Jalto27R
Topic Author

Two Aircraft Now Missing In New Jersey

Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:59 am

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-19-jersey-plane_x.htm

"State police were searching Sunday morning for a small plane missing near Sussex Airport. The pilot lost radio contact with authorities about 7:30 a.m. while returning to the airport after reporting trouble with his plane, said Jim Peters, spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration. Peters said the plane took off from the single-strip Sussex Airport shortly before it went missing. The pilot radioed the FAA in Westbury, N.Y., to report trouble with the aircraft before it lost radio contact."

http://www.nbc10.com/news/4631014/detail.html

"The chopper, with two people aboard, didn't arrive for an expected refueling at Hammonton Airport on Sunday night. Navickas' daughter told NBC 10 her father was flying an experimental jet-propelled helicopter he had assembled, a Loadrunner 2000. The craft had taken off from Elmer in Salem County after its two occupants had been at a wedding."

The first story about the C182 hits home because a lot of my fellow Civil Air Patrol members are up there looking for the guy, and have been for two days now. They are looking for more people to help relieve them because of the rough terrain. Any comments welcome,

Mike

777ER
Crew

RE: Two Aircraft Now Missing In New Jersey

Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:15 pm

As much as people hate air crashes, sadly its obvious now, these aircraft won't return.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

ikramerica

Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:36 pm

This guy out in Pasadena did survive on Friday:

emergency landing on the 134 freeway

I saw him interviewed on the news, and his face is really ripped up, though he's been sewn back together and at home. He should recover after some cosmetic surgery. The plane was upside down and his head was scraping against the asphalt once the canopy broke away. The female pilot inside was not injured, AFAIK, and no body on the freeway was hurt.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:29 pm

As an update, both aircraft are STILL missing. Very sad indeed. Here is an email I recieved on the mission to locate the missing helicopter.

Subject : [NJCAP] Mission 05M1023A

The wing is working with the NJ State Police and Atlantic County Composite OEM to locate a missing helicopter in the Hammonton area.
We were called in Sunday, 19 June at 22315Z by the AFRCC to assist the search by air for the helicopter.
One CAP Aircraft was dispatched and one Ground Team investigated a densely overgrown area for an area with a weak signal on 121.5 MHz.
No strong signals were detected and the mission was suspended until morning.

Monday, 20 June

Detailed route searches were conducted by air throughout the day search aircraft included 2 CAP aircraft, NJ State Police and USCG Helicopters.
Intermittent reports of weak signals on 121.5 were investigated. A CAP Ground Team assisted in ruling out suspected debris areas.
Ground visibility is low in this area due to dense tree canopies and underbrush.

Tuesday, 21 June

The search will resume today at 1000 hrs local time.
Mission Pilots and Aircrew are needed as well as Ground Team Qualified personnel.
In addition, Mission Base Staff are needed.
If you are available, contact me by phone at the number below.
I will not have easy access to email throughout the day.

Thank you,

Major Marianne Ferland, CAP
Incident Commander 05M1023A

Here is a picture of the missing helicopter:
(thanks to Paul Kanagie 'Runway27R')
http://img289.echo.cx/img289/8094/ck2003015ub.jpg

Mike

phl27rphotog

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:36 am

N200LR wreckage and bodies have now been found in Hamilton Twp., near the Atlantic City Expressway.
BillShullPhotography

Bohlman

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:40 am

Very sad indeed. I hope for the best.
I'm not pro-Boeing or pro-Airbus, I'm pro-crew all the way.

Ricci767

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:45 am

Very very sad. But that is one ugly helicopter. What kind is it?

ERJ170

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:49 am

Quoting Ricci767 (Reply 6):
Very very sad. But that is one ugly helicopter

This really is sad  cry  , but what Ricci767 said was just too funny..  rotfl 
Aiming High and going far..

ltbewr

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:05 am

I have been at the Sussex Airport where the missing a/c from there took off from. For a number of years, that airport has held a very good air show, with a national level aerobotic and stunt flying show, usually held in late August. One of the preformers for many years was a mainline commercial airline pilot. Sussex airport is popular with commercial airline pilots for their GA flights and live in that extreme northern area of New Jersey (only a few miles from the northern tip of the state of NJ). Significant parts in that area of NJ include local, state and federal park/forest land, private wooded areas, old farms, ponds and small lakes and increasily more large homes and lots. One fear from the Sussex crash is that the plane may have ended up in a lake or large pond, and just not visible or is in deep woods. I do fear that the pilot (the only person on the a/c) is dead. God rest his soul.

richierich

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:10 am

It really is too bad that the helicopter crashed. Not good - I wish the best for the families and friends of the victims.

The C182 is still missing - it could be a while before it is found, especially if it crashed in at a near-vertical angle. I hope this is not the case but I can't think of another reason as to why this plane hasn't been found. With the area around Sussex being quite rural and having a relatively dense tree cover this time of year, it will be hard to spot wreckage from the air. Still, one hopes for a miracle.

This sort of reminds me of a LearJet that crashed in New Hampshire a few years ago. The wreckage wasn't found for years... I find it hard to believe that here we are, in 2005, and can't find wreckage of a crashed plane in New Jersey but I guess it is not as easy as it sounds.
None shall pass!!!!

ikramerica

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:15 am

sussex, that's where "space farms" is. pretty rural, as densely populated new jersey goes.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:20 am

Well you guys beat me to it, my friends are back from the wreckage now. Supposedly Civil Air Patrol guided a NJSP helicopter over the site, and some forest service personel were first to arrive on the ground. Both dead, a sad thing indeed. Supposedly now there are bulldozers clearing a path for the NTSB to get to the crash site. Also, as of 3PM the C182 has still not been located.

Mike

N766UA

Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:12 am

Oh, CAP is looking for them? Well, no wonder the 182 is still missing!  silly 

Kidding aside, I feel for the pilots. I know a couple of people personally who have been in aviation accidents, and it's not fun. I sure hope I'm fortunate enough not to ever have to worry about someone finding me in the forest.
This Website Censors Me

runway27right

Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:07 am

Quoting Ricci767 (Reply 6):
Very very sad. But that is one ugly helicopter. What kind is it?

It's a LOADMASTER 2000, but it looks like a frog to me.  Smile
Keeping PHL Spotting Alive Daily!

runway27right

Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:11 am

Ooops, make that a Load Runner, not Load Master.
Keeping PHL Spotting Alive Daily!