squirrel83

HP & US Air New Route MAP Combined ~

Fri May 20, 2005 11:45 am

Here is a combined route map prvioded by US Airways and America West
Veiwable options
http://www.americawest.com/aboutawa/companyprofile/usair/us_routemap.htm

PDF File
http://www.americawest.com/aboutawa/companyprofile/usair/combo_map.pdf

Kewl HP now can operate INTL flights once again BRING BACK THE HP 747 . . Below are Intl Destionations . . Previously ran by US

•Paris, France
•Frankfurt, Germany
•Munich, Germany
•Dublin, Ireland
•Shannon, Ireland
•Rome, Italy
•Venice., Italy
•Amsterdam, Netherlands
•Glascow, Scotland
•Barcelona, Spain
•Madrid, Spain
•London, UK
•Manchester, UK

They have also published Airline Comparison Table here
http://www.americawest.com/aboutawa/companyprofile/usair/us_comparison.htm

Company Profiles
http://www.americawest.com/aboutawa/companyprofile/usair/co_profile.pdf

[Edited 2005-05-20 04:55:48]

[Edited 2005-05-20 05:00:24]
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

planespotting

RE: HP & US Air New Route MAP Combined ~

Fri May 20, 2005 12:04 pm

wow i was just looking at these airlines old routemaps. thanks for the link!
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Cubsrule

Fri May 20, 2005 12:13 pm

Bring back the 747s? Let's bring back the CMH hub while we're at it...
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MAH4546

Fri May 20, 2005 12:28 pm

Quoting Squirrel83 (Thread starter):

Kewl HP now can operate INTL flights once again BRING BACK THE HP 747 . . Below are Intl Destionations . . Previously ran by US

America West has been operating international flights for quite a while. They fly to Canada, Costa Rica, and Mexico.

And even though it is America West taking over US Airways, don't forget, the airline will be called US Airways. The America West name and the HP code will be history.

So the "cool" thing will be seeing a US Airways Express jet in Billings, Montana...who'd of ever thunk.
a.

MaverickM11

Fri May 20, 2005 12:53 pm

Just as I expected; a lot in the West, a lot in the East, and nothin' in the center!
E pur si muove -Galileo

bartond

Fri May 20, 2005 1:13 pm

I wonder if (when the company becomes US Airways) they'll keep the BA codeshare/partnership in PHX? I guess they would.

squirrel83

Fri May 20, 2005 1:19 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 3):
America West has been operating international flights for quite a while. They fly to Canada, Costa Rica, and Mexico.

I guess I needed to state European Destinations . . . Sorry.

So the "cool" thing will be seeing a US Airways Express jet in Billings, Montana...who'd of ever thunk.

yeah there is a true fact, same with GEG.
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

Capt.Fantastic

Fri May 20, 2005 1:22 pm

What a mess.

That route map will be streamlined so quick.

Indy

Fri May 20, 2005 1:23 pm

Wow. I had to zoom to 400% so everything on the east coast wasn't a big black blob  Smile
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

DLKAPA

Fri May 20, 2005 1:24 pm

same with DRO. Although I wonder if it'll be YV equipment or someone else?

fillerfiller
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Trvlr

Fri May 20, 2005 1:35 pm

Quoting Bartond (Reply 5):

That's a very good question. However, I'm not sure they're going to continue the BA codeshare. I'm sure they'd like to, but the merged airline will probably have to make a choice between British Airways and Star. Of course, HP/US have already stated their intention to stay in Star, so in my opinion, I think the codeshare will soon be history.

This begs the question--without the codeshare, will BA stay in PHX?

Aaron G.

Ryanair!!!

Fri May 20, 2005 2:37 pm

It is all over the news that US Airways and HP will merge to form the first nationwide "low-cost" carrier. How will this affect the premium services of the former airline? I wonder how do their loyal frequent flyers feel about this?
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

seven3seven

Fri May 20, 2005 3:23 pm

Hopefully these two pathetic carriers will make one big pathetic carrier and go under.

Then we can start healing the US airline industry instead of propping up failing airlines with more and more financing.
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

SHUPirate1

Fri May 20, 2005 3:32 pm

I wonder if (when the company becomes US Airways) they'll keep the BA codeshare/partnership in PHX? I guess they would.

As I mentioned in another thread, US Airways already has a mileage agreement with Qantas, which is, like British Airways, in oneworld. Forget about alliance differences forcing the combined carrier to drop those deals.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

lightsaber
Crew

Fri May 20, 2005 3:43 pm

For the first time since the failed PSA merger, US will be an entire "US airline."  Smile

Quoting Seven3Seven (Reply 12):
Hopefully these two pathetic carriers will make one big pathetic carrier and go under.

Oh, you're not going to make friends with that comment... However, I still want to know how this merger will make the US part of US + HP profitable...

And the new routemap needs to be made interactive yesterday...  Smile

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):
Just as I expected; a lot in the West, a lot in the East, and nothin' in the center!

Since more of the growth in air travel is at the coasts... this will position HP + US well. Although, I do hope to see the midwest recover quick.

Am I the only one who thinks four hubs might be diluting it a bit too much? Just my two cents.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

flick70

Fri May 20, 2005 4:15 pm

Well, living in OMA, this whole merger deal doesn't do much for me at all. I guess I am stuck with AA and NW still.  Smile
/// Braniff - We Get You There In Flying Colors /// (until Putnam got ahold of us)

supa7E7

Fri May 20, 2005 4:32 pm

This all points to aircraft repainting / reconfuguration on a massive scale for the new "US Airways." Pretty exciting.

Since a very quick merging of US and HP frequent flier programs has been announced, HP will indeed be a Star Alliance carrier (de facto) during the transition period of around 1 year (my guess).

Also, US ended its Qantas agreement years ago.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

SHUPirate1

Fri May 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Quoting Supa7e7 (Reply 16):
Also, US ended its Qantas agreement years ago.

You might want to inform the webmasters of both websites and the authors of Attache magazine. Both US Airways sources still list Qantas as a partner, and Qantas lists US Airways as a partner as well.

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/partners/airline

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...mingmiles/partnerawards/qantas.htm

[Edited 2005-05-20 11:59:00]
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

JrMafia90

Fri May 20, 2005 7:35 pm

This is great news for US. I think they are going to do a lot better now. And maybe they will get more intl. cities.

supa7E7

Fri May 20, 2005 9:07 pm

SHUP, cool! I had no idea about that bizzare relationship. Hats off to you. That said, your comment about a BA-US deal is a leap of conjecture. Possibly might happen, but not real likely IMO.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

peppes1980

Fri May 20, 2005 10:16 pm

So what will happen with Star alliance now?

Will the new airline be a member of Star Alliance?

ti717

Fri May 20, 2005 10:50 pm

"In addition to the operating synergies created by the merger, the new relationship with Air Canada provides for even greater operating improvements. The merged airline and Air Canada plan to work together to create value for each other through maintenance contracts, airport handling agreements and the eventual expansion of the Star Alliance agreement, which could include codesharing with Air Canada, consistent with the U.S.-Canada bilateral aviation agreement. "

From Press Release.
Sir, don't you think we should turn on the runway lights?" "No, that's just what there expecting us to do!"

BigOrange

Fri May 20, 2005 10:54 pm

Quoting Peppes1980 (Reply 20):
So what will happen with Star alliance now?

Will the new airline be a member of Star Alliance?

The airline is still going to be called US Airways, and as such is already a member of Star Alliance

Anyone any ideas on if we'll see a new colour scheme? I think the current HP colour scheme will look good, with the US flag replacing the cactus!
I'm useless with photoshop, so can anyone can come up with something for all to see?

DAYflyer

Sat May 21, 2005 1:29 am

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (Reply 7):
What a mess.

My exact thoughts. Can you immagine a trip from Kalispell, Montana to Oil City PA? Your routing would be like through Pheonix, then PIT then to Oil City.

What a mess is right.
One Nation Under God

stirling

Sat May 21, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting Squirrel83 (Thread starter):

•Paris, France
•Frankfurt, Germany
•Munich, Germany
•Dublin, Ireland
•Shannon, Ireland
•Rome, Italy
•Venice., Italy
•Amsterdam, Netherlands
•Glascow, Scotland

Where is Glascow?
(Squirrel-Not dumping on you...it was misspelled on the Map from HP/US!)
Arrrgggh!
Delete this User

vivavegas

Sat May 21, 2005 1:48 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 23):
My exact thoughts. Can you immagine a trip from Kalispell, Montana to Oil City PA? Your routing would be like through Pheonix, then PIT then to Oil City.

Kind of like my AA runs to EYW, just one of those many cites "you can't get there from here!".

AA
MKE-STL-MIA-EYW
-or-
MKE-ORD-MIA-EYW

US Airways
MKE-PIT-TPA-EYW
-or-
MKE-CLT-FLL-EYW

Delta (if the limited number of seats are available):
MKE-ATL-EYW  crowded 

Get used to it boys, it's only gonna get worse when Delta and Northwest hookup (sooner than you think  dollarsign   dollarsign   dollarsign .
MKE / EYW / LAS - The true trifecta of aviation!

Kahala777

Sat May 21, 2005 2:19 am

they'll keep the BA codeshare/partnership in PHX?

Perhaps - However, it would probably be a bit more strict. American Airlines is surely not a very camper right now. The combined networks of US/HP are starting to make AA look empty in several key U.S. markets!

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (Reply 7):
That route map will be streamlined so quick

Meaning?

Quoting Indy (Reply 8):
I had to zoom to 400% so everything on the east coast wasn't a big black blob

That Big Black Blob, is music to the ears of both airlines and their frequent fliers. The combined airline is leaps and bounds above the sully little network of Jet Blue, Frontier, Spirit, Aloha, USA 3000, Midwest, and yes even the Greyhound known as Southwest Airlines.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 11):
How will this affect the premium services of the former airline?

Premium Service - Offered on Long Haul International, and Long Haul Trans Continental services. You also need to take into factor that American, United, Delta, Continental, and Northwest do not offer much in regards to Premium products on U.S. markets, with the exception of LAX-SFO to JFK. Of which only UA/AA are the big boys!

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 11):
I wonder how do their loyal frequent flyers feel about this?

They are more than happy. The advent of America West to the US Airways system will add tons of seats to reward destinations such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, Seattle, Vancouver, Acapulco, Los Cabos, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and Anchorage.

Quoting Seven3Seven (Reply 12):
propping up failing airlines

Like United Airlines, Midwest, ATA, Aloha, and Delta.

Quoting Flick70 (Reply 15):
living in OMA,

Sounds like a personal problem!

Quoting Vivavegas (Reply 25):
just one of those many cites "you can't get there from here!".

Like Southwest Airlines and their:

SMF-SAN-PHX-MSY-MCO
SEA-OAK-SNA-LAS-BUF
RNO-LAS-SLC-MDW-BDL
MHT-MDW-STL-PHX-LAX

Key West (EYW), is not a big market. It lives in the shadow and the might that is and always will be Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. You seem to have forgotten that both America West and US Airways offer a wealth of service to the South Florida market!

Regards - Kahala777

redngold

Sat May 21, 2005 5:44 am

I sorta wonder if now, since the route map is awfully dense in the Northeast and Appalachia, whether the new USAirways will drop some of the EAS routes... thus opening the Northeast and Appalachia to air service by Continental, Northwest and the likes.

redngold
Up, up and away!

positiverate

Sat May 21, 2005 6:16 am

This is like two drowning people in the ocean, hanging onto each other to survive. US Air couldn't make their route map work, what makes everyone think America West can?

aa777jr

Sat May 21, 2005 6:22 am

Forgive me in advance.  Sad

What is the fate of the two carriers liverys? Combination or will they go with all US livery. Any plains for expanding their international routes and purchasing some B787? Thanks much.

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

airways6max

Sat May 21, 2005 6:28 am

It is clear that this will mean that US is now a bi-coastal airline, with a lot of emphasis on both the east and west coasts. I think that they still need to provide more service throughout middle America.

expressjetphx

Sat May 21, 2005 6:32 am

Quoting Trvlr (Reply 10):
That's a very good question. However, I'm not sure they're going to continue the BA codeshare. I'm sure they'd like to, but the merged airline will probably have to make a choice between British Airways and Star. Of course, HP/US have already stated their intention to stay in Star, so in my opinion, I think the codeshare will soon be history.

This begs the question--without the codeshare, will BA stay in PHX?

Aaron G.

I expect, unfortunately, that they will pull out. If the new US continues with Star, they might just bring LH back into the PHX market, and the BA traffic would drop so low from competition and loss of the codeshare they would probably have to pull out, although I would prefer that both they and LH stayed here.

EnviroTO

Sat May 21, 2005 6:53 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 23):

Does a different airline do it better?

I can see Sioux Falls, Omaha, Des Moines, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Austin, and San Antonio getting easterly service post merger. I can't see cities west of there getting eastern hub service that don't have it already because those routes would be far too long and narrow.

I am interested in seeing what happens to PIT in all this. If PIT had more O&D traffic the hub would be great in that it is centrally positioned in the northeast making it great for northeast to midwest connections. PHL is a great O&D + Europe hub but isn't that great for convenient northeast to west connections. Charlotte is in a great position for the north to south connections on the east coast but is fairly far south and east reducing its east to west connection potential. Too bad Pittsburgh isn't the size of Phila since it is a good location in relationship to the other cities in the midwest and northeast. The facilities are fairly functional as a hub airport as well. If US Airways really is a lost cost carrier now and will have prices to match, and if Allegheny County can get real with the airport rents and fees, maybe PIT can make a comeback.

Okie

Sat May 21, 2005 7:51 am

Quoting EnviroTO (Reply 32):
I can see Sioux Falls, Omaha, Des Moines, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Austin, and San Antonio getting easterly service post merger. I can't see cities west of there getting eastern hub service that don't have it already because those routes would be far too long and narrow.

It would be sure nice to see some east coast service out of OKC without going through ORD or DFW however, my experience is that the local citizens of the area are either slow or leary to warm up to new service.

Last week while at the airport some cogger was looking for the Braniff ticket counter.

Okie

AGC525

Sat May 21, 2005 8:42 am

Living in PIT, I hope it makes a comeback. I excited to hear US and HP merged. PIT is such an awesome airport, and the region needs the business.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

egnr

Sat May 21, 2005 8:43 am

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 29):
Any plains for expanding their international routes and purchasing some B787?

From the press release on the America West website:

"$250 million will come from Airbus in the form of a loan. The companies have also agreed that the merged company will be the launch customer for the Airbus A350, with deliveries scheduled from 2011 to 2013."

and...

"US Airways projects returning 25 additional aircraft by the end of 2006, in addition to the 46 aircraft that US Airways already has announced it plans to return. Nearly all of the aircraft are being returned to General Electric Capital Aviation Services (GECAS). The combined airline also will take delivery of 13 Airbus A320 family aircraft previously ordered by America West Airlines. Airbus has also agreed to reschedule and reconfirm 30 narrow body A320-family aircraft deliveries from 2006 - 2008 to 2009 - 2010. To rationalize international flying, the merged company will work with Airbus to transition to an all-Airbus international fleet of A330 aircraft and, beginning in 2011, A350 aircraft."

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 29):
What is the fate of the two carriers liverys?

In another thread on this site, I have read that it will be the US Airways livery that is adopted for the new airline.
7late7, A3latey, Sukhoi Superlate... what's going on?

Noise

Sat May 21, 2005 11:59 am

WOW US has such an extensive route network in the east!

I wonder if they plan to create a Midwest hub? Or...it does some that US has some presence in MCI. Why is that? There are quite a few trans-Kansas routes that US currently operates. With their small base at MCI, can they develop it into the much-needed Midwestern hub?

stirling

Sat May 21, 2005 1:26 pm

Quoting Noise (Reply 36):
I wonder if they plan to create a Midwest hub? Or...it does some that US has some presence in MCI. Why is that? There are quite a few trans-Kansas routes that US currently operates. With their small base at MCI, can they develop it into the much-needed Midwestern hub?

I think there might be a "curse" hanging over MCI. The facilities might have something to do with it...from what I've heard..as I have no personal experience (or bias) with the place.

Considering the amount of aircraft getting parked in this merger, I can't imagine a new hub being developed, or route expansion happening....if anything, a rationalization and streamlining is the first thing we are apt to see.
Delete this User

lincoln

Sat May 21, 2005 3:33 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):
Just as I expected; a lot in the West, a lot in the East, and nothin' in the center

Am I the only one who's been thinking "Gee, this sounds like PSA All over again"?

As far as I can tell, it's generally agreed that the "Barbell Route Map" with a heavy East coast and heavy West coast presence but practically nothing inbetween is what ultimately doomed the routes formerly operated by PSA.

"Now our Smile is even wider..."

I'm just wondering which carriers cities will ultimately survive and/or how quickly they can eliminate the gap in the middle.

The only thing that gives the skeptic in me slight pause for hope is that with HP as the surviving corp. entity (even if with the US name) things may be different on this try...

Lincoln
[Yes, I'm from San Diego, and I have a skewed image of PSA, even though they were gone very shortly before my first flight]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

AirframeAS

Sat May 21, 2005 5:31 pm

And even though it is America West taking over US Airways, don't forget, the airline will be called US Airways. The America West name and the HP code will be history.

The Arizona Republic reported today that the HP name and brand is here to stay, the US brand will be removed. The company will continue to operate out of Tempe, AZ. That is a very surprising move by CEO Parker. As we all know, Parker has taken big risks before, he knows what hes doing. So why not give him a chance.

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 22):
The airline is still going to be called US Airways, and as such is already a member of Star Alliance

They are actually changing everyTHING...as reported in the Arizona Republic....

[Edited 2005-05-21 10:42:05]
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

EnviroTO

Sat May 21, 2005 8:21 pm

MCI couldn't function as a hub unless all the existing terminals are completely replaced. Before 9/11 you needed to exit the secure area and pass through security again to change gates. Basically the secured areas of the boarding lounge for each gate are not interconnected. MCI was probably a great airport when security wasn't on anyone's mind since it is a quick walk (maybe 30 steps or less) from the curb to the gate. Nowadays the terminal buildings simply do not have enough floor area to be easily renovated into a workable solution... they are too thin from curb to gate to fit a floor plan more typical of todays airports. I'm not sure if anything has changed since 9/11 at MCI.

The only way to keep the existing terminals and use them as a hub would be to widen them out on the airside to create floor space but I'm not sure how much real estate they have to play with between the terminal and the taxiways or runways... probably not enough.

ERJ170

Sat May 21, 2005 8:37 pm

Why does everyone think that an airline need a central US hub? They really don't. I think the new US will do fine with their 3 hubs.. they are all located in high density areas.. and can offer flights to the midwest. They should just stay as they are. Enough said.
Aiming High and going far..

flyboyaz

Sat May 21, 2005 10:42 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 39):
The Arizona Republic reported today that the HP name and brand is here to stay, the US brand will be removed. The company will continue to operate out of Tempe, AZ.

I dont' know where they are getting that information. It was made clear to us by Parker that we would change our name.
Catch a ride on a smile!

flyboyaz

Sat May 21, 2005 10:51 pm

There's an article today on AZ Central that states we will be operating as US, so obviously that other write had no idea what they were talking about...that's pretty typical
Catch a ride on a smile!