NightFlier
Topic Author

Purpose Of The New Atacama Desert Airport?

Mon May 30, 2005 12:57 pm

As the photo explains this airport is in the middle of no where. So my question is , Who would visit it? Is this some type of government airport? Could it be located where those huge telescopes are, where the people who work there never leave? I would have asked the person who took it but I like to hear a ANet response bigthumbsup 

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Carlos

Airplanes are only as good as the people who fly&fix them.

ha763

RE: Purpose Of The New Atacama Desert Airport?

Mon May 30, 2005 1:19 pm

Quoting NightFlier (Thread starter):
Who would visit it?

1-Tourists. The Atacama Desert has a lot natural beauty that attacts tourists.

2-Archeologists. Lots of relics are found in pristine condition due to Atacama being the driest place on Earth.

You can do a search for Atacama and find a lot of information about the area.

[Edited 2005-05-30 06:22:03]

Lan_Fanatic

Mon May 30, 2005 1:39 pm

This is the new airport of the city of Copiapó, capital of the Atacama Region, if I'm not mistaken. So it is not "really" in the middle of nowhere, but a bit far from the city.

Hope it helps

Ratypus

Mon May 30, 2005 8:06 pm

That sounds right - the airport code is CPO which should mean Copiapo

As for who would be using the airport - well tourists do visit the Atacama a lot, but tend to gather around San Pedro de Atacama, up near Calama (check this map to get an idea where that is!)

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshell...island/chile_and_easter_island.htm

Much more likely this airport will be to serve the city of Copiapo - with the distances involved travelling in Chile, the plane is often going to be preferable to a long (10 hours from Santiago?!) bus journey. And it look like its in the middle of nowhere because, um, there's plenty of space in the desert and no need to build the airport right on top of town!

Bear in mind that because of the shape of the country, LAN actually operate a lot of their flights as multi-stop flights, thus overcoming problems associated with low demand in individual cities.

flyabunch

Mon May 30, 2005 8:14 pm

It reminds me of DEN when they first built it. A friend who lives in Denver told me that the new Denver airport was in Kansas!

I guess they subscribe to the adage: "If you build it, they will come!"

Mike

voodoo

Mon May 30, 2005 8:14 pm

Hey I'd visit a place that has no rain for a holiday! Yes, please!!
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

TACAA320

Tue May 31, 2005 4:14 am

Aside the main topic.

A remarkable picture! And taken with a non "sophisticated camera". Just a good one indeed. And a great photographer.

Congratulations Carlos!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein