JetSOUTHEAST
Topic Author

Atlanta's Evolving Concourse C

Fri May 27, 2005 3:27 pm

I have been traveling through ATL many many times this last year, and I noticed ASA is touting their "New Concourse C". Will this affect C-South, where AirTran is? ASA claims they are installing new "Delta" carpet on the concourse, and I am wondering if this goes all the way down, to South. I noticed AirTran has not said anything on their end about this "New Concourse". I saw the proposed plan, looks nice, which has the present gatehouses bumped outwards 50 feet and connected to the concourse by a glass corridor, and the end, where the escalators are (The mess called C34-36) is going to have a 3 story glass wall and numerous RJ gates.

FlyFL

RE: Atlanta's Evolving Concourse C

Fri May 27, 2005 9:51 pm

The entire councourse has recently recieved a little sprucing up in the form of a new ceiling with recessed light fixtures, A/C ducts and the like. I have heard that Airtran is courting new concessionaires for their end of the concourse, but haven't heard anything about new carpeting. I do wish they would replace the chairs in the gate areas with something more comfortable, but I guess there are more important things to spend money on.

toltommy

Fri May 27, 2005 9:56 pm

Does FL really have any say in concession on their part of the concourse? Thought those were all give out by the airport. I remember when former mayor Maynard Jackson's wife got the Chili's franchise on B....

FLAIRPORT

Fri May 27, 2005 10:42 pm

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 2):
I remember when former mayor Maynard Jackson's wife got the Chili's franchise on B....

So, is that why its called Hartsfield-JAckson? I mean, they could have just called it the Maynard Jackson Chili's at Concourse B!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

jrlander

Fri May 27, 2005 11:24 pm

The renovation will only be of ASA's area. It will also include a new Crown Room Club, in the old Eastern Club space.

gr8slvrflt

AirTran Expands At Las Vegas

Fri May 27, 2005 11:31 pm

AirTran is working on renovating the southside of C as well. New carpeting and/or terrazzo flooring, new wall coverings and possibly new computerized gate displays. AirTran will also be reconfiguring the ramp so that all gates on C will be able to handle winglet-equipped 737s.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

litz

Fri May 27, 2005 11:33 pm

I remember when former mayor Maynard Jackson's wife got the Chili's franchise on B....

I thought B concourse has a Fridays, which is Jackson-family owned ...

Good place to eat, btw - the view out the back wall of inter-concourse operations is only beat by the view from the Crown Rooms.

- litz

grrtvc

Sat May 28, 2005 1:28 am

It is true AirTran has been looking at several options for C-Concourse. I wouldn't hold your breath on when that happens.

The process started almost two-years ago looking at what needed to be done. The biggest issue was the flooring.

AirTran's mentality is if it doesn't effect the customer then money doesn't need to be spent, i.e. level of service. The planes are new and that is what the passenger is paying for, not carpet in an airport. I'm not saying this in an bashing way but they would prefer to paint the concrete floors, remove all the seats, and take away anything else that doesn't a customer doesn't "pay" for.

One could argue that this is why some of the larger carries, aside from labor issues, are in the trouble they are. They spent money on airline clubs and the likes to try and attract passengers. Yes customers do pay a fee to have a club but I can't imagine that there are enough fees paid to cover the costs of the number of clubs in the system.

The philosophy of AirTran is good and bad. It saves money, cuts costs, and keeps airfares low. New, clean planes but at what expense.

It boils down to this. AirTran won't do anything until one of two things happens. Either the passenger demands it, unlikely. Or the airport does it for them.

IAHERJ

Sat May 28, 2005 2:00 am

Grrtvc

You hit the nail on the head. That is a true post and being an employee of AirTran I don't take offense to it at all. That is how this airline does things for the most part. Very stingy with money. It has kept us out of trouble financially.

IAHERJ
Actually flown: EMB-120 EMB-145 B717 B737 B757 B767

Midway2AirTran

Sat May 28, 2005 2:17 am

Quoting IAHERJ (Reply 8):
That is how this airline does things for the most part. Very stingy with money. It has kept us out of trouble financially.

I wouldn't say "stingy", more like critical which impresses the stockholders and keeps the employees employed, what a balance! Money is spent most where it returns the most. Not trying to achieve lousy revenue-lacking marketshare and be master of the Airline Universe. It should show great results in a nice cash flow in years to come.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

tinpusher007

Sat May 28, 2005 3:25 am

Quoting Gr8SlvrFlt (Reply 5):
AirTran will also be reconfiguring the ramp so that all gates on C will be able to handle winglet-equipped 737s.

I disticntly remember reading an article where Airtran CEO Joe Leonard (I think thats his name) was quoted as saying "frankly we just can't make the numbers work for us." when he was asked about FL getting blended winglets for their 737's.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

gr8slvrflt

Sat May 28, 2005 3:45 am

I disticntly remember reading an article where Airtran CEO Joe Leonard (I think thats his name) was quoted as saying "frankly we just can't make the numbers work for us." when he was asked about FL getting blended winglets for their 737's.

Yes, he did but that was about $15 ago on the price of oil. The latest heard was the leased 73Gs, at least, will be getting wingletted soon.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

srbmod

Sat May 28, 2005 4:21 am

Chili's is on D, and there is a Chili's Too on A.

On AirTran's end of C there are the following places to get something to eat:

Popeye's
Charley's Steakery
Miller Lite Victory Lane
Seattle's Best

And places you can get snacks:

vending machines by C-8
CNN Newstand @ C-17
News Connection @ C-14

The problem with AirTran's end is the lack of space in which to put any additional eating places. When they built Charley's back in 2000, they took out several offices in order to put that resturant in. Other than where Tran Land is, there really isn't a spot they could use other than that dead space underneath the end of C South where Eastern Metro Express went out of back in the day (When I worked @ FL, the 1A/4 crew used to hang out down there to keep out of the weather.).

BH

Sat May 28, 2005 6:19 am

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 10):

From what I understand FL will have about 10-12 737's fitted with the winglets. I guess they are seeing that on some of their newer longer routes they will be very beneficial.

tinpusher007

Sat May 28, 2005 8:44 am

Quoting Gr8SlvrFlt (Reply 11):
Yes, he did but that was about $15 ago on the price of oil. The latest heard was the leased 73Gs, at least, will be getting wingletted soon.

Quoting BH (Reply 13):
From what I understand FL will have about 10-12 737's fitted with the winglets. I guess they are seeing that on some of their newer longer routes they will be very beneficial.

Thanx for the update fellas...maybe winglets will make those planes look a little better in that absolutely HORRENDOUS paint scheme....but they're making money so...
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."