ClearedDirect
Topic Author

Air Marshall Stops US Flight

Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:16 pm

Does anyone have anymore details on this?

http://www.wesh.com//travelgetaways/...4600288/detail.html?subid=32100922

Air Marshals Ground U.S. Airways Flight

POSTED: 6:35 am EDT June 13, 2005
UPDATED: 6:45 am EDT June 13, 2005

Federal air marshals grounded a U.S. Airways flight over the weekend.

It left Orlando on Sunday but was forced to land in Jacksonville, WESH 2 News reported.

Air marshals said they were uncomfortable with the actions of seven passengers in the first-class section of the jet, but they're not saying what those actions were.

Stay with WESH 2 News and WESH.com for further details.
Copyright 2005 by WESH.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ClearedDirect
Topic Author

RE: Air Marshall Stops US Flight

Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:44 pm

Sorry,
My error in posting the exact article as written.

I am not sure how to edit it to just quote a line and the link.

My apologies.

CD

echster

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:16 am

I read this story off another news organization this morning. The 7 pax were using signals to communicate with one another. It freaked out the air marshals. The 7 pax turned out to be.......members of the US military. They were questioned and caught another flight to DC later that day.

ATLhomeCMH

Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:49 am

Quoting Echster (Reply 3):
I read this story off another news organization this morning. The 7 pax were using signals to communicate with one another. It freaked out the air marshals. The 7 pax turned out to be.......members of the US military. They were questioned and caught another flight to DC later that day.

Gotta love the paranoia  Smile
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

DLKAPA

Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:06 pm

And all of a sudden our own military can't be trusted...wow.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Newark777

Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:09 pm

You make it seem as though the marshall knew they were with the military. If I saw a group of young men making hand signals on a plane, I would be a bit disturbed also. Maybe not enough to land the plane, but still disturbed. Also, being members of the military does not exclude you from scrutiny. Ask Tim McVeigh.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

hawk44

Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:45 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 9):
Also, being members of the military does not exclude you from scrutiny. Ask Tim McVeigh.

Exactly, before 9/11 the largest act of terrorism on US soil was committed by two white men who were sympathizers of Waco.

The FAMS did their jobs but they should have been made aware that military service members would be on board.

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

irishjohn

Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:00 pm

I suppose they never considered asking them what they were doing? Military traveling without proper identification?

Safe sailing
John

nycflyer

Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:08 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 5):
You make it seem as though the marshall knew they were with the military. If I saw a group of young men making hand signals on a plane, I would be a bit disturbed also. Maybe not enough to land the plane, but still disturbed. Also, being members of the military does not exclude you from scrutiny. Ask Tim McVeigh.

Harry

I agree with you, Harry. But Irishjohn makes a good point too - why couldn't the FAMS have walked up to the guys and said, "what are you doing," rather than ordering the landing of the plane? Or maybe FAMS are simply not allowed to identify themselves, in which case their actions make sense.

This also raises another question: did the FAMS have a special means of contacting the Captain? They must have identified themselves to the flight crew, quietly, somehow. Normally, do the flight crew know who the FAMS are?

thegreatchecko

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:09 pm

I sincerely doubt a FAM would all of a sudden get up and identify themselves, just to check IDs. To me that sounds like an awfully easy way for them to get identified and neutralized if someone wanted to try to hijack a plane these days.

I bet the flight crew didn't even know they were in the military (chances are they weren't in uniform), and honestly, they really should've been. I like it when I see some uniforms onboard when I fly. Not that it makes it any safer, but like most of the things the TSA has done, it LOOKS safer.  Wink

The FAM probably slipped the FA a note. I'm sure drunks do it all the time with their phone numbers.  Silly

GreatChecko

[Edited 2005-06-14 15:15:21]
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

deltadude8

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:33 am

well...from what all my friends in the airline business say- "We can pick out the AM's from a mile away" two members of my family on two different airlines both say "I know if its an AM"

ANCFlyer

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:17 am

Quoting Hawk44 (Reply 6):
The FAMS did their jobs but they should have been made aware that military service members would be on board.

Hence the reason I identfy myself (before and now, after retirement) to the flight crew as being military and of course, now a law enforcement officer.

Quoting Irishjohn (Reply 7):
I suppose they never considered asking them what they were doing? Military traveling without proper identification?

Wouldn't want to tip my hand if I were two FAMs and there are 7 "suspect" individuals so close to the flight deck. The odds aren't good. Further, there was no guarantee to the FAMs there weren't other "suspect" individuals in the Y cabin. Properly played on this point by the FAMs IMHO. As for identification, I'm sure they all had proper ID. They simply weren't asked.

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 8):
Normally, do the flight crew know who the FAMS are?

yes  Yes they do.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

FLAIRPORT

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:29 am

Safe sailing
John

I agree with you, Harry. But Irishjohn makes a good point too - why couldn't the FAMS have walked up to the guys and said, "what are you doing," rather than ordering the landing of the plane? Or maybe FAMS are simply not allowed to identify themselves, in which case their actions make sense.

So, why didn't the FAM ask the FAs to check it out? the FA could have gotten the military ID from them and all woud be well. I personally don't agree with the FAM program (for one reason the fact that they have guns and for another being that you don't know where they are or even if they are on your flight and most of the flights they are on are probably not flights that even an "amature" would target...ie short range flights...I do think that FAMs should be on all 757 and larger flights and all transcons/international flights) and I do think that they could have handled this much different.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

barney captain

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:40 am

Quote:
and for another being that you don't know where they are or even if they are on your flight

Exactly  Wink
Southeast Of Disorder

ANCFlyer

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:56 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 12):
So, why didn't the FAM ask the FAs to check it out? the FA could have gotten the military ID from them and all woud be well

Like I just said Flairport . . . . . . .

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):
Wouldn't want to tip my hand if I were two FAMs and there are 7 "suspect" individuals so close to the flight deck. The odds aren't good. Further, there was no guarantee to the FAMs there weren't other "suspect" individuals in the Y cabin. Properly played on this point by the FAMs IMHO

for another being that you don't know where they are or even if they are on your flight and most of the flights they are on are probably not flights that even an "amature" would target

YOU don't need to know . . .the flight crew will know who they are and where they are.

Your second point is based on what knowledge? Do YOU know which flights might be targeted? Please enlighten the rest of us as to how you came upon this wisdom? FYI . . .amature  no  amateur  yes 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

planespotting

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:02 am

the flight crew knows when Air Marshalls or LEO's are on the flight, but they don't know who or where they are sitting. AM's are also prohibited from identifying themselves unless an extreme situation occurs (which only includes stopping a perceived terrorist threat to the airplane itself). When i was with southwest they always said that they had no idea who the air marshalls were and didn't particularly care, just so long as they stepped up when the time was right
Do you like movies about gladiators?

SATL382G

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:02 am

Depending on why (business v. personal) the airline may not have been aware of their occupation. To do what you suggest the airlines would probably have to ask everybody their occupation.

Military traveling without proper identification?

Possible but not likely... too many bennies depend on that ID (Rental Car discounts, USO Lounge, etc)

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Reply 9):
I like it when I see some uniforms onboard when I fly

Prior to 9/11 the US Air Force discouraged travel by members in uniform (to avoiding being targeted by terrorists). After, it was in fact encouraged to wear the uniform for the very reason you suggest on domestic flights.

So, why didn't the FAM ask the FAs to check it out?

Why put the FAs in harms way, alarm the other pax, and alert a potential suspect? Better to defuse the situation on the ground.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

Jumpseat70

Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:45 am

These FAMS did exactly the right thing.

By the way, FAMS are NEVER to reveal their identity in any way. The plan is always to put the plane on the ground, then make the move. I applaud their actions. To say that the agents or F/A's should know that the paxs in questions were military is ridiculous.

