jamesvf84

What To Do With A Noisy Passenger?

Tue May 17, 2005 5:45 pm

Here is my question:

What can you do with a passenger that disturbs you throughout your trip?

Scene:

I was on a trip back from DXB to ZRH flying Swiss, I had an Y class ticket. The plane was full so I and about 5 more other passengers were lucky enough to be upgraded ( I have Travelclub Sliver status).

Now the flight departed 02:00 DXB time and I had already seen the movies on the way day, not to mention that I was very pleased with the upgrade as I was really quite tired! The passenger next to me did not stop snoring the whole flight! When I mean snore I mean a really snore, you could hear him in the galley! It wasn't as if he was breathing heavily, I tried the ear plugs but I have never been able to get them properly to fit in my ears (maybe an ear defect on my behalf  Smile ). Also I got up a few times (I had a window seat) and purposely brushed past him to try and get him to move....he was sleeping like a rock!

I could not change seats as there were none. I felt like kicking him and God help him should he have asked if I slept well during the flight upon our arrival!  gnasher 

What would you have done, I mean I hear many stories from my F/A friends on how the most complaints they get from passengers are from upgraded pax, I simply did not want to bolster the ranks of those pax!

Xkorpyoh

RE: What To Do With A Noisy Passenger?

Tue May 17, 2005 9:48 pm

NOISE CANCELLING HEADSEATS

wunala

Tue May 17, 2005 9:56 pm

Quoting Xkorpyoh (Reply 1):
NOISE CANCELLING HEADSEATS

Yip, I agree, they are the best thing that you can have on a long haul flight. Does Swiss not supply them for J class?

jamesvf84

Tue May 17, 2005 10:28 pm

Well they did on the MD-11s in First but there didn't seem to be this option on the A330s, I do hope that they change the seats to the new ones like on the A340s!

ltbewr

Tue May 17, 2005 10:59 pm

Unfortuntly snoring is something many people do when sleeping. For some, snoring can be a sign of sleeping problems (sleep apnena, etc). For many it is due to flaws in the mouth and is usually harmless except to the others are in earshot of them. Noise cancelling earphones, or foam earplugs probably are the best route for you to use in the future.

flyingnanook

Wed May 18, 2005 6:09 am

This may sound rude, but if he was truly deeply asleep, you could always tilt his head to another angle. It probably wouldn't wake him and this usually will stop snoring. My family is a group of loud, window-rattling snorers (my mom likely has sleep apnea) and this always works on them.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

AA767400

Wed May 18, 2005 6:21 am

Well you can just do what most other people do, Blame the Flight Attendants for the noisy passenger. It seems to work well for most people.
"The low fares airline."

EA CO AS

Wed May 18, 2005 6:31 am

Just deliver an open-palm chop to the throat. That'll shut him up.  Wink
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PipoA380

Wed May 18, 2005 6:55 am

Quoting Jamesvf84:
What would you have done?

Open emergency door.
Throw overweight
Close door
Take a sleeping pill.

And you're already home! Big grin
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

richm

Wed May 18, 2005 7:08 am

"Accidently" spill coke all over him and then offer him a can of Red Bull as a way of apologizing.

[Edited 2005-05-18 00:08:42]

NWOrientDC10

Wed May 18, 2005 7:26 am

Quoting Jamesvf84 (Thread starter):
What would you have done, I mean I hear many stories from my F/A friends on how the most complaints they get from passengers are from upgraded pax, I simply did not want to bolster the ranks of those pax!

This is understandable, however, politely stating the situation to a f/a would probably not cause them to have a negative opinion of you. Your complaint was legitimate.

Quoting Jamesvf84 (Thread starter):
I could not change seats as there were none.

This may sound sneaky and deceptive but maybe a f/a could've asked someone in coach if they wanted a first class seat.

Sorry about your ruined flight  Sad

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

FA4UA

Wed May 18, 2005 8:51 am

My preferred recipe: Ear plugs, noise reduction headsets over ear plugs, and two pills of Tylenol PM. Works everytime! If the guy can still overpower this then listening to relaxing music over the noise reduction headsets will better cancel him out.

Telling the FA's won't do anything. Frequently on long-haul flights, passengers complain to me about smelly neighbors, loud neighbors, screaming babies and generally there's nothing I can do except hear their complaint and empathize. If the cabin is full, the cabin is full.

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

ACDC8

Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am

Quoting FA4UA (Reply 11):
My preferred recipe: Ear plugs, noise reduction headsets over ear plugs, and two pills of Tylenol PM.

The ear plugs and pills are a really good idea, if they don't work for you like they're supposed to, then you can always stick them up his nose!  Silly
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

FriendlySkies

Wed May 18, 2005 9:02 am

Open door.
Kick passenger of interest in rear quarters.
Return to seat.

September11

Wed May 18, 2005 9:07 am

noisy passenger ... very difficult situation to handle ... I would just get up and walk around the plane from time to time
Airliners.net of the Future

jamesvf84

Wed May 18, 2005 4:36 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 7):
Just deliver an open-palm chop to the throat

Trust me I thought of that and then some!!!!!  Smile

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 10):
Sorry about your ruined flight

Thanks but I suppose these things happen, I did get upgraded but I was awfully tired when I got off the plane!

Thanks to all for your feedback, I shall have a few possibilities to choose from next time!

Chrisjdurber

Thu May 19, 2005 12:38 am

Had this experience myself, so accidentally fell str8 onto the bloke on the way back from the loos, (i hasten to add this was after 6 hours continual snoring, farting and belching, nose picking, scratching (him not me!!)) The bloke should have been in the hold!! Anyway fell on top of him the FA laughed as it was pretty blatent. He woke up, after 15mins when he started to doze off again I asked If i could borrow his sick bag as mine had been used as I though I was going to hurl!!
Worked! He was wide awake and very nervous for the last 3 hours!!

He He!