B737-112
Topic Author

Another 707 Arrives At Bur!

Mon Apr 17, 2000 12:23 pm

Today I was at the Burbank Airport and saw the arrival of a Boeing 707 (P4-TBN) for the installation of hushkits for Stage III noise compliance! It is a privately owned Aruba based plane.
Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Dennis Lau

Burbank Aeronautical has had a 707 here for quite a while showing off a Stage III hushkit and six foot winglets! Also look what's in the hangar behind this classic!
Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael Carter

-Ryan

flyf15

RE: Another 707 Arrives At Bur!

Mon Apr 17, 2000 12:30 pm

What are these aircraft used for after the conversion is done?

Wonder whats going on with that DC-8? V2500 engines?  

Happy-flier

Mon Apr 17, 2000 12:34 pm

What gorgeous pictures.

I wonder how many 707's are going to be retrofitted, and whether this means that some of the Stage III, winglet-equipped models will see a return to some sort of passenger service? Could this be the beginning of a 707 Renaissance??

I hope so...  

May the wind be always at your back . . . except during takeoff & landing.

Matt D

707 Renaissance?

Mon Apr 17, 2000 12:47 pm

Don't count on it.

CPDC10-30

RE: 707 Renaissance?

Mon Apr 17, 2000 1:53 pm

It may not be likely..but we can all hope  

I have always hoped to fly on a 707, but it is pretty much impossible. Seeing the modernized 707 with winglets brought a little twinkle to my eye when I saw it though. If one of those ever goes in pax service, let me know!

jabpilot

Tue Apr 18, 2000 2:44 am

i am sure none of these retrofitted aircraft that make their way into BUR will ever be seen in passenger service again, although it would be nostalgic. i've seen several B707 and DC8 a/c come and leave Burbank and almost all were going back to foriegn countries except for a recent Emery DC8, which will probably return to service in the U.S.the 707 that arrived at BUR last evening came in nonstop from Ireland.

woodsboy

RE: 707 Rebirth

Tue Apr 18, 2000 5:13 am

No matter how quiet a stage-III hushkit will make it OR how much better performance will be with winglets, the 707 is still an expensive plane to operate. They are very uneconomical in regards to fuel useage and the maintenance on a 4-holer like this is pretty intensive, especially on such an old bird. I suppose if you had a bunch of spare 707s sitting around to supply your flying aircraft it could work but......most all the 707s still in operation are in Africa, South America and Asia where they are in a sad state of disrepair and probably could never be registered in this country again.

I would say that a rebirth of the DC-8 is more likely, there alot more of them, most are US operators and many of them have already been re-engined starting back in the early 80s.

DC-8

Tue Apr 18, 2000 4:37 pm

I wonder who owns that DC-8?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos