mcdu

AA No Luxury Liner Anymore?

Thu May 26, 2005 5:37 am

Saw this photo and wondered why the Luxury Liner portion of the paint scheme was obliterated. Is this change or just a decaying decal?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...re%20ol%20ivrjf%20qrfp&photo_nr=41

MGA

RE: AA No Luxury Liner Anymore?

Thu May 26, 2005 5:38 am

No more Luxurt liner OR Jet... Havent sen those in a while...

You normally cant se that, but the sun reflection can do the trick...

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

ANCFlyer

Thu May 26, 2005 5:48 am

Thread on this not too long ago . . .

Decals cost $$$, just another cost cutting measure by AA.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

citationjet

Thu May 26, 2005 5:50 am

The Luxury Liners are no long "Luxury".
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...eral_aviation/read.main/1385242/4/

The Super 80s are no longer "Super".
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...eral_aviation/read.main/1588438/4/

[Edited 2005-05-25 22:53:22]
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Kahala777

Thu May 26, 2005 6:25 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
Decals cost $$$

Yeah another cost cutting technique to avoid the big boys upstairs from taking a pay decrease!  sarcastic 

In America, we will now have an airline similar to RyanAir. Its name, well we all know that it is called American Airlines  yes 

Regards - Kahala777

exFATboy

Thu May 26, 2005 6:42 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 4):
Yeah another cost cutting technique to avoid the big boys upstairs from taking a pay decrease!

In America, we will now have an airline similar to RyanAir. Its name, well we all know that it is called American Airlines

Ah, come on, it's just some stickers. Let's not exaggerate here.

If AA starts charging for water or sodas, or cuts baggage allowances to Ryanair levels, then you'll have a point.

Kahala777

Thu May 26, 2005 6:47 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 5):
If AA starts charging for water or sodas, or cuts baggage allowances to Ryanair levels, then you'll have a point.

Sadly enough, we all know that this may become a common practice for most airlines in the United States. American Airlines, is the one airline that everyone wanted to fly. Now, it is the same thing as Southwest, Jet Blue, Delta, and Northwest Airlines when it comes to domestic Economy service. In addition American Airlines, international economy product has been slipping greatly in recent years!

Regards - Kahala777

texdravid

Thu May 26, 2005 8:20 am

What do you guys expect?

When you combine AArogance with AArsinine business practices, you get the current AA.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Kahala777

Thu May 26, 2005 9:02 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 7):
When you combine AArogance with AArsinine business practices, you get the current AA.

Ha Ha.... What I would do to go back to the late 1990's and American Airlines.. The way it was!

cloudnine 

Regards - Kahala777

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu May 26, 2005 9:41 am

Why all the hate on AA all the sudden???

They are one of the better run legacy carriers right now.

flflyguy

Thu May 26, 2005 10:11 am

If people would go back to paying the fares that they paid in the 90's, perhaps you would see the American Airlines that you remember. We certainly remember the passengers.
The views expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer.

ikramerica

Thu May 26, 2005 10:19 am

It's nothing special in the air, and they no longer provide any luxury, nor anything super, so what's the big deal about losing the names? Big grin

I used to fly AA all the time, but no longer. Their 777first product is okay, except for broken seats (on two different planes), scratched PV displays, and less than luxurious materials. (this was on the pacific 777, the atlantic is one of the best first products in the world). the F/As are not too attentive, but the food is great up there.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

RDUDDJI

Thu May 26, 2005 10:36 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 4):
In America, we will now have an airline similar to RyanAir. Its name, well we all know that it is called American Airlines

Well AA doesn't have pay toilets yet...  Smile
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

TACAA320

Thu May 26, 2005 12:24 pm

Was AA luxury sometime?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

texdravid

Thu May 26, 2005 12:38 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 9):
Why all the hate on AA all the sudden???

They are one of the better run legacy carriers right now.

So that makes them the best of the worst?

Quoting FLFlyGuy (Reply 10):
If people would go back to paying the fares that they paid in the 90's, perhaps you would see the American Airlines that you remember. We certainly remember the passengers.

Yeah, and if AA and its employees went back to adequate service, maybe we would see the AA we remember. Who made you the mouthpiece for AA?

ckfred

Thu May 26, 2005 12:44 pm

Enough with the wisecracks about AA's service. If people understood that AA can't provide full service at Southwest fares and were willing to pay for a higher level of service, AA would be like it was in the 80s and 90s.

I still fly AA, because of watching Airline and seeing the class of people who fly Southwest.

As for the issue of decals, I figured that AA would get rid of the Luxury Jet and Luxury Liner decals when the 737s and 777s were first delivered in 1999. None of them had the decals.

texdravid

Thu May 26, 2005 1:13 pm

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 15):
I still fly AA, because of watching Airline and seeing the class of people who fly Southwest

You know for a guy who's sick of wisecracks about AA's service (which is well deserved by the way), you then make a snooty wisecrack about the people who fly Southwest.

FYI, jack, all sorts of people, rich/poor, black/poor, professional/loser all fly Southwest.

TACAA320

Thu May 26, 2005 2:41 pm

"I still fly AA, because of watching Airline and seeing the class of people who fly Southwest."

Can you be more specific?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

ikramerica

Thu May 26, 2005 3:35 pm

Enough with the wisecracks about SA)">AA's service. If people understood that SA)">AA can't provide full service at Southwest fares and were willing to pay for a higher level of service, SA)">AA would be like it was in the 80s and 90s.

AAs service started going south way before 9/11 or the low cost carrier excuse.

Going to Swizterland in 1998, they called to confirm my first class itinerary from Dayton through ORD to LHR to Geneva (BA segment). All was well. Thing is a few days later when I went to Dayton, turns out the flight I had booked (ORD to LHR in the evening) hadn't been running for months! I got stranded in ORD for a day, losing a day of my vacation (and then they flew me into Zurich and on to Geneva on swiss, instead). My first class return flight from LHR to ORD was awful. Attendents were rude and acted like they were doing me and the guy sitting next to me a favor by feeding us, and were nowhere to be found when we needed a drink or a new Hi8 tape.

The way they treated me after being stranded in key west for 5 days after Hurricane Georges was poor too (but not as bad as Delta). Getting stuck on the tarmac in Miami for two hours that same flight because the baggage handlers switched shift with the bags half on and the new crew decided not to show up was a hoot.

The gate staff's attitude and lack of professionalism during equipment related delays three times in a row at DFW was inexcusable. Flying our replacement F100 in from San Antonio on one occasion was a nice gesture, but leaving the cockpit window open in the rain and damaging the flight controls was a bit careless.

Then loudly chatting while first passengers are trying to sleep on the way to Tokyo in 2003 was just plain rude. And the broken seat on that flight for 11 hours was a joy. Lie flat is fun when one side of the seat keeps collapsing and waking you up until you "rehook" it. The fact that I told them about this on the way out, and we got the SAME PLANE 8 days later and they hadn't fixed it was in excusable for a $13k fare.

And the horrible state of the cabin in their 757 product is just not right, especially the first seats. Cramming 6 across on the 767 and calling it premium is a joke compared to how it used to be, too. It's like flying UA used to be. At least DL is ambivilent to customers rather than actively rude, and consistent in that regard.

But AAs 738 product is good, and the Atlantic 777 first cabin is a triumph. The crew needs to remember who pays the bills though. Even if the fares aren't as high as they were, it doesn't mean the people are worthless or are trying to cheat you. We are just paying the fares we are offered.

Even in the post 9/11, B6 HN world, CO doesn't treat people badly on a regular basis. Which is why I've become very loyal to them even if there are sometimes other more direct options. And before a few years ago, I would barely ever fly them. I was a half million AAdvantage miler (flown, many more 'earned'). Now I've used all my miles but 40k, and don't plan on earning any more, but I've accumed 150k flown miles on CO in 3+ years, all leisure...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ANX4fishing

Thu May 26, 2005 4:33 pm

I still fly AA, because of watching Airline and seeing the class of people who fly Southwest.

A bit provocative, don't you think?

I fly WN weekly, see all kinds of "classes". Specifically, which one do you oppose..?

ANX

soaringadi

Thu May 26, 2005 5:22 pm

Roger that !

Well said..... I'm there with you  Smile
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

LY4XELD

Thu May 26, 2005 8:46 pm

Its absolutely incredible how quickly these threads become an AA bashing session.  Yeah sure

ALL carriers have implemented cost cutting measures...AA is certainly in better condition compared to UA and DL.
That's why we're here.

cloud4000

Thu May 26, 2005 11:39 pm

Luxury? Nowadays air travel is nothing more than a bus with wings!!!  yuck 
Boston, USA

vermeer

Thu May 26, 2005 11:58 pm

people would go back to paying the fares that they paid in the 90's, perhaps you would see the American Airlines that you remember. We certainly remember the passengers.

while I understand the needs of AA to cut costs, as a premium passenger the company problems should not be mine. I am glad you remembered the passengers, I was one of them. Now I happily fly the competition on Transatlantic (with a much much better premium product as well). I really wish AA all the best and I am happy not to consider them anymore as well for my travels

goomba

Fri May 27, 2005 12:16 am

Bollocks!

I'd put AA up against any other legacy carrier across the pond any day of the week.

Try flying UA, DL, CO, US or NW across vs. AA and you'll easily see what I mean.

The extra legroom that AA gives their passengers is enough to validate this argument by itself.

Example:

DL 777 (old and new config) - 58 total rows of seats.
AA 777 - only 43 total rows of seats.

Need I say more?

ord

Fri May 27, 2005 1:00 am

Quoting Goomba (Reply 24):
The extra legroom that AA gives their passengers is enough to validate this argument by itself.

AA is getting rid of MRTC. There is no more extra legroom. AA is now the same in coach as all other U.S. carriers. The exception is United's Economy Plus, which provides more legroom in coach than AA.

vermeer

Fri May 27, 2005 1:41 am

Goomba,
I am sorry for not having been clearer in my post. First of all I was talking about premium products and second the term "competition" did not expressely refer to US "legacy" carriers.
As stated I use what I feel are much better products for my needs and pleasure than what AA can provide me. We live reciprocally well.

AirEMS

Fri May 27, 2005 1:42 am

Quick question here after the AA Flt 191 crash on ORD didn't AA remove all of the Luxury Liner DC-10 decal from its fleet due to public fear?

Fly Safe
-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

PRAirbus

Fri May 27, 2005 1:48 am

This subject has been previously discussed...anyway, it's a cost cutting measure, less paint, less money spent. It also reflects what most customers want not so more "luxury" rather than a lower fare. But AA is still a full service carrier due to its international network.

aacun

Fri May 27, 2005 1:50 am

The DC10 only carried the Luxury Liner sticker after the crash in ORD. The DC10 part was dropped.

AA7573E

Fri May 27, 2005 1:53 am

It's really amazing to hear the complaints that people have, knowing full well that 75% of you have never paid for a full fair ticket, and 95% of start all your airfare searches on a discount website, and end up buying the cheapest ticket.

Simply put, if you would stop being so cheap and demanding everything for a rock bottom price, there would be leverage for price to product stabilization in the market. It is currently too commoditized, and driven by your inane obsession with flying as cheaply as possible, and then wanting to complain about what you get once on board.

Even with the MRTC format backed out of the fleet, AA has as much, and in most cases, more legroom than any standard economy product for a US airline flying. (They took out two rows from coach and only added one back in...Do the math). Their International first class product is required (through alliance with BA) to match BA's product, and is one of the finest Trans Atlantic offerings on the market. Their business class product is more than competitive with current offerings from other carriers, and is due shortly for major upgrades and improvements.

If you don't like them, don't fly them. But to bash them for cutting back service, when your inability to stomach fare increases is the cause for all legacy carriers cutting back service levels, shows that you completely lack the ability to grasp the very basic business principals at play here.
See you up front!

LY4XELD

Fri May 27, 2005 2:09 am

AA can't be as bad as participants on this thread perceive it. AA won best Economy class product in this year's OAG rankings. It's certainly better than no award at all.

http://www.oag.com/Airline+of+the+Year/current_winners_2005

(Congrats to CO on their awards!)
That's why we're here.

vermeer

Fri May 27, 2005 2:15 am

Feel free to put me in the 25% of the people who shell out the money themselves for travelling C ( and rarely F). I don't demand rock bottom prices, as a matter of fact the C class price raises always so often of few hundred dollars and as you say I still "stomach" it. It is ( as always) a matter of opinions if AA's business product is "more than competitive" than the one of other carriers. For me it's not - and on so many different levels.
I cannot speak for AA First, only for BA First ( flown twice in the past 6 months) and frankly - apart from the gorgeous seat - it is nothing to talk home about especially after the latest series of cuts.
As I have already stated before I don't like them and I don't fly them, as simple as that

vinceb1117

Fri May 27, 2005 3:10 am

They had to remove the decals do to legal reasons. It was considered false adverstising. They will be replaced with Near LuxuryLiner, Averagejet, and Not so Super 80.  Big grin

goomba

Fri May 27, 2005 3:11 am

Once again - MRTC aside. AA's 777 has 43 rows and DL's with 58. Tell me again how AA isn't beating them with "less rows". Less rows = more space.

Just flew AA to LHR a month ago and DL to CDG the month before that. Spend a bit of time back and forth to Eurpoe (paying full coach fare) each time might I add. AA has the best service and most legroom (I'm 6'5" tall) than any other carrier over and back in my opinion.

The only other airline that comes close is BA. BA's service is better than AA's, but the legroom isn't even close unless you upgrade to Economy plus.

BTW - when you fly AA-777. I strongly recommend row 42. A or J preferrably (window seats). You have a large space behind the seat for personal storage, you are very close to the lav (albeit little to no passenger traffic waiting next to your seat), and the comfort of resting next to a window.

Catatonic

Fri May 27, 2005 3:56 am

Quoting Goomba (Reply 34):
BTW - when you fly AA-777. I strongly recommend row 42. A or J preferrably (window seats). You have a large space behind the seat for personal storage, you are very close to the lav (albeit little to no passenger traffic waiting next to your seat), and the comfort of resting next to a window.

Seat guru says thats a crappy seat because of the curvature of the plane and the noise from the toilets. I would imaging you would get the odd whiff of allsorts too.
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

jtamu97

Fri May 27, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting Mcdu (Thread starter):
Saw this photo and wondered why the Luxury Liner portion of the paint scheme was obliterated

Nothing a little silver Duct Tape can't fix and that stuff lasts!!!  Big grin
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

goomba

Fri May 27, 2005 4:29 am

Seat guru says thats a crappy seat because of the curvature of the plane and the noise from the toilets. I would imaging you would get the odd whiff of allsorts too.

SeatGuru - while a very handy website for education is not the pure "authority" for making seat decisions.

42AJ are great seats on AA 777. Wouldn't have wasted my time telling all of you about it if they weren't.

vermeer

Fri May 27, 2005 10:31 am

Quoting Vinceb1117 (Reply 33):
They had to remove the decals do to legal reasons. It was considered false adverstising. They will be replaced with Near LuxuryLiner, Averagejet, and Not so Super 80.

Quoting Jtamu97 (Reply 36):
Nothing a little silver Duct Tape can't fix and that stuff lasts!!!

rotfl 

Goomba, I am not sure if with your answer you were replying to my post. I haven't compared AA with DL.

TACAA320

Fri May 27, 2005 10:49 pm

"The only other airline that comes close is BA. BA's service is better than AA's, but the legroom isn't even close unless you upgrade to Economy plus."

You can't compare AA with BA. The first one is crap compared with the second one.

nyskymasters

Sat May 28, 2005 12:17 am

It's amazing to me how quick all of you that bash AA or any other airline are to state how rude, how bad the legroom is, etc.... Do all of us employees a favor. Fly whoever makes you happy, I'm amazed at how you all are so quick to complain about small things when you fly. If you want to have all the extras you used to then charter a private jet, otherwise we do the best we can under the circumstances we fly under. There are approx 100k people that count on AA for their paycheck, and in order to remain somewhat competitive something has to give. Especially when oil prices are at the rate they are, and employees have given an amazing amount of givebacks between wages and work rules.

When your boss says to you, I can give you a 50% wage cut and you can keep your office or cut your wages only 20% if you move to a cubicle...see what you say. As an employee I wish we could provide the services we once did, but it isn't going to happen at today's prices and unfair competition. JetBlue gets a tax break at JFK after we have been serving the airport for years...how is that fair? We sell a ticket to get you from point A to point B, that's it, and we do it safely, everything else is pure gravy. Extra room, ife systems are marketing tools and are not promised in our contract of carriage.

Those of you that feel we are rude, non-caring, take a look at how we get treated, trust me and the stack of letters I have received, if you show me the least bit of respect I will do everything in my power to make sure you enjoy your flight. For those that think you pay my check and that's you attitude....well just do us both a favor and fly someone else, if your that self-important you have no business flying with the masses.

AEROFAN

Sat May 28, 2005 12:44 am

Talking about oxymoronic statements. Some people have the nerve. When was any of AAs flight or planes considered luxury? It's about time they came back to realty

TACAA320

Sat May 28, 2005 12:56 am

Quoting Nyskymasters (Reply 40):
take a look at how we get treated,

By your employer, not by the passengers.

nyskymasters

Sat May 28, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 42):
By your employer, not by the passengers.

Actually, what's between my employer and I are my own issues which I deal with simply, If I don't want to work for them I don't have to. However in recent history I can only say that for all my company's downfalls , they are in the business to make money and that's all we as employees care about. We want to get a paycheck, and whatever our company has to do to ensure that is fine by me, I have given up the illusion of grandeur a long time ago. I was speaking of our passengers....

mtnmanmakalu

Sat May 28, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting AA7573E (Reply 30):
It's really amazing to hear the complaints that people have, knowing full well that 75% of you have never paid for a full fair ticket, and 95% of start all your airfare searches on a discount website, and end up buying the cheapest ticket.

Simply put, if you would stop being so cheap and demanding everything for a rock bottom price, there would be leverage for price to product stabilization in the market. It is currently too commoditized, and driven by your inane obsession with flying as cheaply as possible, and then wanting to complain about what you get once on board.

Amen.... The Airline bashing is getting ridiculous.... And what does all this hate have to do with the original post? 99% of the people bashing EVERY Airline one way or another has never worked for ANY Airline and don't have a clue...
This supposed to be a fun forum, but the anger gets in every post a few responses in- incredible...

BTW- I like the "Luxury Liner" or "Luxury Jet" moniker on the AA aircraft, but as an Airline employee, I understand the cost cutting is hitting every aspect of the Companies...

mtnman

[Edited 2005-05-27 18:18:40]
I do, I don't, whatever.......

TACAA320

Sat May 28, 2005 1:15 am

Quoting AA7573E (Reply 30):
Their International first class product is required (through alliance with BA) to match BA's product, and is one of the finest Trans Atlantic offerings on the market.

Really? This must be a joke. And a bad one.

[Edited 2005-05-27 18:44:57]

texdravid

Sat May 28, 2005 11:25 am

Quoting Nyskymasters (Reply 40):
It's amazing to me how quick all of you that bash AA or any other airline are to state how rude, how bad the legroom is, etc.... Do all of us employees a favor. Fly whoever makes you happy, I'm amazed at how you all are so quick to complain about small things when you fly. If you want to have all the extras you used to then charter a private jet, otherwise we do the best we can under the circumstances we fly under. There are approx 100k people that count on AA for their paycheck, and in order to remain somewhat competitive something has to give. Especially when oil prices are at the rate they are, and employees have given an amazing amount of givebacks between wages and work rules.

When your boss says to you, I can give you a 50% wage cut and you can keep your office or cut your wages only 20% if you move to a cubicle...see what you say. As an employee I wish we could provide the services we once did, but it isn't going to happen at today's prices and unfair competition. JetBlue gets a tax break at JFK after we have been serving the airport for years...how is that fair? We sell a ticket to get you from point A to point B, that's it, and we do it safely, everything else is pure gravy. Extra room, ife systems are marketing tools and are not promised in our contract of carriage.

Those of you that feel we are rude, non-caring, take a look at how we get treated, trust me and the stack of letters I have received, if you show me the least bit of respect I will do everything in my power to make sure you enjoy your flight. For those that think you pay my check and that's you attitude....well just do us both a favor and fly someone else, if your that self-important you have no business flying with the masses.

After you get done feeling sorry for yourself, I for one do pay for business and first class service, and get lousier service than coach was in the 1970's.

A lot of frequent flyers like myself, business flyers all say the same thing. The airline industry needs to look in the mirror and realize that they are treating their customers poorly and if they don't look out, they will suffer the consequences. By the way, YOU are the one with the attitude. Your tired harangue probably is the same way you act at work.

vermeer

Sat May 28, 2005 11:41 am

Nyskymaster,
without getting way too off topic, don't you think that the problem is definitely of a surpassed business model for the specific airline you are working for?
I work in sales and I cannot bring my frustration up to the customer. My problems, the ones of my company have nothing to do with the customer. At the end of the story they don't need me, I need them.
Now...back to the luxuryliner...great name while it lasted.

Skydrol

Sat May 28, 2005 11:42 am

"Luxury Liner" to be replaced with "Econoliner"; awaiting AA getting the rights for the Econoline name from Ford. But this could ruin the name, because at least with Ford's van you can get food service at a drive-through.  Wink

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

TACAA320

Sat May 28, 2005 3:23 pm

"After you get done feeling sorry for yourself, I for one do pay for business and first class service, and get lousier service than coach was in the 1970's.

A lot of frequent flyers like myself, business flyers all say the same thing. The airline industry needs to look in the mirror and realize that they are treating their customers poorly and if they don't look out, they will suffer the consequences. By the way, YOU are the one with the attitude. Your tired harangue probably is the same way you act at work."[reply 46]
"Nyskymaster,
without getting way too off topic, don't you think that the problem is definitely of a surpassed business model for the specific airline you are working for?
I work in sales and I cannot bring my frustration up to the customer. My problems, the ones of my company have nothing to do with the customer. At the end of the story they don't need me, I need them.
Now...back to the luxuryliner...great name while it lasted."[reply 47]
--------------------------------
Both replies photographically described the typical attitude asummed by many AA employees in the last years.
"...We sell a ticket to get you from point A to point B, that's it, and we do it safely, everything else is pure gravy. Extra room, ife systems are marketing tools and are not promised in our contract of carriage..."[reply 40]
Very bad way to do business. Such "gravy" other carriers offer, makes the difference between a crappy airline and the others.
"Fly whoever makes you happy, I'm amazed at how you all are so quick to complain about small things when you fly. If you want to have all the extras you used to then charter a private jet, otherwise we do the best we can under the circumstances we fly under."[reply 40]
----------------------------------
Small things? Come on!

By the way, small "things" that I prefer to call "details" makes great differences.
----------------------------------
"For those that think you pay my check and that's you attitude....well just do us both a favor and fly someone else, if your that self-important you have no business flying with the masses" [reply 40]

Of course. I will gladly fly a better one. They are lot of them with a different attitude toward passengers.