IL96M
Topic Author

2 Women In The Flight Deck

Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:57 pm

Recently I flew UA 744 (UA888) PEK-SFO, and I was flying C in the upper deck. Before takeoff the flight-deck door was opened, and I was very excited to see that both captain and 1st officer (not relief pilots) were both ladies.

I have often had one lady in the flight deck, and if you listen on United's Channel 8 you can hear many talking, but it's the first time all-female crew - and on a 744! (They did a splendid job of flying us over to SFO). Is this a growing trend (but never seen in Asia or Europe)?

trekster

RE: 2 Women In The Flight Deck

Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:07 pm

U missed the Comair flt in South Africa where the WHOLE crew, CPT F/O and Cabin staff were all Female. There was a big thing about it in the papers last year as its the first time ever that has happened
Where does the time go???

tinpusher007

Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:10 pm

I have seen an all-female crew on Comair (DL Connex) here in the US operating CVG-DAB-CVG on a CRJ-700.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

flykal

Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:24 pm

Someone posted a while back that Air India recently had their first all female crew operating. Can't remember exactly, but I think it was on an A-310.
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

hawaijahaz

Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:08 pm

I belive that Indian Airlines has done this a while back.

PG

QantasA380

Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:17 pm

I've never had an all girls crew, but I have had them outnumber guys 2-1 (pilot + attendant) and 3-1 (pilot + 2 attendants) on Dash 8s around Australia before, and each time as the handling pilot. I've also had a female F/O as the handling pilot on a B734 into Canberra through heavy rain, wind and turbulence. They are bloody wonderful, despite what arrogant male pilots will tell you, some of the best landings ever (and the only time I've ever seen both main gear struts go down at the same time on a Dash!!)!!!

Cheers...
Virgin Blue - what colour's RED????

flykal

Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting QantasA380 (Reply 5):
I've also had a female F/O as the handling pilot on a B734 into Canberra through heavy rain, wind and turbulence.

I find it strange to read comments such as this. Why is this so spectacular? The fact is that female pilots are trained in exactly the same way as us male versions, and if they can't fly the airplane through heavy rain, wind and turbulence...then they shouldn't be flying. Same applies for male pilots.

Yes it is wonderful that we now have female pilots, and looking from the other perspective, one could say it's wonderful that we now have male cabin crew.

As for the comments about smoother landings...please! No two landings could ever be the same, so it's pointless commenting on. Everyone has good landings and not so good ones.
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:48 pm

Working at Southwest, I have only seen two female pilots on the same aircraft once. They actually came to my gate twice in the same day (and remembered me when they returned Big grin). Anyway, I thought it was a neat thing to see.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

tinpusher007

Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:14 pm

Quoting Flykal (Reply 6):
I find it strange to read comments such as this. Why is this so spectacular? The fact is that female pilots are trained in exactly the same way as us male versions, and if they can't fly the airplane through heavy rain, wind and turbulence...then they shouldn't be flying. Same applies for male pilots.

Yes it is wonderful that we now have female pilots, and looking from the other perspective, one could say it's wonderful that we now have male cabin crew.

As for the comments about smoother landings...please! No two landings could ever be the same, so it's pointless commenting on. Everyone has good landings and not so good ones.

I can't speak for everyone but I think it is a proud moment to see two women in the cockpit. I was not trying to imply that this is something to make fun of.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

ZRH

Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:19 pm

I don't understand this thread. So what? Is there any special about it? I had a few times an all female crew. I couldn't care less. There is no difference when they are trained the same, what I expect.

BritPilot777

Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:01 pm

Channel 8!? Who the hell have I been listening to on channel 9 then!?  rotfl 
Forever Flight

ozguy

Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:13 pm

I can see that all pilots are trained to do the same job and have to meet the same competencies required to work as airliner pilots but I have a soft spot for female pilots. I have massive respect for all pilots for doing what they do and for the sacrifices/obstacles they've most likely had to face at one point or another to get to where they are but I always like seeing a young female FOs pull up the gates in their 737 at my local airport. I've never been on a flight that I was aware there was a female pilot on (believe it or not) so I'm hoping I get one flying the 747 I'm taking to Singapore on the 30th...

FlyKal, I know it's getting common these days but I still find it cool.
I'm also fond of the fact that we have male cabin crew now aswell. (well, males dominated that field before women got the chance to in the first place I believe, but the fact that it's getting more popular with guys is a welcome trend in my books)

Cheers,
OzGuy

sparkingwave

Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:16 pm

There was a photo I saw once of an all-female cockpit crew for People Express airlines back in the early 1980s.

SparkingWave
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

trident2e

Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:20 pm

Quoting IL96M (Thread starter):
They did a splendid job of flying us over to SFO

What an incredibly patronising thing to say. Why wouldn't they have done a good job, and why should their skills be worthy of comment just because they are women?

SA7700

Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:25 pm

Quoting Trekster (Reply 1):
U missed the Comair flt in South Africa where the WHOLE crew, CPT F/O and Cabin staff were all Female. There was a big thing about it in the papers last year as its the first time ever that has happened

They missed the bus a few years back. We were on a SA Express flight back in 1995 when an all-female crew (cockpit and cabin) operated the flight JNB-BFN. A film crew of the SABC (South African Broadcasting Corp) was also onboard to tape it for a breakfast show. I have it somewhere on videotape; the problem is to find it... Big grin

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

VgnAtl747

Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:44 am

We have also had an all female crew flying OH CVG-BGM-CVG... Comair has quite a few female captains and F/O's...
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

flyboy80

Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:54 am

I love it when sterotypes are reversed!!! And show the real way things work. For instance, I was on an HP flight (319) from LAS-PHX about two years ago. Flight deck was all female, and cabin crew was all male! Pretty awesome to see things changing...

boeingfever777

Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:08 am

Recently I flew UA 744 (UA888) PEK-SFO, and I was flying C in the upper deck. Before takeoff the flight-deck door was opened, and I was very excited to see that both captain and 1st officer (not relief pilots) were both ladies.

UA has a few female pilots... most noteable is Capt. Meryl Getline.

Her is a pic of herself with her female F/O and male reserve pilot.

I believe the flight here is in May 05 UA902 IAD-MUC.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

Ken777

Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:01 am

Happened to me about 20 years ago on an AA DFW-OKC flight. Both flight deck and cabin were manned (?) by women and they advised of the situation as we started our decent. AA didn't consider the sex of the staff when assigning flights at that time and I doubt if they do now.

As for the first FAs - as I recall initially they were nurses in the US and would have probably been women.

FlySSC

Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:51 am

Women in a flight is not anymore something very uncommon !!!

20 years ago, on Feb. 8th 1985, The Air Inter Mercure operating a flight ORY-FNI was served by an all female crew : 3 flight attendant and 3 Cockpit crew :

Captain Anne Marie Peltier (now retired), First Officer Brigitte L. (Now AF Captain on A320), and flight engineer Colette V. (now AF Captain on A320)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alain Iger

qantas777

Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:05 am

oh, god help us all if they would ever happen to me. Two women up front!

Indy

Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:15 am

Quoting Qantas777 (Reply 20):
Two women up front!

Is that a good or bad thing? At least if they got lost there is someone that will call the tower and ask for directions.  Smile
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

nudelhirsch

Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:29 am

Unless it is women who also load the bags, there is no equality given... :P

But that would be quite a deal, an entire flight, including ground ops, ATC, crew... all done by women... Some people would be scared...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

IL96M
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:54 am

Quoting Trident2e (Reply 13):
What an incredibly patronising thing to say.

I was just being polite, you poncy Brit.

DarthRandall

Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:10 am

Damn it, from the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about something a little more....interesting.
Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads all the time and don't even think twice about it.

justplanecrazy

Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:59 am

i had a flight a recently where some of the passengers started clapping when we landed,i didnt know why until i saw that the captain was a female  stirthepot 
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

Gilligan

Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:15 am

A few years ago while working the wx room a pilot came in and said in a loud and nasal east tx twang, "Sh-tfire, I just jumpseated on a Southwest flight and wouldn't you know it, 2 feeeemales were a flyin the thing! Thought sure my number was up and I was gonna die!!" All the pilots in the wx room who had been, up to that point, talking about their kids, cars, condos, and boats suddenly found it necessary to get to their aircraft as quickly as possible. Those that were left hurriedly found something to do. Dinosaurs do indeed still roam the earth! lol
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

viscount630

Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:26 am

Hardly an unusual event these days, surely?

The Uk's first lady Captain, Yvonne Sintes, was appointed back in the 60's. The story of her hard work on getting that far in such a male-dominated field at that time, is worth a book on it's own right. When I worked for Dan-Air, who she eventually flew with, she was regarded as one of the most capable, professional and competent pilots on the roster and a pleasure to both work with and to be flown by. In fact she was captain on my first of many DA flights, on a 748 from LGW to OST. She later commanded Comets and One-Elevens, eventually retiring as a senior captain on the latter.

Thanks to pioneers like Yvonne, the presence of an all-female commercial flight deck crew is a common event in europe and worldwide, on most aircraft types. It's the ability, training and experience that counts (in ANY job). NOT the gender.
RIP Dan-Air. Where the Secret was SERVICE.

tattvc

Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:31 am

My mom is a DC-10 Capitan for FX; she often flies with a first and second Officer that are female. (She says they have more fun, if it's a good crew!  bigthumbsup  )
TatTVC
"Your time is limited- don't waste it living someone else's life" -Steve Jobs

Gilligan

Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:46 am

Quoting TatTVC (Reply 28):
(She says they have more fun, if it's a good crew!

Funny how if that was an all male crew that said that they'd be deemed sexist and in need of some sensitivity training.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

PK786

Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:40 am

I just wish they were little more nice looking so flight will be more colorful and pleasant  biting 

pac

Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:53 am

A couple yars ago ,is was heading for a Fedex flt form MEM to CDG,
the Captain was happy to to see me..a Male Jumpseater,cuz 1st & 2 nd Officer
were females,and he let them do their Job,and they did it the same way as a
male would do. so he was just happe to have a male Jumpseater so ,we
could talk about the mens stuff Big grin
and a couple weeks ago there was a female Captaian on an LH flight...not bad either...so I thik there not a Big difference between men & woman on flightdecks...maybe more in riding a car  Silly

brucek

Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:21 am

Good thread. I flew on a United B777 from Auckland (NZAA) to LAX in 2001. Both Captain and FO were women, with another 2 male pilots as reserve. I noted the two women in the front seats prior to boarding, then 12 hours later on descent into LAX noted the 2 different female voices- one on the interphone with cabin instructions, and the other on channel 9 ATC. Both very different voices, so they must have both ended up in the front seats after the pilot changeovers. I think they do a better job than us men- more patience, etc....

We had flown down to NZAA on a B744 from LAX, and I was surprised at the way the *male* pilot who was on the intercom mentioned many times how the B744 was a faster plane ad would do the trip in less time than a B777 (obviously UA were operating both types to NZAA at the time). I later wondered if this was a statement more for the male gender, given I assume they all operated out of the LAX hub  Smile

I would also say that out of the several flight instructors I have had for various rating/license training, that the women do a much better job.

Bruce.

faenum

Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:22 am

Quoting Viscount630 (Reply 27):
The Uk's first lady Captain, Yvonne Sintes, was appointed back in the 60's

Am I right in thinking this is Yvonne Pope who, in 1975, became the first woman jet captain in the UK? I remember her from 1966 when I worked in British United's Load Control dept at LGW. She often commanded a DC3 carrying newspapers to DUS in the early hours of the morning.

tatfsn

Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:33 am

There's a very good book that was first published over 30 years ago, "She'll Never Get Off the Ground," by Robert Serling. It was a ficticious story about the first female airline pilot in the U.S., and takes place in 1970. It tells about the predjudice she encountered in getting accepted by the airline that she applied to ("Trans Coastal"), and the obstacles she had to overcome during her training, to become a 737 first officer. It was also an interesting character study of her own inner conflicts in pursuing a career that back then was all male, and nearly all white. There is also an African-American in her class, and what was especially interesting is that the predjudice she encountered was greater than that which he did.

It's also an interesting historical work, as well, and I still have my weathered, nearly thirty year old paperback copy. It's a very well written book and quite technically accurate (the author had written two other aviation oriented books, one fiction and one nonfiction prior to this one).

It is amazing how much aviation--and society--in that regard, have changed (for the better!!) since then. In rereading part of the book, it now looks like a story that took place in the stone age!!

I work at a busy secondary hub airport; my job involves, in part, monitoring the ATC transmissions. While all-female crews are still a rarity, hearing several female pilots on the frequency during my shift is a daily, and utterly routine occurrence. Ditto for air traffic controllers. I think I've been on only one flight myself where one of the pilots was a woman, and at least two that I know of where the captain was an African-American.

It is a great commentary on our industry and society that hardly anyone--passenger or other--hardly thinks twice about such things anymore.

iwok

Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:39 am

2 Women In The Flight Deck

The title of the post is very misleading; I was hoping for some other "aviation news".  Wink

iwok

pualani

Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:26 am

The 1st all female crew I believe was at my airline (HA). This happened in the late 70's on a Shorts 330.The captain was Sherri Emminger. Not sure who was the f/o but the single f/a was Trude Asada.

pualani

BR715-A1-30

Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:09 am

I don't understand why people think female pilots are more unsafe than males. They pass the same tests, get the same ratings, and make the same XX dollars... They are just as serious as males, and in my opinion, SOME do a better job than a male pilot could.  twocents 
Puhdiddle

Reggaebird

Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:13 am

I have been on a flight (I think that it was UA) where the flight crew was all-female and the cabin crew was all-male. That was interesting but not worthy of NEWS.

Reggaebird

Santhosh

Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:39 am

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 2):
Someone posted a while back that Air India recently had their first all female crew operating. Can't remember exactly, but I think it was on an A-310.

Quoting Hawaijahaz (Reply 4):
I belive that Indian Airlines has done this a while back.

PG

That is correct. Air India has got ladies who fly their A310 series. Since I frequently monitor the air traffic control frequencies using the VHF scanner, I usually we come to over hear these women as they fly in to TRV. Not only Air India, Indian Airlines and Jet Airways also have quite a few women flying their A320-‘s and B-737-’s respectively. My only doubt is whether Sahara has got women crew in their fleet.

Regards
George
Happy Landings :)

KDTWflyer

Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:49 am

Hey NW has had female only DC10 crews!

NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

ozguy

Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:00 am

What plane type is it in the Boeingfever777 shot? I can tell it's got two throttle levers but I'm not realy good at cockpit recognition...I was thinking 777, but don't really have any idea...?

ha763

Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:20 am

Quoting Pualani (Reply 36):
The 1st all female crew I believe was at my airline (HA). This happened in the late 70's on a Shorts 330.The captain was Sherri Emminger. Not sure who was the f/o but the single f/a was Trude Asada.

HA only claims this was the first all female crew in America only. It was in 1979.

QantasA380

Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:40 am

Quoting Flykal (Reply 6):
Quoting QantasA380 (Reply 5):
I've also had a female F/O as the handling pilot on a B734 into Canberra through heavy rain, wind and turbulence.

Are you actually a pilot Flykal??? Because you may not appreciate what I have to say. I have met a lot of pilots, both male and female. I am well aware of what each and every one of them has been through to get where they are, and it's amazing no matter whether they're male or female... However, having had a chance to speak to all of these people, and to fly with some of them and others, I think I'm in a pretty good position to have judged their personalities (particularly as that was the whole point to me meeting them)... In GENERAL (with some exceptions), male pilots are extremely arrogant, and I have heard comments like "women pilots are hopeless" and "women pilots have no depth perception" that many times it makes me sick. If they were truly that hopeless, or really had limited depth perception, then those INDIVIDUALS wouldn't be flying!! Conversly, the female pilots have always been really down to earth, not a hint of arrogance among them.

In my experience, the female pilots that I have been aware of as the handling pilots on various flights have been far better able to handle the aircraft (esp. during landing) than most males I have flown with. Women are more patient, they take the time to think things through, their concentration is stronger and they don't try to show off. They're there to do a job, and that's exactly what they do, not fiddling around trying to make themselves look good.

Anyone who can put any aircraft down in Canberra without bouncing or snapping the landing gear deserves my respect - it's a really bumpy ride at the best of times, let alone when there's a 25KIAS crosswind and driving rain.

Anyone who can put a Dash 8 down on both main gear at the same time deserves my respect too (I have had a lot of experience with Dash 8s, and have only ever seen both main gear go down together once).

Just happens that both of these occassions were women flying the aircraft!!!

Now for some extra perspective... I think it's great that guys are getting into the cabin, so they should. I've flown with a number of male F/As as well, and they tend to be pretty good. While we're there, the best landing of any flight I've been on was flown by an all male crew (both really friendly and down to earth as well)... it was an A330 landing in Sydney and about five minutes after landing (almost at the gate) my friend asked me when we were going to land!!!

Again, just my experience...

Cheers...
Virgin Blue - what colour's RED????

apodino

Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:46 am

Quoting OzGuy (Reply 41):
What plane type is it in the Boeingfever777 shot? I can tell it's got two throttle levers but I'm not realy good at cockpit recognition...I was thinking 777, but don't really have any idea...?

Definitely a 777. The two display panels over the f/o's shoulder are side by side glass, and there are two thrust levers, meaning two engines. United only operates one plane like that the 777. Another giveaway is that Meryl Getline is in the photo, and she is currently a well known 777 captain for United who has her own web site, has written a book, and has a regular article in USAToday.

ozguy

Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:10 pm

Thanks Adopino, I thought it was 777 but was unsure. I thought I'd heard of this high profile united captain before and (vaguely) thought she looked familiar. Sure enough, having just read your reply and flicked through my latest Airways to the book review section I just found her book "the world at my feet".

cheers,

AirIndiaOne

Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:13 pm

Quoting Santhosh (Reply 39):
Air India has got ladies who fly their A310 series

Air India celebrates Women's Day by having an all-women crew aboard their regular flights.

Quoting Santhosh (Reply 39):
My only doubt is whether Sahara has got women crew in their fleet.

Affirmitive. Sahara does have a couple of women F/O.
"You don't have to be crazy to be in aviation, but it helps", JRD Tata

dc10rules

Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:14 pm

Oz guy

I believe that UA pic is a 767-300 or 777-200 hard to tell. Im sure an expert will be able to tell you for sure.

Tim

[Edited 2005-06-19 05:20:08]

IslipWN

Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:48 pm

On a WN flight from ISP to BWI, we had an all female flight crew! Let me tell you, that captain was one wild one too! She looked like a motorcycle rider!

cbphoto

Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:53 pm

Quoting DC10rules (Reply 47):

Has to be a 777, a 767 cockpit is semi-glass, where as the picture above is an all glass cockpit!

I once had an all female flight crew on a UA 735 from MSP-DEN-PHX. I agree that they do have the best landings, it was a great flight as well!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos