Beaucaire
Topic Author

New Ryanair Base In Bournemouth?

Fri May 27, 2005 7:31 pm

I found on Pprune a post that speaks about three aircraft to be based in Bournemouth with following destinations :

Bournemouth base with 3 B737-800's

Nimes NEW!
Biarittz NEW!
Milan NEW!
Rome NEW!
Murcia NEW!
Stockholm NEW!
Oslo NEW!
Glasgow Prestwick
Dublin
Barcelona Girona
Bergerac NEW!

any confirmation of that ?
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

7LBAC111

RE: New Ryanair Base In Bournemouth?

Fri May 27, 2005 7:55 pm

Where is Pe@rson and Jimmi (European)??

They'll know for sure.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

cornish

Fri May 27, 2005 8:03 pm

Interesting if true. Remember Buzz announced plans to open a base at Bournemouth, just prior to the Ryanair takeover. Ryanair scrapped the idea once they took control and just kept a couple of routes.

Maybe they've decided the time is right now.....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 8:48 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 2):
Remember Buzz announced plans to open a base at Bournemouth, just prior to the Ryanair takeover. Ryanair scrapped the idea once they took control and just kept a couple of routes.

Indeed. But that was sometime ago.

I would not be surprised if BOH did indeed become a base. I imagine that its catchment area must be relatively large, what with Southampton, Portsmouth, Bournemouth itself, Salisbury, etc., all being relatively close.

3 738 machines seem too much to operate those proposed routes, so I wonder whether additional routes would operate.

Nimes NEW! - probably not daily
Biarittz NEW! - probably not daily
Milan NEW! - should be daily
Rome NEW! - should be daily
Murcia NEW! - possibly daily, but perhaps not
Stockholm NEW! - should be daily
Oslo NEW! - probably daily
Glasgow Prestwick
Dublin
Barcelona Girona
Bergerac NEW! - probably not daily
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

7LBAC111

Fri May 27, 2005 8:58 pm

Are there any other major LCC's based at BOH? Thomsonfly is in my mind for some reason!

7LBAC111

Orion737

Fri May 27, 2005 9:02 pm

capacity wise the 732s would be better suited to BOH routes than the 738s which carry another 60 pax!

Bet FR will soon wish they had took some 73-7s or bought some old 735s to replace the 732s on thinner routes.

Londoncenter

Fri May 27, 2005 9:03 pm

Thomson does fly from BOH and has done for a couple of months now but I don't know how well they're doing load wise. As said above the catchment area for BOH should be pretty good with three large cities/towns in the area and anywhere further west of BOH I'm sure would rather travel there than LGW which is quite a trek!

I know I'd fly from BOH more often if the destinations were there. Come on Ryanair, sort it out!

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 9:11 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 5):
Bet FR will soon wish they had took some 73-7s or bought some old 735s to replace the 732s on thinner routes.

No offence, but I think MOL - who's an extremely intelligent accountant and graduated from Ireland's best university - knows exactly what he is doing, not least because he has a good share in the firm (so a bad decision would earn him less money - so he has a personal involvement) but also because he's rated in the top 25 businesspeople in the world. Evidence alone - namely that FR is extremely profitable, something which is increasing annually - confirms all this.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

7LBAC111

Fri May 27, 2005 9:14 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 5):

I might be completely wrong, but doesnt the -700 need just one less cabin crew than the -800? However that extra crew member can generate additional revenue (somebody said this elsewhere recently) and thus eliminates a large portion of the extra cost involved, while at the same time allowing X number more seats at peak times?.

7LBAC111

[Edited 2005-05-27 14:15:26]

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 9:18 pm

On a different note, FR were, a few years ago, apparently (according to my local news station) going to start a base at NQY. That does, of course, seem far less likely to happen. I would expect BOH to become a base, but probably with 2 738 machines UNLESS the currently served destinations, namely DUB, PIK and GRO, will be operated by BOH-based aircraft, in which case 3 machines seem likely.

If BOH does become a base, then FR will have 5 UK bases: STN, LTN, BOH, LPL and PIK.

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 9:26 pm

I wonder whether SNN would be served from BOH. Seems like a likely destination, in the future if not right away. I would certainly also expect additional Spanish destinations, like SVQ and GRX, and possibly SDR and SCQ, in the future, if BOH does indeed become a base.

[Edited 2005-05-27 14:28:54]

Orion737

Fri May 27, 2005 9:30 pm

Well Pe@rson MOL may be among the top 25 businessmen but he is certinly not in the top 25 gentelmen. He has all the charm of a dungbeetle and awful manners.

7LBAC111

Fri May 27, 2005 9:35 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 11):
Well Pe@rson MOL may be among the top 25 businessmen but he is certinly not in the top 25 gentelmen. He has all the charm of a dungbeetle and awful manners

I don't see what MOL's manners (or lack of) has to do with the success of Ryanair? True - few of us like him, but he has to be admired for the enormous changes he and a few other airline bosses have brought to the UK (and European) air travel industry.

7LBAC111

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 11):
Well Pe@rson MOL may be among the top 25 businessmen but he is certinly not in the top 25 gentelmen. He has all the charm of a dungbeetle and awful manners.

Taken from your extreme knowledge of him, I presume? I will bet you £100 that he is quite the opposite in his personal life. Business demands a hard-hitter with the killer instinct. This is how he has achieved over £500 million wealth and how he (with others) has transformed the European aviation scene. While manners are important (especially in everyday life), they per se will not enable you to succeed. The same goes for being a gentleman.

[Edited 2005-05-27 14:39:48]

Orion737

Fri May 27, 2005 9:53 pm

I dont admire pople for who they are but for how they behave! MOL statements and comments show him to be far from a gentleman.

I think Pe@rson idolisation of MOL borders on the extreme. I hate to tell Pe@rson but MOL is now married and spoken for Big grin

[Edited 2005-05-27 14:54:06]

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 10:14 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 14):
I think Pe@rson idolisation of MOL borders on the extreme. I hate to tell Pe@rson but MOL is now married and spoken for

Umm, I don't think so, but I wouldn't mind having some of his cash. A few thousand wouldn't be bad.  Wink

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 14):
I dont admire pople for who they are but for how they behave! MOL statements and comments show him to be far from a gentleman.

LOL. In a personal context, yes, but ability comes before being a gentleman when in comes to business. You could have the nicest gentleman, but if he is a useless leader he won't get the job. What you need, then, is a combination of the two.

Anyway, let's get back to discussing BOH.

Orion737

Fri May 27, 2005 10:16 pm

Ok back to BOH (I still reckon you want to bum him Big grin)

If FR goes ahead with these proposed routes are we going to see a cut back in charter/IT services from BOH?

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 10:20 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 16):
(I still reckon you want to bum him

To do that I'd have to be either gay or bisexual, of which I am neither, much to your sadness (I can tell that you fancy me rotten, mainly for my views on a certain Irish airline.  Wink  Silly LOL).

PlymSpotter

Fri May 27, 2005 10:29 pm

Yeah, in a few hours Jimmi should have cycled back from school and be ready to reply Wink If these new routes go ahead it should be great news for BOU, but also the South West in General. I know NQY has a couple of FR flights a day, the new BMI Baby ones starting soon, and EXT has FlyBe but most people down here fly from BRS, if there was the option of flying from BOU (even cheaper) I am sure this would be a very attractive prospect considering how deprived most of the SW is! From say, Plymouth to Bristol it is 110 miles, to Bournemouth it is 131 miles, not much of an issue here either.

Just my £0.02,

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 10:36 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 18):
I know NQY has a couple of FR flights a day

Aye, two per day to STN.

[quote=PlymSpotter,reply=18]From say, Plymouth to Bristol it is 110 miles, to Bournemouth it is 131 miles, not much of an issue here either.[quote]

Good point, Mr! I forgot about the SW (funny, as I'm a SWer!). From EXT to BOH, it'll be about 87 miles. From EXT to BRS, it'd be about 86 miles. From Truro to BRS, it'd be about 170 miles, where to BOH it'd be about 173 miles. From Barnstaple (my hometown!) to BOH, it'd be about 116 miles, or about 98 miles to BRS - but hey, only a small distance extra. From BRS to BOH, it'd be about 80 miles.

cornish

Fri May 27, 2005 10:39 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 19):
From Truro to BRS, it'd be about 170 miles, where to BOH it'd be about 173

Yes but it'd take a darn sight longer to get to BOH than to BRS as the M5 up to BRS is much quicker than the roads to BOH from Exeter.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 10:57 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 20):
Yes but it'd take a darn sight longer to get to BOH than to BRS as the M5 up to BRS is much quicker than the roads to BOH from Exeter.

Of course, but hey.  Smile

PlymSpotter

Fri May 27, 2005 11:07 pm

Ah but the M5 is not the nicest of roads to drive, and you still have a fair bit on the old country roads from Sedgemoor to Lulsgate. I flew from BOU last summer and made it there in just under three hours from Plymouth, I haven't driven from Plymouth to Bristol Airport for about 10 years, but when I missed the last flight from BRS-PLH a few weeks ago my mother (grudgingly) made a round trip in just under 6 hours - but that was late at night with no traffic about.

Dan Smile

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 11:12 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 22):
Sedgemoor to Lulsgate

My dad always criticises that part of the trip. That section needs improvement.

People from the SW will make the effort to reach BOH if or when BOH becomes a base, if they get a good airfare.

cornish

Fri May 27, 2005 11:18 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 23):
My dad always criticises that part of the trip. That section needs improvement.

Yep - that bit is the worst.

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 23):
People from the SW will make the effort to reach BOH if or when BOH becomes a base, if they get a good airfare.

Not once somebody makes NQY a major LCC base  pray 

PlymSpotter

Fri May 27, 2005 11:26 pm

It would be nice if the likes of EZY or FR would, but currently no one has plans to make this happen. One day though...keep dreaming  yes 

irishjohn

Fri May 27, 2005 11:29 pm

Pe@rson

You are correct, MoL is actually not a bad sort, especially in private! I remember, some time ago, he mentioned that any publicity, even bad, was worth the effort! I guess he makes quite an effort......!!!!

It is strange to me, as a non aviation person, that he gets it in the neck so much on this site! After all he employs staff, buys loads of aircraft (all be it Boeing!), generates opportunities, revenue and jobs at airports and has allowed the here-to-for legacy carriers considered 'un-clean' to travel - and in serious numbers.

What is it with people - a need to complain, a need to be involved or just plain jealousy? What ever it is it does get a tad silly at times! All I can say is HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYANAIR!!!

Safe sailing
John

Orion737

Fri May 27, 2005 11:33 pm

Pe@rson, youve pulled mate  You can talk about your love of Ryanair afterwards!

Seriously, I dont like MOL for the same reason I dont like Ryanair, they have no class at all!

[Edited 2005-05-27 16:35:04]

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 11:39 pm

Quoting Irishjohn (Reply 26):
It is strange to me, as a non aviation person, that he gets it in the neck so much on this site! After all he employs staff, buys loads of aircraft (all be it Boeing!), generates opportunities, revenue and jobs at airports and has allowed the here-to-for legacy carriers considered 'un-clean' to travel - and in serious numbers.

Don't worry. They are all arm-chair CEOs who love legacy carriers and all the tradition that involves. What I love is efficiency and stakeholder relationships (which could, with FR and indeed ALL businesses, be improved).

Quoting Irishjohn (Reply 26):
ll I can say is HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYANAIR!!!

Hear, hear! 20 years!

Think Cornish might be interested, Orion.  Wink

cornish

Fri May 27, 2005 11:41 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 27):
Seriously, I dont like MOL for the same reason I dont like Ryanair, they have no class at all!

And with a remark like

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 16):
(I still reckon you want to bum him )

you're suggesting that you do have class ??  Wink

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 11:42 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 27):

This coming from someone who loves charter airlines? LMAO.  Wink Just like saying 'I don't like the Queen' and then buying countless royal things.
 Wink

I do not like snobby people, even though I come from a good background and am very well educated (doing PhD now).

irishjohn

Fri May 27, 2005 11:45 pm

Orion737

Perhaps you would define class - that is as you see it?

Should be interesting!

Safe sailing
John

Orion737

Fri May 27, 2005 11:46 pm

I am not a snob at all but just dont like the brashness of MOL and his airline.

Its true I love charter airlines, well charter airlines of the past. The charters are all no-frills now anyway. I miss the boiled sweets and free hot breakfasts!

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 32):
Its true I love charter airlines, well charter airlines of the past. The charters are all no-frills now anyway. I miss the boiled sweets and free hot breakfasts!

*Shakes head in sheer disbelief.* Charter airlines have class? LMAO.  Wink And all the tacky tourist resorts? My God: I'd rather be homeless.

irishjohn

Fri May 27, 2005 11:49 pm

Orion737

should I take it that your definition of class is - boiled sweets and free hot breakfasts? Interesting!

How do you relate your definition of class to running a p.l.c? Even more interesting!

Safe sailing
John

Pe@rson

Fri May 27, 2005 11:51 pm

Quoting Irishjohn (Reply 34):
boiled sweets and free hot breakfasts? Interesting!

Don't worry, John: he is among the masses who think that such things are free, when in fact they are - of course - included in the price and are not therefore free at all. Just like carrier bags in shops. There is, it would seem, a terrific amount of ignorance!

7LBAC111

Fri May 27, 2005 11:55 pm

Quoting Irishjohn (Reply 31):
Orion737

Perhaps you would define class - that is as you see it?

John - you will notice that Orion has many differing opinions depending on his moods. Take a read through some of his posts - in particular how he despises C class, how he is convinced that businessmen travelling business class is DIRECTLY responsible for higher consumer costs, but how he still insists on the frills that airlines eliminate to make flying affordable to the masses, but that he likely doesn't pay for.

7LBAC111

irishjohn

Fri May 27, 2005 11:57 pm

Pe@rson

Free!!! Now there is a concept! I would hate to suggest that Orion737 is ignorant but I would be happy to suggest he is, more than occasionally, lacking in facts!! Boiled sweets and all that lark!!

Safe sailing

John

Orion737

Fri May 27, 2005 11:58 pm

Unilke those greedy freeloading businessmen sat upfront I at least pay for my own air tickets. I might have known you would come and stick the boot in 7LBAC11.

irishjohn

Sat May 28, 2005 12:02 am

Orion737

Perhaps it's the fact that you have to pay for the tickets that defines your idea of class - which by the way you have not defined yet!

7LBAC111

Good point! Like your username - reminds me of many years of fantastic BAC111 travel in the Uk and Europe, and America. Shame we can't have the old girl back!!

Safe sailing

John

Pe@rson

Sat May 28, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 38):
Unilke those greedy freeloading businessmen

Hmm. If I were an executive for a business and a client or the business itself wanted me to travel to XYZ, would I turn down the ticket? Hell no. Nor would you - or anyone. If they wish to pay for it - remembering that I am there to do a job - then that's fine with me.  Smile There's nothing greedy at all. It is business. They're paying you to do a job, which includes getting there and back. Anyone would think you're jealous!  Wink

cornish

Sat May 28, 2005 12:07 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 38):
Unilke those greedy freeloading businessmen sat upfront I at least pay for my own air tickets.

Do I detect an air of jealousy Orion? - I think I do. I don't pay for my tickets when I am travelling on the company's business, but when it is my own personal travel I do. Where's the problem with that??

Besides, as with next week, I will be on the other side of the world, living in a hotel and out of a suitcase for a week, away from my partner and family, and working more than a five day week. Why the hell shouldn't my company pay for me to travel in comfort ??

[Edited 2005-05-27 17:09:10]

Orion737

Sat May 28, 2005 12:08 am

Business travel is a necessity. What i dont like is when I know of many people flying from LBA-EDI in C class while their colleagues are layed off and standing charges for customers soar!

I wouldnt do that. I would fly in the back cabin and do my bit!

irishjohn

Sat May 28, 2005 12:14 am

Orion737

I give in - not because you are correct but because I'm having difficulty following your logic. You appear to be neither for or against or is that either against or for, or perhaps neither or both!!! Anyway get my drift? Are you per chance a union representative???????

Back to Bournemouth - there will be a Ryanair base if Ryanair believes it can make money and as part of their base requirement is that a base make money from, if not day one, then year one, I sure they will have thought it all out! Remember they will pull a route just as quickly as not!

Have fun guys, nice chatting!

Safe sailing

John

7LBAC111

Sat May 28, 2005 12:42 am

Nothing personal Orion - but blind ignorance infuriates me, and in you this is so ievident that others are seeing it too.

7LBAC111

[Edited 2005-05-27 17:56:20]

mhodgson

Sat May 28, 2005 12:52 am

BOH - London South West?

Pe@rson - I appreciate your point about things on service airlines not being free, but it is the same with supermarkets - these things are included in the price. People don't begrudge flying BA/BD and paying a little more because they get some food. Not free, but worth the bit extra (which is why I chose BA over U2 to CDG - Food, drink, legroom, assigned seat, no boarding crush and decent terminals). They make a difference to a flight, and people are willing to pay for it. Just like people are willing to go to supermarkets and use carrier bags rather than going to a market and getting eveything in seperate bags  Silly
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

7LBAC111

Sat May 28, 2005 12:55 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 41):
Besides, as with next week, I will be on the other side of the world, living in a hotel and out of a suitcase for a week, away from my partner and family, and working more than a five day week. Why the hell shouldn't my company pay for me to travel in comfort ??

In all honesty my argument for staff travelling in premium cabins was always weighted towards the negative argument. I guess mainly because I haven't yet got cause to travel significant distances with my work.

However, Cornish, as you correctly point out there is that flip side on the upheaval it causes both you and your family, and that in most cases, is a fair argument for premium class travel.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 42):
What i dont like is when I know of many people flying from LBA-EDI in C class while their colleagues are layed off and standing charges for customers soar!

Orion, once again, I will try to make you see my somewhat opinion of how this works. These companies allowing pax to travel in C class on short hops may seem incomprehensible to you, but what you repeatedly fail to see is that often there are sigificant overrides in place for these 'corporations', which is measured in both terms of revenue, and sectors flown.

These C class fares are often so discounted by the carrier in order to get 'preferred status' and ultimately guaranteed business, that they can be the same price or less than an equivalent economy product. However, the traveller gets the added benefit of lounge access, increased baggage alowance, priority boarding, a hot meal etc. This allows the pax to be somewhat more refreshed than travelling in economy, where ultimately the employee would expense the cost of meals etc back to his company, and arguably, actually incur greater cost.

Rant over.

7LBAC111

[Edited 2005-05-27 18:07:27]

Pe@rson

Sat May 28, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 45):
They make a difference to a flight, and people are willing to pay for it.

People are, yes. But millions aren't, if the price is right. I am in favour of choice.

[Edited 2005-05-27 18:07:26]

mhodgson

Sat May 28, 2005 11:10 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 47):
But millions aren't, if the price is right. I am in favour of choice.

As am I. Hence I chose BA - had U2 cost £40 to £100, I'd have flown them instead!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

European

Sat May 28, 2005 11:38 pm

Hey

Thanks guy's

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 1):
Where is Pe@rson and Jimmi (European)??

They'll know for sure.

Quoting Londoncenter (Reply 6):
Thomson does fly from BOH and has done for a couple of months now but I don't know how well they're doing load wise. As said above the catchment area for BOH should be pretty good with three large cities/towns in the area and anywhere further west of BOH I'm sure would rather travel there than LGW which is quite a trek!

I know I'd fly from BOH more often if the destinations were there. Come on Ryanair, sort it out!

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 18):
Yeah, in a few hours Jimmi should have cycled back from school and be ready to reply If these new routes go ahead it should be great news for BOU

Daniel, Not cylcing home from School, From the Airport! It's taken a while for me to spot this thread! I havn't been in here much!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/Euroav/comeonryanair.jpg

NEW NEWS TO ME! BUT COME ON FR! YOU KNOW YOU WANNA!

I can see this Happening! Bournemouth's becoming Busy...........................That'll be the day.

Ryanair Basing 3 planes here, Makes sence to me! Thomsonfly base 2 here! 3 FR planes come here anyways a day. But more flight's if they came!

COME ON FR!

Jimmi

[Edited 2005-05-28 16:49:12]
Come on Ryanair! Come on BOH! BASE BASE BASE! Flying high in the skies...........