norcal

Visiting The Boeing Factory

Wed May 25, 2005 7:33 am

I'm going to be flying into Everret field in a couple of weeks to visit the boeing factory. Any recomendations out there on places to stay, eat, or sights to see? Any FBOs you recommend parking at on the field? Should I file IFR, or is the weather pretty good this time of the year?

thanks

NorCal

GQfluffy

RE: Visiting The Boeing Factory

Wed May 25, 2005 8:13 am

Eh, I dunno, just taxi over to the Boeing ramp and park next to a 777. I'm sure your a/c will be taken care of...in one way or another.

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

ltbewr

Wed May 25, 2005 8:34 am

Probably your best bet is to find the website for the airport there and the Boeing website for the Everett tours info.
Just to prewarn you, you cannot bring any cell phones, radios, cameras, recording devices on the Boeing tours. I took the tour last year (late August) and it was a very good experience. I saw the 747 line. Your best bet is to get at the tour center by 8:30 am, so to get a good chance for tickets (especially for the 1st/2nd tours) The airport at Everett is adjacent to the area where painting and final checks are done, the 'big shop' is across the road. You may need a car to get to places to stay, there are several budget/moderate priced motels about 5 miles east of the plant. You will probably need a rental car to get around, but maybe taxis are available. Seattle is about 25 miles away. If you get a chance, see the Museum of Flight at Boeing/King County field (about midway between downtown Seattle and SeaTac airport). You can probably fly into Boeing/King County airport as handles GA's too.

Type-Rated

Wed May 25, 2005 10:58 pm

Also, don't forget the "Museum of Flight Restoration Center" at Paine Field, which is just down the road from the 747 facility. It is worth a trip in itself. They have a few unusual types of birds there (Boeing 247, Beech Starship, Comet IV, etc.)
At Paine Field they also have a nice restaurant (hamburgers & stuff) that has a deck overlooking the GA part of Paine Field. It's kind of nice to sit there, have a beer or two with your hamburger and watch the airplanes come and go in the sun with the mountains as a backdrop. You won't be disapponted!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

COEWR

Thu May 26, 2005 2:15 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 3):
At Paine Field they also have a nice restaurant (hamburgers & stuff) that has a deck overlooking the GA part of Paine Field. It's kind of nice to sit there, have a beer or two with your hamburger and watch the airplanes come and go in the sun with the mountains as a backdrop. You won't be disappointed!

Sorry to disappoint, but the JetDeck closed about a month ago.

The tour is a pretty good experience. The people that came to visit me here in Everett liked it. You see the 747 line after seeing a video. Then they drive you across the "Boeing Freeway" to see the flight line. If you are coming soon there are a few good planes sitting out there (A KAL 777 just got rolled out from the factory, an ANA Cargo 747 is also sitting out there along with a Vietnam Airlines 777...at least those were there this morning on my way to work!)...

If you are going to be in town and want to meet up let me know

SATL382G

Thu May 26, 2005 2:32 am

There's a company building new ME262s at Paine. Don't know if they do tours or not but might be worth checking into. Maybe catch a test flight.

www.stormbirds.com
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

aeroweanie

Thu May 26, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 5):
There's a company building new ME262s at Paine. Don't know if they do tours or not but might be worth checking into. Maybe catch a test flight.

I don't know if they give tours. They know me, so I just walk in. #1 is flying and #2 is close to flight status. They are down at the south end of the field. The Goodrich maintenance facility is also down there and there is always stuff to see on the ramp.

Bummer to here the Jet Deck closed - I had lunch there just a month or two ago.

ER757

Thu May 26, 2005 10:02 am

If you have the time, head down the hill to the Mukilteo ferry and take the 15 minute ride over to Whidbey Island. If you drive on, take the main road about 20 miles and look for he signs for Fort Casey State Park. Real nice side trip if you've got about half a day to kill (say you go to the tour center @ 8:00 and get tix for the 3:00 tour or something like that).

airlinelover

Thu May 26, 2005 10:51 am

No CAMERAS? Why the hell not?

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

norcal

Thu May 26, 2005 11:08 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 8):
CAMERAS? Why the hell not?

To prevent industrial espionage

Thanks for the tips guys

RogerThat

Fri May 27, 2005 12:39 am

NorCal,

How close to Mount St. Helens can you safely get? Take some aerial photos and post up here on a.net. She's getting ready to blow her stack soon (in geological terms) so be careful.

I flew over top of her on a Western 727 in 1983, IIRC.

The Boeing factory tour is well worth it. There was a no purses/backpack rule when I was there.

daedaeg

Fri May 27, 2005 12:48 am

Whatever you do don't stay at the Best Western or the Everett Inn. Actually try to find a hotel in Mulkiteo, much nicer area than Everett. Enjoy your trip.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

N60659

Fri May 27, 2005 12:51 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 2):
Your best bet is to get at the tour center by 8:30 am, so to get a good chance for tickets (especially for the 1st/2nd tours)

You can actually call the tour center ahead of time and reserve as well (as long as it is not for same day reservations).

Also, don't forget the "Museum of Flight Restoration Center" at Paine Field, which is just down the road from the 747 facility. It is worth a trip in itself. They have a few unusual types of birds there (Boeing 247, Beech Starship, Comet IV, etc.)

Absolutely. Don't miss this. In addition to this list, you could also add the very first 727 built as well (still in the old UA colors).

-N60659
Nec Dextrorsum Nec Sinistrorsum

akelley728

Fri May 27, 2005 4:36 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 8):
No CAMERAS? Why the hell not?

It's also to prevent FOD damage, and to protect the workers below. A tourist dropping a camera on a fuselage could do a lot of harm!

dl021

Fri May 27, 2005 10:37 am

Quoting COEWR (Reply 4):
Sorry to disappoint, but the JetDeck closed about a month ago.

Food was good, but the service left something to be desired. What happened to all the memorabilia? Will they reopen. I have difficulty seeing that field without a restaurant. Its too big and theres not much really close.

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 5):

Yes, they will do a tour, and ask for a donation. It is also right next to where they parked the B-52. Good photo ops there.

Also, don't forget the "Museum of Flight Restoration Center" at Paine Field

Good idea, but check the site to ascertain that it will be open on the days you want. It is not open to the public every day.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

N317AS

Fri May 27, 2005 11:08 am

Currently the B-52 is directly under the control tower. I'm sure by the time you get up here they will have moved it. If you are staying a few days, fly into PAE, do the Everett plant tour and the Museum of Flight (MoF) restoration tour. Then jump back in your plane and fly down to BFI. There you can see the 777-200LR if she isn't flying, 737s doing B2, B3 C1 flights or delivery flights,the actual MoF, the Concorde, close to SEA, fifteen minutes from Renton Field where the Boeing narrowbodies B1 from. Plus, we have way better places to stay than Everett. Let me know if you want more info.

Bill
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Jonathan L

Fri May 27, 2005 12:24 pm

I went on the Everett tour a week ago. It was quite interesting to see everything, though production on the 747 line was understandably light (I think two were being built.) I'm not sure what it would be like in mid-June, but I didn't have any problems getting a ticket at about 10:45am for the 11:00am tour. They do take phone reservations 24+ hours in advance for $10/ea if you're concerned about them selling out. (Walk-up tickets cost $5.)

[Edited 2005-05-27 05:28:06]

aeroweanie

Sat May 28, 2005 1:44 am

20 years ago, they did allow photos to be taken on the Everett tour:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Lednicer

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Lednicer