cornish

Now BAA Wants To Bid For Budapest Airport

Fri May 27, 2005 11:00 pm

Following on fromm Malev's intention to join oneworld.... I wonder if it'll help BAA's bid against others for BUD.

May 27, 2005
Britain's largest airport operator BAA formally announced on Friday that it plans to bid for Budapest Airport, the operator of Hungary's main international airport at Ferihegy.

"I came to Budapest today to visit the airport and to announce that BAA intends to take part in the process," BAA Chief Executive Mike Clasper told a news conference.

If successful, BAA promised to stay in Budapest for the long run and make the necessary investment to expand the company, Clasper said.

Hungary plans to sell nearly 75 percent of Budapest Airport in the second half of this year, but a formal cabinet decision has yet to be taken and the official publication of the privatization tender is weeks away, government officials said.

The privatization may be done via a long term lease or concession rather than an outright equity sale, but no formal decision has been taken.

BAA added that Hungarian laws allow a concession of up to 35 years but BAA would like something longer.

"The longer the better... we'd like it longer than," BAA International Managing Director Andrew Jurenko said.

Jurenko added that in BAA's Australian operations, they had received in some cases a 99 year concession, which has worked well for the company.

Besides BAA, Copenhagen Airports has said it plans to bid while Frankfurt's Fraport has indicated it may be interested.

BAA said it could provide Budapest Airport with capital, help it establish more routes, and support tourism through cooperation with its airports around the world.

"Ferihegy is an excellent airport with great potential," Clasper said.

Budapest Airport expects its passenger traffic to rise around 18 percent this year from about 6.5 million passengers in 2004 and sees a 10 percent increase in cargo turnover.

The bulk of the passenger traffic increase will be a result of more discount airline flights, the airport said earlier.

(Reuters)
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Flightlover

RE: Now BAA Wants To Bid For Budapest Airport

Fri May 27, 2005 11:06 pm

I think it would be great if BUD could go into BAA hands. The airport is excellent, small by Western European size but extremely nice and pleasant. Additional investments and improvements as well as more routes could make Budapest a more popular tourist destination.

flybeq400

Sat May 28, 2005 12:15 am

What? BAA not content with wrecking our own airports and continually jacking up fees and charges? I pitty the poor people of Budapest (which, on the one occasion I visited, seemed to have a pleasant enough airport).

skidmarks

Sat May 28, 2005 12:22 am

That'll be another airport BAA will ruin, especially for spotters.

As for prices, it'll be impossible to get a coffee without taking out a mortgage. You just have to feel sorry for Hungary!

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

JGPH1A

Sat May 28, 2005 12:57 am

Yes, but how many Sock Shops and Tie Racks does Hungary actually NEED ? Is Budapest ready for a satellite branch of Harrods selling crap teddies in Harrod's jerseys and union-jack buses ? Does the proud Magyar race feel they need a minimum of one Sunglasses Hut and 3 credit-card touts per revenue passenger boarded ? Do you want every jetway reminding you that the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation is the world's best, erm, thing to paint on jetways ?

Think carefully, Hungarians, otherwise all this could soon be yours.

[Edited 2005-05-27 18:02:19]
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Sat May 28, 2005 1:00 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 4):
Is Budapest ready for a satellite branch of Harrods selling crap teddies in Harrod's jerseys and union-jack buses ?

Nah - they can already pop across the border to Vienna for that  Wink

Actually I always thoguht there weren't enough shops at Ferihegy - now it could be the opposite extreme......
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work