Topic Author

SXM Go-Around Sunday 12JUN

Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:10 am

I'm hearing from a friend who was there...see email below....anyone have pics??????

Apparantly a Corsair 747 had a missed approach into SXM Sunday afternoon.
were off course, and almost hit a building. They aborted landing, circled
30 minutes, went to another island for fuel, then came back to SXM.

What can you find out about it? >>

RE: SXM Go-Around Sunday 12JUN

Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:04 am

I was on the beach at SXM 3 weeks ago and saw a USAirways 757 do a go-around...but it was due to traffic not clearing the runway on time.

Also got to see a KLM 744 and Corsair 743 land...and take off (don't stand on the beach directly behind a 747 taking off!).

Unless viz was very poor, I can't imagine an aircraft coming close to hitting anything but the runway (hmmm...and maybe that fence) at SXM.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:09 am

Sounds very exaggerated to me. Especially on an approach like SXM, I would think that if the plane was so off course to be in danger of striking a structure, they would abort the approach long before there was any danger. In any case, go-arounds are more common than many people believe, and really aren't newsworthy unless something else spectacular happens.

Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:09 am

The weather for the Eastern Caribbean haven't been the best within the past week or so. My best guess would be, the flight was coming in during low viz. The mere fact that the aircraft "circled for 30 mins" proves that theory somewhat. In any event, if the flight divered to another island "for fuel", they most likely would have gone to Guadeloupe or Martinique. Also, it is highly unlikely that the aircraft "strayed off course and almost hit a building".
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.