egghead

Air India Plane Makes Emergency Landing In Romania

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:46 am

BUCHAREST (Reuters) - An Air India plane bound for New York and carrying 205 passengers aboard made a safe emergency landing in Romania on Thursday after reporting fire aboard, a transport ministry official said.

"The Boeing 777 landed safely in Bucharest and no one aboard was hurt," the official, who asked not to be named, told Reuters.

He said the plane, which took off from Bombay and was due to make its first stop in London, reported a small fire aboard and asked for permission to land at 1510 GMT. It landed at 1555 GMT.

The fire, caused by a short circuit, was put out automatically by safety equipment, the official said.

He said passengers were evacuated from the plane that was now undergoing checks. The passengers would most likely resume their flight within one hour, he added.

mrniji

RE: Air India Plane Makes Emergency Landing In Romania

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:51 am

Glad nothing happened! Puh, shocking, but a proof that security measures work!

By the way, there seems to be sth wrong: either it was a 744, or a 777 which solely went to LHR, as no AI 777 flies to NYC, regardless to the US (only to YYZ)

Any more info, how many pax etc? Sean?
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

B747-437B

Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:14 am

Aircraft is VT-AIK operating AI 131.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

HAWK21M

Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:27 pm

What was the Equipment that shorted.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

karan69

Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:24 pm

What is the latest have all the pax reached their destiniton

B747-437B

Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:55 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 7):
What is the latest have all the pax reached their destiniton

Aircraft and pax were forced to make an overnight in Bucharest. Flight will resume to London this morning after mandatory crew rest.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

JOYA380B747

Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:33 pm

I've nothing to say but that the AI is simply Gone.... Two such incidents on AI reported in the past week or so.
Sorry, but I feel very sorry for those who travel on AI just due to Low Ticket price.
JOY
If it wasn't for AI and those money mongers sitting in the parliament, 9W would have been as big as SQ...:(

HAWK21M

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:58 am

I would like to know what caused the Short circuit & how severe it was,Depending on which Equipment was Involved.
Was it Galley Equipment.
regds
MEL

BandA

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:37 am

good to hear everyone's is ok and the safety measures worked!

for a second there i thought someone made a fire in the aisle to make chai  

[Edited 2005-06-04 00:38:18]
"They [Terrorists] never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - GWB

ikramerica

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:42 am

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 8):
mandatory crew rest

the main cause of most cancelations and long delays I've been involved with...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

HAWK21M

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting BandA (Reply 11):
for a second there i thought someone made a fire in the aisle to make chai

Smile
That would have been normal.
regds
MEL

mrniji

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:03 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 10):
I would like to know what caused the Short circuit & how severe it was,

Outlook India reports that the fire was extinguished before the pilot went for emergency landing - he decided to give safety very first priority, although the fire was extinguished automatically by the circuits in the luggage bunk.. I think it is very responsible for the captain to go 100 % sure though for economic reasons he coul have continued

haning said that, my favorite comment: BA woul have continued the flight Big grin
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

COUGARRIDES

Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:22 pm

Quoting Starrion (Reply 1):
What is that on the wind? I hear a thin howl.... "rustbuckets!" I think.

I am shocked that a fellow member can dismiss a serious issue so casually! The lives of thousands of innocent pax are being put to danger by the Air India management.

Quoting JoyA380B747 (Reply 9):
Two such incidents on AI reported in the past week or so.

Air India and its corrupt management continues to put innocent passengers in danger by operating these substandard aircraft. Who will take responsibility if one of these planes falls out of the sky tomorrow? I am sure Thulasidas and Patel will both be makig excuses trying to justify the unjustifiable.

Said it before and i say it again: these T7s are to Air India what the westland choppers were to Pawan Hans and will ultimately be the downfall for the airline.

In the meantime, Passengers shoudl avoid travelling by Air India and opt for either BA or 9W. If they have no option then atleast make sure that their flight is not being operated by one of these rustbuckets.
Air India - Indias national shame

karan69

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:34 pm

Nice to hear that everything is back to normal now

COUGARRIDES

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:21 pm

The most shocking aspect to this incident is the extent to which the AI mgmt is going to keep the knowledge about the problems faced with the 777's secret thus putting the travelling pax under great risk.

It is well known that Air India has been having serious issues with integrating these substandard, damaged aircraft into their fleet with numerous, numerous incidents of aircraft goin tech since the first commercial operation using this aircraft. And atleast one of the aircraft has had its induction idelayed because of issues with (yes!) corrosion related maintainance problems.

Its time the media got into the act and exposed the truth behind the operational and maintainance records of the 3 T7's operating in Air India. Air India is putting the lives of thousands of passengers to great risk everyday by operating these rustbuckets. Its time the truth was told.

mrniji

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:40 pm

Quoting COUGARRIDES (Reply 17):
Air India is putting the lives of thousands of passengers to great risk everyday by operating these rustbuckets. Its time the truth was told.

If this was true, I would not have booked my mom, dad on that aircraft and would not book it for myself. However, I am looking forwar flying the T7 soon (hopefully!)!  Wink

COUGARRIDES

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:51 pm

Subin: would u have booked the tix and put you and your family in such danger if you had known the truth about the nature of problems these T7's have been facing since their induction? That is exactly my point. The AI mgmt is putting the lives of thousands of people in danger by pulling a curtain on the T7's known problems.

The fact remains that these 3 rusty aircraft are not completely airworthy and the repeated incidents of cancellations and reschedulings over the past 2 months and now this diversion have proved this inal ample measure.

Let the truth be told: the public has a right to make an informed choice. By not telling the truth the AI mgmt is guilty of endagering the lives of the thousands of passengers who book tix on Air India and and get put on a flight operated by one of these rustbuckets.

I personally think that you are taking a huge risk and unnecessarily putting yourself and your family in grave danger by booking a flight on an aircraft that has a questionable record of operations within Air India. I would suggest you cancel and rebook yourself on BA or 9W or alternately atleast switch to a AI flight operated by a known reliable aircraft like the 744.

B747-437B

RE: Air India Plane Makes Emergency Landing In Rom

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:58 pm

Quoting COUGARRIDES (Reply 19):
the repeated incidents of cancellations and reschedulings over the past 2 months

VT-AIK has a 99.2% dispatch reliability since January 2005
VT-AIJ has a 100% dispatch reliability since March 2005

Repeated incidents?

COUGARRIDES

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:07 pm

Any source of these figures Mendis? I must ask you how u came up with these figures? Who in Air India is giving u these figures? Wow! U sure have connections man! Bata na: who is giving out these figures?

When you make a post on ANET, you must back it up with some source, like a URL or something like that. Can you post some links to back up your claims please?

mrniji

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:16 pm

Quoting COUGARRIDES (Reply 21):
When you make a post on ANET, you must back it up with some source, like a URL or something like that.

Roy, actually you ought to do exactly that  Wink

COUGARRIDES

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:19 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 22):
Roy, actually you ought to do exactly that

And Mendis shouldnt? Mendis has put some strange figures up! i think he needs to come clear on his source for these figures. Some link perhaps?

Or alternately he could tell us who within the airline is telling him these figures! He doesnt work for air India so how does he know these things? Just wanted a clarification!!

B747-437B

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:24 pm

Quoting COUGARRIDES (Reply 23):
he could tell us who within the airline is telling him these figures!

You wish!  Smile

airish

Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:29 pm

COUGARRIDES AI 777 flights that I have seen from checking on their website

http://www.airindia.in/

which I do regularly seem to be some of the most punctual flights in the AI system. Until this incident flights have been running smoothly hardly any delays that I have noticed. Even the flight information on http://www.baa.co.uk/ backs this up most of the time.

To me what Sean is saying which regards to B777 dispatch reliability seems true.

Also I have flown AI by choice on my flights to India and have found the flights to be fine and I consider AI to be one of the best airlines in the world. If given the choice again would fly Air India to India out of choice.
Worlds Only Reputable Airline Air India! Some Of The Least: BA, Jet (9w), Kingfisher!

Spike

Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:05 am

AIs first class is superb. Always fly that when going to India.

What is the history of their 777s to be known as 'rustbuckets'. The pic I saw of it looked brand spanking new.

WestWing

Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 20):

A purely mathematical digression...

If the dispatch reliability number is accurate, (99.15% <= DR < 99.25%), then the number of dispatch problems must be exactly TWO and AIK has to have made between 234 and 264 successful departures during the period. (If the number of problems was 1, then AIK would have had to have made less than 133 departures, which seems too low).

It was reported in another thread that AI had "cannibalised" an engine from N789UA to replace one of the engines on AIK. Perhaps the engine issues were a contributing factor.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

brons2

Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:24 am

Cougarrides, what is your problem?

What is the source of you calling these planes rustbuckets?
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

HAWK21M

Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:45 am

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 14):
the fire was extinguished automatically by the circuits in the luggage bunk

So it was a Cargo Fire warning Was it.This was VT-AIK wasn't it.
regds
MEL

WestWing

Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:01 am

Would be interesting to learn whether AI 777s have halogen or incandescent lighting in the cargo hold.

MKEdude

Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:50 am

When they landed did they do a full evacuation using the slides, or did they use the stairs instead?

Also the T7 has a spotless safety record (absolutely no fatal incidents at all) So how can it be called a rustbucket?  confused 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

TheBigOne

Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting COUGARRIDES (Reply 21):
Any source of these figures Mendis? I must ask you how u came up with these figures? Who in Air India is giving u these figures? Wow! U sure have connections man! Bata na: who is giving out these figures?

When you make a post on ANET, you must back it up with some source, like a URL or something like that. Can you post some links to back up your claims please?

Cougarrides - Sean's proved himself correct countless times on this site. Perhaps its up to you to disprove him?
Reach for the stars - they are closer than you think!

B747-437B

Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:01 pm

Quoting WestWing (Reply 27):
If the number of problems was 1, then AIK would have had to have made less than 133 departures, which seems too low

AIK only went into service on January 5. I did some rough math and if my calculations are correct she should have made ~135 revenue flights for AI by mid-May (when I got the information), so it would be indeed consistent with the calculations you had.

a340roy

Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:55 pm

Quoting COUGARRIDES (Reply 19):
The fact remains that these 3 rusty aircraft are not completely airworthy and the repeated incidents of cancellations and reschedulings over the past 2 months and now this diversion have proved this inal ample measure.

We need facts and not opinions to judge wether a aircraft is airworthy or not. remember, AI is the only airline (until today) which has a record of not having life-threatning tech problems. The only 2 incidents were security issues. Wether they are rust-buckets or not, is a peoples opinion, but u must remember, to get any aircraft certified to fly in the indian airspace, one needs to follow strict procedures of the DGCA, and trust me, one can ot play around with them. AI surely know what they are flying, and therefore are behind the govt to finally approve them new aircraft, but until they get that clearance, they have to fly "something" which is approrved by the DGCA.

Also, whenever AI or IC lease acfts, it is mandatory to have 2 DGCA officials assesing the whole lease when it comes to technicalities.

Coming to your comment on the delays for the past two weeks, the aircraft involved were the leased ex-canada combi delayed/cancelled due to lavatory problems and VT-ESO due to a tail-strike and was grounded at LAX. As you see, they have nothing to do with your rust-buckets, both were B744s, and once again, this could happen to any airline.

What BA did with the 3 enging trans-atlantic thing could be termed as Endangering lives, which i again argue OK as the pilot of BA was in constant touch with his ground personnel at manchester who led him in safely.

I therefore compeletely disagree that AI and its management is putting lives in danger. These tech problems exist in every airline, and that dont mean that the airline intend to put lives in danger!

roy
AR-FRA

mrniji

Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:34 pm

Quoting A340roy (Reply 39):
roy

Roy gives Roy a lesson on aviation Big grin

WestWing

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:04 am

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 38):
AIK only went into service on January 5. I did some rough math and if my calculations are correct she should have made ~135 revenue flights for AI by mid-May.

So there was only one instance where a departure was cancelled because of aircraft related issues.

It is interesting that AIK utilization is ~7 flights per week. I had thought ~135 was too low because AIJ's BOM-LHR stint was 10 flights/week and a three-days-a-week FRA-LAX rotation is 12 flights a week.

HAWK21M

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:57 am

What was the Recctification Action on the concerned Aircraft.
regds
MEL

COUGARRIDES

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:04 pm

BTW, I find it interesting that Mendis has himself not clarified on sources for those figures he gave out earlier! Can we have some sources/evidence for the "reliability figures" given out earlier Mendis?

ua777222

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:17 pm

Quoting COUGARRIDES (Reply 44):
BTW, I find it interesting that Mendis has himself not clarified on sources for those figures he gave out earlier! Can we have some sources/evidence for the "reliability figures" given out earlier Mendis?

Just drop it. You shouldn't let out sources of such information esp. because it was posted on an internet forum. Just take it or not. I have no reason to disagree with the numbers unless there were true delays. Why don't you provide some evidence to support your idea that those two aircraft have shit dispatch specs.

Thanks,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

mrniji

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:22 pm

Quoting COUGARRIDES (Reply 43):
Aah! That is an original one: If you love Air India you are PATRIOTIC! ooh ma!

I never said that (see my post). My point otherwise should be clear to understand, as it has been composed in appropriate language accordingly - I only said that we Indians abroad often have another perspective on things, which remains as Indian as yours - indeed we kept the image up abroad with our attempt to appeal for cultural exchange, using appropriate channels of discourse (you do not know how difficult this is - I experienced thsi to be much more complicated in Germany than in the US or UK, where I have lived, too). I want to see you first doing the same as successful, then we can proceed in this question. It is not easy, Roy, to live abroad and being confronted with the "fact" of being a third world bumpkin.

Moreover, the patriotism of patriotism does not apply to me. I am in the first instance myself and not someone who runs with the Indian Flag through the streets. But I always did my best (very successfully) to give a good image of India, and I think I have succeeded.

In AI's case the tech problems are always more of a problem than for other carriers!

Now may I ask you for the source?

Empty boast this! You know more about India because you lived abroad? It gives you a different perspective yes, but it also gives you a skewed image very distanced from reality as is very evident from this empty boast!

Calm down, Roy. Anyways, I will see you in person, and we may discuss this face to face. I never claimed to know more about India - in fact, India is in my eyes far too complex to understand, and no one should take the attempt to do so (he/she will desparately fail) - your yourself Mista will fail, too! You have ripped out this citation of the context. But be a little careful - I do not and never push suggest delition for any of your posts (coz I have the nuts to counter your arguments, which is the nature of every discussion), but if anyone else does, you might end up with another. The thing is that if you used a more appropriate language, your points might be more enlightening for me and other readers. Chillax, Dude!

And to clarify: I am NOT giving a blanket for AIs performance, and neither am I someone who thinks this airline is perfect. I only demonstrated why I have some 'tickling in my stomach' ( German: "Kribbeln im Bauch", sth you feel when you fall in love with some new girl) when i see an AI plane. maybe this book I wrote in German might be translated and published in English, then you see how I assessed AI in a global context. Period.

COUGARRIDES

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:35 pm

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 45):
You shouldn't let out sources of such information esp. because it was posted on an internet forum.

When any statement puts forward a false claim and tries to do it with an air of authority there is an inherent danger if he doesnt provde the means to cross reference it with hard evidence. With the current approach we are promoting the gossiping tendencies. Are we a serious aviation forum discussing aviation or are we going to end up as a gossip forum?

Mendis has quoted some very interesting figures there and I would like to know how i could cross check those figures for my own analysis. So yes, it is important that Mendis publicly comes out with the source of his information for these figures. An RR of 100 does not mean that Mendis can evade questions on veracity of the figures or any news he has to share. It has to stand up to scrutiny! And this applies not only to this specific post but should also apply to all the future "news" that may come from anywhere! And it applies for all members irrespective of their respect rating!!

I think ANET administrators must add this to the ANET rule book:

Do not post any figures or news unless you can back it up with a credible source: a link or incase the information is sourced from an individual working in the airline, then the name of the individual.

Posting this suggestion to the site_related forum as well!

COUGARRIDES

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:46 pm

Sbin: Nowhere in my post have used any "objectionable language". You yourself make some pretty objectionable remaks about "knowing more than others..." etc.

I am just saying that you should be a little more open to ideas and try and understand as to where this "oppostion to AI" comes from. You cannot keep defending the indefensible on grounds of sentiments. I understand you have sentimental attachment to AI becuase of havin seen an "AI 747 in FRA". But the hwole point is that there is a huge difference between then and now! Air India in the '70's was a far cry from the AI that we see today! Then it was one of the best, today it is as if not more third-worldly than Biman, Air Nigeria or Kuwait Airways!! India has moved on but AI hasnt! So i question the need for the Govt to keep propping up this airline and shall continue to do so!! Sentiments cant be a reason for protecting this national shame!!

Tradition and sentiments are not any reason for continuing support to it! After it can be very strongly argued that Sati or Manu-waad should be protected and promoted because of sentiments and tradition. So tell me Subin: should we promote Sati or Manu now??

mrniji

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:52 pm

OK, I just give it up, as I could talk to a wall or my nani and reach as far as I do with you. My time is far too precious to engage in such a discussion. I surrender and hence declare you officially as winner, if that makes you happy, horny or whatsoever. May the others decide whose arguments were better and whether they go for that Rustbucket arguments from "Mr I know India and the world better than anyone else.

(By the way, I am eagerly waiting for your sources to prove that AI has more tech nags. here you have failed completely; may I remind you:

Quoting COUGARRIDES (Reply 47):
Do not post any figures or news unless you can back it up with a credible source: a link or incase the information is sourced from an individual working in the airline, then the name of the individual.

)

TKMCE

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:57 pm

Aviation patritism is one thing Mrinji

But also let me explain the other BITTER side of it as far as Air India is concerned , esp for those who are not fortunate to 1, either non rev due to being "friends and family" of AI staff, or 2, not having the money to pay for a first class or business class ticket (although from some of the reports here in this very forum- even then u risk getting crowded out by AI staff non reving!).
I am an Indian national but do not have any connection with Air India , but travel about once a year abroad, and quite frequently domestically. All my trips have been either on work paid for by my employers or personal trips paid from my own resources. I also have not been fortunate enough to travel on business class anytime.

My first international flight was on Air India, about a decade back - on a trip from TRV to LON and back via BOM. I had a 14 hour connection on the outbound, so had to recheck in my bags at BOM (although both legs were on AI), while on the return it was a through check in right upto TRV

a First bad incident - Air India staff in TRV bordering on the indifferent and even rude to many of the pax, esp many of the labour traffic (the TRV BOM flight was a through plane service to RUH if I remember correctly).

Most remarkable incident I remember - My checked in bag wighed in at 21 KG - which I thought was a shade high - anyway no escess baggage charged for the 1 Kg. Left the bag untouched and unlocked while at BOM, but when being checked in for the LON flight (AI 101), - a miracle - the same bag weights in at 17 Kgs!

Miracle - simple - AI in TRV has juggled the weighing scales - so that excess baggage will show up in many cases for the pax and "remunerative negotiations" can be done with the pax.

The service was average to say the least.

But worst was to come - return flight two weeks later.

LHR- T3 - Bags being passed though the pre check in X ray. A very Indian employee of Air India was on hand to assist pax to put the bags on the xray machine Good - only problem - assistance is only to fair skinned people - shocking to see the pax just ahead of me - a mother with two young children - struggling to push the bags through the machine while our very patriotic staff looks the other way!

Worst was yet to come - check in staff - three counters - two Indian girls and one white guy. People que up and go to the nearest available counter - again same story - one Indian check in clerk in particular - shouting at the top of the voice at every dark skinned pax often for no reason while for the fair skinned - oh the voice turns angelic! And remeber - this is Air India , our NATIONAL AIRLINE.

I got the while guy- and what a contrast - polished and polite - atleast helped cool things down.

Now I was informed that my bags was checked through to TRV. But told the boarding pass will be given at BOM. Being my first international flight, was confused about where to clear customs and immigration - tried to clarify at the gate - got a very rude "check at BOM" answer. Checked in the flight (AI 111 via DEL), - similar rude answer- "check with staff at BOM". Finally got a proper answer from one of the cew on the DEL BOM sector (there was a crew change over at DEL).

BOM transit lounge - same rude indifference -A co pax was pleading with AI staff to have someone help pre board his wife who was in a wheel chair(a stark contrast to the handling by BAA in London- the pax originated from there and was in AI 111).

In short -a shocking tratment by one's own airline - My "patriotism" atleast with AI ended then and there and I have stopped flying them (although glad to say IC is a different cup of tea and I am glad to fly them anytime).

By the way - nearly 9 years down the line - I did the same TRV to LHR trip - but this time by Qatar. What a contrast - top class ervice- Return from T3 - The Qatar check in was bang opposite AI economy check in. Nothing much semmed to have changed with AI- most AI staff esp the Indian ones seemed to be as indifferent as ever - while after I checked in with QR , even he bloke who was assisting with doing odd jobs (like putting bag tags and generally running around)- was wishing pax a pleasant flight!

And finally - one last personal experience - my dad was travelling to US on Delta ex BOM, shortly after recovering from a bad car crash. Was walking with the aid of a stick and hence could not climb up the stairs.

The TRV BOM sector outbound was on Air India. He was carried up the steps and to his seat by a couple of AI loaders- and he was asked "pocket money" for the service!

Not for nothing does AI not win many awards for inflight service - esp in cattle class other than from free loaders and non revs!

Sorry for the ramble - but all the talk of "patriotism" invoked some interesting memories!

COUGARRIDES

Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:08 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 49):
Mr I know India and the world better than anyone else.

I didnt say that! You Did!

Quoting MrNiji in Reply #36

As I told you, this is difficult to understand for someone like Roy, so please have understanding for him - in this question I boastfully say that we know much better

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 49):
I am eagerly waiting for your sources to prove that AI has more tech nags

We are discussing the second or thinrd instance of diversion/cancellation of an AI flight due to technical issues in a week!! Do we need any more proof?  Silly

ua777222

Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:10 pm

When any statement puts forward a false claim and tries to do it with an air of authority

I didn't find his post authrotive whatsoever. For all I know he picked those numbers out of his butt. He doesn't have to say where he got it, when he got it, or how he got it. It's the reader that has the choice to either take what he has stated to truth or others, such as yourself, to disagree with the statement.

My  twocents 

Thanks,

Matt

Oh COUGARRIDES,

United had 232/237 panned departures out of SFO today. Ted? They had 15/15 planned departures today. United Express had 197/197 departures today. Surprisingly, 89% of today's flights within the UAL Corp out of SFO left on time.
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

lutfi

Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:14 pm

I like Air India.

If it wasn't for their ineptness, flights to India by other airlines wouldn't be so profitable.

So next time you take EK, with all the bells and whistles, thank AI. Because EK can afford to give you great service due to AI.

COUGARRIDES

Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:30 pm

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 52):
He doesn't have to say where he got it, when he got it, or how he got it.

No he does have to clarify where he got these figures. That is if ANET wants to be known as a forum for serious discussions. Otherwise we may as well turn into a gossip forum.

A member pulled out some figures and tried to prove a point by saying that these figures oproved that this incident was an isolated incident and that the 777's in AI's have been somehow problem free. Unfortunately I cant verify these figures becuase no sources have been offered.

Let me just pull up that exact quote:

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 20):

VT-AIJ has a 100% dispatch reliability since March 2005

Repeated incidents?

The post was made with a certain authorative tone and the whole discussion now centers on "hey XXX with a RR of 100 just said that the 777 had a despatch reliability of YY%". Now Before the discussion takes that route, i need to know the source of these claimed figures so I can indepently confirm the veracity of these figures. Unfortunately no such explaination seems to be forthcoming. And i think with good reason.

For the future, we need to ensure that all posts presented as "facts" or "news" be backed up with proper evidence. This will ensure that discussions dont veer off on tangent. Which is why I have suggest that a new rule be added to the rulebook, requiring members to back up claims/news/information with indepently verifiable sources like web-sites etc or if that is not available, atleast the name of the airline/company official from whom he/she may have got the information.

BTW, any info on the service record of these 3 T7's while in service with their previous operator (UA)? Can someone pull that out of the closet? Why was the induction of the 3rd T7 delayed? Could someone dig out the details of that?

BTW-2, Some URLs thrown up by google:
http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/25/stories/2005052520310400.htm

http://www.hindu.com/2004/10/16/stories/2004101613001100.htm

http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=83053&cat=India

COUGARRIDES

Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:42 pm

Some more URL's showing that this was certainly not an isolated incident and glaring indicators to the shameful way in which Air India is run:

From 'Kerala Monitor':
http://www.keralamonitor.com/default1.html

Quote:

Air India Indulges in Dangerous Flying Game?
DUBAI - Air India, is frequently facing technical snags and delays due to serious problems with the aircraft used in the Gulf sectors. Three cases of flight delays and emergency landings occured within three weeks causing panic and public apprehensions about the safety standards maintained by the Indian Airline. A third flight from Dubai to Goa was delayed on Thursday morning due to "technical problems". Flight number AI 854 from Dubai to Goa which took off from Dubai Airport at 2.25 AM was on the air for sometime and returned dramatically to the Dubai airport due to "technical problems. It went late at 10.30. Are we waiting for a major crash to change the faulty aircraft?

From Gulf News
http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/Print2.asp?ArticleID=116605

Quote:

"Air India charges the highest fare from the Gulf to Kerala but its service is one of the worst. Flight delays occur with sickening regularity causing great inconvenience to so many passengers," lamented another passenger who came all the way from Al Ain.
:
:
Passengers said Air India was contradicting itself when it first said the delay was due to bad weather, then changing it to a technical snag and later to landing problems in Calicut.

"Whether it is April first or any other day, flying Air India has become a joke," remarked an irate passenger, adding that there were only around 50 passengers on the flight and not 170 as claimed by Air India.

HAWK21M

Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:56 pm

The AI Fleet Reliability Index will be with the DGCA.As a Scheduled Operator A Monthly Flight Statistics Report will be distributed to the Airline Concerned MGRs/DeptS & to DGCA by the QC [Quality control] Dept.
Maybe access to this Booklet will clarify things.
regds
MEL

[Edited 2005-06-06 10:58:09]

B747-437B

Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:04 pm

it is important that Mendis publicly comes out with the source of his information for these figures

The information comes from sources at Air India operations.

If the accuracy of the figures really bothers you however, you can verify (or disprove) the dispatch reliability figures by using public websites such as http://www.lhr-lgw.co.uk/ to track daily movements and compile a chart accordingly.

COUGARRIDES

Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:06 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 56):
The AI Fleet Reliability Index will be with the DGCA.As a Scheduled Operator A Monthly Flight Statistics Report will be distributed to the Airline Concerned MGRs/DeptS & to DGCA by the QC [Quality control] Dept.
Maybe access to this Booklet will clarify things.

Great idea! I think this is a very constructive suggestion! Perhaps mendis could get his hands on this report and provide a URL or something and help us resolve this mystery over the reliability of the T7's, 744's and A310's in the AI fleet.

I just called up someone I know who works for the airline in their Kalina office in order to confirm and was in turn asked in a pretty nasty tone as to where i picked up this information. I did tell him and now he wants to meet me asap! I will indeed be meeting him this weekend when I am in BOM. Mebbe I will bring him along for our meet! Should b interesting!!