flymusic

What's Going On With AC And Their New Colors?

Tue May 24, 2005 12:48 am

Last week I saw an AC A320 flying over my house into LGA, when I looked up I saw the new colors. But I kept looking and I realised that the only the tail had the new colors. I thought it was probably my imagination, but right now I just came back from dropping off a friend at EWR and I saw the same scheme on an A320. Whats going on with AC and the new colors? Some of them have it entirely and some of them don't. Why?  confused 

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Tsagaris - CYOW Airport Watch
View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Tsagaris - CYOW Airport Watch

You fall like autumn leaves who lack tranquility.

solnabo

RE: What's Going On With AC And Their New Colors?

Tue May 24, 2005 1:21 am

Looks like AC painted the tailfin some of the a/c in the new c/s...

Micke//SE  Confused
Airbus SAS - Love them both

Cruiser

Tue May 24, 2005 1:47 am

On some of their aircraft, they have applied a decal to the tail until it goes in for paint. I am not sure of the reasoning behind it, but I guess it helps them to rebrand their planes faster as the tail is a major change, while most do not notice the change in fuselage coloring.

Hope that answers your question.

Cruiser
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

cedarjet

Tue May 24, 2005 1:51 am

This happens a lot - whacking a new logo on the tail is much cheaper and easier than taking the aircraft out of service for three days for a complete respray. This way the plane can keep flying til it's D-check (when it would probably get repainted anyway) and yet it looks like it has the new livery. A classic example is the BOAC / BA hybrids (see below) which didn't disappear for nearly a decade after the rebranding.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mick Bajcar
View Large View Medium

Photo © Erik Frikke

fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

flymusic

Tue May 24, 2005 2:16 am

Thank you guys. I thought AC couldn't afford to paint the entire aircraft. lol hypnotized 
You fall like autumn leaves who lack tranquility.

cgnnrw

Tue May 24, 2005 4:09 am

Whatever the reason, I don't like it. Looks soooooo blaaah!  yuck 
A330 man.

B744F

Tue May 24, 2005 5:20 am

I like it, it's nice a subtle. Its just an airplane, it isn't a flying painting.

ACYWG

Tue May 24, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting B744F (Reply 6):
Its just an airplane, it isn't a flying painting.

Exactly...not Every plane can be Peter Max...

DLKAPA

Tue May 24, 2005 5:54 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 3):
This happens a lot - whacking a new logo on the tail is much cheaper and easier than taking the aircraft out of service for three days for a complete respray. This way the plane can keep flying til it's D-check (when it would probably get repainted anyway) and yet it looks like it has the new livery. A classic example is the BOAC / BA hybrids (see below) which didn't disappear for nearly a decade after the rebranding.

Several years ago at Stapleton I saw a UA 732 taxiing around with the new tailfin paint and the old fuselage.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

captaink

Tue May 24, 2005 6:31 am

To be honest, I think the airplanes look better with the tail alone painted. I just cannot stand seeing that new color scheme. The design on the tail itself isn't so bad. But the off looking, clinical color on the body just doesn't work for me...
There is something special about planes....