767-300ER
Topic Author

Continental vs. American

Sun Nov 08, 1998 10:05 am

I WAS WONDERING WHICH AIRLINES FLIGHTS I SHOULD TAKE PLEASE TELL ME WHICH FLIGHTS YOU WOULD TAKE AND WHY.

AMERICAN AIRLINES
IAH-DFW MD-80
DFW-GRU 767-300ER

CONTINENTAL AIRLINES
IAH-EWR DC-10
EWR-GRU DC-10-30

IAH=HOUSTON INTERCONTINENTAL
DFW=DALLAS/FT. WORTH
EWR=NEWARK
GRU=SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
*THE FLIGHT FROM NEWARK TO SAO PAULO IS 9 HOURS AND 30 MINUTES.
*THE FLIGHT FROM DALLAS TO SAO PAULO IS 10HOURS AND 45 MINUTES.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS!!!

Bryan

RE: Continental vs. American

Sun Nov 08, 1998 10:29 am

Even though I like American better than Continental, I would take the Continental flight just to fly on a DC-10. As you know, the DC-10 is being replaced in most airlines and I would take advantage of the oportunity to fly on one before Continental replaces them with 777s.

Bryan

United777

Sun Nov 08, 1998 11:38 am

I would fly Continental Airlines over American Airlines.

Sun Nov 08, 1998 11:59 am

I go with American too !
Although the DC10 versus B777 arguments has merit. I only wish I had taken the British VC-10 on British years ago, instead og going for the flight departure (B747) that suited my schedule.
Of course, if you've flown on a DC10, use the 777 as it has better interior space.

Sun Nov 08, 1998 1:20 pm

I would go on American as you get to fly on nore then one type of plane. But if you have not flown on a DC-10 or like the DC I would go on that. Also another thing to consider Air mails do you collect them choose from then. Or why do you not combine the flight first leg American seconf Continental.

airbear

Sun Nov 08, 1998 1:38 pm

I would take Continental. First of all, the DC-10 is one of my favorite airliners and its much more comfortable than the MD-80. in addition, the second leg of your joiner is a little shorter. 10 hours 45 minutes is a long way.

BryanG

Sun Nov 08, 1998 3:28 pm

I took a Continental DC-10 from Paris to EWR a couple years ago and found the service to be wonderful. The plane, though old, was very nice on the inside. I'd recommend Continental's international service to anyone.

AA727

Sun Nov 08, 1998 9:50 pm

I would rather fly on a DC-10 than an MD-80 so in this case I would choose Continental. I would choose Continental if I were to travel on a free ticket or if I didn't have any miles in either airline. But if I have to pay then I have to choose American to build up my miles (I have some miles on American but no miles on Continental, I've never flown with CO but I know it's a good airline). American is the best, the only thing I would not be happy about is that I would have to fly on an MD-80 instead of a DC-10.
Anyway my advice:
Look how many miles you have in each, when they expire, and see what you could get in each airline.
Have a nice flight.

Ben Soriano

AA727

RE: Bryan

Sun Nov 08, 1998 9:58 pm

Bryan,
I agree with you. You think the same way. I would also work things out to fly on a DC-10 because I know that it's going to be gone soon. I also mentioned in my post that I would rather choose Continental because it's a DC-10. That's if it's a free ticket.
By the way how many miles do you have in each?
Ben

Bryan

RE: Bryan

Mon Nov 09, 1998 5:15 am

Ben: The only time I flew on Continental was from LAX to Sydney via Honolulu and return. This was back in the days when Continental and Northwest flew that route (now only Air NZ, Qantas and United do).
As for American, I can't remember ever flying with them. But I still think they are the best overall big airline in the US.

Bryan

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos