dl021

Delta Q&A: How Do They Move Ship 41 To Old Hangar?

Fri May 20, 2005 5:08 am

Subject line says it all. I saw the fence on the Tech Ops section which opens up wide enough to allow movement, but I can't figure out how they get it off the main field.

I was lucky enough to ride on this airplane a year or so ago, but we flew out of Charlie Brown so I didn't get to witness the transfer.

Anyone that knows I'd appreciate it. Just curious.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

OttoPylit

RE: Delta Q&A: How Do They Move Ship 41 To Old Hangar?

Fri May 20, 2005 5:19 am

Over by the old hangar, there is a large fence end that opens up, and you can just taxi it right off the airport property and over to the hangar. Or tow it, whichever you prefer. I saw it land not long ago and later saw it taxiing off over by the FBO there. Once you open the fence, there is nothing blocking you from taxiing across the street and up to the hangar.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

dl021

Fri May 20, 2005 5:26 am

OttoPylit

Ok... I saw how they get it into the Tech Ops/old Hangar 1 area, but are you saying that they take it right out of the Mercury Air Center?

I did not see where there was enough room to taxi the thing across.

I remember the old days when the hangar was actually in use...we got a tour there when I was a kid and my mother worked for AF and knew all the folks at DL in ATL.

Thanks for the info.

DL021
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

OttoPylit

Fri May 20, 2005 9:51 am

I'm not sure EXACTLY where it is taxied, but it is over on that side. But I'm sure that it is taxied out of Hangar 1, right across the stree, and onto the airfield, as there is a fence or gate that swings open to allow the size through. And I'm sure the police block off the road for the few minutes that it takes to get her across. I wish I had more exact info to give you. You can always ask the guys at Mercury, as I'm sure they see it happen every time.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.