SeaMeFly

Award Tickets...who's Paying Who?

Thu May 19, 2005 9:58 am

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it from the search engine.

Just a question that has been bugging me. When someone is cashing his/her miles to fly on other carrier (i.e.. Cashing UA miles to fly SQ/TG). Does that mean UA is paying the other carrier for the award seat it gives to the FFM members?

If that was the case, does it mean that UA is paying full-fare for the particular seats? Or do they have agreement that they don't have to pay as much? Partial may be?

ramerinianair

RE: Award Tickets...who's Paying Who?

Thu May 19, 2005 10:09 am

I am not 100% sure but I think there is an agreement having to do with selling the points to UA. If there is availability, then UA buys the points from SQ/TG or whoever to have that seat. Eventually they are going to need to buy the UA points back for one of their passengers.
It has to be more complex too, they have the codesharing thing too. So if it is a UA flight number but a SG flight, what happens.
I can tell you however, that UA definately does not pay a full fare for a FF passenger ticket on a partner airline.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!