS when the traffic rights are negotiated for next year.

There was another thread last week about BMI identifying a hit list of longhaul opportunities out of LHR. Hopefully for them they actually make the effort to get the neccessary authority to fly any of those routes before we have another repeat of this instance. Sadly for BMI, they are always likely to be third choice behind BA and VS in such negotiations, leaving them with a few crumbs every time and little that could be used to build up a significant intercontinental network.

Sad to say, a once good little airline, that still has a excellent product, is turning into a directionless shambles. A shame for the hard working people on the gorund and in the aircraft that the management is leading them nowhere.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

bapilot2b

Tue May 17, 2005 6:24 pm

Juat a quick reminder the ATR is no longer with BMI, thank god! Its moved on and is operating flights for somebody else with no bmi markings, only it still has the tropical scene on! Appeared at MAN on sunday with the callsign 'Hiway'. At least we can write of the ATR operating MAN-LAS  Wink
Jason Nicholls - v1images

BestWestern
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2005 6:40 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 16):
BMI are now left with a long haul network out of LHR of only one city without even operating daily flights.

That they sacrificed their Manchester long haul integrity for...

I wonder how radical BD will with their major announcement this week.

To be successful in the long term, they need to be as radical and ruthless as Aer Lingus on their short haul network, and as innovative as Virgin on their long haul network.

This includes re-merging WW and BD by absorbing BD shorthaul into the WW cost base, selling regional (to flybe?), and focusing on a proper long haul product.

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 6:51 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 18):
wonder how radical BD will with their major announcement this week.

Radical or Ridiculous ??  Wink

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 18):
To be successful in the long term, they need to be as radical and ruthless as Aer Lingus on their short haul network, and as innovative as Virgin on their long haul network.

This includes re-merging WW and BD by absorbing BD shorthaul into the WW cost base, selling regional (to flybe?), and focusing on a proper long haul product.

The key word you used being "focusing". this is BD's biggest problem at the moment. They have no focus whatsoever, and its no wonder they are in a mess. look at those airlines which are particularly successful and you can see that in much of the business they are focused on a particularly strategy, style, customer base or way of working. BD has none of that - it is trying to appeal to everybody and the result is that it is not appealing to anybody ANY MORE than other rivals are.

Hopefuly for their sake, their major announcement will make it clear that the iarline finally knows what it wants to be and how it clearly intends to get there. However I suspect not.....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

mozart

Tue May 17, 2005 7:10 pm

I would have a question to all those with some insight into customer behaviour in the UK market: who flies BD, and why? Do they tap into the valuable segments?

My hypothesis is that they don't have a base of regular high yield customers. Look at it this way:

- LHR-based pax: easier for them to go on BA, more choice of flights. BD can only compete on the AMS, BRU and domestic UK routes, to a lesser extent on the CDG route. But then, why should people choose BD, there aren't any better than BA. And for the CDG route, they cannot really compete with AF and BA as these two carriers carry a lot of online connex passengers. There may be the odd Star Alliance feed, but that's small in comparison to BA and AF. So the LHR market of loyal high yield travelers is pretty much gone.
- MAN-based pax: with the exception of those going to Chicago, again no reason or even possibility to fly BD. BD's network out of MAN is very small and only served with small planes (except the LHR route, but then see above), and there are more and better choices with other airlines. Its intercont network is quite a scattered affair: BD hasn't managed to leverage its success and good reputation on the MAN-USA routes, but keeps toying with downgrading its services to leased 757s and opening routes out of LHR. So the MAN market is not in BD's pockets either.
- Other routes: the other routes are either serving very small niche markets, that may be lucrative, but on a small scale (ABZ-NWI could be one, I don't know) - or they are just small and not lucrative. How can BD build a base of loyal high yield customers on routes like Edinburgh-Stornoway?

So, in sum, I have the hypothesis that almost in any market that BD tries to compete, pax have better choices. When BD is picked, it's because of lacking alternatives or it's by people who do the one odd trip once in a while and who - by the small number of their trips - aren't loyal to any airline at all. So how can such an airline be successful?

BestWestern
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2005 7:19 pm

Quoting Mozart (Reply 20):
So, in sum, I have the hypothesis that almost in any market that BD tries to compete, pax have better choices. When BD is picked, it's because of lacking alternatives or it's by people who do the one odd trip once in a while and who - by the small number of their trips - aren't loyal to any airline at all. So how can such an airline be successful?

Two things you forgot:
The lack of slots at Heathrow, and demand exceeding supply.

The BD loyalty card is excellent also - very easy to earn miles.

So how can such an airline be successful?

They arent successful - even with the second largest heathrow slot base, they still lose money.

Billy

Tue May 17, 2005 7:20 pm

This Saudi operation isn't dead yet.

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 7:26 pm

LHR-based pax: easier for them to go on BA, more choice of flights. BD can only compete on the AMS, BRU and domestic UK routes, to a lesser extent on the CDG route. But then, why should people choose BD, there aren't any better than BA. And for the CDG route, they cannot really compete with AF and BA as these two carriers carry a lot of online connex passengers. There may be the odd Star Alliance feed, but that's small in comparison to BA and AF. So the LHR market of loyal high yield travelers is pretty much gone.

BD used to have a very loyal business customer base out of the UK - and LHR in particular, based on a good product and a useful network of intra-European business destinations. Increasingly though tey have lost these customers as they have cut many of those destinations (in their own right) out of the network - Germany flights are all code-shares on LH for example. They also cut many of the frequencies on thse business routes (such as MAD for example) and have increasingly replaced these flights with leisure routes.

But LHR isn't really seen by the public as a short haul leisure airport for flights to Med resorts and cities. apparnetly these flights do well, but surely they can't make as much money as a good, focused, user-friendly business product out of the same airport.

So the business market in London has moved increasinlgy away from BD to BA and others as BD is in a large part no longer offering what they want or need.

They have an opprtunity at MAN, due to BA's weaker position, but they don't choose to exploit it, as they are hell-bent on becoming a long haul carrier out of LHR. But LHR already has BA and VS offering that - what could BD offer that they can't.

And worried about low cost travel from the regions, they produced BMI baby to counter this - but of course it was always going to have higher costs than easy and Ryanair, so it is unable to compte with them effectively and has been driven out of markets such as LGW.

Put simply, BD doesn't know what its customer base is at present- so it doesn't know what it needs to do to serve them best and retain them, while attracting new passengers.

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 7:28 pm

Quoting Billy (Reply 22):
This Saudi operation isn't dead yet.

Nope, but they've still got to figure out what to do with the A330 three days a week. Its a bit late to come up with a new route in the meantime and expect passengers to book it - certainly they'll have missed the summer peak now.

Also there's no guarantee they'll get Saudi rights - what if VS nip in and beat them to it, by offering a daily frequency for example.

Leskova

Tue May 17, 2005 7:31 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 23):
Germany flights are all code-shares on LH for example

If it hasn't changed within the last day or two, the flights to HAJ are still operated by BMI with LH codesharing on them.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 7:37 pm

Quoting Leskova (Reply 25):
If it hasn't changed within the last day or two, the flights to HAJ are still operated by BMI with LH codesharing on them.

Oh is HAJ still a BMI flight ? I thought they'd all gone over to LH some time back - certainly the likes of FRA and CGN did.

monkeyboi

Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm

If I remember rightly it was the same when they received their first A330's a few years back. They didn't know what to do with them.

BMI only began long haul services from MAN by default. Initially it ordered its A330's as it was almost certain the Bermuda II agreement would be cancelled (the US/UK governments were holding 'high level talks' at the time) and it would be given the authority to operate LHR to the US. It wanted to show it meant business so placed orders for the long-haul aircraft.

Well, the talks between the UK-US governments came to nothing and BMI was left with 4 long haul configured A330's. 1 was leased out to SK for a time, then to SA. When it was returned it sat at MAN week in week out for months not doing anything (expect losing money). The other two were put into service on MAN - IAD/ORD which was the 'back-up' plan had LHR not happened.

Seems not a lot has changed at bmi!

BestWestern
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2005 7:49 pm

Quoting Leskova (Reply 25):

HAJ is operated by BD on behalf of Lufthansa from terminal 2. It is not a BD flight - it has also lost a daily frequency.

NASBWI

Tue May 17, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting Gofly (Reply 11):
leased a 300 million year old prop aircraft

Umm, you're joking right? It can't cost much more than 7 million to purchase a used ATR, much less lease it. After all, new ones sell for around 12-15 million, correct?
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

7LBAC111

Tue May 17, 2005 8:48 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 28):
HAJ is operated by BD on behalf of Lufthansa from terminal 2. It is not a BD flight - it has also lost a daily frequency.

Actually not!
BD815/816/819/820 are operated by BD mainline from T1. At least according to Sabre that is.

7LBAC111

Billy

Tue May 17, 2005 8:59 pm

This Riyadh rumour appears to have no corroboration from any other source. Perhaps we could have a link? I hear to the contrary.

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 9:02 pm

Quoting Billy (Reply 31):
This Riyadh rumour appears to have no corroboration from any other source. Perhaps we could have a link? I hear to the contrary.

If you go onto the BMI website and try and book Ryiadh, you'll find it in the drop down menu. however whatever date you put in it tells you that the flight is unavailable. The new menus it then puts up to rebook won't allow you to select Riyadh - very strange.

7LBAC111

Tue May 17, 2005 9:04 pm

I hear to the contrary.

If you want to go doubting a highly respected member of this forum, have the sense of mind to provide a source to where you hear to the contrary.

Pot and kettle methinks.

7LBAC111

Billy

Tue May 17, 2005 9:12 pm

7LBAC111,

Whereas my sources are real people in BMI, BestWestern's source appears to be a press report. If we had a link then we could come to our own conclusions. It is dangerous to permit others to digest press releases for us.

As you should know, naming people sources is not on in such forums. However, my contacts do not share the concerns that appear to have been vented above.

JGPH1A

Tue May 17, 2005 9:12 pm

BD have published schedules for BD775 operating Tu, Th, Su LHR-RUH starting 01SEP05. The flight is available for sale (at least in Amadeus).
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

BestWestern
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2005 9:18 pm

This Riyadh rumour appears to have no corroboration from any other source

Try the BD CEO and Deputy CEO. As of last week, they dont even have a potential launch date, nor are they sure they will actually fly the route anymore. I cant provide you a link to this, as it comes from a news feed service that you need a password to... I am quoting only a tiny bit from the document.

Michael Bishop said: “Our plan for these services continues. As soon as we’ve resolved a number of issues which we’ve raised with the Saudi Arabian authorities we will get a launch date for these services.”

BMI deputy CEO Tim Bye says: “[The start of services] probably won’t be until after the summer. If we are going to do it, it will come before year-end.”

"If we are going to do it" is a long way from "This will be followed shortly afterwards with the launch of a three times weekly service from London Heathrow to Riyadh. "

Source: ATI

I hear to the contrary.

Care to share what you have heard?

Billy

Tue May 17, 2005 9:28 pm

Best Western - short answer is 'no'. But it is as good as on. You cannot give a start date if you have not got the approvals. MB is merely being prudent. He cannot bounce the Saudis into a decision. But he has applied for rights.

Believe me - the Saudis want BMI in too. Again, my (non-BMI) sources in Jeddah confirm this.

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 9:29 pm

Still its not all bad news for BMI - they do have one prestige new international destination still going ahead. courtesy of BMI baby they are of course gonig to be flying from Birmingham and Teeside to Newquay International Airport  Smile

Shouldn't have too many problems with the England/Cornwall bilaterals for that one.....

Great news for us Cornish folks  Wink

7LBAC111

Tue May 17, 2005 9:39 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 35):
BD have published schedules for BD775 operating Tu, Th, Su LHR-RUH starting 01SEP05. The flight is available for sale (at least in Amadeus).

And in Sabre.

However I refer to this:

“We hope to start services to Riyadh later this year”. Considering they also have also announced plans to go daily Mumbai BOM at the same time something else doesnt add up.

Where are they obtaining the aircraft? How do they propose to suceed to RUH if not daily, and still go daily to BOM in a few months time??

Quoting Billy (Reply 34):
Whereas my sources are real people in BMI, BestWestern's source appears to be a press report.

No offence intended, but are you sources BD project manager's or board members? Or are they ticket desk agents and cabin crew? The reliability of such sources can often be queried.

7LBAC111

[Edited 2005-05-17 14:41:44]

col

Tue May 17, 2005 9:40 pm

Cornish,

Has Cornwall lifted the visa requirements for people North of Bristol?

7LBAC111

Tue May 17, 2005 9:44 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 36):
I hear to the contrary.

Care to share what you have heard?

Quoting Billy (Reply 37):
Best Western - short answer is 'no'. But it is as good as on.

How can you dispute something without providing some form of evidence or proof to the contrary. Jeez!

Billy

Tue May 17, 2005 9:46 pm

7LBAC,

I can assure you that my contacts are only concerned with the commerical and legal side of such issues. I have learned the difference between a check-in clerk's view of the world and those that make the route happen.

I read these boards out of professional interest (I am in the business) but I really get ticked off when supposition is unchallenged and becomes spotter truth. The fury that this rumour has unleashed (mostly from non-passengers) is astonishing.

I only contribute what I feel will happen (do a search) or provid a commerical aviation viewpoint. Not what I pick up off the terraces.

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 9:48 pm

Quoting Col (Reply 40):
Cornish,

Has Cornwall lifted the visa requirements for people North of Bristol?

Yes, we've widened the programme to allow more people from the UK to enter Cornwall without requiring visas.

Scots of course still have to queue up at the Cornish Consulate in Edinburgh in order to be issued one before we'll let them in  Wink

col

Tue May 17, 2005 9:52 pm

Cornish,

I thought the Scottish restriction was lifted upon payment of the litre of Glenfiddich to customs inspector on arrival. Similar to the Lagos system?

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 9:53 pm

Quoting Col (Reply 44):
Cornish,

I thought the Scottish restriction was lifted upon payment of the litre of Glenfiddich to customs inspector on arrival. Similar to the Lagos system?

Oh yes - but that's all unofficial of course  Wink

LO231

Tue May 17, 2005 9:53 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 30):
Actually not!
BD815/816/819/820 are operated by BD mainline from T1. At least according to Sabre that is.

Also according to Galileo:

23MAY 23MAY 1...... LHR HAJ 0640 0910 BD 815 319
21MAY .....6. LHR HAJ 0640 0910 BD 815 ER4
20MAY 123456. LHR HAJ 0640 0910 BD 815 320
24MAY 12345.. LHR HAJ 0640 0910 BD 815 320
02JUN 12345.7 LHR HAJ 1715 1945 BD 819 319
31MAY 01JUN .23.... LHR HAJ 1715 1945 BD 819 320
30MAY 12345.7 LHR HAJ 1715 1945 BD 819 319
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

BestWestern
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2005 9:59 pm

Anyway - back to my very first question...

So, the question that begs asking is what they are going to do with the A330 that will sit on the ground three days a week in Heathrow

So, if September is the launch date... and the 330 sits on the ground for three days a week for four months, BD long haul profitability goes out the window.... Doubly - especially since they have damp leased a 757 to cover a summer daily heathrow 330 operation. DUH! Perhaps VCE or ALC will go A330 for the summer three days a week?

monkeyboi

Tue May 17, 2005 10:18 pm

knowing bmi they will look for some obscure charter work for it.

cornish

Tue May 17, 2005 10:25 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 47):
So, if September is the launch date... and the 330 sits on the ground for three days a week for four months, BD long haul profitability goes out the window.... Doubly - especially since they have damp leased a 757 to cover a summer daily heathrow 330 operation. DUH! Perhaps VCE or ALC will go A330 for the summer three days a week?

LHR-NQY ??  Wink