clickhappy

Can We Talk About Big Sky?

Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:05 am

I am gathering some facts about Big Sky for an upcoming story. Any info you can provide would be very helpful.

Are they moving towards an all 1900D fleet?

When did they pull out of SEA? Out of OLI?

Are they still independent, or did Mesa buy them?

Thx.

NWADC9

RE: Can We Talk About Big Sky?

Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Thread starter):
Are they moving towards an all 1900D fleet?

Yes, the Metro's are leaving
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

SierraAir

Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:57 am

The Metro's are slowly being replaced the the B1900 on a 1:1 basis. The first city to get the 1900 was Sheridan continuing on to Denver, as part of the deal for EAS was that Big Sky offer the same product as Great Lakes, who they were replacing.

The Seattle service ended earlier this year (I want to say Feb or Mar) There wasn't any real connection to the rest of the airline; it existed mainly as an EAS for Moses Lake. Portland was selected as the new destination because of lower fees, but still offering the same connections that Seattle did.

I can't tell you for sure when the Olympia service ended. Something is telling me summer of 2004. Loads were just not what the should have been.

Also, Big Sky is fully owned by the Mesaba Group. The only assosiation that they have with Mesa is the leased B1900.

Brian

clickhappy

Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:17 pm

when will the Metro's be retired?

GQfluffy

Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:59 pm

Considering I work for them...

Mair Holdings is the actual owner. But then again, Mair may own Mesaba...or vice-versa. Seattle was out the beginning of March. I want to say the 10th of March was the last day of service into SEA, but I just don't remember. We still go to Moses Lake, but that may not be around too much longer. Just no pax loads out of there...even with EAS.

I believe we have 4 Metros still flying. Two Metro 23's (N1119 and 453LA) and two Metro 3's (159MC and N60NE). At hq in BIL, I've also seen atleast two, maybe three, more Metro 3's parked, being used for parts (160MC and 158MC for sure, possibly 27465). 27465 may still be flying some routes in eastern MT, I know I just haven't seen her since March. The rest of the fleet are Beech 1900D's. I don't know. I like both aircraft just fine, but somehow it seems I can turn a Metro faster then a Beech. Could be I've just had ALOT more time working Metros then them Beeches. The Metro's SHOULD be gone by the end of the year. Assuming we don't lose another Beech to a BIL QX De-Ice truck. Then we may need to hold on to one or two of our "loveable" Metro's for a bit longer...

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

Dalmd88

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:20 pm

Is Kim Champney still at Big Sky or did he get removed during the buy out? I worked for him at Mohawk in SYR. He is still the only airline president that has bought me a beer. He treated all of the SYR staff to beers when we got our operating Cert back. Too bad the president he had just replace failed to pay our taxes and we were gone a couple of months later.

azjubilee

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:05 pm

MAIR holdings was created with the purchase of Big Sky a few years ago. MAIR Holdings has under its umbrella, Mesaba Aviation and Big Sky. Mesaba Aviation continues to support the money sucking Big Sky. At least Foley and Weil are making a public attempt to earn their grossly inflated compensation by aquiring the 1900s and making changes. They have to make it appear like they actually do stuff on a daily basis. But until the Big Sky operation turns a profit, they'll always be a drain on the Mesaba profits for MAIR and continue to prove that the $2 million over investment was a waste of Mesaba money.

AZJ

GQfluffy

Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:23 am

Kim Champney has been out for a while now. And from what I've heard, it's a good thing he's gone. Frank Deluew (don't remember the exact spelling on the last name) is the new head man, and from what he's been saying, it sounds like they (at hq) made a good choice. Right now there's some task force who will supposedly bring about some changes for the good. His favorite catch-phrase: "Right now GQ will trip over a $100 bill to pick up a nickel". And boy, that's the first true thing I've heard in a long time. Craig Denney (his righthand man) is still with us as well.

fluffy

stirling

Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:53 am

Big Sky is one of those curious non-aligned airlines we don't hear much about, so how about a little overview of their routes?
I have always considered them mostly a Montana carrier, so the Portland and Moses Lake routes are interesting...

About Olympia, all the talk is usually about Sea-Tac and Bellingham to the north..What other airlines have tried service in that market? (Oly)

Why hasn't scheduled service worked there?
Is it the airline or the market?
I would guess the main source of pax to Olympia would be from Seattle, and that's within easy driving distance..so what about across the state to Spokane? Is that a route that has been tried? I'd think there would be demand between the capital and WA's second largest metro.
Anyway, fill us (me) in!
Delete this User

DLKAPA

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:05 am

Quoting SierraAir (Reply 2):
Also, Big Sky is fully owned by the Mesaba Group.

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 6):
MAIR Holdings has under its umbrella, Mesaba Aviation and Big Sky.

Actually Mesaba and Big Sky have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Mesaba is just Mesaba, nothing more or less, and they fly only Turboprops and ARJ's for NW. Big Sky on the other hand, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of MAIR, and MAIR is the Mesa Air Group. MAIR does not own Mesaba, however they do in addition to Big Sky own Freedom Airlines and Air Midwest.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

azjubilee

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:46 am

WHAT? Dude... you need to find a new dealer! DLKAPPA you're clueless.

MAIR is a holdings company that control BIG SKY and MESABA. The only thing they have to do with each other is the fact that they are controlled by the same holdings company.

The Mesa Air Group is a completely separate entity and has no relationship to MAIR.

Before you spew stuff that makes no sense, you better check your facts.

http://www.mesa-air.com/default.asp

http://www.mairholdings.com/index.as...8628B-2286-4ECC-A32E-59C469FFCC35}

AZJ

DLKAPA

Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:45 pm

Tell me this then... (I do believe you by the way) why do the Big Sky B1900D's that come into DEN all have N***YV tail numbers? Did they just buy them off YV?  confused 
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Cactus739

Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:52 pm

DLKAPA....this should answer your question....

Mesa Air Group Signs Letter of Intent to Lease Ten Turboprop Aircraft to Big Sky Airlines

PHOENIX, Jan 26, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Mesa Air Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: MESA) announced today that its subsidiary, Mesa Airlines, Inc., has signed a Letter of Intent to lease ten (10) Beechcraft 1900D aircraft currently operated by its subsidiary, Air Midwest, Inc., to Big Sky Transportation Co., a regional turboprop air carrier based in Billings, Montana, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of MAIR Holdings, Inc. Deliveries of the aircraft will commence in February 2005 and are expected to be completed by February 2006.

source: www.mesa-air-com
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

DLKAPA

Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:13 pm

Oh damn now we can really start confusing YV with XJ (as I just did) :p

Thanks for the clarification cactus.

GQfluffy

Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:28 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 8):
so how about a little overview of their routes?

GQ's main base of operations, or their hub (I suppose you could say), is in BIL. We serve the cities of Portland (OR), Moses Lake, Spokane (Both WA), Boise (ID), Sheridan (WY), Denver (CO), Kalispell (and the rest MT), Missoula, Helena, Great Falls, Havre, Lewistown, Billings (obviously), Glasgow, Wolf Point, Miles City, Glendive, and Sydney.

I've got a list of flight numbers and their corresponding cities somewheres, just can't find it at the moment.

Quoting Stirling (Reply 8):
so what about across the state to Spokane? Is that a route that has been tried?

We did operate from GEG to SEA, going thru MWH, but the numbers actually weren't all that great, considering QX operates like half a dozen flights on the same route daily. We also have some sort of agreement with QX about price wars on the same route. Or something weird like that, just something my manager told me once.

Azjubilee is right, MAIR controls both Big Sky and Mesaba. As far as I know, the only connection Big Sky has with Mesa is the Beech 1900Ds we're buying from them.

fluffy

SierraAir

Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:03 pm

The Seattle - Moses Lake and the Moses Lake - Spokane services existed only as Essential Air Services for Moses Lake. It was difficult, if not impossible to fly from Seattle to east of Spokane.

With the recent landing fee hike in Seattle (partially to pay for the 3rd runway) Big Sky moved the EAS services to Portland and Boise because, in theory, those cities provide the same connections that could have been made in Seattle and Spokane.

It really didn't have anything to do with passanger loads. If that was the case, the only cities served would be Great Falls, Missoula, Helena and Kalispell. In most cases, the average flight to a town in Eastern Montana only has about 6 people on it.

Brian

SunValley

Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:43 pm

Big Sky just announced a new flight BOI-BZN. They currently operate
BOI-MSO which carries one of their highest passenger loads, as well as the highest (non EAS) yield factor of their system. If their is growth with Big Sky,
lI think you might seriously see them doing BOI-Elko, in the future. I do know they have strongly looked at BOI-SUN in the past. BOI seems to be a very good market for them.

[Edited 2005-06-14 13:44:52]

AAtakeMeAway

Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:09 pm

Am I crazy or did GQ used to fly out of DFW to places like Brownwood? If I remember correctly, they flew out of the lower level of terminal E.

SunValley

Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:41 am

Quoting AAtakeMeAway (Reply 17):
Am I crazy or did GQ used to fly out of DFW to places like Brownwood? If I remember correctly, they flew out of the lower level of terminal E.

You are not crazy, GQ was the EAS carrier to several small Texas cities, a few in Oklahoma & Arkansas, including Brownwood Laredo etc. & yes, they did operate out of terminal E on the lower level

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:12 am

Quoting SunValley (Reply 18):
You are not crazy, GQ was the EAS carrier to several small Texas cities, a few in Oklahoma & Arkansas, including Brownwood Laredo etc. & yes, they did operate out of terminal E on the lower level

What is EAS?  confused 

GQfluffy

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:08 am

EAS= Essential Air Service. Backed by funds from the Federal Government. Think they pay like 50% of the cost to operate the flight...not sure about exact numbers...

Boise wasn't just added. We've flown into Boise now for a long time. The BOI-BZN route is a bad idea IMO. Reliable sources (aka pilots) say there was no real research, just the fact that 2 a/c sit in BOI for 3-4 hours on the ground. I'm not sure the pax loads from BZN to BOI are going to be worth it. Sure, it looks good on paper, but how are you going to get people from, say OLF, to BZN? Route them to BIL, then on GQ Flt 6013 to BOI via MSO, then turn them around and send them back to BZN? There has to be a different way (better way) to add BZN into our list of destination cities, but I think it would involve a major overhaul of our flights...

fluffy

P.S. Oh, and yes, we did fly into DFW. SunValley was right on.

EDIT- OLF = Wolf Point, MT

[Edited 2005-06-14 19:13:44]

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 20):
EAS= Essential Air Service. Backed by funds from the Federal Government. Think they pay like 50% of the cost to operate the flight...not sure about exact numbers...

Thanks for the info!  wave 

SunValley

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:40 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 20):
The BOI-BZN route is a bad idea IMO. Reliable sources (aka pilots) say there was no real research, just the fact that 2 a/c sit in BOI for 3-4 hours on the ground. I'm not sure the pax loads from BZN to BOI are going to be worth it. Sure, it looks good on paper, but how are you going to get people from, say OLF, to BZN? Route them to BIL, then on GQ Flt 6013 to BOI via MSO, then turn them around and send them back to BZN? There has to be a different way (better way) to add BZN into our list of destination cities, but I think it would involve a major overhaul of our flights...

I don't really think GQ is adding BZN to get customers from Wolf Point to Bozeman. They are working closely with America West & Horizon to feed the new Bozeman flight with customers who originate in Cities south, & southwest of BOI to get to BZN with a connection in BOI. Example HP-PHX-BOI-GQ-BOI-BZN .

DCrawley

Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:24 am

This last fall and winter from September to February I flew the MWH - SEA route with GU on their Metro's. The loads were less than nominal. Most flights, it would be me and 1 other passenger. What I loved about the Metro's is that in seat 1B they had a headset plug-in so I'd just reach in my brain bag and listen to it all. There was no mic jack, but if you yelled up to the cockpit the pilots could hear you. I know a good amount of them, great people! I left MWH a couple days before the last flight and they were talking about how the landing fees at SEA had increased too much so they were switching to PDX and were going to start flying PDX - MWH, GEG. Don't know what happened with it, but glad I got to fly on the popsicle stick with wings while they are still in the air!

Memories,

-D.K. Crawley
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

GQfluffy

Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:44 am

Quoting SunValley (Reply 22):
I don't really think GQ is adding BZN to get customers from Wolf Point to Bozeman

I'm just saying that while it may be great for the folks in BZN and for HP, it don't do jack for the rest of the GQ cities. They (hq in Billings) haven't thought much about integrating BZN with the rest of the routes.... There is money to be made with the EAS cities that are far away from BZN, not just for BOI and other airline connections. Just a thought...

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 23):
they were switching to PDX and were going to start flying PDX - MWH, GEG. Don't know what happened with it,

I believe the route goes PDX - MWH - BOI. The only way to get to GEG is Flt 2581 and Flt 2552. 2581 runs BIL - HLN - GTF (combo for now, supposedly temporary) - FCA - GEG. 2552 runs BIL - GTF - GEG. Then both planes turn around and come back the same way.

Big Scare Air, Tubes of terror in the sky... Metros - Our flying culverts  bigthumbsup 

fluffy

SunValley

Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:26 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 24):
I'm just saying that while it may be great for the folks in BZN and for HP, it don't do jack for the rest of the GQ cities. They (hq in Billings) haven't thought much about integrating BZN with the rest of the routes.... There is money to be made with the EAS cities that are far away from BZN, not just for BOI and other airline connections. Just a thought...

I don't think GQ is in business simply for the satisfaction of "DOING JACK" for each city on it's system, or any other city or airline for that matter. Their interest lies in making GQ a viable profitable operation. GQ has recently consulted with a number of very good Research Analysts and is making an attempt to completely turn the operation into a viable Regional Airline located in the
Central Northwest. BOI just happens to be their most profitable market at this time and that is where the biggest share of their growth opportunity lies.Additionally, BOI fares to points served by GQ carry a very good business yield, (much better than an EAS contract) and the split with QX & HP is extremely attractive to doing business. Check fares from any US city to most any Montana City, and you will soon find that NW & DL have kept fares at a very premium level in these markets. Incorporating routes that connect the rest of the route structure on a point to point basis makes no sense. Take OO for instance, they are located in St. George Utah, and have many operations that in no way connnect any points to SGU. GQ's partnering with HP & QX can only create a better passenger flow for their operation that they cannot develop on their own. I can tell you that in the next 28 months, there will be a completely new Big Sky Airlines. Their MO will be changing from conecting EAS cities across Montana to bring business passengers from Major cities through a connecting point into Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, & Nevada.

stirling

Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:37 am

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 23):
This last fall and winter from September to February I flew the MWH - SEA route with GU on their Metro's

Did you mean something else for "GU" or is it a mistype of "GQ", as "GU" is Aviateca....

The route map on the website link provided doesn't even show the Bozeman-Boise route yet. When does it begin? Or has it already started?
Delete this User

GQfluffy

Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:42 am

Quoting SunValley (Reply 25):
Check fares from any US city to most any Montana City, and you will soon find that NW & DL have kept fares at a very premium level in these markets

More then aware of that; I live here (in Montana). All I am trying to say is this: I think it is great that Big Sky is changing and adding new destinations. I just don't know if its a great idea for how they incorporated BZN into the scheme of things. I understand why you say they did, but still. Take those flying out of FCA and GEG. FCA is basically a 6 hr drive from Bozeman. GEG a 7 hr drive. I've had many people drive to HLN from BZN (about a 90 minute drive) to get to Kalispell and Spokane. I'd say atleast 2 a day. Don't you think reworking most of the Western Montana flights would better incorporate BZN? I.E. Someone wants to fly from GEG to BZN. With the way our system is set up right now, they'd fly to BIL (about a 3 hr flight with stops), fly to BOI (about 2.5 hrs), then finally fly on to BZN. One big circle. I think the market is there for some reworking. But I'm only the CSA/Ramper. Just wish hq would let some of us know whether or not they did research and what the results were. We're the people dealing with those who want to know why GQ only operates out of BZN to BOI...

Guess you can only please some of the idiots some of the time....

fluffy

SunValley

Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:54 am

GQfluffy, This is not unique to Montana. Look at Cities in Wyoming. If a customer wants to go from JAC to CPR, they must go from JAC to either SLC or DEN, then to CPR. If a customer in EKO wants to go from EKO to LAS they must go to SLC, then to LAS. If a customer in SUN wants to go to IDA, they must go to SLC then to IDA. The reason there are not any flights between these cities is they must compete with the automobile, which is the same in Montana. I do know you will see GQ/HP/QX creating some competition in the near future for DL in some Markets such as JAC, SUN, IDA & EKO, and I do know you are going to see less offerings of intra-Montana point to point operations in the near future. By the way BOI to MSO & BZN are not EAS operations.

GQfluffy

Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting SunValley (Reply 28):
By the way BOI to MSO & BZN are not EAS operations.

Well aware of that. I guess we're just going to Hubs in the rural US.  Wink

filler

filler  Big grin

fluffy

Blackhawk144

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:06 pm

I'm actually somewhat surprised to hear that BOI is Big Sky's most profitable market. I heard that they were strongly considering BOI-PDT (Pendleton). I think they should move in on a BOI-PSC (Pasco) flight. I'm sure there is some kinda market for that with Metroliners.

If BOI is there most profitable market currently, does that mean that it is a possibility that we will see some kind of "hub" operation? Or am I just thinking too ahead of myself (Probably the likely case).

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

GQfluffy

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:58 pm

Quoting Blackhawk144 (Reply 30):
I'm sure there is some kinda market for that with Metroliners.

By the time anymore kind of growth will/could be announced, we (GQ) will most likely be operating just Beechcraft 1900s. The last Metroliner will be gone the beginning of 2006 (I would say February)

The only way I'd see BOI becoming the second GQ hub is if the OR, and possibly NV, market grows. Right now there is no need for BOI. They only see 4 flights a day.

fluffy

Chugach

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:05 pm

I too wonder about the BOI-PDT service. I remember an article in the East Oregonian stating that Big Sky was considering it but I never heard anything since. However, reality is that if they ever connect a Columbia Basin city to BOI, logic dictates that it would be Pasco (non-EAS, I should say). I suppose if QX ever follows through on their occasional threats to axe PDT that Big Sky would be the most likely to pick up the slack through EAS.
GO ROCKETS

UA_727

Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:33 pm

Can we please make one important distinction here? There is a significant difference between "most profitable" market, and "market with great potential"!? Apples to oranges, just like Billings to Boise. Billings, has been, and will continue to be, for a quite foreseeable future, the most profitable market for Big Sky Airlines, for a myriad of factors.

While many on A.net have posted that BIL is oversaturated with airline service, it is a poor misjudgment. BIL, of course still a part of the community of Billings, has conducted sound market research, and displayed their findings at MT, WY, ID aviation conferences, conveying that while our community is one of only slightly more than 100,000, it draws from a considerable market radius and is often times, an unequivocally attractive option (vs. markets like Calgary, Regina, Casper, and even Spokane). If those who claim to be erudites of BIL observe, airlines, themselves, have played the BIL market quite vigilantly (experimenting with more selection, less capacity aircraft strategies). That is why GQ has implemented, and been quite successful with, their their "easy fare" strategy, which is primarily based around BIL. Whether codeshare partners with other airlines or not, GQ has made it their priority to make connections easier for rural MT/WY/ID via Montana's market with the largest air service selection (BIL).

Whether you factor in EAS or not, people, in our vast state (and/or even Wyoming for that matter,) need to get from the rural locale to Billings, and if not BIL, than to places easily connectable via BIL. When there does occur to be a true growth strategy (which is very possible in the foreseeable future) for Big Sky Airlines, BOI will definitely be a sound option for the company. But you will not soon see BIL take a 'back seat' to BOI, when it comes to GQ.
"AW - I'm on Board..."

GQfluffy

Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:55 pm

Wow. Bringing this thread back to reality.  flamed   footinmouth  Myself as well. Welcome to me list of respectfulness, sir.

One thing should be remembered; EAS will not always be around to protect smaller markets...

fluffy

SunValley

Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:53 pm

Quoting UA_727 (Reply 33):
That is why GQ has implemented, and been quite successful with, their their "easy fare" strategy, which is primarily based around BIL

This fare structure doesn't support the operations and GQ cannot survive on this. That is why you will see changes in their business Model over the next 24-30 months. Yes, as QX weeds out un-profitable markets, look for GQ to step in, but also look for the likes of companies like Salmon Air with their Piper Navajos to step into Montana EAS Markets where the flights are simply carrying 1-6 passengers per flight. This very thing happened in Markets like
CNY & VEL last year, & it will again happen in Montana. EAS cities such as Miles City, Glendive, Havre are coming under the scrutiny of what it actually cots the FEDS to provide service for each passenger that utilizes the EAS service there. The mantra at the FEDS is if only 5 passengers average use the flight, why bring in a 19 passenger plane, why not bring in an 8 passenger plane for less money?

GQ is at the start of a "change" and "make-over" stage of their history, knowing full well that what they have done in the past has returned "almost nothing" to the investors, and for their own longevity those in decision making positions know they must change the company, and they are.

PassBureauMgr

Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:59 am

This is all very interesting, as I was on a QX flight to Portland recently, and sat next to a marketing person for Big Sky. During our conversation, this person told me that they (Big Sky) were at the infancy of a complete makeover for Big Sky Airlines and that there will be major changes taking place at this company. I had quite a nice chat, and gathered from the conversation there were big plans to turn the company around to become more of what OO & QX were in the 80's.

azjubilee

Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:16 am

Put it this way... MAIR did not buy BigSky to operate 1900s in EAS markets. Any growth with a/c over 19 seats will be flown by Meaba Airlines pilots.

AZJ

DCrawley

Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:58 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 26):
Did you mean something else for "GU" or is it a mistype of "GQ", as "GU" is Aviateca....

Ah sorry a day off and late night with beer and women threw off my keystroke!  Wink Yes, thanks for the correct Stirling, I did mean GQ. Sure hope to God GU isn't what I flew from MWH.. or else they must have put some large tanks on that 732 and painted it like a Metro look-a-like!

Maybe I'm a Southern America traveler by night,

-D.K. Crawley
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

ShortSquat

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:17 pm

Here's a page with some info on BigSky's fleet, news, etc-
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/content/view/65/18/

GQfluffy

Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

A good site, but a bit dated. We don't fly to N. Dakota anymore, and only have 4-5 Metros. At least 6 Beeches, think we just brought a 7th online.

fluffy