lincoln

DC-9/MD-80/MD-88 Seating Question

Wed May 25, 2005 8:03 am

Hi All,

I'm doing some virtual spring cleaning and came across an electronic copy of the itin for my vacation last year... Including a DL 767 segment from SAN-ATL which I remember quite well (and if the A.Net member from France who sat next to me reads this, feel free to drop me an email, sorry I didn't get your name!)... But there was also an MD-88 segment from ATL-DTW, which I honesltly can't remember anything except the gate we boarded from.

To try to jog my memory, I pulled up the seat map for Delta's MD-88s on Seat Guru, and wait...hmm... my seat (17A) was the 3-seat (A/B/C) side of the aisle. I thought it was A/B then D/E/F on the DC-9 derivitives.

I Pulled the seat maps for AA's MD-80s and NW's DC-9-30s (both of which I have had the pleasure of flying) and both are as I remember them.

Is this an airline choice or does it have something to do with the newer versions of the DC-9 series A/C?

Either way, what is the reasoning behind the difference (If any  Smile)?

By the way-- and I haven't searched for this answer yet, so please ignore it if it's already been discussed, but: Why doesn't NW operate MD-80s? They seem to be happy enough with their DC-9 fleet that on the surface it seems like it may have been a logical jump at one point in time (Isn't the "true" MD-80 even on the same certificate as the DC-9 as a DC-9-80?)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

CVG777

RE: DC-9/MD-80/MD-88 Seating Question

Wed May 25, 2005 8:07 am

Quoting Lincoln (Thread starter):
To try to jog my memory, I pulled up the seat map for Delta's MD-88s on Seat Guru, and wait...hmm... my seat (17A) was the 3-seat (A/B/C) side of the aisle. I thought it was A/B then D/E/F on the DC-9 derivitives.

From what I have read before I believe that the reason for the three abreast on the left side of the Delta MD-88 was to allow for a larger galley at the rear left side exit.

-Mike

srbmod

Wed May 25, 2005 8:16 am

Quoting Lincoln (Thread starter):
Why doesn't NW operate MD-80s?

They picked up eight of them in the merger with Republic, one crashed @ DTW, and NW retired them in 1999 because they were a bit of an oddball in the fleet.

MakeMinesLAX

Wed May 25, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting CVG777 (Reply 1):
From what I have read before I believe that the reason for the three abreast on the left side of the Delta MD-88 was to allow for a larger galley at the rear left side exit.

...which, IIRC, makes it possible for the catering truck to stock the galley from the left side and not interfere with the baggage handling on the right.

flyingnanook

Wed May 25, 2005 11:55 am

I thought it had to do with airline choice. AS operates MD-82's and -83's with seats arranged ABC aisle DF.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

lincoln

Wed May 25, 2005 12:19 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I would have never thought of it on my own, but catering makes perfect sense (aren't virtually all (mainline, of course) aircraft catered from the port side anyways, making a starbord catered DC-9 a bit of an oddball on the ramp?)

With mention of the AS MD-82s/83s It would appear that the 3/2 or 2/3 decision is made on an airline-by-airline basis, but if anyone has a conclusive answer I'd still appreciate it.

I remain curious as to why NW didn't (doesn't) operate a large MD-80 fleet (I can understand that operating a mini-fleet of 10 wouldn't make financial sense from a spares perspective), but that's a question for a different thread and I'm not sure I really want to touch a Northwest-specific DC-9/MD-80 thread with a 10 foot pole  Smile

Thanks again!

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ckfred

Wed May 25, 2005 1:37 pm

When DL flew DC-9s, the seats were 2 on the port side and 3 on the starboard side. Since the older DC-9s have a very small galley, the seating arrangement made no difference in terms of seating capacity.

On the MD-80s, with 2 seats on the port side, that makes for 2 narrow galleys placed one behind the other. If, like DL has done, the 3 seats are on the port side, then one wider galley can be positioned by the rear galley door. This allows for DL's MD-80s to carry a few more seats, since it opens up some space between the galley and the rear lav on the port side.

Typically, aircraft manufacturers that build planes with 5 across seating in coach go 2+3. An airline has to request 3+2 seating. AA's MD-80s are 2+3, as were the F100s.

burnsie28

Wed May 25, 2005 1:42 pm

For one the MD-80 was not a DC-9 replacement, NW was more interested in finding a plane that was the same size as the DC-9-30 is, which is not the MD-80, so despite the relationship, and the small fleet, NW found it not cost effective enough and did not fit the mission that the DC-9 does.

lincoln

Wed May 25, 2005 2:40 pm

Thanks again for the replies!

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 6):
Typically, aircraft manufacturers that build planes with 5 across seating in coach go 2+3. An airline has to request 3+2 seating. AA's MD-80s are 2+3, as were the F100s.

One last (I hope!) question related to this topic: Could a 2+3 aircraft be converted to 3+2 (or vice versa) later on down the road without too much fuss or would the seat track be in such a radically different configuration that this wouldn't be possible without major work on the airline's part?

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 7):
For one the MD-80 was not a DC-9 replacement, NW was more interested in finding a plane that was the same size as the DC-9-30 is, which is not the MD-80, so despite the relationship, and the small fleet, NW found it not cost effective enough and did not fit the mission that the DC-9 does.

Ahh, of course. Thanks for clearing that up... I tend to fall into the trap of thinking "A DC-9 is a DC-9 is a DC-9 is an MD-80" without really paying as much attention to the series numbers as I should.

Lincoln

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos