flyingnanook

WN's Old Plastic Boarding Cards

Sun May 22, 2005 11:16 am

I was just thinking about the numbered plastic boarding cards the WN used before the A/B/C boarding passes. Does anybody know what happened to them? Were they thrown out? Mementos for employees? In storage somewhere? Buried in the desert? There must have been thousands (tens of thousands?) of those cards out there. Where did they all go?
Semper ubi sub ubi.

N200WN

RE: WN's Old Plastic Boarding Cards

Sun May 22, 2005 1:48 pm

In SAT we still have all of the old plastic boarding cards stored at the gates. We use them several times a month to handle thru pax that are involved with A/C swaps or other irregular operations. They come in real handy sometimes.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun May 22, 2005 1:51 pm

Yeah I remember seeing a bunch of them stored in the training room at SJC.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

FlyingTexan

Sun May 22, 2005 1:54 pm

From what I know, SWA saved them for use - as N200WN pointed out. I fondly recall those were great!

Did all California stations have cards shaped like the Golden state?
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

N200WN

Sun May 22, 2005 2:08 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 2):
Yeah I remember seeing a bunch of them stored in the training room at SJC.

SJC had an oversupply of plastic boarding cards even when they were in regular use. Funny that they're still there in the training room after all of these years. I'm sure if someone really wanted a few they wouldn't be missed. There were a few sets of the California shaped cards but most were the regular variety.

QANTAS747-438

Sun May 22, 2005 2:59 pm

I used plastic boarding cards today. A thru flight had an aircraft swap, and to identify which pax would be those thru passengers, we gave them the yellow plastic boarding cards. They can't board a flight with nothing... that wouldn't fly with the security people. So to give them something, we use the plastic boarding cards.

The cards are kept behind or near the gate podium. It's usually kept with all of the supplies like paper, fuel slips, etc.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

atrude777

Sun May 22, 2005 6:13 pm

Thats funny, I remember the first time I flew Southwest Airlines, and I got to use a boarding card. I was really excited. i remember I was number 19, and my card was green. Very exciting I even had a picture taken haha.
Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

KLM685

Sun May 22, 2005 6:16 pm

Hey Atrude777, is it possible for you to post a picture of the plastic boarding card? I'm very curious about this, I had no idea about their existence!

Cheers

Alonso
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

Type-Rated

Mon May 23, 2005 12:21 am

The thing I didn't like about those boarding cards was their size. They were rather large. You couldn't possibly fit one into a pocket. You just had to hold it. I think this was so all the agents could look out into the gate area and see who had and who didn't have boarding cards. Now if you had a backpack, you could stick it in there.....
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

swadispatcher

Mon May 23, 2005 10:59 am

I was lucky enough to get one (orange #15) framed along with a new paper boarding pass as a "thank you" from the Ground Ops folks for working on the Automated Boarding Pass project back in 2001. I have it hanging up in my office at home with all my other airline memorabilia.

All the stations are supposed to keep several complete sets in case the computer systems go down, AC swaps with thrus, etc.
Maintain 2300 until Boiler, cleared for the VOR-A approach, report BATLE inbound..