jetpixx

MCO Spotting: 'Use Of Facilities' Permit?

Sat May 21, 2005 12:20 pm

On the Orlando Airport website, there is a section under the FAQ area concerning spotting. There is a 'use of facilities' permit to spot - and it sounds like it opens you up to spotting on the ninth floor of the parking garage?

Has anyone used this 'permit' and is that a good place to spot from using a simple digital camera?

Also, is the area along McCoy Road closed or can you park under the flight paths again?

INTENSS

RE: MCO Spotting: 'Use Of Facilities' Permit?

Sat May 21, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting Jetpixx (Thread starter):
On the Orlando Airport website, there is a section under the FAQ area concerning spotting. There is a 'use of facilities' permit to spot - and it sounds like it opens you up to spotting on the ninth floor of the parking garage?

Yes. Correct.

Has anyone used this 'permit' and is that a good place to spot from using a simple digital camera?

You're going to need some zoom from this location.... AT LEAST 300mm. More if you actually want some action shots.

Also, is the area along McCoy Road closed or can you park under the flight paths again?

It's closed....you will be hunted down and thrown out of there in a second. Orlando is a horrible place to spot at....unless you get lucky in between Ops/airport police/county deputy shifts.

I highly recommend TPA which is just about an hour and a half west on I-4. Excellent places to photograph from.

-Rich

jetpixx

Sun May 22, 2005 2:49 am

Thank you INTENSS - I think a trip to TPA is definitely in order one of these days. For my personal site, I have not had the opportunity to visit TPA for shots just yet and it sounds very spotter friendly. I've gotten several photos from MCO, but it sounds increasingly difficult. Do you know anything about SFB? I'd like to get a shot or two now that Allegiant is serving that airport.

I have FLL and MIA within 45 min, so I am lucky in that respect....

DAN

DLX737200

Sun May 22, 2005 3:12 am

Dan, I am an active spotter at MCO and let me tell you, the 9th floor is horrible! I shot 640 effective mm and I can just barely get climb out shots from 35L.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Idle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

So with a Point and Shoot Camera, I wouldn't even waste my time there.

Some of my other spots:

Judge Rd, the next road north of Frontage Rd (the old spotting location now blocked off):

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

A little higher wing and you need about 200-250mm at most but its better than nothing, I guess.

There are a few other odd spots but they kinda are unsafe from Cops/Airport Authority. MCO is an extremely unfriendly airport but it's not impossible.

As for SFB, it was really friendly until recently when I was kicked out from there. There is a parking lot on the far west side of the airport for landing on 9L. That's about all there is there. I sat there for 4 hours before I got kicked out. You can give it a shot. The international traffic is great but few and far between. Good luck! From that spot at 9L:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

As mentioned earlier, TPA is more friendly but I have had a friend bothered there once and I've been questioned a few times myself. It's still friendlier than MCO but not perfect. Some of my shots from TPA:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

If you have any more questions about MCO or SFB, email me at justinidle@earthlink.net

If you have any questions about TPA, please email the king at TPA, my personal friend who showed me everything at TPA, Ozell Stephens. His username on here is 727Lover.

miamix707

Sun May 22, 2005 5:39 am

Quoting INTENSS (Reply 1):
unless you get lucky in between Ops/airport police/county deputy shifts.

When are these shifts??  Wink

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 2):
Do you know anything about SFB? I'd like to get a shot or two now that Allegiant is serving that airport.

Since you mention Allegiant, wheren't they supposed to start coming to SFB this month? I dont think they've started yet.

So why would you wanna go to MCO or TPA???

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 3):
I sat there for 4 hours before I got kicked out. You can give it a shot.

Who kicked you out? There was some flight instructor who tried to kick me out last year, I talked to him and explained there isn't anything wrong with what I was doing, and we both share the love for planes etc. He was cool after that and left. However I doubt cops would be anywhere as "understanding".

Btw I was on the other side of the warehouse shooting that Monarch A300 that same day.. (hehehe) I didn't hang out there, just got my shot and left, eventually someone will try to kick you out if you stay too long.

NASCARAirforce

Sun May 22, 2005 5:45 am

What about Frontage Road between Semoran and Conway? There are always guys selling Cuban Sandwiches there out of trucks. I figure if they can park there, I can park there. If any cop questions me, I will tell him I am buying a Cuban sandwich.

DLX737200

Sun May 22, 2005 5:55 am

Nascar, if you read the previous posts, Frontage Rd has been blocked off with fencing and the vendors have been kicked out since December 2002.

-Justin

NASCARAirforce

Sun May 22, 2005 10:11 am

The vendors were there last year when i still lived there. I moved to Orlando in 2003. I am talking about the corner of Conway and Frontage. There was always a truck selling Cuban sandwiches on the corner. It wasn't directly under the approach, but 18R approaches would be close.

727LOVER

Sun May 22, 2005 10:27 am

Is Conway where 7-11 is? Nothing hardly lands on 18R.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 4):

UMM....excuse me, Maybe he wants to experience something different, dude.
Love Trumps Hate

727LOVER

Sun May 22, 2005 10:30 am

It's still friendlier than MCO but not perfect.

Gosh darn close!!!  Silly
Love Trumps Hate

NASCARAirforce

Mon May 23, 2005 3:41 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 8):
Is Conway where 7-11 is? Nothing hardly lands on 18R.

There is a Citgo/7-11 on the corner of Conway and McCoy Extension I believe.

Most arrivals are on 18L, but occassionally they arrive on 18R. If you have a good camera, you could probably pick up the 18L approaches too since the runways aren't that far apart.

A place I tried once where I didn't get problems was along Cargo Road east in that parking lot at the approach to 17R. You have to get back far enough however so the trees don't get in the way. Is there any decent place for approaches to 17L? I never really got a chance to check since 17L opened right before I moved out of Orlando.

INTENSS

Mon May 23, 2005 8:40 pm

Do you know anything about SFB? I'd like to get a shot or two now that Allegiant is serving that airport.

I worked the ramp at SFB for about a year. Best traffic is on Thurs-Fri-Sat from about now through August. Best times are from noon to 4pm for arrivals. The UK charters will start departing as early as 3pm with the Travel City 747's hanging around until 9pm or later (common thing due to their MX problems). The east side by the Delta Connection Academy seems to be the best area for arrivals from the east.

The airport authority is a pain to work with. I worked there, had a valid ramp badge - and when I tried to "get permission" to photograph they said no. I brought the point & shoot with me to work and got what I wanted anyhow - but mostly on slow days when the airport authority wasn't out giving us a hard time.

However, if you're just some passenger you can take pictures from the observation "deck" overlooking gates 1-2-3. Explain that. Anyway, hope that helps.

-Rich

[Edited 2005-05-23 13:41:02]

FutureFO

Tue May 24, 2005 3:34 am

SFB is not that great considering Seminole County Sherrif's patrol quite regularly thru there and have been to chase and ticket people off property.

TPA is the best for friendly Ops people.

MCO If you want to do gorrilla shooting its great. Otherwise you will be reported by a crew taxiing around the field. As some of us heard on our scanners. Those Song crews, they have issues. I wouldn't bother with MCO unless you know the hiding spots to get some good pics. I have a few hidden areas that you can get to and avoid being reported.

Also Frontage the cops really love to move people along quite rapidly.

Sean from MCO and MKE
I Don't know where I am anymore

727LOVER

Tue May 24, 2005 7:25 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 12):
I have a few hidden areas that you can get to and avoid being reported.

Don't say it on here, those bastards at GOAA moniter A.net so I've heard. BASTARDS!

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 12):
TPA is the best for friendly Ops people.

I would have agreed with you before April 1. That day I had a run-in with a cop who accused me of trying to ram the fence with my car!!!!!!
Love Trumps Hate

MxCtrlr

Tue May 24, 2005 12:31 pm

Some of the parking lots for offices just north of MCO (off Hazeltine National DR, TPC Dr, etc) offer some pretty good, unobstructed views when landing on 18L and, for the most part, the police don't patrol there too often.

I agree though that TPA is far more "spotter friendly" than MCO or SFB.

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

FutureFO

Tue May 24, 2005 10:21 pm

Well only if GOAA knows what their doing. Also if they monitor the boards, they would realize that there alot of people who enjoying MCO and love to take pics and just observe the ops of the airport.

Sean from MCO and MKE

jacobin777

Tue May 24, 2005 11:33 pm

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 14):

I agree though that TPA is far more "spotter friendly" than MCO or SFB.

I think it would be good to find out what the laws say about shooting in public property.....if you have a right to be there, then you have a right to take pictures......

a good attourney who knows these laws will probably be able to figure some loophole,

that being said, i'm not sure if its worth it..

easier to be here @ SFO and take pics...where all the cops and the airport security know people come to take pics...
"Up the Irons!"

727LOVER

Wed May 25, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 15):
Also if they monitor the boards, they would realize that there alot of people who enjoying MCO and love to take pics and just observe the ops of the airport.

They do know...they just don't give a (4-letter word)

I mean, really....SFB and MCO....it must be that Central Florida air.

TPA, PIE, SRQ, FLL, MIA...all near the coast with relatively minor problems.
Love Trumps Hate

MxCtrlr

Wed May 25, 2005 9:05 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 16):
I think it would be good to find out what the laws say about shooting in public property.....if you have a right to be there, then you have a right to take pictures......

Since when did anyone's "rights" mean anything to the Ghestapo, er, I mean, TSA? Man, give me some of what you're smoking cause its GOT to be some good shit!

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

B744F

Wed May 25, 2005 10:53 am

HAHA you think you have RIGHTS? No chance

jetpixx

Wed May 25, 2005 11:29 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 4):

UMM....excuse me, Maybe he wants to experience something different, dude.

Yeah - I love FLL and MIA - but I just want to take a trip to MCO, SFB and TPA to get some shots for my personal website (see profile). For instance, Allegiant doesn't fly to my home airports, Monarch, etc. I might even swing back down through SRQ and RSW for fun. I just love variety and going to different places...I'll even take an extra connection if I can fly somewhere I've never been.

I am visiting ORD, MQT and DLH on my vacation starting on Friday - and I am flying through DTW to CAK, so I'll add a lot of photos in the next few days.....

[Edited 2005-05-25 04:30:58]

[Edited 2005-05-25 04:31:59]

NASCARAirforce

Wed May 25, 2005 12:12 pm

With the Patriot act, we can be arrested for anything that we do now, whether what we are doing is illegal or not. If the Gestapo aka New World Order or whatever you want to call it "thinks" we are doing something suspicious, the Patriot Act gives them permission to arrest us. There is another article on this board about photographing in public places and how you can be busted for taking pictures of bridges etc.

jacobin777

Wed May 25, 2005 12:49 pm

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 18):
Since when did anyone's "rights" mean anything to the Ghestapo, er, I mean, TSA? Man, give me some of what you're smoking cause its GOT to be some good shit!

.......lol..not smoking the funky stuff... Wink

seriously though, I couldn't agree with you more....fortunately though, I really haven't had too many problems with the TSA....

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 21):
If the Gestapo aka New World Order or whatever you want to call it "thinks" we are doing something suspicious, the Patriot Act gives them permission to arrest us. There is another article on this board about photographing in public places and how you can be busted for taking pictures of bridges etc.

yah..I agree.....what a shame........they are pathetic....pretty sad....I think our forefathers must be turning in their graves..

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin
"Up the Irons!"

Delta767300ER

Wed May 25, 2005 11:45 pm

I also think the Terminal Top at MCO where the heliport is located is a shitty place to spot. I go up their all the time and a lot of the TSA guys go up their to smoke. I have never filled out a "Use of Facilities" permit and they never bother me.

-Delta767300ER

FutureFO

Thu May 26, 2005 1:14 pm

I have not been physically hassled by any authorities at MCO but have heard a Song crew call us in. And then we make the run for the border to get away and regroup.

Sean from MCO and MKE

APFPilot1985

Thu May 26, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 20):
. I might even swing back down through SRQ and RSW for fun.

if you do come to rsw shoot me an email.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

miamix707

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:27 am

UMM....excuse me, Maybe he wants to experience something different, dude

Excuse you dude  Wink I was just saying that anything you can catch at MCO could be photographed at FLL and MIA except for maybe Aer Lingus. I wasn't thinking about SFB, but one or two visits there should do it. That's all..

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 16):
easier to be here @ SFO and take pics...where all the cops and the airport security know people come to take pics...

Well most Florida cops are rednecks, especially in central florida. You can't really compare manners, education etc of a Fla officer to someone from San Francisco.. That's totally unfair  Wink

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 17):
TPA, PIE, SRQ, FLL, MIA...all near the coast with relatively minor problems

I've had the good fortune of never having had any "horror stories" with any police officer and I know it's not the norm but the only time I've had an unpleasant encounter with a rude, dumb police officer happened to be at FLL. (See the reason why above) and not only did he kick me out, he kicked out a tourist and as a result that's another tourist who may not bother to come back, good job!

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 23):
I have never filled out a "Use of Facilities" permit and they never bother me.

lmao, having to fill out a 'use of facilities' form to sit around a bunch of guys smoking.. So MCO is "safe" from the terrorists but the second hand smoke will still kill you!  silly 

727LOVER

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:31 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 26):
I've had the good fortune of never having had any "horror stories" with any police officer and I know it's not the norm but the only time I've had an unpleasant encounter with a rude, dumb police officer happened to be at FLL. (See the reason why above) and not only did he kick me out, he kicked out a tourist and as a result that's another tourist who may not bother to come back, good job!

Kicked out of where????
Love Trumps Hate

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:19 am

If you have any more questions about MCO or SFB, email me at justinidle@earthlink.net

Just as an OT suggestion, I would recommend not putting your email in clear text on a website. It's a good way to attract spam. Put your email in your profile and choose not to display it. Any member can send you mail via the A.nut profile anyway.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

miamix707

Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:36 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 27):
Kicked out of where????

Ok you know where the Amerijet bldg in FLL is? They were using the 27L approach and turning there in the afternoon, great for photos. I was actually parked across of the road from the building. The 'official' spot would've been useless because the planes don't make it that far when the 27s approach is in use. This cop was speeding towards my car like he was on hot pursuit, and pretty much slammed the brakes next to my car, he was on the grass, I thought his cruiser was gonna slide and hit me. Either he thought he would intimidate me or he's the biggest dumba$$ I ever saw. I had gone to the fence like twice to get some shots but went back to my car, maybe someone from the tower called him.

The best part was, 10 secs after the a**hole told myself and the poor tourist to leave (and asked me if I had a problem -Iguess he didnt like what I told him Big grin) the Southwest Shamu landed, and to this day I haven't been able to get it for my collection.

Who pays for these cops to drive around the airport all day and just do nothing, do we pay for them? or is it the city? In his case, he decided he'd take my place and chill out in that spot after he made me leave, his fat ass was too lazy to drive around the airport in circles like they usually do at FLL. I have to say though, other cops there usually know ppl are just there watchin te planes and won't give you any attitudes even if they were to move you.