Aviationman
Topic Author

Cara Flight Kitchen Strike @ YUL

Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:33 am

It is hurting lots of airlines.....The Cara's flight kitchen workers @ YUL have been on strike since Wednesday June 1st at 00:01.....

klm672

RE: Cara Flight Kitchen Strike @ YUL

Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:50 pm

That sucks. Is there any update on this? I'm flying YUL-FRA on saturday.
Thanks,
Andre

silver_wing767

Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:15 am

Most international flights out of YUL are just bringing in the there own catering from there original destination, some airlines put there food in the cargo hold which takes space away and revenue from cargo and then the catering trucks put the food on the plane and I know of BA that keeps there food already in the cabin. I have no idea what AC is doing.

Speedbird2155

Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:27 am

Quoting Silver_wing767 (Reply 2):
Most international flights out of YUL are just bringing in the there own catering from there original destination, some airlines put there food in the cargo hold which takes space away and revenue from cargo and then the catering trucks put the food on the plane and I know of BA that keeps there food already in the cabin.

Unfortunately it has meant that BA was forced to reduce the level of service for passengers on the route in both directions, so that they get only one meal service and no duty-free.

Skywatcher

Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:12 am

The ones who will be hurt the most are their local food suppliers.

The strike will just end up giving more reason for airline managements to automate/replace/change/outsource the procurement of inflight meals more in the future, once they figure how to get around this temporary bottleneck.

Management eventually always wins these days. It's better to get onside with them as much as possible to increase your security and wages in the long run IMHO. Otherwise, any temporary gains will just end up in acrimonious downsizing one way or another in the future.
Companies only invest/train/grow where the workforce is non-combative these days. Profit sharing and performance based bonuses are how management thinks, not "pay up or we'll stop production".

Why are people so easily manipulated by their short-sighted, narrow perspective union reps who think that a strike will help their workers?

VonRichtofen

Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:31 pm

They need some competition. Why is it ONLY Cara at Canadian airports?

Kris