United777
Topic Author

Air India: Houston Or Dallas

Mon May 30, 2005 6:58 pm

I found this article today on MSNBC.com ....

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8034253/

jr

RE: Air India: Houston Or Dallas

Mon May 30, 2005 10:20 pm

I guess Dallas has more at steak with the huge new international terminal set to open and not many an airline showing any major interest in service yet. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

I still think its a way outside shot for Dallas to get this service... but the battle between the airports will be fun to watch. With the much bigger Indian population of Houston, coupled with the presence of the Indian consulate/diplomatic services in the city, I just don't think Air India will land in DFW on much more than a weather diversion enroute to Houston.

Having said that, I am sure AI will do equally well from either city, since its the seemingly unlimited traffic potential to India we're talking about, and the consolidators around the country will be routing a bunch of connecting traffic through either of the cities no matter what.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

shawnnyc

Mon May 30, 2005 11:26 pm

Quoting Jr (Reply 1):
With the much bigger Indian population of Houston

The Indian population is actually similar in Dallas and Houston. If you look at South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc) then Houston is larger. Don't know which city has more business traffic. My guess is AI will get more pax on the houston - europe leg then they will from dallas. AI need to start SFO and IAD first though.

DfwRevolution

Mon May 30, 2005 11:30 pm

Quoting Jr (Reply 1):
I guess Dallas has more at steak with the huge new international terminal set to open and not many an airline showing any major interest in service yet.

I agree. I have to say that it's time for Terminal D and Skylink to start putting out: the rational behind the $3 billion dollar investment in DFW was to win competitions like these.

Quoting Jr (Reply 1):
I still think its a way outside shot for Dallas to get this service...

I also agree, and have somewhat of a sick feeling that if DFW were to lose, they would use it as further ammunition against WN in the Wright Ammendment battle. Here's hoping, nonetheless  Wink

http://www.win-con.com/library/dfw.jpg

LAXDESI

Tue May 31, 2005 2:23 am

Can't they offer thrice a week from IAH and DFW? Given the population of Indians in these two cities, it would make more sense. AI from LAX does not go full, with a population of about 200,000 Indians flying on both DEL and BOM flights.

MAH4546

Tue May 31, 2005 2:28 am

Sorry, but a new international terminal is not a reason for new airlines to come to an airport. It doesn't magically create a market that didn't exist earlier.
a.

jr

Tue May 31, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 4):
Sorry, but a new international terminal is not a reason for new airlines to come to an airport. It doesn't magically create a market that didn't exist earlier.

I don't think anyone implied that. But the steaks are high for the DFW airport board to justify the big new terminal... No, its not a reason for airlines to come, but DFW just has a bigger reason now to go after airlines with whatever they have - including BS about keeping the Wright ammendment in place.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

PIA747

Tue May 31, 2005 2:50 am

PIA chose Houston. Which i believe was the right choice as it seves as the largest catchment point with great connectivity. However PIA loads are still poor, largely due to their bad marketing practices.

johnboy

Tue May 31, 2005 3:10 am

IMHO, Houston is a MUCH more diverse, international city than Dallas.

Should be no contest.

bartond

Tue May 31, 2005 3:22 am

What is all of this noise about Air India starting up cities like Denver, Dallas, Houston, when they don't fly to SFO, IAD, etc.? Don't they have closer ties with Star and UA than Skyteam or Oneworld?

I don't know enough about any of it to make any judgements but it doesn't seem like these markets should be looked at before the D.C. or Bay area. With which US airlines does Air India have the closest relationship? That might create the needed connection opportunities to make an India-Texas route work. No matter which city (Dallas or Houston) they chose, other Indian pax could hop on a 1-hour flight and be in either city quickly. So maybe the two markets together could support the flight - now it's just time to see if either has the incentives lined up to attract AI.

I still don't see a year round market being there for Houston or Dallas (maybe 3x weekly) but I guess Air India is just chomping at the bit to have more of a presence in the US. Should be interesting either way.

DfwRevolution

Tue May 31, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):

Actually... to some extent it does. I have yet to experience it myself, but if the reviews are any indication, the new Terminal D and people-mover system will make the airport one of the most connection-friendly airports around. Headache free connections have always been a stumbling block for DFW, a stain on an otherwise excellent facility. DFW is more centerally located (geographically) than IAH with a stronger hub presence and connection potential.

That isn't to say the "build it and they will come" mantra didn't play some roll in continuing the project post-9/11. While I have no doubt that Terminal D will be a crown jewel at some point in the future, it's success so far has left much to be desired. These are the type of competitions we built Terminal D to help win, it's time to win one.

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 8):
Houston is a MUCH more diverse, international city than Dallas.

Population wise or industry wise? Ethnic diversity, most likely, but the DFW metroplex boasts a much broader array of business than Houston. DFW is a larger center for banking, finance, high-tech, software development, medical, and retail than Houston's otherwise oil/energy dominated economy.

If Houston is such an amazing city, why the constant inferiority complex?  Wink

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 8):
Should be no contest.

IAH has no plans to offer incentive packages or lobby AI directly. Delegations from Dallas have met repeatedly with AI. It's yours to lose.

jr

Tue May 31, 2005 4:05 am

Quoting PIA747 (Reply 7):
However PIA loads are still poor, largely due to their bad marketing practices.

If i understand correctly PIA does not have fifth freedom rights on O&D traffic to their midway stopping point enroute to IAH (Manchester?). AI, if they start the service, will in all liklihood have those rights to their midway stopping point in Europe (FRA or LHR?). Now that in itself could make or break these flights. Also, I think traffic to India is a lot higher than traffic to Pakistan simply because of the differing sizes of the two countries. It would not surprise me one bit if PIA decides to pull IAH in favor of more profitable ventures elsewhere.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 10):
IAH has no plans to offer incentive packages or lobby AI directly. Delegations from Dallas have met repeatedly with AI. It's yours to lose.

Now that is news to me. But it makes sense that DFW is more desparate to get new international service.

Actually... to some extent it does. I have yet to experience it myself, but if the reviews are any indication, the new Terminal D and people-mover system will make the airport one of the most connection-friendly airports around.

How did ATL's international traffic from non-DL carriers look like before and after their international terminal was built? Didn't traffic there pick up significantly after the terminal came online?
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

shawnnyc

Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 am

Quoting Jr (Reply 11):
If i understand correctly PIA does not have fifth freedom rights on O&D traffic to their midway stopping point enroute to IAH (Manchester?). AI, if they start the service, will in all likelihood have those rights to their midway stopping point in Europe (FRA or LHR?). Now that in itself could make or break these flights. Also, I think traffic to India is a lot higher than traffic to Pakistan simply because of the differing sizes of the two countries. It would not surprise me one bit if PIA decides to pull IAH in favor of more profitable ventures elsewhere.

I concur, Pakistan is actually not a good comparison for Indian carriers given the differences in the respective ethnic pop size and geographic spread in the US, the lack of Western carriers that service Pakistan and the O&D traffic rights between the US and Europe. AI should never serve a US city just twice a week. Its resources would be better served else where.

I agree about the importance of fifth freedom rights from Texas to Europe for Indian carriers. I think that AI should chose between Dallas and Houston based on the competition on the Dallas/Houston - Europe route. Maybe that's why Dallas is still in the running even though many feel Houston should be first (less Europe competition x Dallas). Although given that no carrier serves LHR-IAH, I think AI should transfer the ORD - LHR flights to IAH and purchase slots for a daily frequency on the route. AI knows how to make money on a monopoly route (and AI is not subject to B2 agreement)!

ConcordeBoy

Tue May 31, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting Shawnnyc (Reply 12):
Although given that no carrier serves LHR-IAH,

BA does, with a same-plane stopover in ORD

and AI is not subject to B2 agreement

That's not true.

Just that their destination rights were grandfathered seeing as they've been flying LHR-USA longer than any airline as it exists today.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

DfwRevolution

Tue May 31, 2005 4:57 am

Quoting Jr (Reply 11):
Now that is news to me. But it makes sense that DFW is more desparate to get new international service.

It's in the article

jcs17

Tue May 31, 2005 5:09 am

I really believe that right now, Air India is DFW's to lose. I think this for a couple reasons. Right now, there are only three airlines at DFW to offer "seamless" connections to the Indian subcontinent--KE, LH, and AC. At IAH, there is KL, AF, BA, LH, and AC. That is A LOT of seats to the Indian market. Not to mention the non-Indian regional connections offered by PIA. Dallas has a very tech/telecom heavy economy compared to Houston. Houston might have a larger Indian population, but the larger Indian population means nothing when you consider that airlines would rather start services to cities with a higher amount of business traffic as opposed to VFR (visiting friends and relatives) traffic. The new terminal might not be a big "draw" for AI, but it certainly helps out. Anyone who is familiar with DFW knows that the international end of Terminal B is just a really, really bad joke and it certainly hasn't done anything to help matters.

Anyway, I see this as DFW's to lose at this point. And if they lose it, they ought to fire the DFW Airport board. It's just one gaffe after another with those guys. Unfortunately, bueraucrats never get fired though. That being said, in reality, getting an AI flight a few times a week is nice, but it's really not what DFW should be pushing for. Dallas is the largest market in the US not served by KL, same goes for AF. We've been hearing that JL will be making a comeback, but again, nothing concrete ever gets done.

[Edited 2005-05-30 22:15:50]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

shawnnyc

Tue May 31, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 13):
Although given that no carrier serves LHR-IAH,

BA does, with a same-plane stopover in ORD

That's not true.

Just that their destination rights were grandfathered seeing as they've been flying LHR-USA longer than any airline as it exists today.

I meant non-stop IAH-LHR.

My understanding is that B2 only applies to UK and US airlines (india is not a party to the agreement). Under the current bilaterals with the US and UK, Indian carriers can fly from any UK airport, including LHR, to any US city (obviously it has to be an international airport). My understating is that there is no exception for LHR.

wdleiser

Tue May 31, 2005 5:11 am

I think they should choose IAH over DFW. If they could get a flight from LHR and be able to pick up passengers in LHR they would make a killing. (I have no idea if they can or not due to 5th freedom stuff). Would it hurt them if they did LHR-DFW-IAH like Lufthansa used to do in South Africa? FRA-JHB-CPT?

drerx7

Tue May 31, 2005 5:24 am

Population wise or industry wise? Ethnic diversity, most likely, but the DFW metroplex boasts a much broader array of business than Houston. DFW is a larger center for banking, finance, high-tech, software development, medical, and retail than Houston's otherwise oil/energy dominated economy.

Uhh no..Houston is no longer the oil dependant city of 1980--the Texas Medical Center is the largest in the world. Retail also bests Dallas--No new international terminal will change the fact that Houston IS the international aviation city in Texas--and perhaps the south save for Miami. Air India will more than likely come to IAH--for DFWs sake I hope they go there--somebody needs to go into that white elephant international terminal.  boxedin   box 
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

jr

Tue May 31, 2005 5:36 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 15):
here are only three airlines at DFW to offer "seamless" connections to the Indian subcontinent--KE, LH, and AC

Actually KE is really not seamless. With a big layover at ICN, and both the DFW flights, and the BOM flights not being daily, its really nothing to write home about. The one time i took KE, I flew to Bangkok, and then onto india because the connections were quicker.

The Indian embassy's presence in IAH might just factor into the decsion if the Indian government decides to want its way. Actually AI could easily fly to IAH with a stop at DFW like LH used to do before. Heck they do it with all their flights going out of India that fly all over india and then onto BOM before flying out west. I don't think AI is anybody's to lose just yet.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

drerx7

Tue May 31, 2005 5:43 am

Quoting Jr (Reply 11):
It would not surprise me one bit if PIA decides to pull IAH in favor of more profitable ventures elsewhere.

I expect PIA to wait and see how the nonstop flights with the LR goes before pulling the plug.

B747-437B

Tue May 31, 2005 6:06 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 13):

That's not true.

Air India (or any other Indian carrier) is absolutely NOT subject to the Bermuda II agreement.

Bermuda II is a bilateral agreement between the United States and the United Kingdom. As such, it is only binding on those two countries.

Air India is governed by the US-India and the UK-India bilateral agreements.

In the case of the US-India bilateral agreement, there is an open route schedule that permits Indian carriers to operate from ANY points in India via ANY intermediate points (including London Heathrow) to ANY points in the United States to ANY points beyond with full unrestricted passenger and cargo rights.

In the case of the UK-India bilateral agreement, the route schedule permits Indian carriers to operate to ANY points beyond the United Kingdom with full unrestricted fifth freedom traffic rights.

As such, any Indian carrier could open up flights between London Heathrow and ANY point in the United States that it chooses to, irrespective of the conditions of the Bermuda II agreement to which India is NOT a party.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

DfwRevolution

Tue May 31, 2005 6:06 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 18):
Air India will more than likely come to IAH--for DFWs sake I hope they go there--somebody needs to go into that white elephant international terminal.

Did you even read the part of the article where local business leaders in Houston were bemoaning the fact that IAH has done next to nothing to win AI service? Meanwhile, delegations from Dallas have taken multiple trips to India, invited AI executives to Dallas, and offered incentive packages.

If through some fluke IAH wins the service, that's got to be the biggest prize to land in someone's lap for doing nothing sense... the Rockets managed to stretch the Mavs to 7 games.

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 18):
the Texas Medical Center is the largest in the world.

It's a public treatment hospital, not a world-renown research/university (of which Dallas has two

B747-437B

Tue May 31, 2005 6:12 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 22):
If through some fluke IAH wins the service, that's got to be the biggest prize to land in someone's lap for doing nothing

Air India believes Houston to be the better market and WILL fly to Houston rather than Dallas unless the latter can put together a strong enough package (incentives, etc...) to convince them otherwise.

Air India WANTS to fly this route from the Winter 2005 schedule but that is looking increasingly unlikely now. In all likelihood, these will come into play for the Summer 2006 schedule period.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

thomasphoto60

Tue May 31, 2005 6:37 am

Quoting Jr (Reply 19):
The Indian embassy's presence in IAH

Embassy's are in D.C., Houston has a consulate.

I suppose I will weigh in on this. As a sometime Houston resident, I am certainly rooting for the home team to snag this plum. IMO, if there was one Asian carrier that I thought would really work well with IAH, AI is that carrier. That said, as much as I rail against DFW on a regular basis, I know that they have one hell of a marketing team that goes all out to win new services. I seem to recall when JAL came calling to both Texas airports back in the late 90s, DFW (and their local, state and federal reps) rolled out the red carpet for JL, wined and dined JL officials, while HAS did what they do best......nothing. Rumor has it that HAS and local officials did not even bother to submit a proposal to JAL as not to jeopardize the then pending CO N/S to NRT, whether that is true or not, I can not say. What I find disturbing and reminiscent to the JL story in this article is HAS's apparent indifference. From this outsider's eye, it looks like history might just be repeating itself. As with the JL proposal, one might wonder if HAS might be getting pressure from the home team (CO) not to actively pursue this service. Still that is only wild speculation on my part with nothing to back it up.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

FlyingTexan

Tue May 31, 2005 6:58 am

I’m going to join the proverbial watermelon seed spitting contest between my birthplace and its neighbor to the north.

It's a public treatment hospital, not a world-renown research/university

The Texas Medical Center is the largest and most well-known group of medicine institutions with research spearheaded by two world renowned medical schools and numerous institutions. There is a specialist at the TMC for every little facet known to medicine.

The Texas Medical Center is one of the few good things Houston has going. The Texas Medical Center is not a public treatment hospital. Ben Taub, one of about a dozen hospitals in the TMC, is a county owned facility that serves the uninsured (‘public hospital’).

Although Houston is know for Enrons and Haliburtons, The TMC is quite a reckoning force in the nation’s fourth largest city.

Houston is a very international city, with more foreign consulates save for NY and LA.

IAH’s new Terminal E is pretty cool, too. Heck, so is the now decade and a half old Terminal D (formerly known as/still referred to as IAB).
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Pbb152

Tue May 31, 2005 7:26 am

Remember, Jet Airways is also looking at IAH/DFW for impending service within the next year or two. It seems highly likely to me that one will choose IAH and the other will pick DFW. I seriously doubt both would serve one or the other. So both airports will most likely have same-plane service to India within the next couple of years. Which airline will serve which airport seems to be the question right now.

Pete

thomasphoto60

Tue May 31, 2005 7:35 am

Quoting Pbb152 (Reply 26):
I seriously doubt both would serve one or the other

I agree completely.

Quoting Pbb152 (Reply 26):
Which airline will serve which airport seems to be the question right now.

Frankly, I am hoping that IAH would end up with AI as there is a little more cache with having a nation's 'flag' carrier. Though I would not snub Jet Airways should they decide on IAH.

In any case it is going to be fun to see a good ol' fashion Texas shoot out between the DFW and IAH groups on this board in the coming months.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

jcs17

Tue May 31, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 24):
That said, as much as I rail against DFW on a regular basis, I know that they have one hell of a marketing team that goes all out to win new services. I seem to recall when JAL came calling to both Texas airports back in the late 90s, DFW (and their local, state and federal reps) rolled out the red carpet for JL, wined and dined JL officials, while HAS did what they do best......nothing.

Welcome to 21st century  Smile . The century where DFW officials can't do anything to seal a deal and are ever fearful of seeing the silver birds leaving. I've said it once, and I'll say it again, landing AI really should not be a big deal for DFW. The fact that the DFW Board can't get AF to come back to Dallas is pretty damning in and of itself. There are a whole host of France-based companies including Alcatel, who's American headquaters is in Dallas. Nokia Americas is headquartered right around the corner from DFW! I'd be interested to see how many people actually depart Dallas per day for Helsinki. Texas Instruments' giant corporate headquarters is right off 635. Those are only a few examples, but Dallas has so many international telecom/tech companies headquartered in the Metroplex it's just so hard to believe that DFW could be so toothless in their quest for international carriers.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

aa777jr

Tue May 31, 2005 8:46 am

AI T7 will look great taxing up to the new terminal at DFW. Wish DFW luck in trying to lure them there.

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

drerx7

Tue May 31, 2005 8:56 am

The annual Dallas vs Houston battle takes to a.net. If Air India or Jet Airways can open flights from Heathrow to Dallas or Houston--they'll make a killing on those LHR-Texas flights alone. HAS has never been one to court carriers to get more service to IAH--however I don't think that in this AI battle it will be really needed--Houston can sell itself to AI--Dallas knows this, hence the trip to India. Good luck DFW--your gonna need it.

DfwRevolution

Tue May 31, 2005 9:19 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 28):
Those are only a few examples, but Dallas has so many international telecom/tech companies headquartered in the Metroplex it's just so hard to believe that DFW could be so toothless in their quest for international carriers.

Add:

- Electronic Data Systems (global HQ)
- Exxon Mobile (global HQ)
- Blockbuster
- RadioShack
- Brinker International
- Neimen Marcus
- Zales Corp.
- Pier One
- Perot Group
- Beal Bank
- Nortel Networks (U.S. HQ)

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 30):
Good luck DFW--your gonna need it.

Why thank you kind sir  Yeah sure

behramjee

Tue May 31, 2005 9:39 am

IAH is an obvious choice for AI over DFW. No matter what DFW offers, AI should not succumb to it and should fly 3-4 weekly IAH flights.

If LHR-IAH flights can be done then yeah they can be big time money makers especially with F and J class pax.

jr

Tue May 31, 2005 9:42 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 30):
If Air India or Jet Airways can open flights from Heathrow to Dallas or Houston--they'll make a killing on those LHR-Texas flights alone.

I thinks thats a precision point right there. CO and AA would have to mostly sit and watch if these carriers come in. In the end, thats probably a good reason that both airports have a better than decent probablity of service from Indian carriers. I wonder if 9W or AI will ever join a major alliance. Both one world, and sky team could do more than just a little to determine the texas destination.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

aseem

Tue May 31, 2005 10:57 am

so here we have some more news!!

Texas rivals vie to land Air-India

With Air-India eyeing the Texas market for its newest on-ground hub, Houston and Dallas are engaged in an aerial dogfight to determine which city will land the India's national airline.

Houston has an advantage in demographics with 120,000 residents of Indian descent, and aviation officials in the city estimate that bringing Air-India to Bush Intercontinental Airport would generate at least $200 million in economic benefits to the area.

The Houston Business Journal, however, quoted John Massey, manager of Air-India's marketing programme in New York City as saying that "Right now, there are no definite plans."

"There are no formal decisions that have been arrived at yet, but factors for deciding will include assessment of traffic potential, revenue potential and demographics -- which will be a major determinant," Massey told the journal.

But, according to the report, the North Texas pilots see twice the potential. They feel that the India deal would have an economic impact of $400 million on the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

From the The Hindustan Times

frankly never took this thread that seriously, till I read this news item..
So, it won't be long before we see DFW-MAA direct flight.. footinmouth  and we will robbed of our favourite topic
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

Kahala777

Tue May 31, 2005 11:13 am

Actually... to some extent it does. I have yet to experience it myself, but if the reviews are any indication, the new Terminal D and people-mover system will make the airport one of the most connection-friendly airports around.

You sound like you live in the city of Denver. Antoher city that built it, and they never came... Now did they?

DFW is more centerally located (geographically) than IAH with a stronger hub presence and connection potential.

DFW is north of Houston, with Houston, being a gateway and much closer to the Mexican region. Need we mention the copious amounts of passengers and conenctions fed to Houston for cruises?

While I have no doubt that Terminal D will be a crown jewel at some point in the future, it's success so far has left much to be desired.

A crown jewel? For what?

DFW is a larger center for banking, finance, high-tech, software development, medical, and retail than Houston's otherwise oil/energy dominated economy.

Is that why Houston has PIA, KLM, Air France, and World?

If Houston is such an amazing city, why the constant inferiority complex?

Inferior... You are joking right? Have you ever heard of the $$$ that are being fed to Houston on a daily basis in the oil trade?

Regards - Kahala777

thomasphoto60

Tue May 31, 2005 11:20 am

If Houston is such an amazing city, why the constant inferiority complex? Wink

Can you cite an example?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

shawnnyc

Tue May 31, 2005 11:23 am

Does India have an air agreement with Mexico? If it can, AI should consider extending the IAH or DFW flights to Mexico City.

102IAHexpress

Tue May 31, 2005 11:42 am

There are so many things wrong with that statement I don’t know where to begin. A simple google search lists Houston with more than double the number of Fortune 500 companies than Dallas.
Here’s a list of all the Texas based Fortune 500 companies.

http://www.bidc.state.tx.us/Fortune500Texas.pdf

It's a public treatment hospital, not a world-renown research/university (of which Dallas has two

Oh, and the Texas Medical Center in Houston is the largest medical center in the world not some public treatment hospital. And it’s filled with many doctors who are of Indian or South Asian decent. Exactly the kind of high premium customers, AI will lure with service to IAH.

[Edited 2005-05-31 04:44:23]

kl662

Tue May 31, 2005 1:11 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 38):
There are so many things wrong with that statement I don’t know where to begin. A simple google search lists Houston with more than double the number of Fortune 500 companies than Dallas.
Here’s a list of all the Texas based Fortune 500 companies.

Err, according to the list you link, the Dallas/Ft. Worth area hosts slightly more than half, with Houston slightly less than half (the relevant comparison for our discussion, IMHO). At any rate...

Question: what's the goal of these 2 or 3 flights weekly schedules? Seems like American carriers rarely run such infrequent flights, except for the off-season. How can they attract high-yield business pax? They seem to be more for prestige than anything else.

Re who will get it: I'm solidly in IAH's court and hope they don't drop the ball. Seems like the more logical destination, but DFW wants it more. Maybe IAH can take a cue from Airbus and threaten to sue AI if they go with DFW...  Wink

texdravid

Tue May 31, 2005 1:16 pm

This thread was made for me!!

Unfortunately, DFW fans (I being one of them), I do not see AI coming here.

While DFW has many people of Indian descent, Houston has more. Pure and simple. I'm not saying that IAH is going to get daily service, but maybe thrice weekly or so.

DFW's new Terminal D has absolutely nothing to do with this decision. Nothing. By the way, there was a new article in the DMN about the decision to build Terminal D and other capital projects and how if the airport board knew something like 9/11 would happen none of these capital projects would have been green-lighted.

DFW was one of the up and coming airports in the 80's. Since 9/11 DFW has definitely taken it on the chin, with players like JAL and AF leaving and not coming back, and DL closing up shop. I hardly have any faith in DFW's board to lure AI. This summer, behold the great white elephant in North Texas....lovely Terminal D!!
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

aa777jr

Tue May 31, 2005 1:24 pm

IAH is an obvious choice for AI over DFW

prove it.

mrniji

Tue May 31, 2005 1:24 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 40):
This thread was made for me!!

Would you take AI even if they wouldn't serve MAA nonstop from IAHBig grin
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

aa777jr

Tue May 31, 2005 1:26 pm

That is gonna be crazy for Texas travellers if they can get a n/s flight to LHR on AI. Hope they run some good specials, I would definitely give them a shot!

Regards.

texdravid

Tue May 31, 2005 1:32 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 42):
Would you take AI even if they wouldn't serve MAA nonstop from IAH?

Now where did you get that idea, dude?!!

Heck no! As you know, I am very comfortable with DFW-FRA-MAA on LH!!
It is straightforward, business class is affordable and good, and I stop only once, in a decent airport like FRA.

No, my dream is JET AIRWAYS, DFW-BRU-MAA!! Maybe won't happen, but one can dream!
That is why I hope those guys in IAH get AI, so that when Jet expands, they might, just might think of DFW.  Silly

mrniji

Tue May 31, 2005 1:40 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 44):
No, my dream is JET AIRWAYS, DFW-BRU-MAA!! Maybe won't happen, but one can dream!

crazy   blockhead 

old  I don't think 9W is that silly, as their decisions are business-oriented  devil   flamed   tongue  Big grin  sorry   biting 

(no offence texi, just kidding Big grin )  guilty   bigmouth   sarcastic 
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

COfaninBOS

Tue May 31, 2005 2:00 pm

NUMBER OF FORTUNE 500 COMPANIES in 2005

City of Houston:20
City of Dallas:8

Houston Metro:21
DFW Metroplex:18

NUMBER OF FORTUNE 1000 COMPANIES in 2005

City of Houston:43
City of Dallas:18

Houston Metro:46
DFW Metroplex:39

As stated by others, the Texas Medical Center is the WORLD's largest medical center. I think DFWrevolution was confused because all 42 member institutions in the TMC are not-for-profit. That doesn't translate into inferior service. These 2004 numbers will demonstrate just how big the TMC is...

5.2 million patient visits
10,456 international patients
6,344 beds
4,000 plus doctors
65,300 total employees
11,000 plus registered nurses
22,000 plus students
$3.5 billion in research
26 million gross square feet of space

In fact, Dallas doesn't have a single hopsital ranked in the top 10 in the nation for any field. The TMC in Houston has

#1 Cancer Center (MD ANDERSON CANCER CENTER)
#3 Rehabilitation (TIRR INSTITUTE)
#4 Pediatric Care Center (TEXAS CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL)
#5 Gynacology (MD ANDERSON)
#6 Psychiatry (MENNINGER CLINIC)
#9 Heart and Heart Surgery (ST LUKE'S HEART INSTITUTE)
#10 Ear, Nose, and Throat (MD ANDERSON)
#10 Neurology (METHODIST HOSPITAL)
#10 UROLOGY (MD ANDERSON)

texdravid

Tue May 31, 2005 2:04 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 45):
I don't think 9W is that silly, as their decisions are business-oriented

Exactly, as I'm not holding my breath.  banghead 

I'm talking long term view. As the U.S-India market matures, and the LAX/SFO/IAD/ORD nexus is filled, hopefully secondary markets like DFW and DEN can get ultra-long haul flights to India in the upcoming decades.

ikramerica

Tue May 31, 2005 2:07 pm

Quoting Jr (Reply 6):
steaks

mmm... steaks...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

DfwRevolution

Tue May 31, 2005 2:27 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 40):
By the way, there was a new article in the DMN about the decision to build Terminal D and other capital projects and how if the airport board knew something like 9/11 would happen none of these capital projects would have been green-lighted.

One you obviously did not read because the entire capital project was reevaluated post 9/11. The desicion was made to continue with the projects long before the dirt began to fly.

Quoting COfaninBOS (Reply 46):
I think DFWrevolution was confused because all 42 member institutions in the TMC are not-for-profit.

No that was never a point of contention, thank you. I was born at TMC during a huricane. Nor was the size of TMC, I have little interest in getting in a pissing contest over the size of hospitals unless your ego is really that big Big grin

Quoting COfaninBOS (Reply 46):
In fact, Dallas doesn't have a single hopsital ranked in the top 10 in the nation for any field.

Update your statistics for ICU, we have one of the top ICU in the world.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos