ETStar
Topic Author

The Queen Does Not Fly Her Country's Airline?

Wed May 18, 2005 3:44 pm

Ok, if you are not aware, the Queen of England is on a visit to Canada. But am amazed at the fact that she did not fly on an UK airline's aircraft, nor an RAF aircraft. Instead, she flew on a Canadian Forces A310! Does she not have her own aircraft? Or, where is BA in this situation?

DLKAPA

RE: The Queen Does Not Fly Her Country's Airline?

Wed May 18, 2005 3:45 pm

Quoting ETStar (Thread starter):
Or, where is BA in this situation?

I believe her aircraft is sitting in museums never to fly again.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

TriStar500

Wed May 18, 2005 3:49 pm

AFAIK, there has been quite a wide range of transportation choices for the Queen's travels in recent years. On longer routes, she usually flies with BA (either 767's and 777's have been used in recent years to my knowledge), while on shorter routes, the RAF's Royal Flight still offers a few other choices, e.g. the BAe-146 and maybe even the good ol'e HS-748 (correct me if I am wrong). Contrary to some people's belief, the Concorde has not been the primary aircraft of coice for the Queen's overseas voyages.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

777ER
Crew

Wed May 18, 2005 3:49 pm

The royal family use BAE 146s for short haul and commercial airlines (some times BA and other times other airlines) for the other flights. She has flowen on RNZAF aircraft before, Prince Charles used an RNZAF B752 to fly to New Zealand from Australia, around New Zealand and to fly to Fiji from AKL. If the airline is the national carrier or an Air Force Aircraft of a commenwealth country then she and the rest of the gang will use them also

[Edited 2005-05-18 09:00:51]
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

atmx2000

Wed May 18, 2005 3:55 pm

Instead, she flew on a Canadian Forces A310! Does she not have her own aircraft?

You do realize that she is the head of state in Canada, that she is the "Queen of Canada," and that Canadian military personel take an oath of allegiance to her as the embodiment of Canadian sovereignty. BA or RAF aircraft would not be appropriate as this is not a state visit on behalf of Britain.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

JGPH1A

Wed May 18, 2005 3:58 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 2):
maybe even the good ol'e HS-748

Those weren't actually HS748's, they were Andovers, which was a military adaptation of the old Budgie, with a rear ramp for loading Land-Rovers. The Royal Flight Andovers were retired yonks ago, when the BAe146's (are the called K1's by the RAF, something like that anyway) entered service.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

TriStar500

Wed May 18, 2005 4:04 pm

Please forgive my anecdotal memory, but didn't Charles manage to drive one of the Royal Flight BAe-146's into the bushes upon landing a couple of years ago? Big grin
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

ETStar
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2005 4:06 pm

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 4):

You do realize that she is the head of state in Canada, that she is the "Queen of Canada," and that Canadian military personel take an oath of allegiance to her as the embodiment of Canadian sovereignty. BA or RAF aircraft would not be appropriate as this is not a state visit on behalf of Britain.

True... but it's not her country. Did she ALWAYS fly into Canada on an RAF aircraft? If so, then ok.

JGPH1A

Wed May 18, 2005 4:09 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 6):
didn't Charles manage to drive one of the Royal Flight BAe-146's into the bushes upon landing a couple of years ago?

I think it was at Inverness (poss. Aberdeen) - somewhere in the land of the Picts anyway, I think he went off the end of the runway. Oops !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

atco2b

Wed May 18, 2005 4:10 pm

I remember seeing the Queen fly to Rome on a BA A319 a few years back! Of course, it had been chartered  Smile
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

BCAL

Wed May 18, 2005 5:30 pm

As far as I am aware The Queen's air travel is dictated first by the security aspects and then by economics (unlike that golfing son of hers who uses the most expensive form on every trip - private and public).

The Queen's flight has a fleet of BAe146, which are used principally for short-haul trips for members of the Royal Family and certain VIPs. The Queen's flight is flown and maintained by an elite part of the RAF. If it is cheaper to charter a BA A319 (or any similar aircraft) than fly the BAe146s and crew (not to mention accommodating the crew at the destination and parking the plane for the duration of the trip), then the charter aircraft would be used

When The Queen is on state visits, it is normally the host country that pays for her travel and it would therefore be cheaper for them to use their own presidential aircraft, passenger-configured military aircraft or even their flag carrier.

[Edited 2005-05-18 10:32:44]
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Beany

Wed May 18, 2005 5:37 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):
I think it was at Inverness (poss. Aberdeen) - somewhere in the land of the Picts anyway, I think he went off the end of the runway. Oops !

It was on one of the Scottish Islands, I believe you are right in saying he overran. He doesn't fly anymore  Smile

wunala

Wed May 18, 2005 5:42 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 10):
When The Queen is on state visits, it is normally the host country that pays for her travel and it would therefore be cheaper for them to use their own presidential aircraft, passenger-configured military aircraft or even their flag carrier.

BCAL you beat me to it, this is what I believe too.

ACDC8

Wed May 18, 2005 5:48 pm

She landed in Regina of all places, Good Lord!
Here's a question though. When she flies to Canada, does she have to fill out a declaration card? If yes, what would she write down for "What is the reason of your visit? Business, Pleasure or Study."?  scratchchin 
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Joost

Wed May 18, 2005 5:49 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 13):
bowling alley, tennis courts at 40,000 ft

Sounds like the A380  Wink

RedDragon

Wed May 18, 2005 6:52 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 10):

Is this a diplomatic convention that applies to most/all countries, or just Commonwealth or other countries that are receiving the Queen?

Rich

[Edited 2005-05-18 11:53:35]

mariner

Wed May 18, 2005 7:11 pm

Quoting RedDragon (Reply 17):
Is this a diplomatic convention that applies to most/all countries, or just Commonwealth or other countries that are receiving the Queen?

I can't think of any similar protocol. The Queen is not going to Canada in her role as the British Head of State, or as a representative of the people of Britain, she is going as the Canadian Head of State, the representative of the Canadian people - she's making a visit with her own.

I can't think of another Head of State for whom this would be true.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

BA380

Wed May 18, 2005 7:11 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 14):
Here's a question though. When she flies to Canada, does she have to fill out a declaration card? If yes, what would she write down for "What is the reason of your visit? Business, Pleasure or Study."?

no -- she doesn't even have a passport. It would have to be an amended one anyway, as all the blurb states that 'Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty etc blah etc blah'. It would be funny if it said 'My Secretary of State requests and requires in my name....' it would sound as if she was a boxer, gievn that those guys always seem to talk about themselves in the third person "Right now Lennox Lewis is thinking about Lennox Lewis"...
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

AirNZ

Wed May 18, 2005 7:37 pm

Or, where is BA in this situation?

It should be noted that British Airways is a privatised company and thus, (irrespective of what some might like to believe) are not the NATIONAL airline of the United Kingdom.
By applying the same 'logic', does the President of the US fly United, AA, Delta or US Air? No, he doesn't!
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

lazyshaun

Wed May 18, 2005 7:48 pm

I saw that A310 the other day, but didn't realise that it was canadas airforce.
Wow!

-lazyshaun-
I came. I saw. I conquered

ZKSUJ

Wed May 18, 2005 8:01 pm

She flew on an NZ 744 when she came for a meeting here a few years back.

BA380

Wed May 18, 2005 8:15 pm

Quoting ETStar (Reply 7):
True... but it's not her country

actually, she is Queen of Canada: when she took the Coronation Oath, Elizabeth II swore "to govern the Peoples of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Union of South Africa, Pakistan, and Ceylon, and of [her] Possessions and the other Territories to any of them belonging or pertaining, according to their respective laws and customs".

In Canada, the Queen's official title is Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

PM

Wed May 18, 2005 8:25 pm

the Queen of England is on a visit to Canada. But am amazed at the fact that she did not fly on an UK airline's aircraft, nor an RAF aircraft. Instead, she flew on a Canadian Forces A310!

Aaaaargh! I've tried not to get into this since the very existence of a royal family makes my hackles rise (and yes, I am entitled to my opinion since I am British) but can we at least stop calling her the Queen of England. The last 'English' monarch was Richard III who died in 1485. He was followed by dynasties that were Welsh, Scottish and German. Elizabeth is no more (or less) the Queen of England than she is the Queen of Wales - or even Canada!

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 4):

Thank you, atmx2000. You appear to be better informed that some of Liz's subjects north of the border.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 10):
The Queen's flight has a fleet of BAe146, which are used principally for short-haul trips for members of the Royal Family and certain VIPs. The Queen's flight is flown and maintained by an elite part of the RAF.

"A fleet"? Two, as far as I remember. And "elite"? They're a bunch of pilots. It's hardly the Red Arrows.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
Those weren't actually HS748's, they were Andovers, which was a military adaptation of the old Budgie, with a rear ramp for loading Land-Rovers.

They're long gone anyway but I don't believe they had the rear ramp. The Andovers that were used tactically certainly did but the Royal Flight planes (even if they were called Andover CC1s or whatever) were really just HS748s.

fbgdavidson

Wed May 18, 2005 8:53 pm

The Queen doesn't always use BA. Back in the late 80s early 90s there was a tour of the US where a BA Concorde was refitted for the occassion.

The first commercial flight the Queen took was NZ001 and the First cabin was kept backa nd refitted for her and close aides while Business was used for accompanying staff such as journal keepers and so on. I only mention journal keepers because a friend of the family is one of them!

A cookie to anyone who can remember the name the Queen traveled under. Hint: It was nothing to do with Windsor/Saxe-Coburg etc etc
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

solnabo

Wed May 18, 2005 8:55 pm

When QE II visited NZ she boarded NZ B744 from LHR some years ago IIRC. She and her "followers" (dont remember the french word) had the upper deck in private.

Wish I could fly like that!

Micke//SE Big grin
Airbus SAS - Love them both

spyderz

Wed May 18, 2005 9:13 pm

Well whenever members of the royal family fly to Canada they are usually fly in the Canadian Forces 310 that the queen flew in. This is usually the case and of course Canadians end up picking the price tag.

masseybrown

Wed May 18, 2005 10:39 pm

How does she travel to her horse farm in Kentucky as a private citizen? I believe those trips are very low-key.

shamrock350

Wed May 18, 2005 10:43 pm

I see her BAe-146s almost every day at RAF Northholt. I once watched Airport on BBC1 and she was flying on a BA A319.

JGPH1A

Wed May 18, 2005 10:50 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 23):
I only mention journal keepers because a friend of the family is one of them!

"Dear Diary,

Today We opened something, and waved at a lot of people. Our hat was lovely, but Our subjects are very noisy, and many of them smell.

Had a meeting with That Awful Man Blair - in Grandpapa's day they'd have set the dawgs on him. O tempora o mores.

Weight 12st 2
Cigarettes: 3 (had to bum off Anne)
Alcohol: 12 units (worse than Margaret !)
Hats: 9,743 "

Big grin

iakobos

Wed May 18, 2005 10:56 pm

Quoting BA380 (Reply 21):
In Canada, the Queen's official title is Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith

to make some Picts happy they could have added "sheperdess of the flock" and "guardian of the barrels"

RayChuang

Wed May 18, 2005 11:19 pm

I think when the Queen goes on many long-distance tours she could fly a BA 777-200ER that can be configured for the needs of such travel. The 777-200ER's range (7,100 nautical miles) is enough that the majority of the world can be flown to non-stop from a British airport.

wunala

Wed May 18, 2005 11:38 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 23):
A cookie to anyone who can remember the name the Queen traveled under. Hint: It was nothing to do with Windsor/Saxe-Coburg etc etc

Give up, even Google failed me, what is it?

bhxforever

Thu May 19, 2005 12:28 am

Fbg,

Someones been watching old episodes of airport Wink

RedDragon

Thu May 19, 2005 12:42 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 28):
"Weight 12st 2
Hats: 9,743"

That's a hell of a lot of hats for one day... d'you think she wore them concurrently, in some kind of leaning tower of Windsor? Big grin

AussieItaliano

Thu May 19, 2005 12:48 am

Quoting BA380 (Reply 21):
Defender of the Faith

I can't believe that they still use this title for the British Monarch. That's just so wrong!
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

JGPH1A

Thu May 19, 2005 12:52 am

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 34):
I can't believe that they still use this title for the British Monarch. That's just so wrong!

That's why they do it ! To rub it in. The title was awarded by Pope Leo the Something to Henry VIII for his robust editorials denouncing Luther and all his works (this is true). It is a title awarded to a person and his heirs and descendants, and has been used by the reigning monarch in England ever since.

P.S. it was only recently that they stopped using the title King of France as well, owing to an outstanding claim dating back to Plantagent days.

BCAL

Thu May 19, 2005 1:09 am

Quoting PM (Reply 22):
"A fleet"? Two, as far as I remember. And "elite"? They're a bunch of pilots. It's hardly the Red Arrows

The definition of a fleet is a number of buses, aircraft, etc. under the control of one person or organization. Two is a number and therefore two aircraft would be a fleet but perhaps better described as a pair.

I agree that the pilots assigned to the Queen's Fleet are hardly the Red Arrows but it would nevertheless be a privileged position and therefore considered 'elite' for any British Patriot.

Interestingly, when PM Blair went on holiday to Egypt recently two BAe146s of the Queen's Fleet were assigned to transport him and his family and aides. The UK Government decided that rather than have the BAe146s fly back to the UK and then return to Egypt to collect Bliar when his holiday was over, the aircraft and crew remained at SSH. The crew was accommodated in a luxury hotel for several days. There was a stink in the British press about the costs involved and the waste of taxpayers' money. On his previous visit to SSH, Blair flew a Thomas Cook Charter flight, the front rows being reserved for his exclusive use. The other passengers were not pleased that Blair was on their plane!
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

KLMA330

Thu May 19, 2005 1:33 am

I have the outmost respect for our Queen.. yes, I am Canadian, and do consider her Our Queen. She gave up her life for the Monarchy, and watched the Empire disolve in the process. She's done great things with the Commonwealth, and continues to do so.. it can't be easy for a 79 year old woman to open the British parliament (you're all aware of the pomp and circumstance involving this, not to mention wearing that extremely heavy crown!) travel to Regina, be jet lagged, yet immediately engage in Royal affairs, and continue on a pretty tiring tour of 9 days.. Regardless of the rest of the Royal family, ERII has lived her life in dignity, and not a single soul on this planet can bad mouth her for anything. She's done her country proud, and has established a netword of co-operation amongst the Commonwealth Nations. God Save the Queen  Smile

AussieItaliano

Thu May 19, 2005 1:44 am

KLMA330,

I completely agree with you. I have a great deal of respect for the Monarchy, but I do view it as a slap in the face to us Catholics when the British Monarch still uses the title "Defender of the Faith" which was given to Henry VIII by Pope Leo X, who Henry VIII later rebelled against. If someone wants to be Protestant, by all means, they have that right, but to claim a title given by a Pope when you no longer accept his authority is a bit hypocritical. That being said, however, God Save the Queen.
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

KLMA330

Thu May 19, 2005 1:47 am

AussiItaliano

I can see your point in this. I always thought she used the title as leader of the Anglican church, but wasn't aware of the background you brought up. Thank you for enlightening me. I for one am not religious, so it matters little, but I appreciate your comments regarding the Queen.

Have a great day,
Billy.

cayman

Thu May 19, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 37):
I have the outmost respect for our Queen.. yes, I am Canadian, and do consider her Our Queen. She gave up her life for the Monarchy, and watched the Empire disolve in the process. She's done great things with the Commonwealth, and continues to do so.. it can't be easy for a 79 year old woman to open the British parliament (you're all aware of the pomp and circumstance involving this, not to mention wearing that extremely heavy crown!) travel to Regina, be jet lagged, yet immediately engage in Royal affairs, and continue on a pretty tiring tour of 9 days.. Regardless of the rest of the Royal family, ERII has lived her life in dignity, and not a single soul on this planet can bad mouth her for anything. She's done her country proud, and has established a netword of co-operation amongst the Commonwealth Nations. God Save the Queen

You are entitled to have respect for her personally, as I do. Now as a figurehead in the canadian system with which she clearly has absolutely nothing to do with is anachronistic in the extreme. The monrachy has absolutely nothing to do with modern canada--should have been abolished decades ago and that might have avoided at least some of the tensions in Quebec.

The fact is Quebec thinks of the monarchy as a major slap in the face and a symbol of the disconnect with the rest of canada---while the vast vast majority of canadians outside Quebec no doubt respect her personally but could care less about the monarchy as a system and when asked agree it's outdated and completely out of touch with canada--precious few would object to its abolition. The problem is that in canada you cannot open constitutional issues without opening a pandora's box of legitimate constitutional issues---not fictional ones like the monarchy.

Now as to the issue at hand---namely HMQ traveling to canada on the CFA310 Polaris---well good for her. I get so sick of Canadians (for avoidance of doubt I am am born citizen of the fair dominion!) being so small minded about the use of govt aircraft. I for one can't stand Paul Martin but when last Xmas he was criticized for using a Canadian Forces aircraft for an extended personal visit to Morroco--that's just an embrassingly small minded Canadian view (I would hope limited to an extremely small minority of such small minded people)--would these same Canadians expect the PM of the country to fly commercially via 2 or 3 different legs of a flight. Security long ago dictated that the canadian PM would fly govt aircraft wherever he went--that is a reaosnable and prudent thing to do and to politicize the issue is ridiculous--whether it is Mulroney or Chretien or Martin or whoever--leave them be on that issue.

And of course the Queen who rightly or wrongly is a figurehead monarch in Canada should arrive on the best a/c the forces can fly her in.

USAFHummer

Thu May 19, 2005 1:51 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 28):
Weight 12st 2
Hats: 9,743 "

The Queen is a smoker?

Quoting AirNZ (Reply 18):
does the President of the US fly United

He has in the past!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

JGPH1A

Thu May 19, 2005 1:52 am

Quoting CayMan (Reply 40):
Security long ago dictated that the canadian PM would fly govt aircraft wherever he went--that is a reaosnable and prudent thing to do and to politicize the issue is ridiculous

Why ? Most people outside Canada wouldn't recognise the Canadian PM if he fell in their lunch. I think he could have travelled to Morocco via PAR, and nobody would have been any the wiser.

DOC

Thu May 19, 2005 1:57 am

As you know, when the queen is invited to a country, like now the Canada, the country hote is responsible to go and pick her up, at the end of her visit, I'll bet she will fly back with BA

sacflyer

Thu May 19, 2005 2:01 am

Quoting Beany (Reply 11):
I believe you are right in saying he overran. He doesn't fly anymore

I find that hard to believe, have you seen his ears?
I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

KLMA330

Thu May 19, 2005 2:11 am

The fact is Quebec thinks of the monarchy as a major slap in the face and a symbol of the disconnect with the rest of canada---

I know I'm going to get blasted for this, and keep in mind both my best friends are from Quebec, and as I tell them when this issue arises, the French had ample chance to keep their own, however, they lost all the wars to the British!  Wink

fbgdavidson

Thu May 19, 2005 2:12 am

Quoting Bhxforever (Reply 32):
Someones been watching old episodes of airport

Coupled with a good memory...

She flew under the name Mrs J Muir
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

HeyMach

Thu May 19, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 10):

Not quite - it is matter of protocol. In this case the Queen is traveling as the Head of State of Canada and therefore her transportation is the responsibility of the Canadian government. Hence Canadian Forces A310. The other example sited in this thread is that of the Queen's travels to New Zealand on an Air New Zealand 747. Again, in this case the Queen was traveling in her capacity as Head of State of New Zealand and therefore her transportation was the responsibility of the New Zealand government. The NZ government found that it was more economical to charter out the front section of an Air New Zealand commercial flight rather than sending one of their own aircraft. Similarly, where the Queen is on a State visit as the Head of State of the UK, the UK government would be responsible the air transportation costs.

CXYYZ

Thu May 19, 2005 3:14 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Armed Forces' A310s were acquired from CP to help them out during one of their many tough times, were they not? Also, as I recall, the Queen's first visit to Canada was aboard the royal yacht. Granted times have changed and aviation has advanced considerably, but it seems that Her Majesty hasn't always travelled at the expense of the host country.

I'm glad to see the Queen visiting Canada again. It's good that her trip wasn't cancelled because of the politics in Ottawa.

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 45):
I know I'm going to get blasted for this, and keep in mind both my best friends are from Quebec, and as I tell them when this issue arises, the French had ample chance to keep their own, however, they lost all the wars to the British!

Exactly. The British won the war, the French could have left then but they chose not to. It's time for them to stop complaining  Silly

dl021

Thu May 19, 2005 3:16 am

I love it when we discuss the Queen and her subjects get all riled up about it!

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 1):
I believe her aircraft is sitting in museums never to fly again.

Nah, read below.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 10):

She is not making a state visit on behalf of the UK. She is visiting her realm of Canada. In that regard she is a Canadian citizen and Head of State, and it is completely appropriate for her to be transported (bad connotations there, sorry) to Canada on a military aircraft. Security wise it's the easiest thing to do.

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 38):
the British Monarch still uses the title "Defender of the Faith"

Is she not the Head of the Anglican Church, therefore the Defender of the Faith for them?

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 39):
I always thought she used the title as leader of the Anglican church

Me too.

The fact is Quebec thinks of the monarchy as a major slap in the face and a symbol of the disconnect with the rest of canada-

I think that the Quebecois would take any opportunity to loudly proclaim their perceived martyrdom and insults, and that the monarchy is simply another excuse to whine.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos