hamad

Exit Row On United Airlines

Tue May 17, 2005 8:40 am

A lot of airlines within the United states on domestic flights allow the passengers to assign exit row seats upon check in online including continental. my question is, does United do this or do they still require you to do that at the airport?
PHX - i miss spotting

Capt.Fantastic

RE: Exit Row On United Airlines

Tue May 17, 2005 9:00 am

From my own experience on ual.com, exit rows are not available online. I believe on some aircraft these rows are classified economy plus

roseflyer

Tue May 17, 2005 9:32 am

Exit rows can be reserved ahead of time if you are a premier/premier exec./1K/Global Service member. Usually they will let you book these online. Exit rows on almost all UA planes are in the economy plus section, which means that non premium members cannot book these seats in advance. I have in the past booked exit row seats while talking with a UA agent over the phone, but sometimes they do have to go through a process to release them. I am sure someone working with UA can offer a better answer though.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

AADC10

Tue May 17, 2005 9:39 am

I do not believe that UA (or almost any other U.S. airline) will book exit row seats online because FAA requirements for passengers sitting in that row. [Must be over 18 years, read English and capable of opening the emergency door] Usually they are assigned at check-in or at the gate so that the passenger can be verified as able to sit in that row.

LON-CHI

Tue May 17, 2005 9:53 am

If you are a premier exec or above, you can book exit rows online with United.

Cubsrule

Tue May 17, 2005 10:02 am

DL and NW at least book exit row seats online. I think TZ does too, but it's been a while.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

bravo7e7

Tue May 17, 2005 10:04 am

Quoting LON-CHI (Reply 4):
If you are a premier exec or above, you can book exit rows online with United.

Exactly right.

daron4000

Tue May 17, 2005 11:28 am

I thought it was 15, not 18 to sit in the exit row?

rwsea

Tue May 17, 2005 1:36 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 3):
I do not believe that UA (or almost any other U.S. airline) will book exit row seats online because FAA requirements for passengers sitting in that row. [Must be over 18 years, read English and capable of opening the emergency door] Usually they are assigned at check-in or at the gate so that the passenger can be verified as able to sit in that row.

DL and US allow pax to choose exit rows online. In fact, US allows non-elites to choose exit rows, and DL lets non-elites choose some of the exit row seats.

UAalltheway

Tue May 17, 2005 1:45 pm

I believe you must do it at the airport so they can make sure you are "fit" enough to fit the requirements for exit row pax.

deltairlines

Tue May 17, 2005 1:55 pm

I've always booked exit rows online on Delta...never had to wait until arriving at the airport...I can do it online...

Jeff

expressjetphx

Tue May 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 3):

The minimum age to sit in an exit row is actually 15, but I've had mixed results with reserving exit seats before checkin. I've done it on Delta before, but a few weeks ago I was flying CHA-CLT-PHX, and I called the res. center because when I selected the exit seat on the seatmap, it didn't change my seats. They told me that they could only assign exit seats upon checkin to make sure the passenger is fit to perform the exit operations in case of emergency. About a year ago I flew PHX-LAX-GUA-SJO and back, with the LAX-GUA-SJO segment on a UA 752. We got the exit row by luck (our travel agent hadn't made seat assignments), and it happened to be the very last row in Economy Plus, so if you're flying a UA 752 I would definently recommend that row if you can get it.

While we're on the topic, I just booked a PHX-LHR flight, does anyone know if BA lets you reserve exit seats ahead of time?

Speedbird2155

Tue May 17, 2005 3:46 pm

Quoting Expressjetphx (Reply 11):
While we're on the topic, I just booked a PHX-LHR flight, does anyone know if BA lets you reserve exit seats ahead of time?

No, you can't do this until check-in....generally at check-in, they will either call and have it assigned or comment the preference if it isn't being allocated at check-in, so that when you go to board, then any changes are notified.