bmacleod

AC To Increase Fuel Surcharge...again

Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:59 am

If the weekend cancellation of the Boeing order wasn't bad enough, AC has indicated it will have to increase its fuel surcharge yet again.

http://micro.newswire.ca/13213-0.html

AC needs some good news..fast!!   

[Edited 2005-06-20 19:00:22]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

flyyul

RE: AC To Increase Fuel Surcharge...again

Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:44 am

With oil at $60 a barrel... you think its not right for AC to increase the surchage?

C'mon.

EnviroTO

Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting FLYYUL (Reply 1):
With oil at $60 a barrel... you think its not right for AC to increase the surchage?

Isn't the price at $60 a barrel causing problems for all airlines? Why a surcharge instead of raising the fares? I hardly find fuel in the plane a luxurious additional expense. I have problems with the whole idea of surcharges on items that are necessary expenses that we cannot opt out of.

yul332LX

Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:41 am

Quoting EnviroTO (Reply 2):
Isn't the price at $60 a barrel causing problems for all airlines? Why a surcharge instead of raising the fares? I hardly find fuel in the plane a luxurious additional expense. I have problems with the whole idea of surcharges on items that are necessary expenses that we cannot opt out of.

I agree. $50 a barrel has been the standard price for well over a year now so, fares should be increased accordingly.
E volavo, volavo felice più in alto del sole, e ancora più su mentre il mondo pian piano spariva lontano laggiù ...

chrisa330

Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:59 am

Quoting EnviroTO (Reply 2):
Why a surcharge instead of raising the fares?

Actually if you read the press release, AC is increasing domestic fares - as a result of fuel costs. Since last year, there is no seperate fuel surchage for domestic flights, it is all included in the fare.

robsawatsky

Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:01 am

Here is what the Canadian Transportation Agency has to say about surcharges. Unfortunately, they are still letting these surcharges go through even though I believe the airlines would have no problem rolling them into the fares.

"In previous Orders, the Agency stated that it was concerned that the ever-increasing use of surcharges limits consumers' ability to compare advertised air fares, as the advertised price does not usually disclose the true price that the consumer will have to pay at the time of purchase. Accordingly, the Agency is of the opinion that air carriers should make every effort to incorporate surcharges into air fares and avoid such surcharges. If surcharges are used, however, they should only be a temporary measure, which air carriers use to respond to unforeseen and unavoidable increases in their costs."

Leskova

Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:06 am

Just FYI, at the office, I received messages about 4 or 5 other airlines increasing their fuel surcharge as well today - be it through taxes, or through Q-surcharges, but not a single one of them (sorry, don't have the list of airlines here right now) actually announced they'd be increasing the fares.
Smile - it confuses people!

yyz717

Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:33 am

A fuel surcharge is the correct approach, as opposed to a general fare increase. A fuel surcharge is more transparent and can be more easily identified (and hence removed) should fuel prices drop.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

airtran737

Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:35 am

All airlines need to add either a fuel surcharge, or jack up the ticket prices. The LCC's need to participate in this increase as well.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

EnviroTO

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 7):
A fuel surcharge is the correct approach, as opposed to a general fare increase. A fuel surcharge is more transparent and can be more easily identified (and hence removed) should fuel prices drop.

Only if the advertised price includes the fuel surcharge can I agree with that statement. I have no problem with seeing a cost breakdown for transparency, but if one price is shown it should be the all inclusive one.

yyz717

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:11 am

Quoting EnviroTO (Reply 9):
Only if the advertised price includes the fuel surcharge can I agree with that statement. I have no problem with seeing a cost breakdown for transparency, but if one price is shown it should be the all inclusive one.

If oil prices drop on an sustained basis, it is up to AC customers to "demand" the fuel surcharge component be rescinded.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Biggles

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:27 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 7):

Has AC ever decreased it's fuel surcharge ??

EK156

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:29 am

I will give it another week before all airlines decide to increase fuel surcharge unless the price of the Oil Barrel drops! And now with it being peak season during summer, we are going to have to absorb the surcharge... as usual!!!

ac7e7

Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:20 am

Quoting Biggles (Reply 11):
Has AC ever decreased it's fuel surcharge ??

Yes they have.

acidradio
Crew

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:51 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 8):
All airlines need to add either a fuel surcharge, or jack up the ticket prices. The LCC's need to participate in this increase as well.

Hey it's their business model, not yours or mine!  Smile
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone