flyinTLow

AI's Invasion Of FRA

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:27 am

Just the other day I saw 5!!! 747s in FRA. Where in the world are they coming from and where are they going to?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sebastian Klink

What new destinations is AI planning on adding via FRA? I heard rumors a while back of them wanting to add IAH to their network. But is this decision pending on fleet growth? And what are the new B747 Combis doing?

[Edited 2005-06-09 20:47:55]
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

drerx7

RE: AI's Invasion Of FRA

Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:12 am

Yeah--there was a lengthy debate over IAH vs. DFW for AI. They may route the flights through LHR though.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

vivek0072

Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:19 am

I read it somewhere , do not remember , but AI may have plans of making FRA as their second hub, with more Boeings joing their fleet and no space at BOM it did seem possible.
That life's most failures were people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. - Edison.

aseem

Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting Vivek0072 (Reply 2):

this is subject to imposition of transit visa by Germany, and relative compliance of CDG folks. As of today, the only constraint is fleet strength.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

flyinTLow

Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:46 am

So is AI maybe even considering basing an aircraft or two in FRA? Or will the flights just be routed through FRA?
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

shawnnyc

Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting Aseem (Reply 3):
this is subject to imposition of transit visa by Germany, and relative compliance of CDG folks. As of today, the only constraint is fleet strength.

Is CDG a better hub than FRA (visa aside)? I thought after the UK, Germany had the most O&D traffic to India. While FRA and CDG have good traffic to the USA, I thought AI had problems filling the seats of pax that de-planed in CDG for the onward to India.

lazyshaun

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:00 am

Probably because they have no more slots left at LHR...
They'll probably move onto CDG sooner or later...
I came. I saw. I conquered

karan69

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:06 am

Quoting Shawnnyc (Reply 5):
Is CDG a better hub than FRA (visa aside)? I thought after the UK, Germany had the most O&D traffic to India. While FRA and CDG have good traffic to the USA, I thought AI had problems filling the seats of pax that de-planed in CDG for the onward to India.

You are right about O&D traffic from Germany--but only after UK as you mentioned and ofcourse USA.
FRA would def be a better hub, but i think that transit visa is hurting AIs expansion plans from FRA.

For future expansion they should route all USA flights via LHR and keep the current ones at FRA, and the CANADA flights through CDG and secondary airports like MAN/BHX/MUC. as there will be great 5th freedom from these flights

TheBigOne

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:00 am

Quoting FlyinTLow (Thread starter):
Just the other day I saw 5!!! 747s in FRA. Where in the world are they coming from and where are they going to?

FlyinTLow - In answer to your question, these aircraft transit FRA on their way to LAX, ORD, from BOM / DEL.
Reach for the stars - they are closer than you think!

B747-437B

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:03 am

You saw 5 747s because 2 of them were running on multiple day delays after being AOGs at LAX.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

LAXDESI

Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:00 am

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 7):
For future expansion they should route all USA flights via LHR and keep the current ones at FRA, and the CANADA flights through CDG and secondary airports like MAN/BHX/MUC. as there will be great 5th freedom from these flights

Does UK not require transit visas? I think AI needs a scissor hub, without which they can never offer convenient connectivity from multiple US cities to multiple Indian cities, like LH does through FRA. If AI could offer EWR/MAA-BLR or SFO/MAA-BLR, or LAX-MAA-BLR, one stop through FRA, they could realize a much higher yield even with older planes and perceived poor service. Convenient connections and reliable service are more important factors for many.

LHR gates may be difficult to acquire, and AI already codeshares with LH, which suggests that LHR is not a good choice for expansion.

incitatus

Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 10):
I think AI needs a scissor hub, without which they can never offer convenient connectivity from multiple US cities to multiple Indian cities,

That scissor hub should be BOM. The planes to do it are 777-200LR and A340-500.
Stop pop up ads

flyingzacko

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:22 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 11):

As much as I am a huge fan and very much in favor of AI's expansion, I don't think the airline is anywhere in a position to acquire those type of aircraft anytime soon. It's still a carrier in government hands, and a government, as we all know, for some reason are rather slow in making decisions... One day they will get there, but for now, they need to go for the alternatives possible for them.
Canon 40D + 24-70 f/2.8 L + 70-200 f/4 L + Speedlite 430EX

shawnnyc

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:23 am

Quoting FlyingZacko (Reply 12):
As much as I am a huge fan and very much in favor of AI's expansion, I don't think the airline is anywhere in a position to acquire those type of aircraft anytime soon. It's still a carrier in government hands, and a government, as we all know, for some reason are rather slow in making decisions... One day they will get there, but for now, they need to go for the alternatives possible for them.

Well the 777LR was already selected. THe government of India is slow, but these aircraft will come sooner rather than latter. The gov would not have liberalized so much if they had no intention of buying the aircraft (part of the reason the GOI never liberalized so much before was because they weren't prepared to buy ore aircraft). Everything has been set in motion - more flights for foreign airlines, allowing private carriers to fly international = AI must get more planes or be rendered obsolete.

LAXDESI

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:59 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 11):

For one-stop flights, it is better to have your stop somewhere in EU, halfway through the journey, then to have one long and another very short flight using BOM as a scissor hub. The advantage BOM may have is that of scheduling flights for USA market without regards to EU stops-thus providing flights at more convenient hours.

shawnnyc

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:12 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 14):
For one-stop flights, it is better to have your stop somewhere in EU, halfway through the journey, then to have one long and another very short flight using BOM as a scissor hub. The advantage BOM may have is that of scheduling flights for USA market without regards to EU stops-thus providing flights at more convenient hours.

I don't know, aside from BOM airport being crap, I think people are going to be surprised by the comfort of a nonstop USA to BOM and then connecting. I have always hated connecting in Europe at what amounts to 3am NY time. When I took the nonstop to SIN from EWR, it was great. You got settled, slept when you got tired and had a full eight hours. Plus BOM when it becomes a proper hub would have short connection times and greater options if original connection is missed (in Europe it is usually one flight a day). And yes, I hope the nonstops end the days of arriving India at 1am and leaving at 3am (I always feel sorry for the people welcoming and seeing us off in India).

LAXDESI

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:10 pm

Quoting Shawnnyc (Reply 15):
Plus BOM when it becomes a proper hub would have short connection times and greater options if original connection is missed (in Europe it is usually one flight a day).

I see your point. Wouldn't Delhi make a better hub than BOM for USA market as it is the northernmost airport and can provide shorter connection to CCU and other markets in East/North and also serve MAA/BLR/HYD.

shawnnyc

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:24 pm

DEL would location wise (I just used BOM as someone else mentioned it). That said, I think BOM will be the first hub for nonstops from the US simply because of the premium traffic that BOM has and the amount of O&D traffic. Right now BOM is the only city that could support a comprehensive array of nonstops to N. America (to say NYC, ORD, SFO, LAX, IAD, YYZ). The Indian carrier that can achieve close to this will really own the BOM based business traffic and then can work on bringing in the "gravy" from BLR, MAA, etc. Right now Indian carriers will do fine, but its just on tourist and ethnic traffic. They really need to "own" the premium traffic of a major city, and then see how the hub developes.

trvyyz

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:31 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 10):
Does UK not require transit visas?

Indian passport holder with a Permanent Resident/green card or a valid visa of Canada or USA and confirmed onward ticket can transit without visa through UK.

[Edited 2005-06-10 05:32:15]

LAXDESI

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:32 pm

Just heard from a friend from inside the aircraft on AI LAX-FRA-BOM flight. The flight is late for departure by one hour already, and will leave after another AI flight on the same route takes off first. This other flight is the delayed flight from yesterday.
My friend's flight is 100% full in economy and according to her about 10% of the passengers are Germans/Americans bound for FRA. This is much higher than the flight I took last July where the Germans/Americans were only about 2-3%. Looks like AI is able to attract a much higher share of LAX-FRA market.

[Edited 2005-06-10 05:55:03]

BN747

Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:46 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 19):
Just heard from a friend from inside the aircraft on AI LAX-FRA-BOM flight. The flight is late for departure by one hour already, and will leave after another AI flight on the same route takes off first. This other flight is the delayed flight from yesterday

He must have been on board VT-EVJ... it indeed was late, sked 1900 and departed 2025 or so was VT-AIM, who was sked at 1830 and got off at 1915. I jetted down to get shots as both were parked right next to one another! This is the 2nd time in 5 days that two AI 744s arrived within minutes of each other-- sunday was hilarious: As VT-AIM and VT-AID arrived with 10 minutes of each other and the tower got confused and couldn't figure out who was assigned gate 101 at Bradley and who got a far off remote gate! Both did some lengthy and serious tours of LAX taxiways as it was being worked out!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Thunderbird1

Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:46 pm

On Tuesday there were two 747s at LAX, which seems like it's exploding with AI activity lately as well (-EVJ and -AIM).

nisson

Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting Thunderbird1 (Reply 21):
On Tuesday there were two 747s at LAX, which seems like it's exploding with AI activity lately as well

READ THIS: http://web.mid-day.com/news/city/2005/june//111247.htm probably related, probably not, but its still trying to catch up on normal ops, due to damage of one 747-400.

[Edited 2005-06-10 08:02:44]

B747-437B

Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:23 pm

VT-AIM is suffering as the only combi in the fleet and dedicated to the LAX route, her AOG there a few weeks ago is still being felt through the system. Normally you would just cancel one flight and make up time but the loads are so busy at this time of year there simply isnt capacity to accomodate everyone!
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

HAWK21M

Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 9):
You saw 5 747s because 2 of them were running on multiple day delays after being AOGs at LAX.

Makes Sense.
BTW AI def need those extra Aircraft.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

masterluu

Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:45 pm

With every AI plane coming into LAX basically late or delayed for 23 hours. Or worse being cancelled for three or more days. This kind of activity from AI is more than questionable. and it remains to be questionable after the last three weeks if AI still will be able to take some market share on the Lax-Fra route from LH.

PanHAM

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:28 pm

Quoting Masterluu (Reply 25):
With every AI plane coming into LAX basically late or delayed for 23 hours. Or worse being cancelled for three or more days. This kind of activity from AI is more than questionable. and it remains to be questionable after the last three weeks if AI still will be able to take some market share on the Lax-Fra route from LH.

They can get a share of the market by price only. When PK was scheduling their NYC flights through FRA they were always the cheapest. What suprises me is the need of a transit visa, passengers changing here do not need to exist the transit area, they simply move from gate D6 to D5 for example but it might be that the Border Police is at the aircraft door to prevent someone from saying the magic word that provides for a paid holiday in Germany over several years.

Anyway, I saw people standing in the T2 gate area of an AI flight recently and they were in transit.