aireuropeuk733

European Charter Airlines- Whatever Happened To...

Tue May 31, 2005 11:07 pm

Being a child of the 80's I always look upon this decade as the best for charter airlines. Many of them in number, lots of different liveries, lots of different equipment. Listed below are the airlines I remember and what became of them. Help with the blanks or others I have forgotten would be gratefully received:

Orion Airways - merged into Britannia when Thomson bought out Horizon

Dan-Air London - suffered huge losses and debt - bought by BA for £1

Air Europe (UK) - Ahh my baby!! Parent company went bust taking AE with it

Air Europa - still around!

Hispania???

Aviaco???

Spantax????

Universair??

BIA - name bought from the then Air UK - went bust?

Cal Air International - became Novair then ceased trading

Paramount Airlines??

Air UK Leisure - became Leisure International - then ???

Airworld???

Air 2000 - became First Choice Airways

Aviogenex - still around?

Monarch Airlines - still around

Britannia Airways - who know what they call themselves this week?!!

Excalibur????

British Airtours - became Caledonian then merged with Flying Colous to JMC, then to Thomas Cook Airlines

More...............

I'm sure the likes of Orion737 and BCAL could help me our here.

Thanks

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

Orion737

RE: European Charter Airlines- Whatever Happened To...

Tue May 31, 2005 11:21 pm

Oh my favourite topic! The ones on your list I know about:

Excalibur - ditched their 320s and was bought by Globespan the long haul tour operator. EXC purchased a DC10 which suffered from highly publicised mechanical problems causing long delays for passengers. It then sank without a trace.

Airworld - was set up by Sunworld holidays to fly its customers to the usual package destinations. Dont know what happened?

Paramount - went bust/ceased trading. Shame loved them MD83s

Dont forget these little beauties: Ambassador, Inter European, AmberAir, Airways Int Cymru, All Leisure, Air UK Leisure and Peach Air.

What a lot of colourful variety of airlines we had in the UK charter sector. Much different now!

aireuropeuk733

Tue May 31, 2005 11:25 pm

What about Air Europe SpA - didn't this get tied up with Volare?

AE733

Leej

Tue May 31, 2005 11:30 pm

Another 'odd' operator was TBG - I suppose although they were on the Irish register we should include them as they did a lot of capacity flying here in the UK. I had the pleasure of taking my one and only L1011 trip with them - great bird!
Air Europe - my all time favourite too - many many trips, including their first into FNC back in '79

Hey AirEuropeUK733 - you in Chichester too?

aireuropeuk733

Tue May 31, 2005 11:45 pm

Leej

Yep - contact me through intant messenger and we'll chat about how great (not!) the city is!

AE733

FLYtoEGCC

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:05 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 1):
Airworld - was set up by Sunworld holidays to fly its customers to the usual package destinations. Dont know what happened?

Airworld's parent company Sunworld was bought out by Thomas Cook shortly after it became JMC. Their A320s (registered in the G-BXK*) range then flew for JMC alongside the ex-Caledonian ones.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

BCAL

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Thread starter):
I'm sure the likes of Orion737 and BCAL could help me our here.

From BCal's memory:

• I believe that Iberia acquired Aviaco and brought in their operations under the IB umbrella
  • Spantax I recall went bust but were also under investigation for breaches of regulations and safety issues
  • BIA like other names in British aviation folded (about 1986/88 I think) but the name was not brought from Air UK. It was a separate company but possibly established by former AirUK directors.
  • CalAir was jointly owned by British Caledonian and The Rank Organisation. BA took over British Caledonian and Caledonian became the name of the BA charter subsidiary. Cal Air was surplus to their requirements so they sold it to Rank who was left on their own and renamed the airline Nov Air. After a short period Rank pulled out from tour operations and the airline was wound up.
  • Monarch are still around and going strong, although their principal activity is fast becoming that of a LCC. In fact, they are now the longest established UK charter airline still operating under the same name and owned by the same company.
  • Britannia - TUI are thinking up another new name to ensure that nothing remains of the Britannia brand, and details will soon be announced.
  • You forgot Laker Airways who not only operated Skytrain across the Pond but also had a very active charter arm, operating principally for Laker Holidays and Arrowsmith. Laker folded in February 1982.
  • Court Line, Channel Airways and British Eagle were probably before your time. Monarch was formed by former British Eagle directors, who left the company before its collapse.
  • Another airline was Sabre that went on to become Excel. I believe that former Dan-Air directors were among Sabre's founders.

I will check my records and see if I can dig up any further information about other UK charter airlines.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Skymonster

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:32 am

Hispania??? Aviaco??? Spantax???? Universair?? Aviogenex - still around?

Hispania was born out of the remains of another famous name, TransEuropa, but went bust after it added a couple of 757s to the fleet. Aviaco reverted to domestic scheduled ops in Spain then merged back into Iberia. The legendary Spantax collapsed, sadly. Universair went bust I think, and Aviogenex still exists although it seems to only lease out a/c now rather than operate in its own right.

I remember a few other Spanish charter operators too - TAE (Caravelles, DC-8 "Sunshineliners"), Air Spain (Britannias, then DC-8s - I personally don't remember the Bristols, but I do the DC-8s), TransEuropa (Caravelles), CTA / Canafrica (DC-8s, then MD-80s), NortJet (737-400s), Viva Air (737-300s, merged into Iberia)...

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

aireuropeuk733

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:35 am

Thanks for the info - With regards BIA what I meant was that the name was used with the permision of Air UK as Air UK came about by a merger of the original BIA and Anglia (I think) amongst others...

Also Inex-Adria Aviopromet (Yugoslavia) became Adria Airways - the national airline of Slovenia.

AE733

mhodgson

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:37 am

Taken over by Air 2000 I think.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

aireuropeuk733

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:39 am

Didn't some former directors of Sabre form Cougar Leasing after Sabre became Excel? Then Cougar went bust?

And TEA (became easyjet Switzerland?) - just like Air Europe they tried to put a charter airline in each country - just like Thomas Cook and Tui (or whatever stupid name they want to call Britannia this hour!) are doing now. Both TEA and Air Europe were ahead of their time!

AE733

BCAL

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:42 am

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Reply 10):
Didn't some former directors of Sabre form Cougar Leasing after Sabre became Excel? Then Cougar went bust?

Correct 100%
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Orion737

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:50 am

i loved Cougars 'quiet' 727s best bird ever.

BCAL

Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Reply 8):
With regards BIA what I meant was that the name was used with the permission of Air UK as Air UK came about by a merger of the original BIA and Anglia (I think) amongst others...

I suddenly remembered the name of the chairman of British Island Airways (Peter Villa) and did a goggle search which brought up the following information about BIA:

In 1980 BIA merged with Air Anglia to form AirUK, which went on to become one of the principal domestic UK carriers

In 1982 Peter Villa arranged a management buy out of BIA from AirUK. The new BIA initially started as a charter airline using a handful of BAC1-11s (or perhaps Rambacs?). The airline acquired MD83s and started a scheduled service between LGW and Catania. The airline folded and was forced into liquidation in the late 1980s.

Interestingly, Peter Villa is named as the operations director of FlyFirst, an airline proposing luxury 48-seater flights between London and New York, beginning in November 2005.

Orion737

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:18 am

Just remembered the lovley Novair with its DC10-10s and what about those bananas Virgin Sun.

BCAL

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:29 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 14):
Virgin Sun

Virgin pulled out from European inclusive tours selling their outfit to another major tour operator. Their planes were not needed and most ended up in storage in the desert until put back into service with other airlines.

oldeuropean

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:37 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 6):
Spantax I recall went bust but were also under investigation for breaches of regulations and safety issues

They lost already 4 or 5 aircrafts. In the 70th also here in Cologne one CV 990 landed without landing gears, which was later written off. I still have some little pieces of the wreck.

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

Orion737

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:39 am

I heard Novair's DC10-10s included one flown by Laker years before.

Capital146

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:46 am

Here's a few more for you:

Viva Air
Oasis International
Centennial
Air Columbus
Air Atlantis
Air Sul
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

A340600

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:47 am

Ahhh, Peach Air, how I remember them Smile! Those were different days!

Airtours and Caledonian, two of my favourite charters are also no longer around. Well Airtours turned into MYT in one of the worst rebrands in aviation history Wink

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

BCAL

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:10 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 17):
I heard Novair's DC10-10s included one flown by Laker years before.

British Caledonian acquired from Laker's liquidators the leases on 3 ex-Laker DC10-10s which were immediately assigned to BCal Charter that went on to become CalAir and then Novair.

BCAL

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 19):
Well Airtours turned into MYT in one of the worst rebrands in aviation history

And Britannia into tui - just as bad!

goldcrest

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:24 am

Translift took over All Leisure, then renamed transAer

bananaboy

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:31 am

Ahhh, Peach Air, how I remember them Smile! Those were different days!

Peach Air were 'interesting!' - even sprayed Peach Air freshener around the cabin after the doors were shut!

Quoting BCAL (Reply 6):
Britannia - TUI are thinking up another new name to ensure that nothing remains of the Britannia brand, and details will soon be announced.

Really? Where did you hear this? Another rebrand from thomsonfly?

Quoting BCAL (Reply 6):
You forgot Laker Airways who not only operated Skytrain across the Pond but also had a very active charter arm, operating principally for Laker Holidays and Arrowsmith. Laker folded in February 1982.

Didn't they come back in the 90's for a brief spell? I am sure I remember them returning to UK-Florida market.

Also, there was an airline called "fly Europa" which operated 737-200's and were going in 2001. Used to see them occasionally in Pula.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

bananaboy

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:38 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 9):

With regard to Leisure International and Air UK Leisure, they were actually operating simulataneously.. using the codes UKL and LEI respectively.

They were seperate brands as I believe they wanted to differentiate between the short haul product of Air UK Leisure and the long haul operations of Leisure International.

Mark

BCAL

Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:43 am

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 23):

No rumour, just me being sarcastic about the killing of a leading name in British Civil Aviation!

Didn't they come back in the 90's for a brief spell? I am sure I remember them returning to UK-Florida market

Correct, Sir Freddie Laker did start another Laker Airways a few years after the passing of the Laker (Skytrain) Airways but this was based in the US/Bahamas. He even leased some DC10s which were painted in very similar colours and it was good to see the Laker red and black livery back at LGW. The new Laker offered enhanced facilities (a stark contrast to the Skytrain) but was not successful. The Florida-UK market was short lived for Laker Mk 2 but I believe he did continue charter flights with 727s between Canada and Florida that soon became restricted to flights between Florida and the Bahamas. That operation also recently ceased.

bananaboy

RE: European Charter Airlines- Whatever Happened T

Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:01 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 25):
No rumour, just me being sarcastic about the killing of a leading name in British Civil Aviation!

Hahahaha.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 25):
He even leased some DC10s which were painted in very similar colours and it was good to see the Laker red and black livery back at LGW. The new Laker offered enhanced facilities (a stark contrast to the Skytrain) but was not successful.

I seem to remember a reason behind them foundering was the demands of high commision from the major travel agents in return for brochure racking space. That, and the premium prices charged for the product.

Mark

cgnnrw

Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:20 am

Anybody remember Condor of Germany? Condor was one of Germany's leading charter airlines with a very devout following in Germany. It was a brand that stood for quality, dependability and good service. Condor was taken over by Thomas Cook butthead  . Now they call themselves Thomas Cook "powered by Condor".  yuck  How insepid! "Powered by Condor"??? What does that stand for? Absolutely nothing in my opinion. Did anyone at Thomas Cook ever hear of the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?
A330 man.

jmc757

Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:30 am

Just to give a bit more detail on the whole Excalibur story. Globespan bought Excalibur in November/December of 1995 wanting an in-house airline. At the time Excalibur were an independent charter carrier with a good reputation.

Globespan got rather excited at having an airline of their own and thought long haul routes were the way forward. Decided they'd start flying to Orlando from the following April and started selling seats. December - April is not a very long time to set up long haul operations in an airline that has no experience of this - yet Globespan soldiered on. The plan was to acquire 2 DC10s from somewhere. In early 1996 this deal collapsed and it all started looking a bit pear shaped. Seats had been sold, crew had been recruited/training was starting, just no aircraft.

The first few Excalibur long haul flights were sub-chartered to everyone and anyone (Laker, Tower Air, Virgin, Lauda to name a few). Eventually Excalibur managed to secure a dry lease on a DC10 registered in Anitigua owned by SkyJet. The aircraft was a bit of a dog. Not in great shape and terribly unreliable. Subcharters and rebooking pax continued as the aircraft was often tech. Things took a turn for the worse in May when it was operating a return MCO-MAN. After being heavily delayed passengers boarded the aircraft. After reports of smoke in the cabin and burning smells the aircraft returned to stand. Passengers refused to reboard the aircraft due to concerns. Excalibur took off leaving around 100 passengers. After a while it hit the news. After a day of terrible press for EXC in the UK, the passengers were booked onto a Virgin flight.

Sadly things didnt get much better. Aircraft reliability was constantly poor, more expensive sub-charters, and in June a repeat performance of the Orlando scenes in Manchester meant Excalibur were again in the news. By late June Globespan decided they no longer could finance the airline and pulled the plug overnight. Staff turning up for work being sent home not a pretty sight.

In little over 6 months Globespan had given a masterclass in how to ruin a good airline. Perhaps the saddest part of the story is that Globespan now have a very succesful short-haul airline, and are planning to launch long haul. Seems they are doing their home work this time round though.

Air Colombus! What did happen to them, took a flight with them once BHX-FAO, return leg via Bristol. What fun! Guess they quietly dissapeared like so many others.

Orion737

Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:16 am

I remember Air Columbus, they operated 727-200 and 737-300sfor tour operators to Madeira and the Algarve.

GVBIG

Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:25 am

Leisure International = ULE
Air UK Leisure = LEI

Both combined = LEI
Hope that helps
Booked it, Packed it, f*cked off!

bananaboy

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting GVBIG (Reply 30):
Air UK Leisure = LEI

Both combined = LEI
Hope that helps

I know it says that on airline codes website, but I beg to differ. Never did I sell a flight on Leisure International with an LEI code.

Weird. scratchchin 

Mark

GVBIG

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:14 am

BananaBoy, well I flew on a Leisure International A320 to Mahon. Think the flight number was LEI8811 or something.
Booked it, Packed it, f*cked off!

by188b

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:16 am

I remember the Rich international DC-10 at GLA on the orlando charters, What happened to them?
next flights : BD LHR-TXL J, FR SXF-STN Y, SN BRU-LHR Y, MA LHR-BUD Y, BA BUD-LHR J, BA LCY-SNN-JFK J, BA JFK-LHR J, BA

Orion737

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:23 am

I flew EMA-TFS on Air Uk Leisure 737-400 series flight number UKL****

bananaboy

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:28 am

Quoting GVBIG (Reply 32):
BananaBoy, well I flew on a Leisure International A320 to Mahon. Think the flight number was LEI8811 or something.

Ooops. My bad.

What I meant to say was that I never saw the ULE code associated with Leisure International.

I think that Orion737 is correct... Air UK Leisure was UKL and Leisure Intl was LEI and when the brands were merged, the UKL was discontinued.

Sorry.

Mark

[Edited 2005-06-01 00:31:00]

FLYtoEGCC

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:33 am

Quoting GVBIG (Reply 30):
Air UK Leisure = LEI

Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that when the airline was under the control of Air UK, an independent airline at the time before it was taken over by KLM, the "Air UK Leisure" brand flew using the UKL code, as Orion737 said. Shortly after they took delivery of their first 767, Air UK sold off the "Air UK Leisure" arm to Unijet Holidays, which dropped the "Air UK" but retained the "Leisure", hence Leisure International Airways and the use of the "LEI" code (as UKL was retained by Air UK.)

A few years later, Unijet Holidays was taken over by First Choice and the airline was incorporated into Air 2000. Unijet still exists as a First Choice Group brand, with FCA being the airline marketed in their brochures as with all First Choice Group companies.

(Some of the above may be incorrect - I wasn't that old at the time and some of the mergers/closures/buy-outs got quite confusing, but I think it's right.)

Orion737

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:42 am

Code for Air UK Leisure was definitley UKL back in the days of the 737-400 fleet anyway.

bananaboy

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:46 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 37):
Code for Air UK Leisure was definitley UKL back in the days of the 737-400 fleet anyway.

... yup, to differentiate from the rather good scheduled services of Air UK ("UK")

Incidentally, why don't BA use different flight codes on their charters? (They didn't last time I checked.) The flight number may be part of a "series" dedicated to charters, but still with the "BA" prefix.

Mark

[Edited 2005-06-01 00:47:33]

FLYtoEGCC

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:38 am

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 38):
Incidentally, why don't BA use different flight codes on their charters? (They didn't last time I checked.) The flight number may be part of a "series" dedicated to charters

All the BA ones I've seen have a BA prefix and flight number 9xxxC. I would suspect that the reason they don't have a separate code is because they don't have a charter subsidiary as such.

In the case of UK and UKL, UKL was operated as subsidiary and hence was a different company and different flight code. A good comparison to this would be Caledonian when it was under the control of BA. Caledonian was a BA subsidiary but operated with its own flight code, CKT, rather than using BA. The obvious difference between the two cases is that UKL retained the "Air UK" brand in its livery and corporate identity, where as there was no trace of BA anywhere in the Caledonian brand.

The difference with most BA charters now is that they are ad-hoc using aircraft and crew from the main BA fleet rather than regular dedicated charters, and are not operated by/as a subsidiary company - hence the use of BA flight codes.

Orion737

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:55 am

I remember in the early days of Caledonian its code was plain old KT no C just like British Airtours

bananaboy

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:27 am

Quoting FLYtoEGCC (Reply 39):
The difference with most BA charters now is that they are ad-hoc using aircraft and crew from the main BA fleet rather than regular dedicated charters, and are not operated by/as a subsidiary company - hence the use of BA flight codes.

They used to do regular charters from LGW to FAO if I remember correctly. Is that not still the case?

Thanks for the "C" thing too - had forgotten about that.

Mark

SignalOne

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:48 am

Hi,

Well Airtours turned into MYT in one of the worst rebrands in aviation history

Well, they are still here, and are growing stronger all the time, as well as improving, there new meals are award winning! I think the MyTravel brand is now well known, and they have managed to retain the respect the Airtours brand gave them, despite money issues.  Smile

There's no hiding the fact that they are one of the best Charter Airlines in the UK!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Erik Frikke

and in the new Airtours brochure they have finally included some more in-depth information on MyTravel Airways! Hoorah!  Wink

I would not be surprised at "flyTUI", it rhymes.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 9):

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 24):
They were seperate brands as I believe they wanted to differentiate between the short haul product of Air UK Leisure and the long haul operations of Leisure International.

Quoting FLYtoEGCC (Reply 36):
Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that when the airline was under the control of Air UK, an independent airline at the time before it was taken over by KLM, the "Air UK Leisure" brand flew using the UKL code, as Orion737 said. Shortly after they took delivery of their first 767, Air UK sold off the "Air UK Leisure" arm to Unijet Holidays, which dropped the "Air UK" but retained the "Leisure", hence Leisure International Airways and the use of the "LEI" code (as UKL was retained by Air UK.)

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, and here you will find lots of information on this Leisure/AirUK brand, and a summary of the situation by myself:
Leisure Airways (by NCLairport Mar 10 2005 in Civil Aviation)

Hope this helps, Ryan  Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © A J Best

Golf - Bravo Romeo India Foxtrot

Crosswind

Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:03 pm

A little bit of history...

Air UK Leisure was formed as the charter division of Air UK in 1988, initially operating a pair of second-hand B737-200s but with a fleet of brand new B737-400s on order when they became available from 1989. ICAO code was UKL

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão
View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Morley

In 1992 Unijet Holidays ordered 2 B767s to expand their market for long-haul flights. Having no in-house airline Unijet approached the independent Air UK Leisure to manage the operation of these aircraft. The B767s were leased directly from ILFC to Unijet, who contracted Air UK Leisure for their operation. When delivered in 1993 the Unijet B767s were operated under the Leisure International Airways name to reflect the different nature of this operation - essentialy operating someonelse's aircraft on their AOC. ICAO code was ULE

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Morley

From 1993 onwards Air UK Leisure adopted LEI as their ICAO code, and the B737 fleet began to be repainted will billboard Leisure titles as on the B767 but at this stage the company still operated as Air UK Leisure, separately to Leisure International.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Toni Marimon

When KLM took full control of Air UK the decision was taken to spin off the charter division due to it being non-core business for KLM. Air UK Leisure was sold to Unijet, and so from the start of summer 1996 the whole operation became known as Leisure International Airways as rights to use the Air UK name were not included in the deal.

The B737 fleet were leased/owned by KLM through Air UK so when the charter division was sold these aircraft had to be returned to KLM. The A320 family was selected to replace the B737-400s, initially second-hand A320s were used pending availability of the new A321-200 when it became available in 1997. At this stage both the LEI and ULE codes were used, despite Leisure Interational being a single company.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Morley
View Large View Medium

Photo © Toni Marimon

With the introduction of the A320/321 Leisure International took the decision to standardise on Airbus aircraft and 2 A330-200s were ordered for delivery in 2000. Also in 1998 the ICAO code changed to LEI for the whole operation, but this was to be Leisure's last year of operation as Unijet was bought out by First Choice in mid-1998. Just a couple of weeks later in July 1998 Leisure's latest A321 was delivered in basic Air 2000 colours...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Toni Marimon

Leisure International was integrated into Air 2000 and ceased to exist from the start of November 1998 - the last A320 was retired, the A321/B767 was retained and the following year the A330 order was cancelled.

Regards
CROSSWIND

aireuropeuk733

Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:13 pm

More nostalgia! I have spent time finding the below. Lets wallow!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

View Large View Medium

Photo © Derek Ferguson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Duckworth

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Allan

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eduard Marmet

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerhard Plomitzer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Myers

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner - WorldAirImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joan Martorell

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

Enjoy!

AE733

BCAL

Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:03 pm

Quoting AE733

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Myers

This is the former Laker DC10 "Southern Belle"

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Robinson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mick Bajcar

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Robinson

So this answers Orion 737s post at Reply 17 above

jumpjet

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:12 pm

I used to love Paramount. We used to fly from Bristol to Faro with them every couple of months until they finally went out of business. The flight times were so convenient and as we lived just 30 minutes or so from the airport, we'd leave home at about 7 and by 11.30 or so we'd be sat in our garden at our place on the Algarve with a gin, happy days.

At the time most of the charter airlines had B737-200 and I recall that the MD83 seemed so quiet. I'm fairly sure that we were on one of the Paramount aircraft waiting to take off at Faro when news came through that the British Airtours 737 had crashed on take-off at Manchester airport. We ended up sat on that aircraft for 7 hours before we finally took off!

Paramount also used to do some quite lengthy charters, they used to go to Goa with the MD83s, I guess they must have stopped somewhere in the Middle East to refuel, can anyone confirm this please?

It was a sad day when Paramount stopped flying, they were a breath of fresh air...

SignalOne

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:46 pm

In Pictures:

Airtours International Airways

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joan Martorell

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Logan

View Large View Medium

Photo © Derek Ferguson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Morley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jordi Grife - Iberian Spotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Carter

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joe Fernandez

View Large View Medium

Photo © Europix

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Hill

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juha Portti

MyTravel Airways

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Moores

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Tsagaris - CYOW Airport Watch

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Martin - AirTeamImages

Sad

View Large View Medium

Photo © Torben Guse

Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stefan Sjögren – Stockholm Arlanda Photography

Cheers, Ryan bigthumbsup 

View Large View Medium

Photo © Toni Marimon

Golf - Bravo Romeo India Foxtrot

diesel1

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:09 pm

Quoting JumpJet (Reply 46):
I'm fairly sure that we were on one of the Paramount aircraft waiting to take off at Faro when news came through that the British Airtours 737 had crashed on take-off at Manchester airport. We ended up sat on that aircraft for 7 hours before we finally took off!

Wouldn't have been a Paramount aircraft, as they commenced operations in 1987, and the British Airtours accident was August 22nd 1985.
I can remember hearing of the tragedy - stuck in a traffic jam on the North Circular in London.

Quoting JumpJet (Reply 46):
Paramount also used to do some quite lengthy charters, they used to go to Goa with the MD83s, I guess they must have stopped somewhere in the Middle East to refuel, can anyone confirm this please?

I believe it was Rhodes and Sharjah

Cheers
I don't like signatures...

jumpjet

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:33 pm

Diesel1, thanks for putting me right, my mistake! Can't honestly remember what we were on that day in 1985 then! We used to go out so often on such a variety of charters, thanks anyway.