aeroman62

So What's Going To Happen To UA After Tuesday?

Mon May 30, 2005 11:08 am

Word around SF Bay Area is book away from UA until the outcome is determined from the current management/mechanic situation, what do you think is going to happen, and how is that going to impact UA post Tuesday, 5/31/05? I don't see how they can afford a strike, the SF Chronicle has had a blind (meaning no employer identified) with a 650 area code fax number looking for licensed a&p mechanics, it may be conincidental, however....

Opinions and thoughts?

northwestair

RE: So What's Going To Happen To UA After Tuesday?

Mon May 30, 2005 11:14 am

Why should you not book on UA. So lets see you buy a ticket on UA and then there is a strike no big deal you get rerouted to another Airline. Why stay away from an airline just because there is a hint of a strike. I remember when our Pilots went on strike back in 98 all I did was reroute psgrs to DL, AA. TWA and all the other carriers that took our ticket stock. I even think WN took our ticket stock during the Pilots strike. So I wouldn't worry about booking on UA.
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

DfwRevolution

Mon May 30, 2005 11:18 am

If you purchase with a credit card, I thought you weren't liable to pay for services you do not recieve. In other words, if you buy with a Visa a week in advance and UA goes bust the day of your flight, you can be fully refunded?

I doubt a strike at a single station could bring down UA, but it would be devestating nonetheless

aa757first

Mon May 30, 2005 11:20 am

Quoting Northwestair (Reply 1):
Why should you not book on UA. So lets see you buy a ticket on UA and then there is a strike no big deal you get rerouted to another Airline.

Let's not forget we are entering the very busy summer travel seasons. Planes are going out full as is.

AAndrew

northwestair

Mon May 30, 2005 11:21 am

I doubt there will be a strike on Tuesday, but I to am interested in what's going to happen when the Judge Rules this week.

StevenUhl777

Mon May 30, 2005 11:21 am

Quoting Aeroman62 (Thread starter):
the SF Chronicle has had a blind (meaning no employer identified) with a 650 area code fax number looking for licensed a&p mechanics, it may be conincidental, however....

The search for A/P mechanics I think is for NWA.

I don't know what to think...I am, perhaps cautiously optimistic, that an agreement will be reached in time, and the judge will accept that. But, that's for the IAM only. Remember, the AMFA will announce the vote result for their tentative agreement on 5/31 as well, and that will be interesting to see how that plays out, and how it will affect the judge's decision.

With all the publicity of a strike by either or both unions, the judge certainly must be aware that a strike by either for even a short period of time would be ruinous for United, and for now, it's his job to protect the interests of the creditors to see United remain in business. It's also highly unfortunate (though understandable) that people are booking away from UA, especially during the summer, which even if there is a settlement, could still be very harmful anyway, as the summer is the 'high' season for revenues.

United could have avoided all this by working harder at negotiations earlier this year, but that didn't happen. Now, their backs are against a wall, and who knows how it will turn out. I don't believe any worker WANTS to strike, but feel they have nothing to lose at this point, and don't care if they pull the plug on the roller coaster ride that has made them sick over the last 10 years or so.

20 years ago, United pilots were on strike for nearly a month, and the rest of the employees were put in a tough spot. 20 years later, it's the non-pilots that are ready to pull the plug, and the pilots would be left holding the bag with the most to lose. How ironic...it's a vicious circle, isn't it?

The airline industry may be very different a week from now, folks...if not sooner.

[Edited 2005-05-30 04:23:06]
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

northwestair

Mon May 30, 2005 11:30 am

Well said 777. Everyone has been so interested in UA and US that they haven't thought to look at the other Legacies. I mean look at NW we are falling apart fast with the Mech. andthe Cleaners and now with us CSA and ESE who haven't had a Contract since '03 . NW has kina lucked out by UA being in the News everyday and shadowing our own problems.

StevenUhl777

Mon May 30, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting Northwestair (Reply 6):
NW has kina lucked out by UA being in the News everyday and shadowing our own problems.

If the UA situation is resolved (relatively) peacefully, i.e. no strike, then all eyes on NW. NW can't exactly afford a protracted strike, either...I can't imagine morale there (or at any legacy) is on cloud nine by any means.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

APFPilot1985

Mon May 30, 2005 11:45 am

the same thing that happened last time a thread like this was posted
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

northwestair

Mon May 30, 2005 11:47 am

In my work group it's not as bad as say the Mech/Cleaners. I mean we have already gone thru the lay offs. I know non of us want to take a pay cut but I think we might not have a choice if we keep losing More Money.

StevenUhl777

Mon May 30, 2005 11:50 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 8):
the same thing that happened last time a thread like this was posted

No strike. I sure hope that happens. I don't want to see ANY airline strike, for that matter.

Seems like musical chairs on a very grand stage...which airline on the brink will blink first... Sad

CORULEZ05

Mon May 30, 2005 11:56 am

Here we go again. Another SPECULATION thread regarding United and what will occur. Why don't we just sit tight and see what happens??? All these about United have no productive outcome. As for what will happen after Tuesday....we'll all find out on Wednesday and days after that.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

StevenUhl777

Mon May 30, 2005 12:22 pm

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 11):
Here we go again. Another SPECULATION thread regarding United and what will occur. Why don't we just sit tight and see what happens??? All these about United have no productive outcome. As for what will happen after Tuesday....we'll all find out on Wednesday and days after that

The most intelligent reply yet.... Wink

luv2fly

Mon May 30, 2005 10:55 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 2):
If you purchase with a credit card, I thought you weren't liable to pay for services you do not recieve. In other words, if you buy with a Visa a week in advance and UA goes bust the day of your flight, you can be fully refunded?

I doubt a strike at a single station could bring down UA, but it would be devestating nonetheless

Keep in mind that if you purchase your ticket far in advance and pay off the charge then the credit card refund is not a sure thing!
You can cut the irony with a knife

Arrow

Mon May 30, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 13):
Keep in mind that if you purchase your ticket far in advance and pay off the charge then the credit card refund is not a sure thing!

In fact, you are SOL. I bought my UA tickets three months ago, used VISA, paid it off. I'll get nada from VISA if UA collapses, and my flight is June 8. If the company is still in business, they'll try to put us on another airline. But if they are out of business and in liquidation -- which I suspect is much more likely -- then I'm completely on my own.

I called UA last week and asked them what their plans were in the event of a strike. They fobbed me off with a "don't believe everything you read in the media, no one is talking strike." That really pi**ed me off. It's one thing to try to be optimistic, another to insult my intelligence.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

F9HNLPLZ

Mon May 30, 2005 11:56 pm

Let's try and keep a positive attitude here. I am sure something will work out. No one wants a strike. IAM realizes that its members would hurt if they did. The workers realize this. We will see something happen that will take care of all.
Frontier Airlines, A Whole Different Animal. Maybe some day to Hawaii???

AFinMIA

Mon May 30, 2005 11:59 pm

We all know nothing is going to happen. As much much as I detest the Bankruptcy Judge for what he did, nothing will happen. United will be flying for many days to come,and as an enthusiast....... I gotta say our skies would be all the less without UA.

aa777jr

Tue May 31, 2005 1:26 am

Holding my breath... gasp 
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

avek00

Tue May 31, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting F9HNLPLZ (Reply 15):
Let's try and keep a positive attitude here.

I am keeping a positive attitude, which is why I'm hoping to hell that the contracts get tossed, the IAMers walk, and the financial clusterf!ck known as United Airlines gets grounded for good by Friday.
Live life to the fullest.

Algoz

Tue May 31, 2005 2:30 am

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 18):
I am keeping a positive attitude, which is why I'm hoping to hell that the contracts get tossed, the IAMers walk, and the financial clusterf!ck known as United Airlines gets grounded for good by Friday.

Thank you for your valued support. It's people like you that we don't want on United in the first place. Do us all a favour and fly the competition.
From a very grateful employee........

F9HNLPLZ

Tue May 31, 2005 2:32 am

I am keeping a positive attitude, which is why I'm hoping to hell that the contracts get tossed, the IAMers walk, and the financial clusterf!ck known as United Airlines gets grounded for good by Friday

hissyfit 

You should never wish 60,000 people to loose their jobs. It would be the same if someone wished Independence Air to shut its doors. You and Kahala should go bowling. Stop being a  butthead  and hope they work this out. That little company Independence Air would not be where it is today if UAL had no had them working of them on the Express routes.

SHUPirate1

Tue May 31, 2005 2:34 am

Quoting F9HNLPLZ (Reply 20):
It would be the same if someone wished Independence Air to shut its doors.

I DO wish Independence Air shuts its doors. I also wish, however, that everybody got a new job at double the pay for less work with the exception of Kerry Skeen.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

avek00

Tue May 31, 2005 2:56 am

Quoting Algoz (Reply 19):
Do us all a favour and fly the competition.

As a CO Silver Elite, I DO fly United's competition. So do many former UA premium customers, btw - hence the company's current financial difficulties.

ckfred

Tue May 31, 2005 3:42 am

I was talking to a friend of mine that flies for AA. He doesn't see how the bankruptcy can't rule in UA's favor. He also can't see UA agreeing to put money in the IAM pension plan, rather than creating a 401(k) plan for IAM members.

In other words, there will be a strike.

Then the question becomes for how long? President Clinton sent AA's pilots back to work after 20 minutes. My friend thinks President Bush will do the same.

But the problem is that this isn't a normal situation. The RLA doesn't have any provision regarding a bankruptcy judge changing contract terms pursuant to a motion from management.

In theory, a federal judge could declare that the RLA isn't applicable, so the President's authority doesn't extend to this dispute. That doesn't mean that President Bush won't try to find another federal law to send the IAM back to work. I'm sure federal lawyers will be looking to see if Taft-Hartley could be applicable.

In any case, UA and IAM lawyers will be running around the Dirksen Building in Chicago tomorrow, and airlines at major UA locations, particularly SFO, LAX, DEN, ORD, IAD, and JFK, will be preparing to handle UA passengers who want to swich or are forced to switch.

If UA does go on strike, the delays at ORD will decline.

F9HNLPLZ

Tue May 31, 2005 3:58 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 23):
Then the question becomes for how long? President Clinton sent AA's pilots back to work after 20 minutes. My friend thinks President Bush will do the same.

But the problem is that this isn't a normal situation. The RLA doesn't have any provision regarding a bankruptcy judge changing contract terms pursuant to a motion from management.

In theory, a federal judge could declare that the RLA isn't applicable, so the President's authority doesn't extend to this dispute. That doesn't mean that President Bush won't try to find another federal law to send the IAM back to work. I'm sure federal lawyers will be looking to see if Taft-Hartley could be applicable.

This is most likely what will happen if there is a strike. The IAM will not be able to handle lawsuits from creditors which is exactly what will happen if the strike does drag on.

ckfred

Tue May 31, 2005 5:35 am

F9HLNPLZ:

You present an interesting legal theory. I know there were class action suits against the APA, when AA's pilots called for the sick-out over the QQ merger. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I think they were eventually dismissed.

Simply put, it's very hard for persons or entities, other than employers, to sue a labor union, union officials, or employees for damages caused by any kind of strike.

If it turns out that the IAM has a legal right to strike, then UA and its creditors have no legal recourse, other than to reach an agreement over contract issues.

If, on the other hand, the strike is deemed illegal, UA would have a right to recoup lost revenue and/or costs, but I don't think pre-existing creditors would.

ASMD80

Tue May 31, 2005 5:43 am

Quoting Algoz (Reply 19):
Do us all a favour and fly the competition.

Wait! We actually need the competition!  whistleblower 
UA helps keep prices down on our competitiors. Higher ticket prices are a result of there only being one or two carriers that are on a certain route.

As much as I dislike UA, I don't want them to go because hundreds of thousands of people would be losing their jobs, something that we don't want to happen.
Some things are actually better at 30,000+ feet...

avek00

Tue May 31, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 23):

The thing is, most of the law regarding airline labor assumes a binding contract previously agreed to by the parties is in effect. An abrogation by the bankruptcy judge would leave the parties without a binding contract, and courts are generally unwilling to compel performance under terms not agreed to by the parties. Therefore, I'm inclined to argue that a judge will allow BOTH sides to engage in self-help in the event of an abrogation.

BH346

Tue May 31, 2005 5:48 am

It looks like the IAM is back for negotiations in Chicago. The ruling is set for 1:30 CDT tomorrow. There's also the AMFA vote tomorrow as well.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

baw716

Tue May 31, 2005 7:08 am

God, can't these people just calm down...I'm writing the alternative business plan as fast as I can and I WILL get it in front of the judge. I have found a way to do that; however, I cannot divulge what that is...

So to all the mechanics who are a.netters, PLEASE do not do anything that is going to disrupt the airline. We need to keep it going until we can leverage the judge to listen to what we have to say. For that I need time. So therefore I ask, please do not strike, please take no action against the company. Believe me, you just have to take it on faith right now...but there is a better way, I have just to get it on paper and get the numbers lined up; then we will be ready to go.

To those of you who know UA mechanics and other IAM members, please pass this along. The UA management is getting themselves ready for a Ch 7 filing, I feel it in my gut, but if the IAM goes through with this, then it will precipitate exactly what the management wants.

Thanks for now, news later.
baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

StevenUhl777

Tue May 31, 2005 9:05 am

Quoting Baw716 (Reply 29):
UA management is getting themselves ready for a Ch 7 filing, I feel it in my gut

I think you're being a bit sensationalist...what is this based on? Do you have information that we don't? Care to elaborate?

but if the IAM goes through with this, then it will precipitate exactly what the management wants.

And you honestly believe that management WANTS to file Ch. 7????  Yeah sure

I'm writing the alternative business plan as fast as I can and I WILL get it in front of the judge. I have found a way to do that; however, I cannot divulge what that is...

We're holding our breath to read your pearls of wisdom, and I'm sure Judge Wedoff is too... Yeah sure At least you're old enough to know something about the industry, as opposed to being 16-20 and dreaming all this up.

avek00

Tue May 31, 2005 10:21 am

So to all the mechanics who are a.netters

The mechanics are not the ones threatening to strike.

The UA management is getting themselves ready for a Ch 7 filing

UAL management is doing no such thing - any future action taken by the company, INCLUDING LIQUIDATION, can take place within the context of Chapter 11.

jmc1975

Tue May 31, 2005 11:52 am

Perhaps this will give HP/US the oppotunity to acquire UA's 319/320 aircraft, therefore accelerating the retirement of the 733/734, and increasing fleet commonality as the merger progresses.

avek00

Tue May 31, 2005 11:57 am

God, can't these people just calm down...I'm writing the alternative business plan as fast as I can and I WILL get it in front of the judge. I have found a way to do that; however, I cannot divulge what that is...

With all due respect, even if you do get an irate creditor to support your proposal and file a motion to end the POR exclusivity period, you'd need to pony up at least $2B to be taken seriously by the creditors' committee, United, or the bankruptcy judge.

Kahala777

Tue May 31, 2005 12:03 pm

So lets see you buy a ticket on UA and then there is a strike no big deal you get rerouted to another Airline.

No Big Deal????? You need to visit the United States more often. Memorial Day weekend is the kick off for the summer travel season. Most of the airlines are going to be running near or at capacity for the next 3 months. Get your head out of your rear end. Airlines dont want to take another airlines passengers, especially when that airline has no way to pay for the bill!

Why stay away from an airline just because there is a hint of a strike.

Again ... Airlines dont want to take another airlines passengers, especially when that airline has no way to pay for the bill!

I'm hoping to hell that the contracts get tossed, the IAMers walk, and the financial clusterf!ck known as United Airlines gets grounded for good by Friday.

Me to... Me to... Me to...

cloudnine   praise 

Regards - Kahala777

StevenUhl777

Tue May 31, 2005 12:26 pm

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 34):
No Big Deal????? You need to visit the United States more often. Memorial Day weekend is the kick off for the summer travel season. Most of the airlines are going to be running near or at capacity for the next 3 months. Get your head out of your rear end. Airlines dont want to take another airlines passengers, especially when that airline has no way to pay for the bill!

But Kahala......in "The Next 24 Hours at UAL" thread, you posted THIS:

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 6):
The United States suffers from overcapacity.

So what if a person cant fly from Sacramento to San Francisco, then can take Amtrak.

So what if a person cannot fly Chicago to Sao Paulo. They can fly American via Dallas or Miami.

So what if a person cannot fly Hong Kong to Chicago. They can fly Cathay to Narita, and then American to Chicago.

So what if a person cant fly Nagoya to San Francisco. They can fly JAL connecting at Narita.

So if what you say is true in the first quote about there not being any extra capacity due to the summer season, and the United States truly suffers from overcapacity, how can your suggestion for people to fly on AA or any other US or foreign airline work? Which is it? Is there an overcapacity problem or not? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth, so I have this advice for you:

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 34):
Get your head out of your rear end.

[Edited 2005-05-31 05:32:03]

Kahala777

Tue May 31, 2005 12:56 pm

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 35):
So if what you say is true in the first quote about there not being any extra capacity due to the summer season, and the United States truly suffers from overcapacity, how can your suggestion for people to fly on AA or any other US or foreign airline work? Which is it? Is there an overcapacity problem or not?

StevenUhl777,

First, you need to put on a pair of reading glasses. Next, let us now discuss the above topic. I like how you attempted to turn my words around.. That is a United Airlines Management move..

Now, if a person is dumb enough not to make travel plans for the summer season in advance, it is their own mistake. Not the mistake of the airlines. If the person cannot afford one airline, they will have to settle for less and go on another airline. It is all about supply and demand. If you have it, you have it. If you dont, you stay at home. It is plain and simple!

In regards to foreign airlines, they are for the most part nights and days above any U.S. airline in service and quality.

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 35):
But Kahala......in "The Next 24 Hours at UAL" thread,

But StevenUhl777, thankfully the next 24 hours could be an eternity for your beleived United Airlines and their 777's that await a new home in Victorville!

Please... You people trying to make what is left of your beloved dead in the water airline is getting very old. United Airlines and its Management has made more than its share of mistakes and foul ups over the past decade. It is now time for all of you that took advantage of your passengers to pay the price. United Airlines is one of the most embarassing marks currently in the United States.

United Airlines, single handed has make Bankruptcy a household name.

United Airlines, has fouled up a great many projects. In the midst of the mess called United Airlines Bankruptcy, the airline has attempted to become a low cost, full fare, fly here, fly there, reduce mileage benefits, reduce employee benefits airline. You at United Airlines have failed the flying public and their is no turning back, your years of botched decisions have come down to this...

United Airlines... A Failed Airline!

Regards - Kahala777

jpetekyxmd80

Tue May 31, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 36):

United Airlines, single handed has make Bankruptcy a household name.

That is right up there with the all time moronic statements of Airliners.net.

Congratulations.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Kahala777

Tue May 31, 2005 1:37 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 37):
That is right up there with the all time moronic statements of Airliners.net.

Congratulations

Proof that it is not true??? I will be waiting!

Regards - Kahala777

jpetekyxmd80

Tue May 31, 2005 1:49 pm

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 38):

Proof that it is not true??? I will be waiting!

You mean prove?

Bankruptcy is a common word to the VAST majority of people. I, of course, cannot speak for you. It is a classic legal word. There are corporate bankruptcies, personal bankruptcies. We hear about our favorite washed up stars go bankrupt. We hear the word literally ALL THE TIME. Turn on a news channel, you'll hear it. What about all of the airlines before united to file bankruptcy. Not just ch. 11, chapter 7 liquidation. Pan Am, TWA. Continental and America West's stints. It is a COMMON, HOUSEHOLD WORD, and has been so for a very long time. And for you to suggest United has made this word mainstream- is one of the most ignorant, preposterous statements I have seen on this website, and i kid you not.

Not to even go into Enron and Worldcom...geeze...

[Edited 2005-05-31 06:54:41]

Kahala777

Tue May 31, 2005 1:55 pm

Difference

America West/Continental Airlines did not grow by leaps and bounds under Bankrupty protection.

America West/Continental Airlines did not start an airline, within an airline under Bankruptcy protection.

America West/Continental Airlines did not rape their employees of pensions under Bankruptcy protcetion.

United Airlines is a bloated leach that ia taking advantage of the Bankruptcy system. They are taking advantage of it not to become efficient. They are taking advantage of it, so as not ot pay for their bills!

Regards - Kahala777

jpetekyxmd80

Tue May 31, 2005 1:57 pm

Regardless of your NEW opinions of UA, what does all that shit about 2 (of the many companies mentioned) have to do with United making "Bankruptcy" a household name?

StevenUhl777

Tue May 31, 2005 2:12 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 41):
Regardless of your NEW opinions of UA, what does all that shit about 2 (of the many companies mentioned) have to do with United making "Bankruptcy" a household name?

I have no clue what I'm talking about....just ignore everything I say. My friends at UA who just as misinformed as I am and hate United as much as I do merely feed me this stuff, and I just repeat it here.

Signed,
Kahala777

jmc1975

Tue May 31, 2005 2:14 pm

In reality, each of the upper management at UAL probably is not able to sleep well at night, knowing they've crooked thousands of peoples' lives. Does Glenn Tilton look as though he has aged over tha past couple of years? Does anybody have a before and after photo? I know that USAirways' Bruce Lakefield looked as though he had just been through a war at the merger announcement, one can only imagine how Tilton is fairing.

Kahala777

Tue May 31, 2005 2:15 pm

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 42):
I have no clue what I'm talking about....just ignore everything I say. My friends at UA who just as misinformed as I am and hate United as much as I do merely feed me this stuff, and I just repeat it here.

Signed,
Kahala777

Watch who you are quoting..... Check the Forum Rules....

I did not post that! I did not sign my name to that!

Regards - Kahala777

flyboyaz

Tue May 31, 2005 2:17 pm

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 40):
United Airlines is a bloated leach that ia taking advantage of the Bankruptcy system. They are taking advantage of it not to become efficient. They are taking advantage of it, so as not ot pay for their bills!

Sad but true...I think that's exactly what other airlines are saying...I know people at HP are saying it! We went through a bancruptcy and downsized and cut costs to get out. I can't imagine UA employees aren't freakin raped apes over all this stuff.
Catch a ride on a smile!

Kahala777

Tue May 31, 2005 2:18 pm

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 42):
My friends at UA who just as misinformed

Incorrect

Regards - Kahala777

jpetekyxmd80

Tue May 31, 2005 2:18 pm

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 44):

Watch who you are quoting..... Check the Forum Rules....

I did not post that! I did not sign my name to that!

Ever hear of the infamous 'signed by' posts here on this site?

He did not quote you, he quoted me. You did not sign your name to that? Well no shit, just look at the user name of the person that posted it!

Seemed pretty accurate to me though  Smile

flyibaby

Tue May 31, 2005 3:11 pm

As of 9pm last night..UA rampers are already getting signs together that say "International Association of Machinists On Strike." Per their CS agents, they will find out if they walk 5/31 at 1pm. Apparently if so, the work action will take effect immediately.

Additonal items listed related to above:
http://www.canada.com/travel/story.h...db2c4e-4f2f-41fb-9534-747b1009c6eb

APFPilot1985

Tue May 31, 2005 3:14 pm

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 40):
/Continental Airlines did not start an airline, within an airline under Bankruptcy protection.

CO lite?
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion