AirScoot
Topic Author

Continental Lite

Wed May 25, 2005 10:30 am

Does anyone know where I could find the routes that Continental Lite used to serve? I grew up in South Florida and remember them running out of FLL but the question is where else did they offer service?

quickmover

RE: Continental Lite

Wed May 25, 2005 12:35 pm

Didn't LITE have a hub at Piedmont triad?

aaway

Wed May 25, 2005 12:45 pm

Excerpted from the July 1, 1995 CO timetable:
From FLL:
CLE (1x daily - CO)
GSO (2x - CO Lite)
IAH (3x - CO)
JAX (2x - CO & CO Lite)
LAS (1x - CO)
EWR (7x - CO)
MCO (3x - CO Lite)
TPA (5x - CO & CO Lite)

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 1):
Didn't LITE have a hub at Piedmont triad?

Yes. This timetable shows 49 daily jet departures and another 20-25 prop departures. If I'm not mistaken, the CO-GSO hub was on its downward slide at this time. IIRC, CO once had 79 jet depratures from GSO during CO Lite's heyday.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

ramerinianair

Wed May 25, 2005 12:51 pm

All I know of CO lite is what I have seen here. I believe Quickmover is right: They had an idea to serve vacation destinations and S. Florida from triad . . . . It didn't work. They used a mix of DC-9s, 735s and 733s.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

jetpixx

Wed May 25, 2005 12:53 pm

I have been looking for a route map for "CALite", but have not been able to do so. I'd be interested in seeing this, too....I do know they served ATL, CLE, EWR, FLL, GSO, GSP, LGA, MIA and SDF among others.....DL and US (ironically enough) buried them and they pulled up stakes at GSO after a few years, crippling the airports in GSO and GSP.

Here are a couple of interesting articles perhaps.....

http://www.greensboro.com/97top50/airport.htm

http://www.dailymail.com/static/specialsections/airport/air1014a.htm
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LGA, M57, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

GroundStop

Wed May 25, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting RamerinianAir (Reply 3):
They used a mix of DC-9s, 735s and 733s.

There were also 73S's and a handful of 731's operating for Lite as well

JP

RDUDDJI

Wed May 25, 2005 1:14 pm

Minor mistake in dailymail article:

Article date shows October 14, 1997

"Raleigh, about 75 miles east of Greensboro, now benefits from the low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines."

RDU didn't have WN service in 1997. I believe WN showed up at RDU around 2000.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

PassBureauMgr

Wed May 25, 2005 1:17 pm

Back in the 80's After their bankruptcy, they started one called
"Continental West" flying in California, Washington, Oregon & Arizona.

MSYtristar

Wed May 25, 2005 2:26 pm

Overnight CO went from about 17 to about 60 departures a day from MSY. MSY-IAH service went all CO Lite with up to 20 flights a day, on DC-9's and 737's. MSY-SAT was flown four times daily with mainline M80's. Way too much. Lite even had four nonstops a day to GSP and two to the GSO hub. MCO/TPA were flown about six times daily each...they also had a nonstop to JAX, MDW, CLE (mainline), EWR (mainline) and LAX (mainline), plus CO Express EMB-120 service to LIT, PNS, and SHV. Just a ton of capacity was added.

ikramerica

Wed May 25, 2005 2:48 pm

come back west CO! Maybe with UA's troubles, there would be room for CO to return to serving the west as a region vs. as a destination.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed May 25, 2005 9:23 pm

Sorry Ikramerica,

There's no room for CO to start intra-west coast flying. Its still a very crowded market between WN, UA, AS, HP, Horizon, and AA to a small extent. Its a low-yield, cut-throat market that would be difficult for CO to compete. The fact they they fly so many ERJ's now days everywhere else, thats all it could be anyways. CO has a better plan for now.

jlp12345

Wed May 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Does anyone know what the destinations and frequencies of the GSO hub at it's peak?

tsnamm

Wed May 25, 2005 10:36 pm

they also had a lot of flights from BWI as well...they also used some MD-80's...problem for CO was that there was no distinction in the a/c being used and they ran the business travellers away because of no way to tell what was a CALite flt vs a mainline CO flt...brainchild of Robert Ferguson it nearly killed CO until Gordon set things straight...

Falcon84

Wed May 25, 2005 10:40 pm

Every time I see the words "Continetal Lite", I break into a cold sweat.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

September11

Wed May 25, 2005 10:56 pm

Quoting Jlp12345 (Reply 11):
frequencies of the GSO hub at it's peak?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Colin T. Ebert

Continental DC-10 in GSO?!?!

I did extensive search for Continental Lite jets here in a.net database... nothing came up in my search...
Airliners.net of the Future

tjwgrr

Wed May 25, 2005 11:04 pm

I remember Continental Lite......

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Cody

Thu May 26, 2005 5:41 am

Continental Lite had a lot of strange routes. I flew them once from BWI to MCO with a connection in Greensboro. I remember they occupied the entire North Concourse in GSO and you literally could not move inside the building because of all the people making connections.

The return leg from MCO to BWI involved a change of planes in Greenville/Spartanburg. So there are two strange routes alone; MCO-GSP and GSP-BWI. All flights were completely full.

Originally my schedule for the BWI-MCO leg involved a nonstop from BWI to ORF, another stop in CHS, and finally CHS to MCO. Continental called my house the night before to tell me about the schedule change.

Other routes I remember were GSP-MDW; GSO-DAY; DAY-STL; DEN-MDW; BOS, BWI, ATL, and CHS to GSO. Strange network indeed.

BHMNONREV

Thu May 26, 2005 5:50 am

Quoting Cody (Reply 16):
Other routes I remember were GSP-MDW; GSO-DAY; DAY-STL; DEN-MDW; BOS, BWI, ATL, and CHS to GSO. Strange network indeed.

You can add CHS-JAX to that mix as well. Short hop, decent service, and outstanding walk-up fares. I believe I paid either $59.00 or $69.00 in Oct 1994.

COEWR

Thu May 26, 2005 5:53 am

Didn't CO Lite offer the "Fly for peanuts" promotion? If I remember correctly it was something like buy one ticket at regular price and get another ticket for $0.01

--C

CAL

Thu May 26, 2005 6:01 am

Quoting COEWR (Reply 18):
Didn't CO Lite offer the "Fly for peanuts" promotion

They sure did and the reservations number was
1-800-PEANUTS

If you call that number today you still get Continental Reservations
CAL........Continental Airlines....... Work Hard, Fly Right

drerx7

Thu May 26, 2005 6:10 am

Yeah I remember the $.01 fare it was in competition to Southwest's 'friends fly free promotion' the thing with those fares is that one person would pay full fare and the other would fly for free or a penny.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

COEWR

Thu May 26, 2005 6:39 am

Quoting CAL (Reply 19):
They sure did and the reservations number was
1-800-PEANUTS

If you call that number today you still get Continental Reservations

Just dialed it...pre-recorded message now but it still says "thank you for calling CO". It gave the new reservations number as 1-800-525-0280 (not really a new number, that's the number I have been dialing for CO reservations for the last 15 years!)

--C

MSYtristar

Thu May 26, 2005 6:51 am

I think GSO used to store parts for CO's A300 and DC10 fleet. Neither plane ever served GSO on a scheduled basis. Odd eh?

COEWR

Thu May 26, 2005 6:54 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 22):
I think GSO used to store parts for CO's A300 and DC10 fleet. Neither plane ever served GSO on a scheduled basis. Odd eh?

I remember reading that in Gordon Bethune's book. It seems that they had extra space in their maintenance facilities there and the bean counters up top thought that was a good place to store the parts!

The book is called "From Worst to First..." its basically the story about how Gordon Bethune turned CO around. Really great read

--C

Cody

Thu May 26, 2005 8:15 am

Yes I took advantage of that "Add A Penny, Add A Pal" promotion. I had forgotten that. As I recall, I flew Round Trip BWI-MCO for $300.00 and added my best friend for a penny. We then split the fare between us.

Another route was BWI-BOS. After Continental dismantled the "Lite" brand, they eliminated most of the hip-hop routes and made GSO a full-fledged hub. They flew from GSO to DCA, BWI, MDW, DAY, CLE, IAH, MSY, MIA, FLL, PBI, MCO, RSW, JAX, CHS, GSP, LGA, EWR, BOS, ATL, BDL (I think), and TPA. They even had Continental Connection service to IAD and operated a crew base at GSO. Later, Continental sort of ran into a problem where they had too many hubs on the East Coast and GSO was shut down.

ikramerica

Thu May 26, 2005 8:32 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 10):
There's no room for CO to start intra-west coast flying. Its still a very crowded market between WN, UA, AS, HP, Horizon, and AA to a small extent. Its a low-yield, cut-throat market that would be difficult for CO to compete. The fact they they fly so many ERJ's now days everywhere else, thats all it could be anyways. CO has a better plan for now

I was thinking more LAX to Florida (MCO, TPA) and more Mexico (resort locations, not just business), maybe more Texas locations (colorado in winter, etc.). There are vacation markets to cherry pick from, and they already fly to HNL, and 5 mexico locations, as well as CLE/EWR/IAH. No need to try to compete along the coast, but would be nice not to have to connect in IAH to go to Vail or Tampa or Cancun during peak season. That's what I am saying about treating west like a location not a destination. Terminal 6 has room for more flights.

Not sure I buy the CO + Alaska merger idea. Last thing CO needs is all those MD80s. They just finally got rid of their last ones.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

flyboy7974

Thu May 26, 2005 9:29 am

the continental connection service was operated by gp express, a small commuter that use to thrive in the upper midwest, based in iowa i think. another route was gso-bhm i think, which did so well to pass dl's atl hub, that co eventually took it over

midway7

Thu May 26, 2005 9:54 am

Quoting COEWR (Reply 23):

Quoting COEWR (Reply 23):
Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 22):

I remember reading that in Gordon Bethune's book. It seems that they had extra space in their maintenance facilities there and the bean counters up top thought that was a good place to store the parts!

The book is called "From Worst to First..." its basically the story about how Gordon Bethune turned CO around. Really great read

I remember Gordon referenced AB3 service between GSO and GSP. Something like 6 flights a day, pretty much financial suicide. He also went on and on about how CO could not make money in any market with the AB3 and the high lease rates they were paying for the plane.

Gordon was the final nail in the coffin for CO and the AB3. If I remember they just parked them and paid off the leases as opposed to loosing money by operating them for the remainder of the lease terms.

Midway 7

gsoflyer

Thu May 26, 2005 12:50 pm

Well, I hate the CO Lite discussions because they really make GSO and GSP look incredibly bad.

What I remember of GSO is
From GSO:
DCA
BWI
MDW
DAY
CLE
CVG
IAH
MSY
PBI
MIA
FLL
MCO
RSW
JAX
CHS
GSP
CAE
LGA
EWR
BOS
ATL
BDL
TPA
TOL
IND
Louisville
PIT
TTN
Nashville
RDU
CLT
Norfolk
RIC

Probably more, but that was a long time ago.

Also, Southwest was in Raleigh well before 2000. They were well established in 1999 when I lived under the South approach to RDU. I really think it was 1997 because GSO and RDU were fighting over them as it was right after the demise of CO.

rduramper

Fri May 27, 2005 3:24 am

Seeing as WN is about to celebrate it's sixth anniversary at RDU next month I think it's safe to say they started operations in 1999.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives!

bigb

Fri May 27, 2005 3:34 am

I thought Continental Lite was part of a beer promotion when I was younger.
ETSN Baber, USN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos