rjpieces

Is This A Security Risk (at LHR)?

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:14 am

Found this in the database.....Isn't this a major security risk?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kevin Minter - Mint Photography

"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Newark777

RE: Is This A Security Risk (at LHR)?

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:17 am

Personally, I would think this would be a bigger risk:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Rosa

But as long as they are guarded properly, I don't see a problem with it.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

EGGD

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:19 am

Yes, you're right. My suggestion is that the BA Maintenence hangars be blocked off until further notice and that the matter be investigated thoroughly.

Or maybe it's not.

kl911

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):

Not everybody in this world is as paranoia as the US are...... We like to relax and enjoy life...

KL911

flyAUA

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:34 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):

DITTO Big grin

I really don't think it is since that is the maintenance hangar. This terrorism threat isn't as bad as it is portrayed in the media, but EVEN if it were to be, you can't really kill many people when carrying out an attack on an empty aircraft being towed into/out of the maintenance hangar. Besides, I am sure it is well guarded  Wink
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

September11

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:52 am

Hong Kong (old airport) risky!
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daryl Chapman

New airport in CA - nothing!
View Large View Medium

Photo © Hendrik

Bridge?
View Large View Medium

Photo © Filipe Clairouin - Madeira Spotters

SFO - see two planes take off and land?
View Large View Medium

Photo © I. Gunawan

Airliners.net of the Future

geoffm

Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:40 am

Why? It's guarded (see the security hut under the "British"), so what's the problem? Those booms block access when the road is open. And it's nowhere near the runways.

Geoff M.

BMIFlyer

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:11 am

Re pic 1, that situation is no longer present.

Barriers now block the road before the 'aircraft' gates are opened.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Newark777

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:14 am

Yeah, I sure hope you're enjoying life next time a terrorist blows himself up on a bus in Europe.....Or perhaps this resonates more, a filmaker brutally killed while riding his bike. Your European righteousness adds nothing to the discussion.

Don't worry, man, it's not worth the effort. This is the same guy who thought we were talking about the south of France when we were talking about the sunset bar at SXM. If you go by his signature, it appears he is never sober.

True, but it is an incredibly easy target...And it's fairly difficult to destroy an aircraft these days (or so I hope)....This appears to be a loophole.

There are some areas around airports that do seem as though they are serious security risks. I guess in this case, it is more a case of necessity. The planes have to get to the other part of the maintenance facility to the other, and there is a road in the way. Just another possible security risk to point out, and I think this one is quite possible the most risky of all of them:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Chambers

Harry

Glom

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:22 am

They're towing a BA 744 over to the maintenance hanger. Where's the risk?

SPREE34

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:22 am

Oh my god, the world is unsecure, and insecure, and...and ....well you know.....somebody better do something! :0

Let's stop all aviation activity until this is fixed. Wait, that WOULD fix it. Ships? Overland shipping?
Private automobiles!! Now there is a threat. Let's keep all private vehicles off the roads until we can be sure thay are secure.

opening another bottle of FRENCH wine  Smile  Smile
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

Newark777

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:24 am

They're towing a BA 744 over to the maintenance hanger. Where's the risk?

What if that truck on the left had a bomb, and suddenly sped forward and exploded? I say that is a risk, especially in this day of global terrorism.

Harry

September11

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 7):
I think this one is quite possible the most risky of all of them:

good call, Newark777. I am sure no passengers are in that plane ... (why need passengers when taxing to/from maintenance facility)
Airliners.net of the Future

Newark777

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:31 am

Oh my god, the world is unsecure, and insecure, and...and ....well you know.....somebody better do something! :0

Let's stop all aviation activity until this is fixed. Wait, that WOULD fix it. Ships? Overland shipping?
Private automobiles!! Now there is a threat. Let's keep all private vehicles off the roads until we can be sure thay are secure.

opening another bottle of FRENCH wine

Thank you for your completely useless post, which proved nothing, and accomplished nothing but the lowering of all of our IQ's by reading it.

Harry

Glom

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:34 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 12):
What if that truck on the left had a bomb, and suddenly sped forward and exploded? I say that is a risk, especially in this day of global terrorism.

For crying out loud! A suicide car just happens to be driving along that road at the moment an empty 744 choses to cross. You do know there is a tunnel under 27R/09L used by all traffic to access T123? Inventing paranoid disaster scenarios about the towing of the 744 is a somewhat misplaced used of the apocalyptic imagination.

Besides, why would an terrorist bother to blow up an empty 744? They clearly find it far more appealing to blow up their own people.

trident2e

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:02 am

Yeah, I sure hope you're enjoying life next time a terrorist blows himself up on a bus in Europe.....Or perhaps this resonates more, a filmaker brutally killed while riding his bike. Your European righteousness adds nothing to the discussion.

Coming from an Amercian I'd say that's a clear case of the kettle calling the pot black! Americans invented self-righteousness, don't you know.

Glom

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:11 am

Quoting Trident2e (Reply 16):
Coming from an Amercian I'd say that's a clear case of the kettle calling the pot black! Americans invented self-righteousness, don't you know.

But to be fair, Europeans have copied the concept very well. Still, he is being paranoid.

flyAUA

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:16 am

True, but it is an incredibly easy target...

Why would any stupid terrorist want to target an empty aircraft. I thought they kill people to actually "claim" something...

Besides, it's guarded. The British wouldn't let a security loophole at LHR pass them by. There are so many other (easier) ways to blow up an aircraft than to do it from this place.

rtfm

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:22 am

Actually the answer is yes (according to those who have responsibility for security at LHR). Which is why the Eastchurch Crossing is going to be permanently closed this year. The road around the east side of the maintenace base is currently being upgraded and a new road put in. Once the roadworks have been completed (I think they are due to be finished around Sep/Oct this year) then the road crossing will be permanently closed and fenced off.

BCNGRO

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:39 am

Isn't this a major security risk?

OMG! Look at this train: It's stopped at the train station and its doors are open. Anyone could get on it with a bomb and blow it up! It's a major security risk! Let's not travel by train until this is fixed!

Quoting KL911 (Reply 3):
Not everybody in this world is as paranoia as the US are...

checkmark 
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

Arsenal@LHR

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:46 am

It's hardly a security risk, only to those living in a paranoid world with their bogus colour-coded warning system post 9-11. Just who would want to harm an empty 747 being towed across a road at 5 mph? You can accuse BAA of a lot of things, but i doubt they would cut corners as far as safety and security is concerned.
In Arsene we trust!!

rjpieces

Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:54 am

Actually the answer is yes (according to those who have responsibility for security at LHR). Which is why the Eastchurch Crossing is going to be permanently closed this year. The road around the east side of the maintenace base is currently being upgraded and a new road put in. Once the roadworks have been completed (I think they are due to be finished around Sep/Oct this year) then the road crossing will be permanently closed and fenced off.

Thank you RTFM. And what do all of you who mocked me say about this?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

flyAUA

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 22):
Thank you RTFM. And what do all of you who mocked me say about this?

If you are referring to me as well, I never mocked you  Smile

I still think it is not a safety loophole taking into account the layers of defense built into the concept, but certainly their future plans regarding the crossing will make it safeR  Wink

Rj111

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:39 am

When planes aren't crossing that road you can actually pretty much walk up to the SA 747 that's usually parked there, off course you'd get stopped, but there's a a gap in the barrier.

The biggest risk come from people like me driving down that road looking at the planes. Car control goes out of the window.  no 

Newark777

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:52 am

The biggest risk come from people like me driving down that road looking at the planes. Car control goes out of the window.

Think that's bad, I am thoroughly distracted while driving past EWR on the Turnpike, and that road is a little bigger.  Wink

Harry

columbia107

Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:39 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):

Newark777 is right that Gibraltar airport is has its own peculiar security problems. For a start the runway is bisected by a road which constitutes the main access road leading to and from Gibraltar's border with Spain.

However, the airfield is under the security of the military's Security Police. Policemen are armed and vehicles are held on standby at both ends of the access road when the barriers are down. In addition, a chain containing sharp spikes is placed across the road in front of the barriers whenever aircraft are landing or taking off in order to deter anyone foolish enough to crash through the barrier.

You will also note the red and white concrete blocks guarding the ramp areas on both side of the runway. This makes it more tedious and difficult for someone on wheels to get near parked aircraft.

In addition there is a 24/7 quick reaction force to handle emergencies provided by the Royal Gibraltar Regiment.

All of these security measures were introduced in 2003 when the Gibraltar airfield underwent a major renovation.

To be quite honest, Gibraltar's airport has its security flaws but the measures adopted go a long way to deter the most boldest of terrorist. At least to considerable limit their chances of success.

Nevertheless, constant vigilance is required on the part of the British military.
In God we trust

Speedbird2155

Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:44 pm

Quoting RTFM (Reply 19):
Actually the answer is yes (according to those who have responsibility for security at LHR). Which is why the Eastchurch Crossing is going to be permanently closed this year.

Actually, security was but one of the reasons for the road being closed. It also has to do with the traffic flow, which currently has to be interrupted whenever there is an aircraft crossing. Also, the current procedure is somewhat labour intensive as it requires extra personal than what would be required if the road wasn't there. It must also be considered that when T5 opens, BA will be operating from the opposite end of the airport and closing the road will allow for a little more freedom in operating to and from the maintenance base.

So yeah, security might have been a part of it, but security was always maintained.

True, but it is an incredibly easy target...And it's fairly difficult to destroy an aircraft these days (or so I hope)....This appears to be a loophole.

We in the UK have lived with attacks for quite a while (such as those from the IRA), which meant that LHR was a traget long before 2001 and you can be assured that if this was considered an easy target, then action would have been taken during this period. Thanks for the concern, but it's a bit overblown.

viscount630

Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:53 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 22):
Actually the answer is yes (according to those who have responsibility for security at LHR). Which is why the Eastchurch Crossing is going to be permanently closed this year.

Really? I've not lived in the area for a long time, but that was always a MAJOR route for local traffic, and not just airport related. What will be the routing be from the Hatton Cross area to Northside now? And from when?  boggled 
RIP Dan-Air. Where the Secret was SERVICE.

aerorobnz

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:12 pm

As has already been stated - there are barriers that come down, and the pedestrian gates lock so no one can walk through on the footpath. Not a security issue in the slightest. I have been there dozens of times when an aircraft has been crossing (been in no mans land in the middle when the lights started flashing) There are bigger issues within the actual terminal than that...I've seen them firsthand.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

AMSSpotter

Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:23 pm

I definitely acknowledge the threat of another terrorist attack but if terrorists were to use a rocket-launcher like they did on that Israeli aircraft in Africa, they wouldn't even need to come close to the aircraft. I know that, luckily, they missed the aircraft in that particular case but what I'm trying to say is that if you really have bad intentions, a gate or a fence is not going to stop you. Gates and fences are there to keep the general public, the masses, out but you need more than that to stop terrorists from doing what they're trying to do.
I guess we still need to find a balance between the protection- and the relaxation-levels.

Jamie757

Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:58 pm

I think here in the UK we need not worry. Any threat to public safety is always exploited by these guys before the terrorists get there......

I've not seen them at any airports yet (or maintenance hangars)!  wink 

Rgds.
"I feel like a turkey who's just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at him!"

Speedbird2155

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:05 pm

Quoting Jamie757 (Reply 31):
I've not seen them at any airports yet (or maintenance hangars)!

LOL, don't go giving them any ideas....Tower Bridge made trying to get around a headache.

flyAUA

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:29 pm

Quoting Jamie757 (Reply 31):
I think here in the UK we need not worry. Any threat to public safety is always exploited by these guys before the terrorists get there......

Haha, good to know  bigthumbsup 

WillieP

Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:52 pm

Security Risk!
I Can't think of any Security risk at LHR in recent years, apart from when a couple of Sun reporters got on a couple of parked up BA planes. But after that they beefed up security and that was pre 9/11.

EGGD

Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:58 pm

What the...? Are some of you guys serious? An empty aircraft crossing a road, security risk? A suicide van speeding through the gates and crashing into the aircraft as it taxies EMPTY from the maintenence area? In that case, what about every railway crossing with a road? What about the terminal buildings! What about all tall buildings, perhaps they should all blocked off to avoid public exposure and possible attacks resulting? Seriously, why the paranoia? Are we supposed to hide aircraft from the public behind closed doors to prevent Terrorist attacks? Absolutely ridiculous.

WillieP

Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:59 pm

well said  bigthumbsup 

BlueSky1976

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:06 pm

You need to know, that if the security at the airports where 9/11 terrorists boarded those planes were at the same level as in Europe, the World Trade Center would still be where it was. Besides, did you read Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor"?* I strongly believe he was the one who gave those terrorists the idea of 9/11 assault... Not Osama bin Laden, unfortunately...

*) ...just in case you didn't read the book: at the very end of it a disgruntled JAL pilot crashes 747-400 loaded with fuel into the Capitol.
POLAND IS UNDER DICTATORSHIP. PLEASE SUPPORT COMMITTEE FOR DEFENSE OF DEMOCRACY, K.O.D.

Glom

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:17 pm

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 37):
You need to know, that if the security at the airports where 9/11 terrorists boarded those planes were at the same level as in Europe, the World Trade Center would still be where it was.

I believe you are right. We've had to deal with IRA a lot longer. The only difference between them and the current lot is the current lot blow themselves up with the bomb.

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:18 pm

The UK has lived with mainstream terrorism for 30 years, I think we are safe enough doign things our way....

Oh and on the subject of Debt of Honor, wasnt one of the fantasy plans of the Columbine massacre gunmen to steal a jet and crash it into the WTC? That was called a 'wild fantasy' at the time by the press.

donder10

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:20 pm

Terrorists can think for themselves,BlueSky.If anything,you could say he ripped his idea from the planned blowing up of the Eiffel Tower by Algerian nutters in the early-mid 90s(don't remember exact date)with an AF A300.

gmidy

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:24 pm

UK is fine we just bring in the tanks.. Big grin
Lawrence

flyAUA

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:25 pm

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 37):
You need to know, that if the security at the airports where 9/11 terrorists boarded those planes were at the same level as in Europe, the World Trade Center would still be where it was. Besides, did you read Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor"?* I strongly believe he was the one who gave those terrorists the idea of 9/11 assault... Not Osama bin Laden, unfortunately...

Wowee, I never thought I'd be defending the USA, but in your defense (LOL) here I go... Security was only bad for domestic flights. From what I remember, your security for international flights was matching what we have here in Europe. But when I once experienced your domestic security at airports, I was shocked. It was almost like getting on a bus or train here in Europe. This is why I was not surprised that 9/11 took place. Glad things have been perked up now to prevent something like that from happening again, it's just a shame that things are taken over the top. I do understand however how certain people feel it is necessary after what has happened. Whether I think it's a good thing is another irrelevant issue. The "paranoia" culture is forunately not as extreme here  Smile

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:29 pm

Quoting Donder10 (Reply 40):
Terrorists can think for themselves,BlueSky.If anything,you could say he ripped his idea from the planned blowing up of the Eiffel Tower by Algerian nutters in the early-mid 90s(don't remember exact date)with an AF A300.

Nope, Debt of Honor was published in 1994, the Algiers Eiffel Tower hijacking didnt occur until December 24th 1994. I dont think Clancy wrote DoH in 7 days  Smile

mandala499

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:33 pm

That HP A320 pic over the bridge is more of a threat than the BA maintenance crossing... just wait until someone throw a grenade at passing aircraft and maybe cause shrapnel damage on a plane.

I'm more worried about safety risk on that bridge... if a plane become immobilised on the bridge to the extent that it needs evacuation... will there be space for the escape slide (imagine of it's a 747 on that evacuating)...

J/K...

I still don't understand why after the modifications to the BA MX crossing people would still call that a security risk. There's a moving fence and a road block... depending on what needs to cross... road traffic or airplanes... Why would a terrorist be desperate enough to blow up an aircraft in maintenance (empty)... it's people they wanna kill... They might aswell carry a bomb pack and walk through a market/shopping mall... Thank God they don't do that everyday!

Now, I call a runway fence a security risk more so than this.

But to Gibraltar now... "To be quite honest, Gibraltar's airport has its security flaws but the measures adopted go a long way to deter the most boldest of terrorist. At least to considerable limit their chances of success."

I guess most people don't immediately see the security strategy there is not "fencing off"... For every security risk, what'll be your strategy? Just fencing it off and putting patrols out isn't a security strategy. It'll be much harder for me to drive off the path of the road and drive towards a boarding jet and blow myself there than it is to drive through the fence onto a taxiway and blow myself up on a fully laden 747 (soon A380) at some airports... Why? Security isn't always about physical barriers... Layering/obstacles and even psychological barriers can be put in place to prevent nutcases from doing damage... It's all about intelligent security!

Making airport fences like fortress walls will lead to airlines going bust and making you stuck to driving to your holidays! As AMSSPotter puts it nicely... the gate and fence is to keep the masses out, not the nutcases... When the security begins to treat the masses like the nutcases, you got a problem! Security will be overwhelmed and the nutcases will end up slipping by and U'll end up in square one again, but with less in your pocket. Security uses brains... when you use muscles, it means your brains failed at something along the lines!

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Spike

Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:20 am

I personaly hate the whole fucking lot of the 'security' brigade. Rules by idiots for idiots. And I sat in a 747's engine in the UK last week - unauthorised. So they are crap at their jobs too.

AA777

Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:24 am

RJ you are into the typical "American" (read, Bush-ist) irrational fear that everything that isnt guarded by a million officers is not secure. I agree 100 percent with those on this board who say that you need to relax. (And spare me the 9/11 speech, I live in DC as you know, its not like I did not experience it myself.)

-AA777

ANITIX87

Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:40 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 25):
Think that's bad, I am thoroughly distracted while driving past EWR on the Turnpike

Me too, I was coming back from Liberty Science Center and was watching a TAP A340 come in going North and the traffic in front of me had come to a complete stop and I didn't know and was doing 80 MPH. My friend, from the back seat yells, "Holy SH*T!!!!!! STOP!!!" I turned and looked and there was a huge 18-wheeler in front of me, like 80 feet. I slammed on the brakes (thank God for ABS and my 1,800 pound Focus) and stopped about 6 inches short of the truck. Closest call of my life, but it didn't change me looking at the planes!

As for this topic, I'm sure LHR does everything in its power to completely secure the area. Everything in life has its risks, if we avoided danger all the time we'd have no fun.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Gary2880

Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:21 am

as has been stated we have lived with terrorism for years from the IRA (equilly you with your home grown nutters blowing up buildings in oklahoma) we have been blown up to buggery. i dont think alah will be pleased with someone blowing themselfs up killing... only themselfs?

just leave it. get on with your merry little lives. unless you want to live in a bubble rocking slowly back and forth
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Propulsion

Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:31 am

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 20):
OMG! Look at this train: It's stopped at the train station and its doors are open. Anyone could get on it with a bomb and blow it up! It's a major security risk! Let's not travel by train until this is fixed!

Oh look!!! My favourtie LondonUnderground Train, a 1996-stock GEC Alsthom Jubliee Line Train!!!

Nice to see one of those on Airliners.net!!! (Don't you hate the shallow windows, though?)
A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it.

rjpieces

Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:11 pm

*) ...just in case you didn't read the book: at the very end of it a disgruntled JAL pilot crashes 747-400 loaded with fuel into the Capitol.

Wasn't it KLM?

RJ you are into the typical "American" (read, Bush-ist) irrational fear that everything that isnt guarded by a million officers is not secure. I agree 100 percent with those on this board who say that you need to relax. (And spare me the 9/11 speech, I live in DC as you know, its not like I did not experience it myself.)

Honey, spare me your lecture. While you were high in Ivory Tower, I was four blocks away from the WTC.