DeltaMIA
Topic Author

DL Pulling Mainline From BTR, PWM And TUL...

Wed May 25, 2005 3:53 am

Effective Sep. 1 DL will pull mainline flights from BTR, PWM and TUL and transition their current flights into DCI operated RJ's.

TUL had 3 daily 732's to ATL
BTR had 2 daily 732's to ATL
PWM had 2 daily M88's to ATL and 1 M88 and 1 732 to CVG.

The DL ACS agents will be offered their choice of jobs across the system or they have the option to be hired on with the respected DCI operator taking over the station. I believe EV in BTR and TUL and OH in PWM.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

foxecho

RE: DL Pulling Mainline From BTR, PWM And TUL...

Wed May 25, 2005 4:08 am

Sorry to hear that

I did some TDY at BTR a year ago...good folks down there, Also had the pleasure of meeting DL folks at PWM when I go to Maine to see my cousins....I hate to hear this. Out of MCI we have a few RJs now to ATL.

Andrew
JFK/MEM/MCI
..uh, we'll need that to live......

padcrasher

Wed May 25, 2005 4:21 am

Unbelievable. BTR at one time had 11 flights. 5 to DFW and 6 to ATL all 727s and DC-9s.

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 25, 2005 4:27 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 2):
BTR at one time had 11 flights. 5 to DFW and 6 to ATL all 727s and DC-9s.

Also, 72Ss and M88s to BHM (1stop to CVG) as well as 72S to MOB (1stop to ATL).
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

N1120A

Wed May 25, 2005 4:31 am

Quote:
Unbelievable. BTR at one time had 11 flights. 5 to DFW and 6 to ATL all 727s and DC-9s.

Things change. DL was the worst offender in the RJ era and now cities are paying for it. As far as 727s go, a 737 would be a much better plane to fly the route.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ouboy79

Wed May 25, 2005 4:32 am

When are the schedules expected to be loaded?

DAL767400ER

Wed May 25, 2005 4:33 am

Bad news for those markets, but BTR and TUL don't really surprise me, seeing as they already had a massive number of RJ flights, and the only mainline equipment being the 732. PWM however surprises me, given that it was mostly a mainline city, with additional RJs, rather than the other way around, and getting MD-88s. Oh well, guess the MD-88s will be needed to replace 732s on other routes out of ATL and CVG. But maybe once DL is out of the sh!t, those destinations could get a BUF treatment, with a return of mainline service, at least to ATL.

padcrasher

Wed May 25, 2005 4:36 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):
Things change. DL was the worst offender in the RJ era and now cities are paying for it. As far as 727s go, a 737 would be a much better plane to fly the route.

???? It's not like BTR has been taken over by mainline aircraft of other airlines.

FlyPNS1

Wed May 25, 2005 4:43 am

I'm not surprised by TUL or BTR either.

I am surprised by PWM. It's a higher yielding market and DL has good marketshare. Unfortunately, with the heavy number of mainline aircraft retirements, I expect to see more markets lose mainline service.

DL says they are trying to improve customer service, but replacing mainline flights on PWM-ATL with crappy ASA RJ service doesn't sound like good customer service to me.

BNAflyer78

Wed May 25, 2005 4:44 am

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of mainline DL service for smaller cities like JAN, MOB, TYS, LIT, etc.?
Long live the Widget!

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 25, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 7):
It's not like BTR has been taken over by mainline aircraft of other airlines.

No, but in recent years, they've all been returning it.

In fact, post-2003, AA had been BTR's only tenant to not return mainline service.

DeltaMIA
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2005 4:46 am

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 5):
When are the schedules expected to be loaded?

I believe Saturday.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

padcrasher

Wed May 25, 2005 4:49 am

You could be right. Any non-Airtran city West of Atlanta and East of DFW is a good candidate for RJ service. What are they going to do? It's not like most have an option of even taking a mainline aircraft east north or south.

DL will take these mainline aircraft a put them in other Southeast markets to beat Airtran over the head with.

padcrasher

Wed May 25, 2005 4:50 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 8):
DL says they are trying to improve customer service, but replacing mainline flights on PWM-ATL with crappy ASA RJ service doesn't sound like good customer service to me.

Except of course that this mainline aircraft is going to another market so your customer service point is a non-issue.

padcrasher

Wed May 25, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 10):
No, but in recent years, they've all been returning it.

Good point...LOL

[Edited 2005-05-24 21:56:40]

Tom in NO

Wed May 25, 2005 4:53 am

Fred or somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DL's departure leave NW as having the sole remaining mainline service into BTR?

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 25, 2005 4:56 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 14):
NW/AA/US do not have mainline aircraft.

NW has (as recent as last fall anyways) returned mainline service to MEM

I just said AA is the holdout *slap*

...and US hasn't served this airport for years.

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 25, 2005 4:59 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 15):
but doesn't DL's departure leave NW as having the sole remaining mainline service into BTR?

CO was running a morning and evening 735 to IAH from BTR, the day me and Steve went there to check for that TCA office.

Dunno what they're flying now.

papatango

Wed May 25, 2005 5:00 am

Remember Delta is returning some 737-200 to their leasors this year

N1120A

Wed May 25, 2005 5:15 am

Quote:
CO was running a morning and evening 735 to IAH from BTR, the day me and Steve went there to check for that TCA office.

The 735 was RONing there. It is not currently running, though that could change.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Tom in NO

Wed May 25, 2005 5:20 am

Just did ten minutes worth of digging. It looks like CO has one mainline flight (a 737-500 AM departure) to IAH. NW does have mainline flights to MEM.

The last five minutes of digging was spent checking Louisiana's other primary air carrier airports (SHV, MLU, LCH, AEX, and LFT): there's no other Louisiana mainline service besides MSY (obviously) and the remaining service at BTR. (I was thinking SHV might have some.)

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

planes333

Wed May 25, 2005 5:21 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 16):
NW has (as recent as last fall anyways) returned mainline service to MEM

Was there a time when NW did not operate mainline flights into BTR? I see that in Sept. NW will downgrade one of their 3 DC9 flights to a CRJ. Just wondering if the station was previously Airlink.

~planes333

FlyPNS1

Wed May 25, 2005 5:41 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 13):
Except of course that this mainline aircraft is going to another market so your customer service point is a non-issue.

Why is the customer service point a non-issue just because the plane is going elsewhere? Do you think people traveling the PWM-ATL route will care that the plane went to another route when they are stuck in an ASA RJ that has been delayed and their luggage lost? DL management and many DL employees (on this board) have complained that yields are low and customers aren't paying enough. But why should customers pay any premium if all they're getting is crappy ASA???

And for that matter, many of these planes aren't going to another route. The 732's are going to the desert.

zrs70

Wed May 25, 2005 5:49 am

What a shame about PWM. DL, I believe, is the largest carrier there. (At least it was in the past). PWM is one of the last holdouts from the Northeast days!
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

padcrasher

Wed May 25, 2005 6:06 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 22):
Why is the customer service point a non-issue just because the plane is going elsewhere? Do you think people traveling the PWM-ATL route will care that the plane went to another route when they are stuck in an ASA RJ that has been delayed and their luggage lost? DL management and many DL employees (on this board) have complained that yields are low and customers aren't paying enough. But why should customers pay any premium if all they're getting is crappy ASA???

And for that matter, many of these planes aren't going to another route. The 732's are going to the desert.

What don't you get?. The PWM plane is going to be put in another market where they will create more of the good customer service you are talking about. PWM's loss will be CAK's gain for instance. The may decide to upgrade PLS. Who the hell cares?

Also in absolute terms more mainline seats are being added this year than RJ's. So it does not matter is some aircraft are being retired.

DAYflyer

Wed May 25, 2005 6:07 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 12):

DL will take these mainline aircraft a put them in other Southeast markets to beat Airtran over the head with.

How will that help DL? Airtran is all mainline aircraft. Besides the 737-200 is being retired, not re-assigned.

How does downgrading service to anywhere make any sense when people need or want MORE service, not less. How can replacing a 737 with an RJ benefit anyone, including the airline itself seeing how high the operating costs of those little CRJ's can be? When I fly anywhere I ask not to be booked on anything even looking like a CRJ if it can be avoided. Damn things are the size of a cigarette inside.
One Nation Under God

COfaninBOS

Wed May 25, 2005 6:12 am

CO will have mainline service this summer to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette.

BTR and LFT will both receive 8 ERJs and 1 735 on weekdays from IAH.

DAL767400ER

Wed May 25, 2005 6:31 am

@DAYflyer: It will benefit Delta, because even with it's high CASM, it is more economically efficient to operate a full CRJ than an only 50% filled gas-guzzling 732.

Danny

Wed May 25, 2005 6:38 am

Also BUF-CVG goes back to all CRJ. These changes are because of retirements of 732 which are terrible fuel burners.

Zone1

Wed May 25, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting BNAflyer78 (Reply 9):
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of mainline DL service for smaller cities like JAN, MOB, TYS, LIT, etc.?

I hope they don't drop MOB's mainline service. If they did MOB will become an all RJ city. They scaled back the number of seats recently, and dropped the late flight in, which sucks because I usually took that one after I was done with finals. MOB must make some money for them because it is always more expensive to fly to MOB than GPT or PNS, and my dad has never gotten an upgrade from MOB to ATL, so a lot of people are either Platinum Medallions or actually buy first.
/// U N I T E D

FlyPNS1

Wed May 25, 2005 7:26 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 24):
What don't you get?. The PWM plane is going to be put in another market where they will create more of the good customer service you are talking about. PWM's loss will be CAK's gain for instance. The may decide to upgrade PLS. Who the hell cares?

Also in absolute terms more mainline seats are being added this year than RJ's. So it does not matter is some aircraft are being retired.

If DL took every mainline plane and had them fly just three routes (ATL-MCO, ATL-LGA and ATL-LAX) and made every other route an RJ, would you still say that DL's customer service is the same?

Obviously my example is extreme, but the point I am making is that DL is relying too heavily on sub-par regional affiliates. Sure they might still fly the same number of mainline ASM's, but those ASM's are being concentrated on an ever shrinking number of unique routes. As DL does this, it increases the likelihood that customers will have to fly on ASA for at least part of their journey.

Sure in real terms more mainline seats are being added (at least for this year), but ASA is actually growing at a much faster rate. In April 2004, ASA accounted for 4.3% of all DL (mainline+DCI) ASM's, but in April 2005, ASA accounted for 5.1%.

DAL767400ER

Wed May 25, 2005 7:34 am

Well, since you think that the RJs are so bad, then what do you suggest DL should do? Keep the fuel-guzzling 732s, reduce the number of flight and therefore travelling options? There is a reason Delta is flying so many RJs. They have to adapt to the market. Sure, I would also prefer to see Delta replacing the 732/733s with more 738s, but how pay for them? RJ flying can be done by sub-contracted carriers like Mesa or Chautauqua, which have low employee pay and are rather cheap (especially Mesa, sorry excuse of an airline). Can't do that with mainline. Like it or not, for the next years to come, Delta will have to rely on RJs to replace ageing, inefficient 737s and still keep the number of travelling options up. And don't forget Delta is also diversifying its product by constantly starting more p2p routes, a market for which RJs are the ideal aircraft.

flyinryan99

Wed May 25, 2005 7:34 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 24):

CAK is getting mainline back to ATL? If so...how many daily flights?

A330323X

Wed May 25, 2005 7:35 am

What a shame about PWM. DL, I believe, is the largest carrier there. (At least it was in the past).

My rough calculations show US with 1,111 daily seats this summer and DL with 1,003 daily seats. That's during the high season, of course, and before DL mainline pulls out.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

DAL767400ER

Wed May 25, 2005 7:42 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 32):
CAK is getting mainline back to ATL? If so...how many daily flights?

He just used CAK as an example. Don't if any mainline return to CAK is already planned, but it should happen sometime in the future, seeing as how good CAK has developed for DL, with both ATL and CVG getting 4 CR7s and 3 CRJs, each (the 7th flight to ATL will start sometime this summer). It could very well be that CAK will see 1 or 2 daily MD-88s.

flyinryan99

Wed May 25, 2005 7:53 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 34):
He just used CAK as an example. Don't if any mainline return to CAK is already planned, but it should happen sometime in the future, seeing as how good CAK has developed for DL, with both ATL and CVG getting 4 CR7s and 3 CRJs, each (the 7th flight to ATL will start sometime this summer). It could very well be that CAK will see 1 or 2 daily MD-88s.

I totally agree CAK has been a gold mine for Delta. I remember back in the 2000 - 2001 (correct me if I'm wrong) timeframe, mainline did fly into CAK on 2 daily flights. The only reason I ask is because he said "will be" instead of "could be." I think it would be great for them, Fred Krum is just a genius when it comes to things like this. I mean, they are getting F9 here in a couple of weeks and then LAS on FL at the end of the Summer.... I'm actually surprised Delta Connection doesn't fly any Florida flights out of there, I would expect those to be fairly full too. It's amazing what a success story this is for the smaller mid-sized airports. I guess that's what happens when you have people dedicated to their job and are darn good at it. Wish I could say the same for my airport  Sad

FlyPNS1

Wed May 25, 2005 7:58 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 31):
Well, since you think that the RJs are so bad, then what do you suggest DL should do? Keep the fuel-guzzling 732s, reduce the number of flight and therefore travelling options? There is a reason Delta is flying so many RJs. They have to adapt to the market. Sure, I would also prefer to see Delta replacing the 732/733s with more 738s, but how pay for them? RJ flying can be done by sub-contracted carriers like Mesa or Chautauqua, which have low employee pay and are rather cheap (especially Mesa, sorry excuse of an airline). Can't do that with mainline. Like it or not, for the next years to come, Delta will have to rely on RJs to replace ageing, inefficient 737s and still keep the number of travelling options up. And don't forget Delta is also diversifying its product by constantly starting more p2p routes, a market for which RJs are the ideal aircraft.

You're right, at this point there is little DL can do, but add more RJ's. Unfortunately, DL is paying the price for their RJ orgy and will pay the price for many, many years to come. A large chunk of DL's $20+ Billion in debt comes from the RJ's and this debt burden will haunt DL for a long time to come. One of the reasons DL can't afford mainline planes is because so much of DL's cash is being consumed paying on the debt for the RJ's.

Worst of all the RJ's are very high CASM. DL is actually dumping tons of high CASM capacity into a low-yield market. RJ's actually have a far worse fuel burn per passenger than most mainline planes, so DL is screwing themselves there, too.

Sure it's nice to offer lots of travel options with the RJ's, but what's the point if you can't make money? DL has been the most aggressive with RJ's and what do they have to show for it??? Lingering on the edge of bankruptcy and a ton of debt....what an accomplishment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. RJ's have their place and DL has certainly put them on some good routes. BUT, DL is relying too heavily on high-CASM, poor service RJ's to fly major routes and it is slowly destroying much of the DL network.

chrisnh

Wed May 25, 2005 10:31 am

I'm sad to hear about Portland. This is a station where Delta fielded 757s to Boston (!) and CVG in the 1980s. But Delta is doing to PWM what United did: eliminating mainline jets and replacing them with RJs. True enough, Portland is a seasonal station that peaks between Memorial Day and Labor Day. What happens there September through May must be pretty severe if DL is following UAs lead with this downgrade.

Now, Manchester, NH--some 100 miles south--may get an equipment upgrade to handle the passengers in southern Maine that might look more toward MHT? We get MD-88s now, and 757s seem to be an obvious 'next step.' We'll see, I guess, after Labor Day.

Chris in NH

ARCJET

Wed May 25, 2005 11:04 am

I remember when Delta started service to Denver and Tulsa on July 28, 1977 from Atlanta.
Charleston, SC

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 25, 2005 11:23 am

Quoting Planes333 (Reply 21):
Was there a time when NW did not operate mainline flights into BTR?

After 9/11, they went for an Avro and CRJ mix.... then all-CRJs. Now it's back up to D9s.

jetpixx

Wed May 25, 2005 11:25 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 35):
I totally agree CAK has been a gold mine for Delta. I remember back in the 2000 - 2001 (correct me if I'm wrong) timeframe, mainline did fly into CAK on 2 daily flights.

DL briefly had MD-88 service three times daily from ATL to CAK right around 9/11, but it was suspended. I'd love to see it return, as I'd much prefer mainline service as opposed to RJ service, at least from ATL. From CVG, I don't mind one way or the other.

I am flying from FLL-DTW-CAK on Friday and don't mind an SF3 or CRJ. As I fly six to 10 times to CAK or CLE each year, I'd much prefer mainline to CAK or cheaper fares to CLE.

stock1985

Wed May 25, 2005 11:44 am

Maybe if Delta did not charge an arm and a leg for their ATL-TUL fares the demand would increase. I was just checking last week and the lowest fare in the market was $373!! I guess OKC will keep their 4 dailies, however, I just noticed that their MD-88's are going to 2 daily CR7's and 2 MD-88's. OKC seems to be a better Delta market, I flew the 6:10 PM flight in April and the plane was probably 70% full, but about 25 people on the plane were business travelers most likely flying on high fares and most were Medallion Members. (I was truly surprised to speak with the gate agent, finding out that First Class was oversold and there were probably 12-15 people on the wait list. I do not think Tulsa ever had that Premium demand...except the 10 or so TUL-ATL-TUL flights I have been on were full. Sad day in Tulsa....

[Edited 2005-05-25 05:13:37]

[Edited 2005-05-25 05:14:23]

iowaman

Wed May 25, 2005 12:19 pm

That really stinks, ATL-PWM and ATL-TUL on a smaller scale are long routes for the CRJ.

On a good note:

TUL- F9 (QX) started 2x CR7 DEN-TUL last week, would should help lower fares out west.

PWM- Independence is going to introduce A319 service to PWM sometime this summer from IAD.

EMBQA

Wed May 25, 2005 12:30 pm

ChrisNH-

I was living near PWM back in 1983-84 when Delta introduced the 757 to Portland. It was big news. I remember for a while they had 3 or 4 757's a day through there...
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

NW7E7

Wed May 25, 2005 1:48 pm

I don't think DL will cut mainline service to ATL from LIT. It is one of the hottest routes out of LIT. They currently operate 3 MD-88's, 2 CR7's, and 2 CRJ's to ATL. Back in the fall they even had some 757 flights for a few weeks.

MAH4546

Wed May 25, 2005 1:59 pm

Quoting NW7E7 (Reply 44):
It is one of the hottest routes out of LIT.

That really doesn't mean anything. Little Rock is just as "safe" from mainline cutting as Portland was last week.
a.

kevoc3

Wed May 25, 2005 2:16 pm

I am not one to post msgs often, but I must. I would not be suprised to see a mainline return to PWM next summer, but handled be Comair, since that would be cheaper than mainline for a seasonal destination. BTR is a large MX base for ASA, removal of mainline aircraft gives the base for flexability with the loss of the DFW flights a few months ago... That could be a reason for the loss, also due to the loss of more 732s.. The memo on Delta net was of a streamling of ops. I am not sure about TUL, except maybe a way to run more CR7 to SLC from ATL and back.

Jonathan L

Wed May 25, 2005 2:43 pm

I'm sad to hear about PWM. I'd much rather fly on an MD-88 than a CRJ.

pwm2txlhopper

Wed May 25, 2005 2:49 pm

I also don't post many messages here anymore, but I also had to express my sorrow at hearing that DL will be pulling mainline out of PWM and shutting the station.
I've grown up here in the Portland area and PWM has always been my home airport. In fact, it was flying on DL 727's out of PWM as a small child throughout the 80's, that I strongly suspect triggered off my passion for commercial aviation and the 727 in particular.
DL has been the lone hold-out airline in PWM that has kept mainline equipment serving the airport daily. Everybody else has pulled out with the exception of seasonal upgrades with NW and US. Just five years ago we had mainline on DL, NW, UA, US, TW and off and on with CO. The most interesting thing you'll see at PWM nowdays appears like it will be the Primaris 757-2s that have been coming up from Boston to overnight fairly frequently lately.
In my lifetime I've seen DL fly to PWM the 727, 737-2/300, 757, MD-88 and 767-2s that use to overnight some 15 years ago now. I also use to work for Northeast Aeromotive as a contract ramp agent for DL and assume I must have worked most every MD-88 in their fleet. I know there are quite a few Dl emplyees at the station that have been there for decades and this must come as a surprise.
I understand from a business prospective the reason for the downgrade, but at an enthusiast I can't help but feel we've lost something.

IL76TD

Wed May 25, 2005 6:03 pm

DAL767400ER,

Exactly, some people's financial sense on this board amazes me.

Tom

[Edited 2005-05-25 11:03:32]