The flight crews and F/A's know EXACTLY where the FAMS and LEOS are sitting. They meet them prior to the passengers arrival, by the way.

The FAMS always know if LEOS are onboard, but the LEOS most likely are not aware of the FAMS. That's just the way the rules read.
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

oldeuropean

Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:54 am

Put some FAMS on Air Force One and let`s see what happens.  rotfl   rotfl 

Axel  rotfl 
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

ANCFlyer

Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:21 am

Quoting Jumpseat70 (Reply 17):
but the LEOS most likely are not aware of the FAMS

In all the flights I've taken I have always told, discreetly, the crew that I am an LEO . . . most all tend to appreciate knowing this information (save one arrogant ass F/A from NW845 on 5/11/05). Never once have I been told, nor have I asked, if there were FAMs aboard. But I will almost guarantee they know I'm aboard.

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 18):
Put some FAMS on Air Force One and let`s see what happens

Your point Alex? If it's humor, you missed, badly.  expressionless 

hawk44

Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:41 am

Quoting Deltadude8 (Reply 10):
well...from what all my friends in the airline business say- "We can pick out the AM's from a mile away" two members of my family on two different airlines both say "I know if its an AM"

You would be surprised most people have no clue and should never want to know.

Quoting Jumpseat70 (Reply 17):
The FAMS always know if LEOS are onboard, but the LEOS most likely are not aware of the FAMS. That's just the way the rules read.

This is correct FAMS will know and usually the leo will know as well so if anything does go down you will not have a blue on blue incident.

Hawk44

brons2

Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:53 am

What kind of hand signals were these?

I'd be willing to bet money this whole thing is way overblown.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

NumberTwelve

Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:13 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 19):
Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 18):
Put some FAMS on Air Force One and let`s see what happens

Your point Alex? If it's humor, you missed, badly.

Why, ANCFlyer? Because you didn't like the joke? Where is your humour?
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

dragon-wings

Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:32 pm

Why couldn't the air marshals just observe the guys first and take action only if they started something?

Using hand signals should not be a reason for grounding a plane. If that is the case then deaf people should worry that their plane will be grounded by a air marshal when they get on a plane.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

hawk44

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:05 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 23):
Why couldn't the air marshals just observe the guys first and take action only if they started something?

Like what if they started to attempt to breach the cockpit at 35,000 ft? I don't know about you but I think it's much easier to handle a situation on the ground then it is in the air.

Hawk44

checkraiser

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:40 pm

Quoting NumberTwelve (Reply 22):
Why, ANCFlyer? Because you didn't like the joke? Where is your humour?

I don't get it either. It's obviously some sort of cheap shot but it just doesn't make any sense.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

SkyexRamper

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:48 pm

Normal military members traveling home or such after coming off active duty are normal people. They are listen normally and you won't know until they come dressed in good dress or fatigues. And if they are wearing civilian clothes you'll never know.

Because you don't wait to the last minute when everything is out control. The marshall(s)'s job is to keep the plane safe at all times.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

notdownnlocked

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:53 pm

So let me ask you all this: Why are these FAMS people so paranoid? Do they not have faith in the fact that these people they were so worried about were interrogated at the security checkpoint before they were allowed to board and their carry on luggage searched and possibly chemically checked for any type of explosives. Do they not have faith in their TSA coworkers that are there to protect them as well as us?

jetdeltamsy

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:00 pm

being members of the military does not exclude you from scrutiny. Ask Tim McVeigh.

Exactly correct.

I sincerely doubt a FAM would all of a sudden get up and identify themselves,

FAM's remain inconspicuous unless physical action on their part is required.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

jush

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:26 pm

Harry

Yeah go and celebrate america's paranoia.... you rock!
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

JGPH1A

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 19):
In all the flights I've taken I have always told, discreetly, the crew that I am an LEO

Hitting on the FA's with the old "I am Leo, what's YOUR sign ?" line - how 70's !

Big grin
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

hawk44

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:36 pm

Quoting Notdownnlocked (Reply 27):
So let me ask you all this: Why are these FAMS people so paranoid? Do they not have faith in the fact that these people they were so worried about were interrogated at the security checkpoint before they were allowed to board and their carry on luggage searched and possibly chemically checked for any type of explosives. Do they not have faith in their TSA coworkers that are there to protect them as well as us?

Paranoid is not the word, nothing is 100% and I know your trying to take a jab at the TSA and that's all good but bottom line is if I see a bunch of guys acting a little odd on a flight I don't care who searched them previously I'm not letting my guard down.

There have been numerous occasions where a person is placed under arrest and searched by an Officer then put in the back of a police car only to attack the other Officer with a knife or gun the previous Officer missed during his search.

Moral of the story cover your own ass because the old "I thought TSA would have seen that" excuse does not work on victims families.

Hawk44

Gilligan

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:11 pm

Exactly, I agree with you. Play it up and start giving hand signals themselves and then just ask innocently if they are all traveling together. If nothing bad is afoot members of the military are just like every other guy. They'll joke with an F/A all day given a chance. None of us were there but in hindsight it does seem like a little over reaction. Still, better safe than sorry.

I bet the flight crew didn't even know they were in the military (chances are they weren't in uniform), and honestly, they really should've been. I like it when I see some uniforms onboard when I fly. Not that it makes it any safer,

Other than when I came home the first time and wore my uniform to impress my parents and friends, I never traveled in the greens. Why be uncomfortable? The fatigues look cool but I'd rather be in a well worn pair of blue jeans and tennis shoes. And it doesn't make it any safer. Ask the sailor who lost his life during the TWA hijacking back in the middle 80's. As a matter of fact I believe he was the first one killed.

(quote)Air marshals said they were uncomfortable with the actions of seven passengers in the first-class section of the jet, but they're not saying what those actions were.(end quote)

This must have been a business trip, unless the military is paying substantially better than when I was in. lol

Using hand signals should not be a reason for grounding a plane. If that is the case then deaf people should worry that their plane will be grounded by a air marshal when they get on a plane.

That's a great one dragon wings, after a long and frustrating day I needed that! lol
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

oldeuropean

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:17 pm

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 25):
I don't get it either. It's obviously some sort of cheap shot but it just doesn't make any sense.

Perhaps, because some of you are living on another planet. Big grin

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

c172

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:30 pm

The big question is: why were these military guys flying first class? Your tax dollars at work.

HAWK21M

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:53 pm

- why couldn't the FAMS have walked up to the guys and said, "what are you doing," rather than ordering the landing of the plane

Which Terrorist would admit their Intention  Smile
The Flight Marshall would never disclose Identity.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

SkyexRamper

Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:32 am

Quoting C172 (Reply 34):
The big question is: why were these military guys flying first class? Your tax dollars at work.

Maybe first class seats were the only ones open as coach was oversold. This being the case, the military guys might as spoke up about who they were and got to fly first class free as the gate agent was being nice. Just a thought.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

RedAirForce

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:01 am

"Yeah go and celebrate america's paranoia.... you rock!"

"Put some FAMS on Air Force One and let`s see what happens. "

---
Man, you gotta love German comedians, kind of like French war heros.

RAF

ANCFlyer

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 30):
Hitting on the FA's with the old "I am Leo, what's YOUR sign ?" line - how 70's

Drunk in bar trying to pick up someone, "Hi,  drunk , I'm Mike . . . drunk  . . . What's your sign?  drunk  I'm a Feces!  drunk 

laughing 

Quoting RedAirForce (Reply 37):
Man, you gotta love German comedians, kind of like French war heros

rotfl 

md80fanatic

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:23 am

I have always wondered about two groups of "terrorists" aboard a single aircraft. One groups starts a ruckus, thereby identifying all the present officers as they rush to save the plane. Now what happens with group two on this particular flight? FAMs and LEOs identified, still at cruise altitude....now what?

It's really useless when you think about it. A fully uniformed and obviously armed marshall would do more to prevent this sort of thing than requiring them to be anonymous.

Or, as my girlfriend says, everyone could be required to fly naked if paranoia persists the way it is. I'm sure there is an abundance of a.net members who would love nothing more.  Big grin

hawk44

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:40 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 36):
This being the case, the military guys might as spoke up about who they were and got to fly first class free as the gate agent was being nice. Just a thought.

I think this makes sense and thus the reason I thought the FAMS might be made aware that military service members were on board.

Hawk44

mikefad

Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:45 am

I like it when I see some uniforms onboard when I fly. Not that it makes it any safer, but like most of the things the TSA has done, it LOOKS safer.

Oh , I agree Checko. But we surely wouldn't want to offend anyone opposed to "the unjust war conceived by BUSH and his henchmen!!!!"

Apparently the sight of a military-type uniform is so upsetting to some people, that they might not be able to digest their 'organic' tofu whilst watching Michael Moore on the IFE.

The medals of bravery and heroism also interfere with the 'Energy fields' of the passengers.................Can't have that.

ScarletHarlot

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting Mikefad (Reply 41):
Apparently the sight of a military-type uniform is so upsetting to some people, that they might not be able to digest their 'organic' tofu whilst watching Michael Moore on the IFE.

Give me a break. I'm as left as they come but I still appreciate servicemen and women. I would have no problem seeing a man or woman in uniform. It's not their fault their Great Leader George Bush is a totally misguided idiot!  Smile

Quoting C172 (Reply 34):
why were these military guys flying first class?

In some cases people have given up their first class seats so that military people coming home could have them.
But that was when I ruled the world

B744F

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:29 am

Quoting Mikefad (Reply 41):
The medals of bravery and heroism also interfere with the 'Energy fields' of the passengers.................Can't have that.

It has more to do with wars fought for ridiculous reasons and people being "proud" of the violence they are apart of.

Thucydides

Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:23 am

Quoting Echster (Reply 2):
The 7 pax turned out to be.......members of the US military. They were questioned and caught another flight to DC later that day.

Hey Echster -

Get your facts straight before commenting on a thread. The removed passengers were "Qatari military officials" and not members of the US military.

According to a passenger, "there was a lot of communication between the men and a lot by hand signal."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2005/06/13/AR2005061301937.html

There are now 41 posts based on the false premise that the men in question were US military.

ClearedDirect
Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:52 am

From the article...

"The men appeared to know each other and were gesturing to each other, a spokesman for the air marshal service said. After the marshal reported the behavior to the crew, the Boeing 727-4000 with more than 140 passengers was diverted to Jacksonville, Fla."

Ummm, what was that plane type again???

CD

B744F

Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:57 am

wow that must be a new design!! haha

JGPH1A

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:20 pm

Quoting Thucydides (Reply 44):
The removed passengers were "Qatari military officials"

Ah, that's more like it. Who says racial profiling is a lost art ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

FlyingTexan

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:30 pm

From The Washington Post -

After the marshal reported the behavior to the crew, the Boeing 727-4000 with more than 140 passengers was diverted to Jacksonville, Fla.

In one corner we have the AP article on Hooter's with service to Nassau, Fla and in another we have this!
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

FLAIRPORT

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:44 pm

Quoting C172 (Reply 34):

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 42):
In some cases people have given up their first class seats so that military people coming home could have them.

Also, people on active Military Duty get preference when flying (AKA they have to have a seat) and if first was the only thing open...

After the marshal reported the behavior to the crew, the Boeing 727-4000 with more than 140 passengers was diverted to Jacksonville, Fla.
Gotta love that Washington Post!

And yes, racial profiling at its best...still, even though it was Qtari military, the same standards should have applied...a simple FA question leading to the military showing their IDs and it would all be fine and dandy!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos