LAXDESI
Topic Author

Jet Airways News

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:35 am

From ATW daily news, link:
http://www.atwonline.com/news/other.html?issueDate=6%2F1%2F2005

Jet Airways of India is in final talks concerning an order for up to 15 long-haul aircraft to replace and supplement three A340s leased from South African Airways and four new A330s that will be leased from ILFC beginning next April. Jet is evaluating aircraft such as the A340-600 and 777-300ER and availability of delivery positions in 2007 is a key criterion, CEO Wolfgang Prock-Schauer told ATWOnline in Tokyo at the IATA AGM. "Our priority is to expand our long-haul operation," he said. Jet will increase its daily London flight to thrice-daily as soon as possible; "We just bought two more slots at London Heathrow, one from United," Prock-Schauer revealed. The airline also plans to add cities such as Manchester or Birmingham and swap widebodies for the 737s currently being operated on some Asia routes, such as to Singapore. Prock-Schauer prefers to open new routes to China instead of Japan, along with routes to Africa such as Durban and Nairobi. Services to France and Germany are desired as well. But the next step, he said, is to launch nonstop flights to New York as soon as possible. "We start with six weekly flights via Brussels to New York on June 23. We have not decided if we will go to JFK or Newark," but Jet will codeshare on the flights with Continental Airlines, which has a hub at Newark. He would not confirm reports that Jet will lease two A340-500s from Emirates, but sources close to both carriers confirmed to this website that Jet is in talks about the deal and aircraft should be available for the coming winter.

THREE FLIGHTS TO LONDON AND LOOKS LIKE THEY HAVE THE GATES.
NONSTOPS TO NEW YORK ASAP.
NEW ROUTES TO CHINA( POSSIBLE GIVEN THE NEW BILATERALS)

I am impressed with what Jet plans to accomplish in a short period. My best wishes and lots of luck to them.

flyguy1

RE: Jet Airways News

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:23 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Thread starter):
"We start with six weekly flights via Brussels to New York on June 23. We have not decided if we will go to JFK or Newark,"

The service starts in 3 weeks, and they havent decided which airport yet??
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

shawnnyc

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:29 am

Quoting Flyguy1 (Reply 1):
The service starts in 3 weeks, and they havent decided which airport yet??

I doubt it on local Indian tv, like Namaste America, here in NYC there are tv ads for lufthansa and I think AI but nothing about Jet starting.

ourboeing

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:26 am

Jet is evaluating aircraft such as the A340-600 and 777-300ER and availability of delivery positions in 2007 is a key criterion, CEO Wolfgang Prock-Schauer told ATWOnline in Tokyo at the IATA AGM.

Is this guy the CEO of 9W?

JOYA380B747

Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:36 pm

I wish that all this would happen as soon as possible...
Regds
JOY
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

schipholjfk

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:40 pm

Quoting Ourboeing (Reply 3):
Jet is evaluating aircraft such as the A340-600 and 777-300ER and availability of delivery positions in 2007 is a key criterion, CEO Wolfgang Prock-Schauer told ATWOnline in Tokyo at the IATA AGM.

Is this guy the CEO of 9W?

Yes he is. He is a German national.
The fun of flying... love it !!!

B747-437B

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:56 pm

Quoting Schipholjfk (Reply 5):
He is a German national.

Austrian.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

mrniji

Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:06 pm

I am just curious 9and I know this will end in an A vs B):

Will 9W probably go for the A34X series as opposed to the B77X, as they have leased A343s from SA and will probably lease A345s from EK?
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

N77014

Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:41 pm

Interesting points.

The codeshare with CO allows CO to have the help of a known player in the Indian market help fill seats. What this does to the EWR-BRU service remains to be seen, but at least from the CO side, guaranteed seat fill ex EWR on a flight that already had good yields to begin with. For 9W, this means the ability to fill seats from practically every corner of the USA in a market which has good O/D to India anyway.

BRU wins because this is new service altogether to a potentially huge transit market.

How the 9W product performs will go a long way to deciding if they become a future Skyteam partner.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

mrniji

Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:49 pm

Quoting N77014 (Reply 8):
BRU wins because this is new service altogether to a potentially huge transit market.

How the 9W product performs will go a long way to deciding if they become a future Skyteam partner.

Two good points! Even I prefer BRU to AMS (no direct competition, and good proportion of ethnic population in the Antwerps area, plus diplomatic city), but I am in the minority.. they could really build on 5th freedom in addition

I hope 9W keeps their standards and - should they join SkyTeam in any future - be the premium airline within! Hope they do not surrender their quality in the context.

What I want to know: has anyone taken 9W to LHR? Is their international product as good as the domestic one? i guess it is very difficult to maintain the standards
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

B742

Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:54 pm

I hope 9W opt for the 346, we need some more 346 operators! Big grin

Rob!

HAWK21M

Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:56 pm

If the News is reliable  Smile
Good days ahead for 9Wbigthumbsup 
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

karan69

Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:57 pm

Newyork non-stop will be great, but does that mean they will stop BRU-EWR and go via BRU--SFO/LAX/IAH/BOS etc....

N77014

Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:08 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 9):
Quoting N77014 (Reply 8):

Two good points! Even I prefer BRU to AMS (no direct competition, and good proportion of ethnic population in the Antwerps area, plus diplomatic city), but I am in the minority.. they could really build on 5th freedom in addition

BRU has got to be the largest/underutilized airport in Europe. It has an ideal location, excellent rail links, good terminal, etc. If they were smart (a question to be decided), they would go all out to ensure 9W was welcomed with open arms.

Will the CO codeshare be exclusive to BRU-India, or all the way to EWR if EWR is the intended airport?

Will Indian pax prefer JFK or EWR?

Will the BRU stopover go away if the A346's are acquired?

How important will Skyteam membership be to 9W once this service is in place?

[Edited 2005-06-02 12:14:00]

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:17 pm

Quoting N77014 (Reply 13):
Will the BRU stopover go away if the A346's are acquired?

I think they are planning to take two A345s, and there is no reason they can not have both a one stop and non stop to New York area. I hope they use the A345s to offer non stop service to SFO or LAX.

Quoting N77014 (Reply 13):
Will Indian pax prefer JFK or EWR?

EWR is a bigger market from BOM.

lumumba

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:01 am

Hi everybody.
Talks with SN Brussels airlines are under way to have a code-share on the Mumbay-Brussels track.
Regards
Patrice

tnsaf

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:11 am

9W's service level is something that Skyteam should aspire to. 9W could teach Delta, NW and CO a few lessons in service!
700 hours and counting...

N77014

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:18 am

So, possibly a BOM-BRU (SN codeshare) and a BRU-EWR to compete with CO.

Or is the possibility of codesharing both sectors with CO there?

My point of view:
Codeshare on both sectors with each carrier, permitting maximum ability to feed pax.
Make EWR the gateway for North America.
Utilize the availability of slots to make BRU their principle stopover point the way AI uses FRA.
If extremely successful, perhaps CO could consider capacity/frequency upgrades to BRU. (It has already happened in AMS).
As for SN; a great way to feed their BRU hub, but since they have no North American destinations, I feel they are missing on the lion's share of revenue that this cooperation could bring.
Minimal risk for all involved.

HanginOut

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:20 am

delivery positions in 2007 is a key criterion, CEO Wolfgang Prock-Schauer told ATWOnline

Delivery slots will probably be the determining factor, although price always plays its part. Jet is in a rush to get aircraft before someone other than Air India starts operating these routes. Being both an Airbus and Boeing fan I can't wait to fly on Jet, as I'm planning on going to India for holidays later this year.

Also, concerning alliances, why Skyteam and not Star or Oneworld?
Dreaming of the day I can work for an airline

GuyBetsy1

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:31 am

9W doesn't even fly to the US yet, and you can already issue an E-ticket on 9W on their entire route network through any SABRE equipped travel agency in the USA.

That's because 9W probably uses an interface for Sabre in India.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:54 am

Quoting N77014 (Reply 17):
Make EWR the gateway for North America.
Utilize the availability of slots to make BRU their principle stopover point the way AI uses FRA

New India-BRU bilaterals allow 21 weekly flights, which may not be enough to cover all of North America using BRU as a scissor hub, as LH does with Frankfurt. I think the bilaterals can be easily revised to increase frequency.

N77014

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:58 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 20):
New India-BRU bilaterals allow 21 weekly flights, which may not be enough to cover all of North America using BRU as a scissor hub, as LH does with Frankfurt. I think the bilaterals can be easily revised to increase frequency

Silly when SN does not even serve India.

sunnyb

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:04 am

Jet will increase its daily London flight to thrice-daily as soon as possible

Thrice daily?? Is there such a demand? Just curious.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:15 am

Quoting N77014 (Reply 21):
Silly when SN does not even serve India.

There is hardly any O&D traffic from BRU to India. Perhaps in future when SN is part of a bigger EU Airline, we might see some service to India, but with LH using FRA, AF using CDG, and NW/KLM using AMS, it seems unlikely.

The recently revised bilaterals with UK, France and Germany provide for more seats than the demand for India/EU and India/USA sector.

IMO, Jet may use BRU as a temporary hub and look to buy more gates at LHR and serve both India/UK and India/USA markets. Using LHR as a scissor hub is more logical than any other EU point, as LHR has more O&D traffic from India than all of EU put together. They currently have gate rights at LHR to accommodate three daily terminator flights from India.

N77014

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:22 am

9W can live off LHR O/D alone. It might be worth settling on the BRU expansion idea since there is no competition in that sector, SN is eager to codeshare with them, and the terminal is well setup for transit.

LHRCS

Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:15 am

Yippee..

More work for us..

Been on 9W ck-in for a week now at LHR and yes from what I'v seen they do have a very good product.

As for going thrice daily, it will work. Not only will you have high level of local demand, there is a very high level of connection traffic to India that currently uses connections such as DXB (EK), AUH-BAH (GF), DOH (QR), FRA (LH) plus many more. This is not even taking into account their possible connection traffic through India onto other countries as they expand internationally.

Its early days yet so lets see what happens but I have a feeling that they will set the standard that every body else will have to follow to compete successfully on the UK-India market.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:20 am

Quoting LHRCS (Reply 25):
This is not even taking into account their possible connection traffic through India onto other countries as they expand internationally.

Possible one stop connections through India from UK:
NRT,HKG, BKK, KL, SIN, and SYD.

Many of these locations are served non stop currently, but Jet can get a slice of that business, especially leisure, if they offer good scheduling and prices.
It may be few years before it becomes reality.

karan69

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:28 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 26):
NRT,HKG, BKK, KL, SIN, and SYD.

Except for SYD, i really dont see anyone flying on 9W to the other cities mentioned by you.
Who in the right mind would fly 10 hrs first from LHR/UK to BOM/DEL and then another 8-9 hrs to NRT when the non-stop flight between UK-NRT-is 11 odd hrs, served daily by BA/VS/JAL/ANA

Same for HKG, which has 9-10 non-stops between LHR and HKG a day, served by renowned carriers like BA/VS/CX/QF.

SIN,--there are several daily flights between SIN and UK operated by the likes of SQ/BA

KUl/BKK--these are also well covered by their national carriers and i doubt there is need to increase any capacity for these two sectors.

SO all in all i do see India/9W being used as a transit point for AUS/NZ markets but not for the above mentioned ones

mrniji

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:42 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 27):
Except for SYD, i really dont see anyone flying on 9W to the other cities mentioned by you.
Who in the right mind would fly 10 hrs first from LHR/UK to BOM/DEL and then another 8-9 hrs to NRT when the non-stop flight between UK-NRT-is 11 odd hrs, served daily by BA/VS/JAL/ANA

If the price is OK, people will do it (provided the GOI decides to blow up these shabby pisspots of airports soon and replaces them with "state-of-the-art" ones, like these crazy Malls in Gurgaon here - which I hate personally but the majority loves)

shawnnyc

Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:08 am

Why doesn't Jet use MAN for their North American hub? MAN has O&D to India. With BRU Jet will not be able to fill many of the seats emptied by US pax getting off in BRU. My understanding is that indian carriers have no limits on flights India to MAN.

LJ

Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:25 am

If extremely successful, perhaps CO could consider capacity/frequency upgrades to BRU. (It has already happened in AMS).

Why??? They can offer more connectiones ex AMS (on KL) than from BRU. Moreover, i would guess CO would prefer any service to run via AMS as they don't have any feed ex BRU but do have ex AMS.

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 9):

The question is whether it will be a good transfer point for Jet once AA enters the same BRU-BOM market (which is rumoured to be the case as of next Winter). Moreover if Jet decides to join Skyteam I don't think BRU would be a logical destination as CDG and AMS are the Skyteam hubs for Western Europe.

Nimish

Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:00 am

Quoting LHRCS (Reply 25):
Been on 9W ck-in for a week now at LHR and yes from what I'v seen they do have a very good product.

Hi LHRCS, do keep us updated on the 9W news ex-LHR. It would also be great to hear views of pax who've flown 9W internationally.
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

N77014

Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:02 am

Quoting LJ (Reply 30):

Why??? They can offer more connectiones ex AMS (on KL) than from BRU. Moreover, i would guess CO would prefer any service to run via AMS as they don't have any feed ex BRU but do have ex AMS.

That doesn't stop the many passengers who travel, say IAH-LGW on CO, then choose EK to DXB for onward connections. While these are likely driven by cheap fares rather than mileage awards, the fact that people will connect where they find it feasible is not to be ignored.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:00 am

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 27):
Except for SYD, i really dont see anyone flying on 9W to the other cities mentioned by you

You are correct on NRT, and HKG, but BKK, SIN, and KL are possible candidates as the flight time is increased by only 3-4 hours with a good connection. Again, many will put up with one-stop as long as price is attractive.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:33 am

Quoting Shawnnyc (Reply 29):
Why doesn't Jet use MAN for their North American hub? MAN has O&D to India. With BRU Jet will not be able to fill many of the seats emptied by US pax getting off in BRU. My understanding is that Indian carriers have no limits on flights India to MAN.

As I understand, the limit of 56 flights per week applies to LHR on UK side, and BOM/DEL on Indian side. Does it mean there are no limits to LGW from other cities in India? If yes, then LGW would make better choice than MAN?
Are gates easily available at LGW?

N77014

Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:02 pm

Really, I think the aim here is North America bound Indian pax, who crave the convenience of same plane service, a chance to stretch their legs, and perhaps a favourable fare compared to what a nonstop would command.

BRU is is the best place for this, as the airport is in the position of desparately wanting long haul service to the Indian subcontinent, and snare traffic that would otherwise migrate to AMS or CDG.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting N77014 (Reply 35):
Really, I think the aim here is North America bound Indian pax, who crave the convenience of same plane service, a chance to stretch their legs, and perhaps a favourable fare compared to what a nonstop would command.

True, but from an Airline's perspective, during off peak season, the load factors will be much higher if the stop on the way to North America is LHR/LGW, relative to other EU choices. This should more than make up for the higher Gate/Landing fees at LHR.