casinterest

NW Discontinues Free Domestic Pretzels:

Sat May 28, 2005 12:02 am

Detroit News: NW: No more free domestic pretzels

So now Northwest is going to rely on the snack pack. Is this a cut too far? Over my flying life I have gotten used to the snack and a beverage service. I am sure most others have as well. Will this be a cut that might cost Northwest some customers? I know some will say deal with it, but this has been a constant service on many airliners. I think many will get a bad taste and on flights where there is an alternative, they will take it. This is a bad move in my opinion by Northwest.  irked   redflag 

Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

kcrwflyer

RE: NW Discontinues Free Domestic Pretzels:

Sat May 28, 2005 12:06 am

Quoting CasInterest (Thread starter):
This is a bad move in my opinion by Northwest.

haha lets make a whole thread about that.

Orion737

Sat May 28, 2005 12:13 am

How long before the drinks have to go too?

pbiflyer

Sat May 28, 2005 12:19 am

Why would it cost NW customers? All the other airlines are doing the same thing, so what difference does it make?
PBI is South Florida's BEST airport!

CALMSP

Sat May 28, 2005 12:22 am

an FA's job duties keep getting thinner and thinner with service....

casinterest

Sat May 28, 2005 12:23 am

Quoting Pbiflyer (Reply 3):
Why would it cost NW customers? All the other airlines are doing the same thing, so what difference does it make?

Not everyone is cutting snack service, and for an airline that has billions in revenue to cut something that costs 2 million a year, I think the 10,000 passengers or so that it will cost them , will more than help make up for the savings.

TWFirst

Sat May 28, 2005 12:27 am

Wow.. no more Spinzels... I love those things. I suppose this makes the service and in-flight experience between Northwest and Continental even more noticeable....
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

usflyer msp

Sat May 28, 2005 12:29 am

Nooooo.....Not my rich, delicious fake butter spinzels. Burn in Hades NWA. I'm never flying them again unless I have no choice.

USFlyer MSP

col

Sat May 28, 2005 12:30 am

When all the Leagcies cut their service quality, will we see a swap between lagacy and LCC. jetblue, Song, Southwest, Frontier etc will become the Legacy/Full service carriers, while US, DL, CO, NW, UA, AA become the LCC standard?

atcrick

Sat May 28, 2005 12:31 am

Whats next? Pretty soon you'll have to pay more if you want a seat! The coach class will take on all the glamour and beauty of a subway at rush hour. Sheesh.

Atc Rick
natch!!

717-200

Sat May 28, 2005 12:33 am

This is a good move on the part of NW. Most of the time the pretzels that
get handed out either end up on the floor or in the seat back pocket.
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

JMV

Sat May 28, 2005 12:33 am

"Passengers instead can buy a 3-ounce bag of trail mix for $1."

Okay, so why doesn't NW simply tack on a buck or two to the ticket price, continue to offer a "free" snack, and avoid a public relations mess?

Instead of charging $354.40 for a roundtrip ticket between DTW and LAX, make it $356.40 and hand out trail mix on the flight out there and back.
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

AADC10

Sat May 28, 2005 12:38 am

I am sure it is because tickets are purchased primarily on price, not on the product. Since it is lowly rated by in opinion polls, relatively few people would make NW their first choice anyway, they might as well cut back service to Ryanair levels. Cutting the pretzels and drinks might allow them to reduce the number of FAs and less trash will be left, allowing for a reduction in cleaning staff. Do they have pillows and blankets? Are they going to do a People Express and charge for coffee?

casinterest

Sat May 28, 2005 12:41 am

Quoting Col (Reply 8):
When all the Leagcies cut their service quality, will we see a swap between lagacy and LCC. jetblue, Song, Southwest, Frontier etc will become the Legacy/Full service carriers, while US, DL, CO, NW, UA, AA become the LCC standard?

This is how I am starting to feel.
All the people that defend the legacies need to realize, that they are becoming worse than LCC for those that ride coach.

luv2fly

Sat May 28, 2005 12:43 am

Well the FA's now say they are there for safety above anything else, now there is nothing else....
You can cut the irony with a knife

BostonBeau

Sat May 28, 2005 12:45 am

I almost expect pay toilets on planes these days.... Big grin

MKEdude

Sat May 28, 2005 12:48 am

Is there any diffrence between the service on legacies and LCC's these days? Have we fianlly reached the point where airline service has been standardized across the board. Besides the lack of assigned seats I can't tell the diffrence between NW and WN.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

PHLBOS

Sat May 28, 2005 12:49 am

Maybe as a form of protest, travelers using NW should order a bunch of Spinzels' pretzels on-line (you can get a bag of 30 - 2 oz. bags.) and bring them with you. The cost per bag (from Spinzels' website) is probably cheaper than what NW would charge for its trailmix. Heck, you could sell the extra bags to fellow travelers for 25 or 30 cents while waiting to board.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

acidradio
Crew

Sat May 28, 2005 12:54 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 6):
Wow.. no more Spinzels... I love those things. I suppose this makes the service and in-flight experience between Northwest and Continental even more noticeable....

In other news, the Spinzels factory furloughed 200 employees (Keebler elves?  Wink ) on news that their largest contract, NW, was to stop offering pretzels.

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 12):
Do they have pillows and blankets? Are they going to do a People Express and charge for coffee?

You go to a restaurant and the only thing on the menu that is free (at least in the US) is a glass of water, that's about it.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

mtnmanmakalu

Sat May 28, 2005 12:57 am

This is not totally correct- The pretzels are ONLY discontinued on flights that offer a snack box during the flight- ie 2 1/2 + hours. All other flights (1000's a day) still serve the pretzels in coach.... I really don't understand the complaints anyway- most pax hand them back, leave them in the seat back pockets, or just act disgusted. I guess you can't please everybody, no matter what!!!  Wink
I do, I don't, whatever.......

KROC

Sat May 28, 2005 1:02 am

2 million dollars is 2 million dollars, but in the airline world of decreasing service is it worth it to cut out something as simple as pretzels? Something passangers come to enjoy if not just for the novelty. I don't need a meal. I don't even need a meal on a coast to coast flight, but jack my ticket price up one dollar, don't tell me about it, and give me my pretzels.

FriendlySkies

Sat May 28, 2005 1:09 am

Quoting ATCRick (Reply 9):
Whats next? Pretty soon you'll have to pay more if you want a seat!

Whatever do you mean? That already happened!

jc2354

Sat May 28, 2005 1:27 am

I've been saying it for 20 years. Go ahead and rip out those galleys, and put in vending machines. give the flight attendants change belts.
If not now, then when?

TACAA320

Sat May 28, 2005 1:28 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 6):
I suppose this makes the service and in-flight experience between Northwest and Continental even more noticeable....

For how long?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Kahala777

Sat May 28, 2005 1:31 am

All the other airlines are doing the same thing, so what difference does it make?

That is a good question! Why fly Northwest Airlines instead of Southwest, American, United, Jet Blue, or Air Tran?

BTW - Jet Blue at least offers a snack selection inclusive of biscotti!

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 4):

First thing that todays Post-9/11 Flight Attendant will bark at you is..

"I am here for your safety"

Yawn, Yawn... Flight Attendatns today are -NOTHING- of what they were prior to 9-11-01. Sure we were the country that was attacked. Get over it, life goes on!

Regards - Kahala777

azjubilee

Sat May 28, 2005 1:31 am

Ok - so people are complaining about being deprived of a free HALF OUNCE bag of nasty pretzels? Now the alternative is to drop ONE WHOLE U.S. DOLLAR for a 3 ounce bag of better product? Riiiiight... I see the logic here. Air travel is just another for of a consumer good. It's bottom line transportation, if you want the perks, pay for it. Just like everything else in the world. Until folks are willing to PAY the true cost of airtravel, then these are the things that are going to happen. You can't expect the world when you're paying $1.99 to go cost to coast.

AZJ

Flightlover

Sat May 28, 2005 1:33 am

It's not all legacies that are becoming worse than LCCs. It's primarily American legacies which are cutting service dramatically, in Europe the situation is not great but it's a little better. I can still fly a short route on a major European Airline and get a nice meal and a good beer or wine. I hope things stay that way.

Flightlover

Sat May 28, 2005 1:34 am

I think what will happen is simply the fact that NW will lose a number of customers, and the loss will be much higher than the 2 mln $ that they are saving with this bloody pretzels.

Ralgha

Sat May 28, 2005 1:40 am

You all are complaining about decreasing services on the airlines, yet you'll happily go purchase a cross-country ticket for $5 off Expedia. You have two options. Keep finding the lowest ticket cost and shut the hell up, or start paying what it costs to run the airline and then you can complain.

Flight attendents have always been there for safety, not service. The service is just a nice byproduct that came about.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

SeaMeFly

Sat May 28, 2005 1:42 am

Pretty soon one FA will be assign for the lavatory to hands-out a paper toilet and you'll give us $1. If you want 2 sheets, that'll be $2  Big grin

hammer

Sat May 28, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting Mtnmanmakalu (Reply 19):
This is not totally correct- The pretzels are ONLY discontinued on flights that offer a snack box

wrong my friend.....
Northwest Airlines is taking away the free pretzels on all domestic flights

col

Sat May 28, 2005 1:49 am

It is quite funny really. All the legacies are trying to cut costs everywhere. I just wish they were honest about it. Flew US this week, flights were fine, but BDL-PHL they did not serve a drink. Flew it in April also, same thing. But the reasons are brilliant, "No service due to flight time". They have been flying the route for many, many years, but now it is so much faster. My watch still shows it at around 50- 60 mins, but according to US they have really sped up the trip, that it is impossible to offer a service now.
Also, did a CLT-ATL and back, where US Express have drinks on demand.
Why can't they just be honest, " Due to financial state we will not be offering a service on this flight, as it is only one hour in duration, we apologize for this situation. If anyone need quarters for the bathroom, please slide your dollar under the cockpit door, where the First Officer will give you change and paper".

beauing

Sat May 28, 2005 1:56 am

Which other airlines are charging $1 for a bag of trail mix?

[Edited 2005-05-27 18:59:18]

aa757first

Sat May 28, 2005 2:06 am

Quoting Ralgha (Reply 28):
Flight attendents have always been there for safety, not service. The service is just a nice byproduct that came about.

Always?

AAndrew

TWFirst

Sat May 28, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting Ralgha (Reply 28):
You all are complaining about decreasing services on the airlines, yet you'll happily go purchase a cross-country ticket for $5 off Expedia. You have two options. Keep finding the lowest ticket cost and shut the hell up, or start paying what it costs to run the airline and then you can complain.

WRONG.

As if it's the consumer's responsibility to price companies' products?!?? PLEASE.  

Inflight service has been a component of the commercial aviation product offering since the earliest days of the industry. If FA's duties are now going to be reduced to simply barking orders to fasten seatbelts and turn off electronic devices... announcements that can be automated anyway... and then sit in their jumpseats reading magazines and gossiping with their coworkers, waiting for the extremely unlikely event they'll be needed in an emergency.... then their pay should be reduced accordingly. (Ironically, this cost savings may then allow the airline to be able to offer Spinzels again).

Northwest, and other legacies, need to figure out how to offer a competitive product at a competitive price... end of story.

(edited for typo)

[Edited 2005-05-27 19:16:49]

flyabunch

Sat May 28, 2005 2:17 am

Heck, that $2 million saved will probably be used to enrich the executive severence pay pool.

Mike

luv2fly

Sat May 28, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 34):
WRONG.

As if it's the consumer's responsibility to price companies' products?!?? PLEASE.

Inflight service has been a component of the commercial aviation product offering since the earliest days of the industry. If FA's duties are now going to be reduced to simply barking orders to fasten seatbelts and turn off electronic devices... announcements that can be automated anyway... and then sit in their jumpseats reading magazines and gossiping with their coworkers, waiting for the extremely unlikely event they'll be needed in an emergency.... then their pay should be reduced accordingly. (Ironically, this cost savings may then allow the airline to be able to offer Spinzels again).

Northwest, and other legacies, need to figure out how to offer a competitive product at a competitive price... end of story.

I have to agree 110%! Stop blaming the consumer for the problems of the airlines. If the Powers that be in charge of the airlines want and continue to charge prices below what they need to make a profit then that there is the problem.
You can cut the irony with a knife

N62NA

Sat May 28, 2005 2:21 am

Quoting 717-200 (Reply 10):
This is a good move on the part of NW. Most of the time the pretzels that
get handed out either end up on the floor or in the seat back pocket.

I agree. Most times on AA flights in Coach, I refuse the pretzels. Sometimes when I forget to refuse, I end up putting them in the seat back pocket. I simply do not like pretzels!

Braniff727

Sat May 28, 2005 2:24 am

Do any of you honestly think there would be a single flight attendant employed by any US airline if they weren't required to be there by law?

Flight attendants are there for safety. Yes, the companies give them service duties to perform, but if the FAA ever said, "naw, you don't need flight attendants anymore," you can bet those galleys will be replaced with vending machines!

I can honestly say I don't believe this is going to cost NW a single customer. The fact is, people do buy their tickets on the cost of the ticket. $1 for a bag of trail mix is still less that the $2 you would pay for something in the airport. The people that will become upset that there aren't any pretzels will complain and say "I'm never flying Northwest again."

Several months later when they are looking for their next flight, they will find NW the cheapest, book the flight and complain all over again. See a cycle here?
Climbing

Braniff727

Sat May 28, 2005 2:29 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 36):
I have to agree 110%! Stop blaming the consumer for the problems of the airlines.

It is not the consumer to blame, rather the crooks like Eugene Wedoff and GE. They are propping up companies that cannot survive on their own, allowing them to sell seats at costs lower than it costs them to fly, thus causing every other airline competing in those markets to do the same.

Why can WN, B6 and FL make it? Because they haven't been around for 60+ years of higher salaries.

None of the airlines are blaming consumers. The consumers are not, and never will be the problem. If the likes of UA and US were required to charge what it costs them to operate, you would see a whole different picture.
Climbing

ikramerica

Sat May 28, 2005 2:38 am

NWA also has no inflight entertainment on their domestic oriented fleet, right? Nothing to munch on, nothing to watch. Yip yip yippee.

Then again, I don't eat the pretzels anymore. Nuts ja, pretzels, nien.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

CAL

Sat May 28, 2005 2:46 am

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 4):

And they keep getting thicker and thicker with security stuff.
CAL........Continental Airlines....... Work Hard, Fly Right

casinterest

Sat May 28, 2005 2:50 am

So Northwest which has costs that cause it to loose 3.1 billion a year has decided to cut 2 million dollars by ending a VISIBLE customer oriented service in order to put a dent in that loss.  Confused  dollarsign  They are not seeing the forest because of the tree here. With 3.1 billion in losses, they are not going to be able to offer a cheap flight that compares with a WN or B6 or F9 in the future. They are helping to dig their own grave with management decisions like this one.  twocents 

TWFirst

Sat May 28, 2005 2:58 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 42):
So Northwest which has costs that cause it to loose 3.1 billion a year has decided to cut 2 million dollars by ending a VISIBLE customer oriented service in order to put a dent in that loss. They are not seeing the forest because of the tree here. With 3.1 billion in losses, they are not going to be able to offer a cheap flight that compares with a WN or B6 or F9 in the future. They are helping to dig their own grave with management decisions like this one.

You've hit the nail on the head... this is a major difference in management philosophy between NW and CO... actually between CO and the other majors, I believe.

Bethune said since the beginning of the downturn that CO wasn't going to start "picking the olives off of the salads"...and Kellner and the current team continue to operate this way. Yet they've managed to maintain service levels, expand their route system, employ all the new security requirements, and have remained at the top of the majors in terms of financial performance... yes they're still losing money, but their operations are profitable and comparatively, they're doing much better than their competitors.

cgnnrw

Sat May 28, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting Acidradion Reply 18 "You go to a restaurant and the only thing on the menu that is free (at least in the US) is a glass of water, that's about it."

Yes, but you don't have to pay to get into the restaurant and even in the chinsiest, greasy spoon you get metal cutlery.....

See below regarding the "free glass of water".....

Qutoting FlightLover Reply 26 "It's not all legacies that are becoming worse than LCCs. It's primarily American legacies which are cutting service dramatically, in Europe the situation is not great but it's a little better. I can still fly a short route on a major European Airline and get a nice meal and a good beer or wine. I hope things stay that way."

You haven't flown Austrian Airlines lately have you? They charge for WATER on all flight under 2hours but if a flight is over 2hours its free??? Can anyone explain the logic?????
A330 man.

mtnmanmakalu

Sat May 28, 2005 4:06 am

Quoting Hammer (Reply 30):

wrong my friend.....
Northwest Airlines is taking away the free pretzels on all domestic flights

Are you an NWA F/A???? I am, and haven't read anything from NW about this yet- not even on our in-flight briefings. So far, it has only been on flights with smartsnacks offered- like I said earlier... If I see anything internal, I will let you know...

mtnman
I do, I don't, whatever.......

CIDFlyer

Sat May 28, 2005 4:13 am

no longer serving a small packet that may contain 10 (if you are lucky) pretzels is not going to deter me from still flying NWA. In the end, all I care about is if they get me to my destination safe and on time, which NWA has done for me for the last 7 years.

Braniff727

Sat May 28, 2005 4:16 am

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 44):
Yes, but you don't have to pay to get into the restaurant

Does the restaurant transport you from one destination to another at speeds of close to 600 MPH? Does the restaurant require federally mandated, trained staff for safety? Does the cook / chef have to have gone through years of expensive training so as not to kill all of the diners?

You're confusing the transportation industry with the food service industry.

[Edited 2005-05-27 21:17:52]
Climbing

cbphoto

Sat May 28, 2005 4:16 am

last I heard NWA is going to go to an all standing room class, and you are allowed one napsack for your carry on allowence. Seriously, other then getting from poing A to B airlines are getting hopeless when it comes to passenger comfort. Ohh well...bring on the cheap fares I guess!!!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

azjubilee

Sat May 28, 2005 4:32 am

Mtnmanmakalu -

Sadly you are the one that is misinformed. This is being force fed to the Mesaba flight attendants as well, to be onpar with NWA service standards. What you're talking about is being taken a step further. They are indeed eliminating ALL PRETZELS in Y domestically... to be replaced by the $1 snack mix.

AZJ